Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #20

BRACKET #20

#1 (37) CHUCK BERRY vs. #16 (988) DAVE EDMUNDS

Rock ‘N Roll legend… “Maybelline”, “Johnny B. Goode”, “Roll Over Beethoven” and “Sweet Little Sixteen”

Rocker from the 70’s & 80’s… “I Hear You Knocking”, “Slipping Away”, “Girls Talk” and “Queen Of Hearts”.

#8 (476) JOAN JETT & THE BLACKHEARTS vs. #9 (549) BOOKER T. & THE MG’S

In the early 80’s Joan Jett & The Blackhearts rocked with “I Love Rock ‘N Roll”, “Bad Reputation”, “Crimson And Clover” and “I Hate Myself For Loving You”

Instrumental R&B, best known for their 1962 hit “Green Onions”. Others include “Hang ‘Em High”, “Time Is Tight” and “Hip Hug-Her”.

#5 (293) DIXIE CHICKS vs. #12 (732) SOFT CELL

Country Rock… Alt-Country… Country crossover… “Not Ready To Make Nice”, “Wide Open Spaces”, “Cowboy Take Me Away” and “Long Time Gone”.

SynthPop/New wave artist best known for 1981’s “Tainted Love”. Others include “Say Hello Wave Goodbye”, “Bedsitter” and “What!”.

#4 (220) TRAVIS vs. #13 (805) FILTER

After the height of Britpop came the next wave led by Travis… “Why Does It Always Rain On Me?”, “Sing”, “Closer” and “Driftwood”.

Industrial rockers Filter had some crossover success in the 90’s with “Hey Man Nice Shot”, “Take A Picture”, “Where Do We Go From Here?” and “Welcome To The Fold”.

#3 (165) GEORGE MICHAEL vs. #14 (860) MICHELLE BRANCH

Successful post Wham! Solo career… “Faith”, “I Want Your Sex”, “Freedom ‘90” and “Too Funky”.

Grammy nominated singer/songwriter… “Everywhere”, “All You Wanted”, “Are You Happy Now?” and “Goodbye To You”.

#6 (348) THOMPSON TWINS vs. #11 (677) DAMN YANKEES

Second British Invasion New wavers… “Hold Me Now”, “Doctor! Doctor!”, “King For A Day” and “Lay Your Hands On Me”.

The Hard Rock Supergroup of the early 90’s… “High Enough”, “Coming Of Age”, “Where You Goin’ Now” and “Come Again”.

#7 (421) DOLLY PARTON vs. #10 (604) DAYS OF THE NEW

Country star with a little pop appeal… “Jolene”, “9 To 5”, “Here You Come Again” and “Islands In The Stream”

Post-Grunge rockers… “Touch, Peel And Stand”, “Shelf In The Room”, “Enemy” and “The Downtown”.

#2 (92) GUNS ‘N ROSES vs. #15 (933) NITTY GRITTY DIRT BAND

One of the biggest rock bands in the late 80’s/early 90’s… “Welcome To The Jungle”, “Sweet Child O’ Mine”, “November Rain” and “Paradise City”

Country-folk-rock band… “Mr. Bojangles”, “Fishing In The Dark” and “An American Dream”.

Re: ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #20

#1 Chuck Berry
#9 Booker T. & the MGs
#12 Soft Cell
#13 Filter
#3 George Michael
#6 Thompson Twins
#7 Dolly Parton
#2 Guns N' Roses

Chuck Berry... easy winner

Joan Jett by a nose...

One of the few country acts I kiinda like... but new wave and Soft Cell dominate all country after 1990...

Travis...

Thompson Twins...

Dolly Parton...Days of the New doesn't have a "Jolene"

GNR in a landslide...

#1 (37) CHUCK BERRY
#9 (549) BOOKER T. & THE MG’S
#12 (732) SOFT CELL
#4 (220) TRAVIS
#3 (165) GEORGE MICHAEL
#6 (348) THOMPSON TWINS
#7 (421) DOLLY PARTON
#2 (92) GUNS ‘N ROSES

1. Chuck Berry
8. Joan Jett!!!!
12. Soft Cell
3. George Michael
6. Thompson Twins
2. Guns 'n Roses

Chuck Berry
Booker T & the MGs
Soft Cell
GnR

#1 Chuck Berry
#8 Joan Jett - would have expected a higher seed for them...thought they were pretty successful in early 80s...
#5 Dixie Chicks - I thought their political stunt was kind of lame, but no question they are the better artist. "Tainted Love" was a good song, though. There's just nothing else in their catalog that impresses me...
#3 George Michael - I think this is the first time two artists I like are going head to head. I really like Michelle Branch, but no question George has the better body of work. And to think, in the late 80s he drove women crazy...
#6 Thompson Twins - I liked them too...surprised to see them as high as #6 though.
#7 Dolly Parton - Dolly's got a sweet, sassy honesty to her that elevates her way above her country contemporaries
#2 Guns 'N Roses - Where might they have been in the pantheon of rock bands had Axl not flamed out?

