The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bracketology, Round 2, Week 6

ROUND 2, WEEK 6

Here are this week's brackets. Remember, you can also view the brackets on this site. Voting is now open, and you have until 11:59 PM Pacific time on this upcoming Saturday to vote. Vote either in this thread or e-mail me.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 19
#39: "Jumpin' Jack Flash" - The Rolling Stones
#90: "Ghost Town" - The Specials
#167: "Many Rivers to Cross" - Jimmy Cliff
#295: "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" - Eurythmics

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 20
#20: "A Day in the Life" - The Beatles
#148: "I Feel Love" - Donna Summer
#237: "Shout, Pts. 1-2" - The Isley Brothers
#404: "Clint Eastwood" - Gorillaz

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 17
#4: "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nirvana
#132: "Creep" - Radiohead
#388: "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - The Beatles
#772: "That's When I Reach for My Revolver" - Mission of Burma

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 18
#50: "Common People" - Pulp
#178: "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell
#434: "A Hard Day's Night" - The Beatles
#818: "Just What I Needed" - The Cars

REMINDER: You must comment on ALL the songs in order for your ballot to count.

Re: Bracketology, Round 2, Week 6

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 19
#39: "Jumpin' Jack Flash" - The Rolling Stones (Best of the stones)
#295: "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" - Eurythmics (80's pop at it's best)
#167: "Many Rivers to Cross" - Jimmy Cliff (Marely runs circles around him. It's a shame he didn't make it to this round)
#90: "Ghost Town" - The Specials (90 all time?)

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 20
#20: "A Day in the Life" - The Beatles (This isn't even a competition)
#237: "Shout, Pts. 1-2" - The Isley Brothers (Good, but not good enough)
#404: "Clint Eastwood" - Gorillaz (one of the better 2000's songs)
#148: "I Feel Love" - Donna Summer (Blehhh)

Best bracket of the week vvv
CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 17
#4: "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nirvana (Should not be fourth all time, but it is great)
#388: "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - The Beatles (Eric Clapton add a lot to this song)
#132: "Creep" - Radiohead (This song is F***ing special)
#772: "That's When I Reach for My Revolver" - Mission of Burma (No shot)

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 18
#818: "Just What I Needed" - The Cars (Great song from one of my favorite albums)
#434: "A Hard Day's Night" - The Beatles (With three songs this week, the Beatles are bound to get one through)
#178: "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell (Not a big fan)
#50: "Common People" - Pulp (Never liked it)

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 19
#167: "Many Rivers to Cross" - Jimmy Cliff ~ I think this'll have to win out, since I always find most Specials songs including Ghost Town are balancing precariously on the line between classic, and imitative pub rock. Besides, the sheer hope Cliff brings out in this, along with the gospel-like arrangements and progressions, are simply untouchable. From an amazing soundtrack for a great film.
#90: "Ghost Town" - The Specials ~ It's easily up there for best Specials song. It has a great contrast between the 2 Tone, more dismal genre they were pioneering, and the Jamaican feel-good ska before them - 'the good old days before the ghost town'. The gradually sparse and bleak ending encapsulates it perfectly.
#39: "Jumpin' Jack Flash" - The Rolling Stones ~ It's a good song, but it simply can't compete with the likes of the above. I do have a softer spot for Ananda Shankar's rendition, though.
#295: "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" - Eurythmics ~ It's not a particularly thrilling piece of synthpop anyway, so there's no way in hell it's going to win this bracket.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 20
#237: "Shout, Pts. 1-2" - The Isley Brothers ~ A fantastic fusion of rock and roll, gospel and doo-wop, into something that sounds seriously ahead of its time in 1959 - mostly thanks to how progressive it is in its number of sections, let alone "Parts 1 and 2".
#148: "I Feel Love" - Donna Summer ~ It represented the future on I Remember Yesterday, and just so happened to bring the future to its present. One of the earliest, and best, examples of synth-pop. The chord progressions are just genius.
#20: "A Day in the Life" - The Beatles ~ It's cacophonous. It's a mess. It's a sloppy pastiche of Lennon and McCartney's differing musical styles, separated by an original interlude so bland that the engineer had to count how many bars they had left until McCartney's part (in fact, you can still hear this, and the signalling alarm clock on the final record). But then they added that orchestra. And that piano chord. And that ending loop thing. I don't know if I should praise them for being geniuses, or praising LSD for making them do it. It's definitely not one of my favourite Beatles songs, but it is one of their definitive songs.
#404: "Clint Eastwood" - Gorillaz ~ I like Gorillaz, and I like them for what they do, even if that's rapping, but I don't feel like they could win in this bracket, especially with this song. It's just a bit too long and repetitive.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 17
#132: "Creep" - Radiohead ~ The earliest signs of potential that Radiohead were soon going to become the world's greatest rock band. It also just happened to be their first single. They sure hit the ground running.
#772: "That's When I Reach for My Revolver" - Mission of Burma ~ The chorus of this is amazing, and really fleshes out what Mission of Burma did here; they're obviously taking notes from the post-punk scene, but it almost seems like a bridge between that and grunge, especially in the verses. It's great either way, though.
#388: "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - The Beatles ~ People always say this is the best thing on the White Album, and I really don't see how. I don't like the way Eric Clapton punctuates the introduction with his guitar, and he seems rather out of place anyway. The chorus is great, but the verses have gotten a tad too annoying for it all to retain greatness.
#4: "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nirvana ~ OBSCENELY overrated. The lyrics seem to be a hodgepodge of random word association, and put way too much effort into trying to sound cryptic or clever. It doesn't deserve anywhere near the amount of recognition it gets.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 18
#178: "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell ~ Beautiful song. This is one of the positive arguments for the evolution of country into the Nashville sound; those string arrangements are absolutely stunning. It soars in this pretty weak bracket, too.
#818: "Just What I Needed" - The Cars ~ Superlative power pop. I'm always up for a bit of The Cars when I'm down. Getting Orr to sing is really suitable for this song, and Easton's guitar solo is so damn great, too.
#50: "Common People" - Pulp ~ I hate Jarvis Cocker, even if his hateability is only expressed through sound. I suppose this isn't too bad a song, though, especially when he actually puts some gusto into his singing voice.
#434: "A Hard Day's Night" - The Beatles ~ It's not bad, and that opening chord (which happens to be another pastiche of notes) has eluded musicians for decades, but ultimately, that's the most compelling thing in the song, so compared to the above songs, you might as well just stay for the first second or so of this.

