Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #16

BRACKET #16

#1 (41) CHICAGO vs. #16 (984) ARGENT

Chicago had a steady stream of hits throughout the 70’s and 80’s including “25 Or 6 To 4”, “If You Leave Me Now”, “Hard To Say I’m Sorry” and “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?”

Argent, the English rock best known for their 1972 hit “Hold Your Head Up”. They also charted with “Tragedy” and “God Gave Rock ‘N Roll To You”

#8 (472) THE STRAY CATS vs. #9 (553) ELASTICA

Rockabilly revivalists the Stray Cats charted well in the early 80’s with “Rock This Town”, “Runaway Boys”, “She’s Sexy + 17” and “Stray Cat Strut”.

English alt/rockers only released one monster album with their original line up, but it netted this band both commercial and critical success in the mid 90’s with songs like “Connection”, “Stutter”, “Waking Up” and “Line Up”.

#5 (297) THE SPINNERS vs. #12 (728) THE WALKMEN

R&B/Soul act The Spinners had a number of hits throughout the 60’s, 70’s and into the 80’s including “It’s A Shame”, “Could It Be I’m Falling In Love”, “The Rubberband Man” and “I’ll Be Around”.

Indie rockers The Walkmen are best known for their 2004 hit “The Rat”. Others include “Louisiana” and “In The New Year”.

#4 (216) DEEP PURPLE vs. #13 (809) SAINT ETIENNE

Hard rockers and metal pioneers Deep Purple had a number of big rock classics in the early 70’s including “Smoke On The Water”, “Highway Star”, “Woman From Tokyo” and “Black Night”.

English Indie-dance band Saint Etienne have charted well on the UK singles charts and on the US Dance charts with songs like “Only Love Can Break Your Heart”, ‘Nothing Can Stop Us”, “Your In A Bad Way” and “Heart failed (In The Back Of A Taxi)”.

#3 (169) LIONEL RICHIE vs. #14 (856) BILLY BRAGG

After leaving The Commodores and going solo, Lionel had 13 top 10 songs in the US including “Truly”, “All Night Long (All Night)”, “Dancing On The Ceiling” and “Say You Say Me”.

English singer/songwriter Billy Bragg has charted well in his homeland and had a number of critically acclaimed hits including “Levi Stubb’s Tears”, “Sexuality”, “You Woke Up My Neighborhood” and “A New England”.

#6 (344) COOLIO vs. #11 (681) G. LOVE & SPECIAL SAUCE

Rapper Coolio charted well in the mid 90’s with “Fantastic Voyage”, “Gangsta’s Paradise”, “Too Hot” and “1,2,3,4 (Sumpin’ New)”.

Laid-back Alternative Hip-Hop… “Cold Beverage”, “Hot Cookin’”, “Rodeo Clowns” and “Stepping Stone”.

#7 (425) SHINEDOWN vs. #10 (600) BERLIN

One of the biggest hard rock bands of the past 10 years, Shinedown has “Fly From The Inside”, “I Dare You”, “Second Chance” and their remake of “Simple Man” as part of their repertoire.

Synth-poppers Berlin charted well in the 80’s with “No More Words”, “The Metro”, “Take My Breath Away” and “Sex (I’m A)”.

#2 (88) WHITNEY HOUSTON vs. #15 (937) MATERIAL ISSUE

Whitney has 11 #1 hits to her credit including “How Will I Know”, “I Wanna Dance With Somebody”, “I’m Your Baby Tonight” and “I Will Always Love You”.

Power pop band Material Issue, best known for having songs with girls names including “Valarie Loves Me”, “Diane”, “Kim The Waitress” and breaking the trend… “What Girls Want”.

Re: ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #16

Chicago - Beacuse of their early stuff.

The Stray Cats - Tough choice, I'm a big fan of Elastica, but The Stray Cats have a nice little catalog.

The Spinners - Again, I like The Walkmen, alot... but the strength of songs like "It's A Shame" puts The Spinners over the top.

