Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fake Plastic Trees

According to Itunes, among other sources, Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead is explicit. Now, I have looked at the lyrics many times and listen to the song but cannot find any bad language. I am missing something?

Re: Fake Plastic Trees

Don't even try to figure out why the Uppity Brigade labels something 'naughty'.

They've always got some random social agenda based on a fad based on whatever happened in the news in the last few days. The standards are never consistent and rarely make sense.

The only possible reason I can think of is that the line "She tastes like the real thing" could be seen as a reference to oral sex. But, wow, to label it explicit seems like a real reach.

Isn't High and Dry more explicit? He means "dry" as in unsatisfied right, like the PJ Harvey song? I don't think Radiohead have cursed since their debut. I might have heard a curse word in their classic Let Down.
I have Robyn's self titled cd from 05 and it has a Parental Advisory sticker on it but they still edited Handle Me dispite all the other songs having the naughty words in them. I don't get that.

(Creep uses every word in the book)
If that's why the song is labeled explicit, then that's pathetic.

and i still think that "Anyone Can Play Guitar" had started it all...

I'm pretty sure that itunes labels albums as "explicit", even if most of the songs on that album don't swear. Maybe there's an explicit song on The Bends or The Best of Radiohead that makes the whole album warrent an explicit rating. But the only songs I can think of that swear by Radiohead are "Creep" and "Talk Show Host".