This week has way too much Beatles.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 19 (weak)
1. #39: "Jumpin' Jack Flash" - The Rolling Stones / I like the Stones and I like this single, and that makes it a very easy winner in this bracket.
2. #167: "Many Rivers to Cross" - Jimmy Cliff / Quite beautiful and definitely better than the next two songs.
3. #295: "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" - Eurythmics / Very catchy, but too much synth-pop for me and a little repetitve as well. There's even a famous cover with better production that I prefer.
4. #90: "Ghost Town" - The Specials / #90, are you kidding me? Not very listenable in my ears. Ska...

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 20 (average)
1. #20: "A Day in the Life" - The Beatles / My favorite Beatles song. Sweeps the competition.
2. #404: "Clint Eastwood" - Gorillaz / Very interesting song and the best one of Gorillaz in my opinion. Nice blend of styles and still very original.
3. #237: "Shout, Pts. 1-2" - The Isley Brothers / Fun of course, but a litte dated and simple.
4. #148: "I Feel Love" - Donna Summer / Way ahead of it's time, but not my kind of music. The mix of her voice with the disco/house-sound is interesting though.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 17 (strong)
1. #132: "Creep" - Radiohead / Just ahead of both #2 and #3, but still, it's the first great song of Radiohead. Not in line with what they would do after Pablo Honey, but a good song in it's own right.
2. #388: "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - The Beatles / One of George Harrison's best songs and one of the better songs on The Beatles. It's a pity that this Beatles song should meet #3 in this stage.
3. #4: "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nirvana / Not my favorite song of Nirvana, maybe because I've heard it too often. But undisputable a very good song.
4. #772: "That's When I Reach for My Revolver" - Mission of Burma / No way this noise comes even close to any of the three songs above.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 18 (weak)
1. #50: "Common People" - Pulp / Just a good hit. Not very great in my eyes, but good enough to beat the other three songs.
2. #178: "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell / The first couple of seconds are horrible, but after that this one is pleasant, except for the short instrumental parts.
3. #434: "A Hard Day's Night" - The Beatles / The opening chord is classic and very recognisable, but I don't really dig the Beatles of before (roughly) '65 very much.
4. #818: "Just What I Needed" - The Cars / The rythm section is O.K., but I don't like the synthersizer here. Neither the song as a whole.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 19
Lots of fun, but not one of my favorite Stones songs. Still tops this bracket.
The message remains poignant and the song is very well composed and performed.
Annie Lennox sings to me in this song. So much better than "Ghost Town" in my view.
Like many others, I am amazed that this song is rated so high in the AM rankings.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 20
Easily wins this bracket for me. I find the extended note at the end to be particularly obnoxious.
I don't go out of my way to listen to this song, but it still satisfies.
I haven't quite figured out why this song is so widely acclaimed.
Interesting when it was first a hit. I won't skip it now, at least not more that 25% of the time.
CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 17
On some days, this is my favorite Radiohead song. Excellent transistions
Solid song. One of my favorite Harrison songs and I thoroughly enjoy Clapton's contributions.
Very good song, tremendous energy and provides a great anti-commercial perspective. Could be the top pick in many other brackets.
Not sure how this song got to round 2, but I like it more than Clint Eastwood.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 18
I've enjoyed this song for more than 40 years; and I still look forward to hearing it.
I just discovered this song a few years ago and it won me over very quickly.
Probably my favorite Glen Campbell song and a very worthy competitor.
Solid song, but it isn't a complete shame that it comes in 4th in the second round.

Henry

Like many others, I am amazed that this song is rated so high in the AM rankings.

I'm pretty sure the reason songs like that are so high is because they were released during years when few good songs came out, so when the end of the year lists come out, they are given better ratings.

