Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Favorite Irish Bands?

Note: the intended topic is NOT favorite bands from Ireland (sorry U2). I've always liked traditional Irish folk music, and I like bands/artists that incorporate that sound. I would like to find out people's favorite bands that incorporate some elements of traditional Irish folk music (sorry for the vague definition...is there a genre for this?). If I get enough lists, I'll even post some statistics at the end.

Re: Favorite Irish Bands?

not well-versed on the genre, but the Pogues do it for me. (And Declan MacManus, but I don't suppose he's eligible!)

Not really a band, but I love Cara Dillon; kind of unknown to most people I suppose, but one of my favorite artists of the decade.

Stephan
Not really a band, but I love Cara Dillon; kind of unknown to most people I suppose, but one of my favorite artists of the decade.

Just sampled some of her songs from ilike.com. Very pretty voice! I like what I heard. She kind of sounds like an Irish Dolly Parton...in a good way! :)

Check out Horslips. They're a progressive celtic rock band from the 1970s. I recommend their 1976 album "The Book of Invasions - A Celtic Symphony".

Pugwash
The Divine Comedy
The Duckworth Lewis Method

I first note that the general AM site provides the following list of Irish artists:

1 U2
2 My Bloody Valentine
3 Sinéad O'Connor
4 Thin Lizzy
5 Damien Rice
6 Therapy?
7 Planxty
8 Rory Gallagher
9 Virgin Prunes
10 Kate Nash
11 Enya
12 The Cranberries
13 Chauncy Olcott
14 Gilbert O'Sullivan
15 The Chieftains
16 Richard Harris
17 The Boomtown Rats
18 The Thrills
19 Andy Irvine & Paul Brady

Artists bubbling under:
Altan
Christy Moore
Hothouse Flowers
Mellow Candle
Patrick Wolf
Roisin Murphy
The Bothy Band
Whipping Boy

Now, my favorites:

1 U2
2 Sinéad O'Connor
3 The Cranberries
4 Thin Lizzy
5 Gilbert O'Sullivan

Henry

2 My Bloody Valentine

Gotta love that traditional Irish folk vibe on Loveless...

"The Men They Couldn't Hang" have some Irish/Scottish stuff (sorry if putting those two together shows me up as a musical ignoramus) going on in their music. I liked them very much when they were around.