Just realized, no upsets for me this time. Go 80s!

BRACKET #20
#1 (37) CHUCK BERRY
#5 (293) DIXIE CHICKS
#4 (220) TRAVIS
#3 (165) GEORGE MICHAEL
#6 (348) THOMPSON TWINS
#7 (421) DOLLY PARTON
#2 (92) GUNS ‘N ROSES

#1 (37) CHUCK BERRY
#12 (732) SOFT CELL
#4 (220) TRAVIS
#14 (860) MICHELLE BRANCH
#7 (421) DOLLY PARTON
#2 (92) GUNS ‘N ROSES

1. Chuck Berry
9. Booker T. & the MG’s
5. Dixie Chicks
4. Travis
3. George Michael
6. Thompson Twins
7. Dolly Parton
2. Guns N’ Roses

The only one I had to mull over for more than about 5 seconds was Dixie Chicks/Soft Cell. If I made a top ten list of songs by today’s artists, “Tainted Love” would be about #2 (at any rate, it would be the highest-ranked song not by Mr. Chuck Berry).

MOST UNDERRATED
Soft Cell (UMT 732, AM 334); Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (UMT 933, AM 663).

MOST OVERRATED
Thompson Twins (UMT 348, AM 1859); Dixie Chicks (UMT 293, AM 1552), Travis (UMT 220, AM 588).

NOT AM RANKED
Days of the New, Damn Yankees, Filter, Michelle Branch.

NOW THAT’S WHAT I CALL CLOSE
Guns N’ Roses (UMT 92, AM 88).

#1 CHUCK BERRY

The definition of rock n' roll.

#9 BOOKER T. & THE MG’S

If we were to consider the MG's monumental studio session work, this would be no question. I am not a huge fan of the little instrumental stuff I've heard of theirs. I find Jett's hits to be inconsistent; strange for an artist whose work is all pretty much similar. I hate "I Love Rock 'n Roll" and "Crimson and Clover" I love "Bad Reputation." But the sound of the MG's is too fine to brush aside.

#5 DIXIE CHICKS

Don't know Soft Cell aside from their huge, catchy, and good-if-you-don't-think-about-it-too-hard cover of Gloria Jones' fine original. But I like what the Chicks have done. Their music is not my favorite type of country, and I find Maines' voice grating sometimes. But I respect the integrity they brought to their music and their career.

#4 TRAVIS

Not a big fan, but definitely better than Filter.

#3 GEORGE MICHAEL

Some undeniably fine hits, particularly Freedom '90.

#6 THOMPSON TWINS

I absolutely loved “Hold Me Now” when I was a kid.... still do.

#7 DOLLY PARTON

Such a fine songwriter, and a voice that somehow combines full-throatedness, warmness, precision, and expressiveness.

#2 GUNS ‘N ROSES

I waver on how overrated they are, but never feel they are underrated.

#1 (37) CHUCK BERRY
#12 (732) SOFT CELL
#13 (805) FILTER
#3 (165) GEORGE MICHAEL
#6 (348) THOMPSON TWINS
#7 (421) DOLLY PARTON
#2 (92) GUNS ‘N ROSES

#1 (37) CHUCK BERRY

#8 (476) JOAN JETT & THE BLACKHEARTS

#13 (805) FILTER

Never liked Travis, but Filter've got a couple of very underrated songs.

#3 (165) GEORGE MICHAEL

Love that...one song!

#7 (421) DOLLY PARTON

I really liked Days of the New for a year or two in high school. They've got a couple really good songs. But, I really liked the Dolly Parton I heard in my bracketology listening.

#2 (92) GUNS ‘N ROSES

Bracket #20 winners...

Chuck Berry 95.8% / Dave Edmunds 4.2%
*** TIE Joan Jett & The Blackhearts & Booker T. The MG's 50% each ***
Soft Cell 52.2% / Dixie Chicks 47.8%
Travis 56.5% / Filter 43.5%
George Michael 82.6% / Michelle Branch 17.4%
Thompson Twins 85.7% / Damn Yankees 14.3%
Dolly Parton 72.7% / Days Of The New 27.3%
Guns 'N Roses 100%