HAYDN BLOC, Bracket 19

1. The Specials - Ghost Town
As ska goes, you really can't do much better than the Specials, and as the Specials go, you can't do much better than Ghost Town.
2. Jimmy Cliff - Many Rivers To Cross
I've listened to this bracket about 5 times now, and it pains me so much to put this song 2nd, it's a lot more achingly tender as a song, but Ghost Town is just one of those "guilty pleasures".
3. The Rolling Stones - Jumpin Jack Flash
I've always been a bit of a Stones sceptic, but even I can appreciate this song, if not love it.
4. Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams
Nice, but I like the other songs more. After a couple of listens it becomes grating.

BRAHMS BLOC, Bracket 20

1. The Beatles - A Day In The Life
It has everything, doesn't it? The alarm clock, the creaking chair, the 30 seconds just after Mccartney's section where John Lennon is just wailing which sounds like just heaven to me.
2. The Isley Bros - Shout
So brilliant. This is the type of song, where when it comes up on a TV advert, you just close your eyes and bop a tiny bit.
3. Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood
I've always liked Gorillaz type music, where they just get every genre of music and put it in a blender. This is not the best though.
4. Donna Summer - I Feel Love
Excellent song. How did I make this 4th?? I hate this Bracketology business.

CHOPIN BLOC, Bracket 17

1. Smells Like Teen Spirit
The definitive song of the nineties. I'm not even a big fan of Nirvana, but everyone likes Smells Like Teen Spirit.
2. The Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps
A real full bodied song on an album with few full bodied songs.
3. Radiohead - Creep
I've begun to hate this song. When someone comes up to me and says "I really like Radiohead, my favourite song is Creep", I just shudder.
4. Mission Of Burma - That's When I Reach For My Revolver
What a peculiar song. How did it get through to the second round?

LISZT BLOC, Bracket 18

1. Pulp - Common People
Who knew that among this Blur v Oasis era, the best band of the genre would actually be Pulp? This is more expansive that anything they did, great lyrics and great intensity.
2. Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman
When he goes "...is still on the liiine", my heart tears in half.
3. The Cars - Just What I Needed
How can anyone hate this song? It's the equivalent of a fruit smoothie, a massive pick-me-up.
4. The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night
Never liked the Beatles until Revolver. Too simple, too conservative, just a bit boring in general.

Listyguy
Henry

I'm pretty sure the reason songs like that are so high is because they were released during years when few good songs came out, so when the end of the year lists come out, they are given better ratings.

I don't like "Ghost Town" either and 1981 is a rather weak year, but this type of logic makes absolutely no sense.

Jackson
Listyguy
Henry

I don't like "Ghost Town" either and 1981 is a rather weak year, but this type of logic makes absolutely no sense.

Actually the number of year-end lists is pretty low compared to all-time lists, and they are weighted differently. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

A better explanation is that The Specials were very influential in the history of ska, particularly the 2 Tone variety, and they were fairly popular and acclaimed in the UK in their day, and they were culturally significant too, being a multiracial group in an era where immigrants were largely frowned upon by British society. (Look up Eric Clapton's remarks on the subject, that was the status quo of the day.) So in hindsight lots of British publications like Mojo and Q put them on their all-time lists.

Alex D
Jackson
Listyguy
Henry

Actually the number of year-end lists is pretty low compared to all-time lists, and they are weighted differently. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

A better explanation is that The Specials were very influential in the history of ska, particularly the 2 Tone variety, and they were fairly popular and acclaimed in the UK in their day, and they were culturally significant too, being a multiracial group in an era where immigrants were largely frowned upon by British society. (Look up Eric Clapton's remarks on the subject, that was the status quo of the day.) So in hindsight lots of British publications like Mojo and Q put them on their all-time lists.

Reguardless of the reasoning, Ghost Town should not be at 90!

or it could just be that "Ghost Town" is a great song. Just saying...

As usual, my level of english is too poor for comment all these songs, sorry, but I want to make my classement.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 19
Ghost town is an incredible song, one of the beautiful and strange "air" on modern music. I love a lot the three other songs.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 20
I don't love the third and fourth songs. Clint Eastwood deserves to be well ranked.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 17
Good ranking for these four songs. I do not even know the fourth.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 18
The two first are equally good. The third is listenable but the Glen Campbell's song , what is this shit ?

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 19
1. "Jumpin' Jack Flash" - The Rolling Stones - Not one of their very best but still a kickass song.
2. "Ghost Town" - The Specials - It's very eerie and deliberately slow, which is I why I like it yet it's probably getting railed in this vote for the same reasons.
3. "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" - Eurythmics - When someone says "archetypal '80s pop song" if I don't say "When Doves Cry" I say this.
4. "Many Rivers to Cross" - Jimmy Cliff - A great song in a very tough bracket. Common theme for #4's this week.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 20
1. "A Day in the Life" - The Beatles - Does this really require comments?
2. "Shout, Pts. 1-2" - The Isley Brothers - The most exuberant recording I have ever heard. (Second? "Hey Ya". Third? "She Loves You". That's off the top of my head.)
3. "Clint Eastwood" - Gorillaz - A good song, but a drop-off from the first two.
4. "I Feel Love" - Donna Summer - Donna Summer? Don't you mean Giorgio Moroder?

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 17

Holy crap this was hard. I think #1-3 are all amazing songs and choosing between them was like picking my favorite child.

1. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - The Beatles - I'm putting this in first because I think it is one of the most important recordings the Fab Four ever made. It's the beginning of the "Get Back" era and the end of the psychedelic era. It's the Beatles' best rock song (as opposed to their earlier, poppier material) and though I'm sure every Beatles fan knows the backstory with Eric Clapton, look it up if you don't. Not to mention the contrast between the tension in the verses and the release in the chorus is exceptionally well done.
2. "Creep" - Radiohead - Radiohead knew what they were doing when they put this out. All of the guys in that band are brilliant, and they knew what it took to get famous while writing a brilliant single. Yeah, it's depressing on the surface, but it's beautiful underneath, and it struck a deep emotional chord with an entire generation without being too involved for commercial consumption.
3. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nirvana - It's everything you would want for the single that broke alternative rock - big, loud, dumb, and catchy, which is everything alternative isn't supposed to be, but Nirvana didn't compromise anything in putting this out.
4. "That's When I Reach for My Revolver" - Mission of Burma - It pains me to put this in last, because it would have a shot at winning the first two brackets. Bad draw here, though AM folk have been rather disparaging in their comments.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 18
1. "Common People" - Pulp - I hated, hated, hated it at first. I thought it was corny and unmemorable. Then it clicked. Now I love it.
2. "A Hard Day's Night" - The Beatles - It's everything you'd expect from an early Beatles single - fun, catchy and unprecedented (as in that chord). You get the feeling that John and Paul couldn't help but smile even though they were singing about being tired and forlorn.
3. "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell - Every time I have to listen to country music at work and I think that country is terrible, I remind myself to this song and sing a line or two to myself.
4. "Just What I Needed" - The Cars - Strong song, stronger bracket.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 19
Great song but doesn't compare to most of what they did in the following four years.
Another great song.
Good song but doesn't belong in the final 64.
Great pop song, a little too repetetive.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 20
I've said all I could say about it in round one. It is a great Beatles song but I still don't understand why a lot of people see it among as their best, or why it keeps getting top three in our best song ever polls. When I listen to it it feels like just another good song on a great album.
Really fun song from a really fun band.
Really good energy.
Okay song, way out of it's league.

One of the best brackets yet in this competition. Three songs that could easily have been my #1 in other brackets.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 17
The song that launched the career of one of the greatest bands of all time. It hits the atmosphere perfectly, it hits all the notes of alienation and self-judgment.
The iconic song for an entire genre. Maybe that makes it slightly overrated, but it still easily belongs on best ever lists.
It took a ridiculously good bracket for me to put this all the way down in #3.
Good song, but totally outclassed in this bracket.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 18
Really great song, with really awesome lyrics. It's a board favorite for a reason.
One of the Beatles' best pop singles. OH MY GOD, the Beatles just ran into that car! Everybody mob the car, but pay no attention to the other side of the car! Just the side they went in!
Too poppy and hooky, but somewhat enjoyable.
Good melody but a little emotionally bland, and the string section makes it sound a little cheesy.

Listyguy
Henry

That wouldn't happen with Henrik's formula. In Henrik's formula, songs are rated relative to other songs eligable for the list. So being best in a bad year would only put it above the other songs from that year.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 19

1. "Many Rivers to Cross" - Jimmy Cliff

Gorgeous and moving reggae classic, winning a very close bracket across the board.

2. "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" - Eurythmics

Still sounds fresh after all these years...

3. "Jumpin' Jack Flash" - The Rolling Stones

It would be great if number 1 hits could be as raw and subversive as this again.

4. "Ghost Town" - The Specials

Tough for this to land in 4th, as it is very good.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 20

1. "I Feel Love" - Donna Summer

I'm dismayed by the general attitude against entire genres here, such as rap, country, and yes, disco. Brian Eno said this song was the future, and he was absolutely right. It also sounds absolutely amazing, like Neu! meeting Funkadelic or something similarly bizarre.

2. "A Day in the Life" - The Beatles

This will win this bracket, and it is certainly great.

3. "Clint Eastwood" - Gorillaz

Very good but a long way down from the top 2.

4. "Shout, Pts. 1-2" - The Isley Brothers

Still fun at a party, but in a quaint way.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 17

1. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nirvana

Y'know, for a while I thought this was overrated, but I've changed my stance, as its overplay has lessened with time. The incoherent lyrics are the point, y'know (it's not like Cobain couldn't write lyrics), and the Boston rip is slightly ironic but more celebratory. Plus, I still feel like crashing into people when I hear it, and it's been A WHILE since I did that.

2. "That's When I Reach for My Revolver" - Mission of Burma

The lackluster attitude toward this great post-punk band saddens me, even if "Academy Fight Song" is way better than this.

3. "Creep" - Radiohead

Another song that I crashed into people to in the early '90s, and it still is damn good, even if it barely resembles the Radiohead I grew to love.

4. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - The Beatles

A little overwrought, though again very good.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 18

1. "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell

The harsh criticism of this song here is sadly predictable, though I'm totally baffled by comments like it's emotionally bland. The song is obviously about the ravages of isolation on a person who misses the one he loves, but who is trying to keep a stiff upper lip. The image of the telephone lineman on a desolate highway matches up with the theme perfectly. And the arrangement is amazing and perfectly played -- honestly, if this were on Pet Sounds and not by an ostensibly "country" artist (though this is '60s pop, really, just country in name), people would be falling over themselves to praise it at every turn. Really, it's perfect.

2. "Just What I Needed" - The Cars

Great pop, delivering the goods, and one of the earliest great '80s songs. (Yes, I know it was 1978, you pedants!)

3. "Common People" - Pulp

Very effective, though there are songs I like better by Pulp. I guess I don't wholly buy Jarvis Cocker's outrage, which sorta ruins it for me.

4. "A Hard Day's Night" - The Beatles

Obviously lots of fun, but has blended into the woodwork for me by now. The album is great; I always skip the opener.

sonofsamiam

The harsh criticism of this song here is sadly predictable, though I'm totally baffled by comments like it's emotionally bland.

I was speaking more of the vocal delivery than the lyrics. The lyrics are very emotional, but I don't hear those emotions in his voice. It's like he's on the same mood stabilizers as James Taylor.

HAYDN 19
1. SWEET DREAMS (ARE MADE OF THIS). Eurythmics are the #332 artist on AM, which seems about right. But for the four minutes of this song, they distilled perfection.
2. JUMPIN’ JACK FLASH. Somehow, a song which includes images of being beaten with a strap and having a spike driven through one’s head now sounds like the most adorable song in the Stones’ 1968-69 output.
3. GHOST TOWN. Wow, this one’s generated a lot of heat…it’s an OK song which is still not as good as 90% of the material on their first album. My guess is that its overrated ranking owes much to its political context—it’s an anti-Thatcher blast from (I think) the first year of her government, by one of the most critically respected UK bands of their time.
4. MANY RIVERS TO CROSS. Nice, but an easy #4.

BRAHMS 20
1. A DAY IN THE LIFE. With the company it’s keeping here, should continue to cruise steadily into round three, as it should.
2. I FEEL LOVE. Even though I was vaguely aware of disco when this came out, I don’t remember hearing it until it was played before a U2 concert 20 years after its release. Context is everything—I was ready for it by then.
3. CLINT EASTWOOD. One day, I’m going to assemble a Damon Albarn greatest hits playlist, just to take in the full breadth of one of the most varied and accomplished musical careers of the last 20 years. This will be the first Gorillaz song on the list.
4. SHOUT, PTS. 1-2. I’m gratified that the Isleys’ best and most famous song rode into the second round. That’s exactly as far as it should go.

CHOPIN 17
1. SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT. Nirvana may have erred when they made one of the greatest songs in rock history…few bands could have been less suited to the role of Rock’s Last Best Hope, and their inevitable alleged imitators just made everything sludgy for a decade. If you want a band to carry a flag, ring Dublin. These guys were just Nirvana. And they were brilliant.
2. THAT’S WHEN I REACH FOR MY REVOLVER. In a relatively soft bracket, I have no problem with putting the two blasts of punk in the top half.
3. CREEP. I’ve absorbed Radiohead’s last six albums so thoroughly they may now be in my DNA, but this still sounds like the work of a one-hit wonder (albeit one of the finest ever).
4. WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS. I’ve got nothing to add to my previous comments. Just don’t care for it.

LISZT 18
1. COMMON PEOPLE. Part of the genius of this song (unlike, say, “Ghost Town”) is that, although it starts with the specific, it quickly moves into the general.
2. A HARD DAY’S NIGHT. The Beatles usually responded well to pressure, and the onus on their next album following their conquest of the world had to be massive. John and Paul came through brilliantly, nowhere more than on this title track, which was written and recorded remarkably fast, to boot.
3. JUST WHAT I NEEDED. For some reason, I’ve been thinking of ELO as an interesting comparison to the Cars. Jeff Lynne and Ric Ocasek, close contemporaries, more or less consciously combined old-fashioned songcraft (read: Beatles) with contemporary trappings. But where the Cars sounded kind of like Wire, ELO sounded kind of like Queen…and that made a world of difference.
4. WICHITA LINEMAN. I still love this song, but this happens to be the strongest group of the week.

(Oh, and all my MOPS choices would have been the same.)

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 19
"Jumpin' Jack Flash" - The Rolling Stones
One of the most badass, rough and tough songs from the Stones, which says a lot.
"Ghost Town" - The Specials
Hey, I like it. It's probably the only ska song that I can honestly say is "incredible" in every sense of the term. It sounds creepy, yet poppy.
"Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" - Eurythmics
Great synthpop song. In fact, this and "Tainted Love" may be the greatest synthpop songs. They give 80's pop music a good name.
"Many Rivers to Cross" - Jimmy Cliff
Really good reggae tune, but still the weakest song here.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 20
"A Day in the Life" - The Beatles
Most days when you ask me what my all time favorite song is I'll respond with "A Day in the Life". On the other days it's "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out".
"Shout, Pts. 1-2" - The Isley Brothers
Energetic, pop soul doo wop funky blend of music. It's "Hey Ya" before "Hey Ya" came out.
"Clint Eastwood" - Gorillaz
Damon Albarn is a musical genius, and this song is the finest Gorillaz song there is.
"I Feel Love" - Donna Summer
One of the few great disco songs, and it's a shame to put it at number 4.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 17
"Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nirvana
What else can I say about this song that hasn't been said already? It's the anthem of a generation, it's so acclaimed that I'm convinced that any major publication that makes a "greatest songs of the 90's list" has to under law, put this at number 1.
"Creep" - Radiohead
Although they have better songs, and although this sounds nothing like the Radiohead we all know and love, when you get right down to it this song is great. Oh yeah, and who hasn't air guitared to the bit right before the chorus? You know which bit I'm talking about.
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - The Beatles
The Beatles were so good that when I made a top ten Beatles list, this song wasn't on it. Almost any other band in existence would have this song in their top 3 or top 5 songs. So it's great, and if you need any proof that Clapton is God, this isn't a bad place to start.
"That's When I Reach for My Revolver" - Mission of Burma
It's a good song in a much stronger bracket.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 18
"Common People" - Pulp
It's epic pop. It's disco rock. Dance music britpop. The beauty of the song is how it builds up over time. The first time I heard it I listened to the radio edit and all I could think of was "well this is a good song and all, but no way should it make the top 100 songs of all time list." Then I heard the full 6 minute version, and that all changed. It's a top ten song of all time for me now. The build up is enormous. From Jarvis's hushed whisper to his near frantic screaming of the chorus, the whole song flows so well. You think Stairway to Heaven is epic? You've never heard Common People.
"A Hard Day's Night" - The Beatles
It's a classic, plain and simple. From the crashing opening chords to the short little fade out at the end. Everyone knows this song, and for good reason too.
"Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell
Not a huge fan of country, but this song certainly makes a compelling argument for it.
"Just What I Needed" - The Cars
I like The Cars, and even though this is probably their best song (either this or the fantastic "Drive") it isn't good enough to finish any higher than last.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 19
1. "Jumpin' Jack Flash" - The Rolling Stones: Probably my favorite Stones single (although not my favorite track overall) – immortal riff, iconic lyrics, and extraordinary production (simultaneously clean and dirty) by the great Jimmy Miller.
2. "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" – Eurythmics: One of the most inescapable and distinctive songs of the Eighties. Fortunately, it holds up remarkably well – even it gave no clue of just how versatile Annie and Dave really were.
3. "Many Rivers to Cross" - Jimmy Cliff: A beautiful song, beautifully sung, that’s in a tough bracket.
4. "Ghost Town" - The Specials: I like this one the more I hear it, but I’m just not down with all the acclaim yet.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 20
1. "A Day in the Life" - The Beatles: Easiest #1 of the week, by far. Is it their greatest recording? Hard to say. It’s certainly their most ambitious, and as I’ve said often, it’s a perfect melding of everything great about both Lennon and McCartney (not least, Paul’s willingness to let a perfect little miniature get incorporated into John’s grander vision).
2. "Clint Eastwood" – Gorillaz: As brilliant as the two follow-up albums have been, the smash hit from Gorillaz’ debut is still their best individual track. Insidiously catchy and hooky.
3. "I Feel Love" - Donna Summer: State-of-the-art disco.
4. "Shout, Pts. 1-2" - The Isley Brothers: A fine, fun record that I kind of hope I never hear again.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 17
1. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" – Nirvana: Same old Round 2 story – incredible top-to-bottom bracket, but topped by an easy #1. The other three are all outstanding in every way, but this is a Before-and-After record if there ever was one.
2. "That's When I Reach for My Revolver" - Mission of Burma: I need to spend some time delving into the knotty, brainy pleasures of the rest of MoB’s catalog, but this one has a startling immediacy and passion that very few songs by ANYONE have matched.
3. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - The Beatles: By far, the best song George had written up to that point, and one of the true standouts on the White Album, not least because of its Very Special Guest Guitar God/Future Wife-Stealer.
4. "Creep" – Radiohead: It’s ironic that this is in the same bracket as “Teen Spirit”; how impossible is it to remember that after it hit RH were seen as Cobain wannabes and all-but-certain one-hit wonders? It’s better than that, of course, but it’s SH2B4 time here.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 18
1. "Common People" – Pulp: See my comments on #1 directly above, with the exception of the Before-and-After remark. “Common People” wasn’t groundbreaking in that way, but I may prefer it. As I and many others have said, it starts out seeming arch and ironic, but as the arrangement builds to an apocalyptic fury you realize, no, Cocker means every damn word.
2. "Just What I Needed" - The Cars: The kid who grew up listening to classic rock is the one who’s putting this at #2, without apology. I’ve loved everything about this record since I first heard it, from the slamming intro to the amazing guitar solo (Elliott Easton: most underrated guitarist ever?) to Greg Hawkes’s unforgettable synth coda.
3. "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell: One of the most mysteriously beautiful recordings of all time. Campbell’s kind of a douche and Webb’s kind of overrated and pretentious, but they made magic here.
4. "A Hard Day's Night" - The Beatles: SH2B4. A brilliant, gleaming recording, but in this bracket, a surprisingly easy #4.

I'm clearly now up on my internet lingo, even though I'm 14.
What does SH2B4 mean?

Listyguy
I'm clearly now up on my internet lingo, even though I'm 14.
What does SH2B4 mean?

Something has to be fourth.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 19
1. "Ghost Town" - The Specials
Why is it ranked so high? Because it fucking kicks ass. Forget that it's ska and just listen to the song. And a trombone solo? Damn.
2. "Jumpin' Jack Flash" - The Rolling Stones
I remember hearing that this is one of Mick's least favorite songs to play, simply because he's sung it so damn many times. I can believe it; it's a great song, but a little bit goes a long way.
3. "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" - Eurythmics
I think I mentioned in Round 1 that it's not my favorite by Lennox-and-Stewart (that goes to "Here Comes the Rain Again"), even though it's their most well-known. True, this is a brilliant single and a hell of a debut. But like #2, a little bit goes a long way.
4. "Many Rivers to Cross" - Jimmy Cliff
Brutal to put this one in the #4 slot, as it's a truly gorgeous bit of gospel-tinged reggae. But of the four here, it's the one I'm likely to listen to the least.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 20
1. "A Day in the Life" - The Beatles
A couple of days ago, a friend of mine asked me what my favorite Beatles track was. I thought about it for a long time, and I couldn't think of anything that would top this one. It's everything Beatles-esque wrapped up into one song: Lennon's cynicism, McCartney's poppy-but-ultimately-lightweight lyricism, George Martin's studio wizardry, and theatricality out the wazoo. Perfect.
2. "Clint Eastwood" - Gorillaz
Big drop-off from #1 to #2 here. I still remember that feeling of "What the hell is this?" the first time I saw the video, which brings me to something: I could perhaps be the only person who thinks that Gorillaz works better as a visual band than an audio band. By that I mean that they are much more effective in music videos (where they are truly groundbreaking) than just on CD or .mp3. And considering that 1/2 of the band's permanent lineup is a cartoonist, I think that lends a little bit of credence to my assertion.
3. "Shout, Pts. 1-2" - The Isley Brothers
It's a lot of fun, and it's synonymous (to me, at least) with "Animal House." And every football game I've ever been to at Martin Stadium. You can put it on at just about any party, and people will start dancing. But it's not a song that I would ever go out of my way to hear, and in fact, whenever it comes on, I usually hit "fast-forward" before the words "You know you make me wanna" come in.
4. "I Feel Love" - Donna Summer
I wasn't a fan in Round 1, and I'm not a fan now.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 17
1. "That's When I Reach for My Revolver" - Mission of Burma
I'm shocked to see the general malaise shown toward this song in this round. This is, for my money, one of the best post-punk songs of all time. Hell, let's not qualify that: it's one of the best songs of all time. As I said back in Round 1, I'm yelling along with the chorus every time I listen to it, but the lyrical content is super-strong too.
2. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nirvana
Iconic, genre-defining, and an anthem to a generation, but like a couple of other songs this week, I've heard it enough for now. Still, if it gets into the next round, I won't be complaining.
3. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - The Beatles
It's one of the highest-rated Beatles songs around here, but I'm not entirely sure why. I can think of at least ten or fifteen other songs by the Fab Four that I would put above this one.
4. "Creep" - Radiohead
And now we have Radiohead. In my opinion, the acclaim that this band gets here (not from music critics, but by posters on this forum) borders on the obscene. I firmly believe that if Radiohead were to come out with an album like Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music," there would be a lot of people around here falling all over themselves trying to praise it. I kind of got an inkling of just how gaga this board was about Radiohead when "Pyramid Song" waltzed into the second round, but when I found that EVERY Radiohead song made it into Round 2, that just confirmed it for me.
Back in Round 1, I figured that the Radiohead fans on this board would shun "Creep" because it's so unlike everything else they've done. I spoke about how we shouldn't ignore this because it's still a great song, regardless of the band's later glories. Now, I say fuck it. It's time for Radiohead to lose one. And what better place than right here.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 18
1. "Common People" - Pulp
A perfect song. 'Nuff said.
2. "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell
Yes, it's country. Yes, it's kinda sappy. But if this had the name "Beach Boys" attached to it instead of Glen Campbell, I think people here would be much more forgiving of this song. I'm sure someone mentioned back in Round 1 how powerful the lyric "And I need you more than want you/And I want you for all time" is. Ooh, I get chills. Oh and to reiterate something I mentioned back in Round 1, the movie "Tarnation" is worth checking out.
(Edit: I guess sonofsamiam beat me to the punch on the Beach Boys comparison...)
3. "A Hard Day's Night" - The Beatles
An excellent song by the kids from Liverpool, but it's not in the same league as the first two songs here. Time for the Beatles to have another song go down.
4. "Just What I Needed" - The Cars
Maybe it's because it beat a (to my way of thinking) more-deserving song by my favorite, Elton John. Maybe it's because it just isn't in the same field as the other three. Either way, this is an easy 4 for me.

Thanks for asking that Listyguy, I've been wondering what SHTB4 meant for weeks.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 19

I think this is the Stones' best straight-ahead rocker. The hooks are extremely tight.

Synth-pop with an air of mystery and suspense. An unduplicatable song.

I might never truly 'get' this song, but it does offer some unique moments and gets points for originality.

Way better than I remember it from the first round.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 20

I ranked "Clint Eastwood" in my songs list and didn't rank this, but somehow it doesn't seem right to duplicate that ranking in this context. The orchestral buildup in this song--which I once was blown away by--now sort of ruins the atmosphere, but Lennon's contributions make it excellent.

I've like this song since I was about ten years old, well before I heard even heard of any of the others on this list. It still flat-out rocks

I've witnessed first-hand how this song can still get a group of college-age kids dancing. I don't think there is any other 50s song you can say that about.

I feel this song is more to be appreciated than liked.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 17

This song is so massive it virtually imposes its greatness on the listener. This will stay in the competition at least two more rounds.

I had never heard this song before, and could only find a live version on Youtube. Even hearing it this way reminded me why I need to check out this band. This song is far more interesting than the overrated last two.

While this song has a cool atmosphere, the lyric is nothing special and it never builds up to anything like I feel it should have.

I really, really dislike this song. I have no idea why any serious or even casual Radiohead fan would put this among the band's best. Unfortunately, "Creep" might go down as the signature song for one of the best bands of the modern era, and that's bordering on travesty.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 18

It's fallen in my song rankings but still commands a top-100 spot. More epic narrative than Britpop song, this song excels at mixing humor with true meaning.

I've liked this song for years now. I love the last thirty seconds especially.

I like this song, but I still haven't 'unlocked' the reason why people like Sonofsam consider it one of the greatest ever.

The opening chord is amazing, the rest is average.

Voting for this week is now over.

P.S. I realize that I haven't totaled the votes for Week 5; I spent a good portion of this past week in Las Vegas and I haven't had much of a chance to use a computer. I'll have Weeks 5 and 6 totaled in the morning.

Matt Schroeder

4. "Creep" - Radiohead
And now we have Radiohead. In my opinion, the acclaim that this band gets here (not from music critics, but by posters on this forum) borders on the obscene. I firmly believe that if Radiohead were to come out with an album like Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music," there would be a lot of people around here falling all over themselves trying to praise it. I kind of got an inkling of just how gaga this board was about Radiohead when "Pyramid Song" waltzed into the second round, but when I found that EVERY Radiohead song made it into Round 2, that just confirmed it for me.
Back in Round 1, I figured that the Radiohead fans on this board would shun "Creep" because it's so unlike everything else they've done. I spoke about how we shouldn't ignore this because it's still a great song, regardless of the band's later glories. Now, I say fuck it. It's time for Radiohead to lose one. And what better place than right here.

I agree with what you said. Radiohead, along with VU and Outkast are overliked around here.
I hope Pyramid song and Creep do lose in this round, because there are other songs in thier respected divisions that sould make it instead.

Good to see that I'm not the only one who's not a Radiohead fan around here. The Velvet Underground is not overliked though, it's simply one of the best bands ever.

The Chopin block is interesting because it doesn't only feature the most overrated band in history but also the second and third most. Mission Of Burma better win that one!

Four blowouts this week. The winners this week won by nine, fifteen, sixteen, and twenty points.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 19
1. "Jumpin' Jack Flash" - The Rolling Stones (47 points, 8 first-place votes)
2. "Ghost Town" - The Specials (32, 3)
3. "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" - Eurythmics (31, 1)
4. "Many Rivers to Cross" - Jimmy Cliff (30, 2)

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 20
1. "A Day in the Life" - The Beatles (53, 12)
2. "Clint Eastwood" - Gorillaz (33, 0)
3. "Shout, Pts. 1-2" - The Isley Brothers (32, 1)
4. "I Feel Love" - Donna Summer (22, 1)

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 17
1. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nirvana (45, 8)
2. "Creep" - Radiohead (36, 4)
3. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - The Beatles (32, 1)
4. "That's When I Reach for My Revolver" - Mission of Burma (27, 1)

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 18
1. "Common People" - Pulp (48, 10)
2. "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell (32, 2)
3. "A Hard Day's Night" - The Beatles (31, 1)
4. "Just What I Needed" - The Cars (29, 1)

Could't vote this week unfortunately - wouldn't have made much difference anyway. The first 3 brackets,I would have had the winning songs at #1,and for Liszt one I would have had Glen Campbell by a nose but it would have lost anyway...

Stephan
Good to see that I'm not the only one who's not a Radiohead fan around here. The Velvet Underground is not overliked though, it's simply one of the best bands ever.

There is no doubt Vu are great, but other amaxing artists, such as Elvis, get overlooked here.

This is random, but, in round 3, two of the most loved songs here on AM will be going head-to-head:
A Day in the Life and Hey Ya.

I know which one I'm voting for.