Deep Purple - Another matchup that seems tougher than it should.

Lionel Richie - I like Billy Bragg, but Lionel has some decent stuff and alot of it.

Coolio - Off the strength of "Gangsta's Paradise".

Shinedown - I should be banned from voting for this, can one call this a "guilty pleasure" even? I don't know, but I kinda like these guys... is that as wrong as it sounds???

Material Issue - International Pop Overthrow!!!

BRACKET #16
#1 (41) CHICAGO
#9 (553) ELASTICA
#5 (297) THE SPINNERS
#4 (216) DEEP PURPLE
#14 (856) BILLY BRAGG
#6 (344) COOLIO
#10 (600) BERLIN
#15 (937) MATERIAL ISSUE

I find a lot of Chicago's music intensely irritating, but Argent really only had the one song while Chicago's been going for 40+ years. And the debut really is quite good.

1. Chicago
9. Elastica
5. The Spinners (it’s close, though)
4. Deep Purple
14. Billy Bragg
6. Coolio
10. Berlin
15. Material Issue

MOST UNDERRATED
Billy Bragg (UMT 856, AM 294).

MOST OVERRATED
Gawd, where to start? Shinedown (UMT 425, AM n/a); Stray Cats (UMT 472, AM 2001); Berlin (UMT 600, AM n/a).

And just look at the top 3 seeds: Chicago (UMT 41, AM 996); Whitney Houston (UMT 88, AM 629); Lionel Richie (UMT 169, AM 1113).

I smell a Deep Purple upset.

SORT OF CLOSE
Elastica (UMT 553, AM 509).

#1 Chicago - ridiculously prolific band
#9 Elastica - Hate the Stray Cats. Hate them.
#5 The Spinners - for "The Rubberband Mand"
#4 Deep Purple
#3 Lionel Richie
#11 G. Love and Special Sauce - ok, really just for the name. Love that name!
#10 Berlin - "Take My Breath Away"
#2 Whitney Houston - here's hoping for an eventual Whitney / Mariah smackdown!

Question for Slick: do we credit both Lionel Richie and Diana Ross for "Endless Love"? Or neither? Inconsequential here, but might matter in a closer matchup.

BRACKET #16
#9 (553) ELASTICA

#5 (297) THE SPINNERS

#13 (809) SAINT ETIENNE
One of my best finds of the moderate poll.

#14 (856) BILLY BRAGG

#11 (681) G. LOVE & SPECIAL SAUCE
Coolio is Snoop Dogg-lite. Everything good he ever did was ripped from somebody else. (Gangsta's Paradise was ripped from Stevie Wonder.)

#15 (937) MATERIAL ISSUE
I--HA-HA-YA-YA-YAI. VO-HO-HOOO-HOTE! MA-HAHAHA-HA-TIRI-YAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL! I-HI-HI-HI- HEEEE! ....ssue....

Slick
Shinedown - I should be banned from voting for this, can one call this a "guilty pleasure" even? I don't know, but I kinda like these guys... is that as wrong as it sounds???

yes, yes it is as wrong as it sounds.

Nick
Slick

yes, yes it is as wrong as it sounds.

I kinda thought so!!!

Deep Purple

Only artist I remotely care about from this group.

The Walkmen
Deep Purple

#1 (41) CHICAGO
#9 (553) ELASTICA
#5 (297) THE SPINNERS
#4 (216) DEEP PURPLE
#14 (856) BILLY BRAGG
#6 (344) COOLIO
#10 (600) BERLIN
#2 (88) WHITNEY HOUSTON

#1. Chicago
#9. Elastica
#12.the Walkmen
#13.St. Etienne
#14.Billy Bragg (one of the few male songwriter whose music I actually enjoy)
#11. G. LOVE & SPECIAL SAUCE
#10. Berlin
#2. Whitney Housten

Best list so far. Great bands and artists :-)

#1 Chicago
#8 The Stray Cats
#5 The Spinners
#4 Deep Purple
#3 Lionel Richie
#6 Coolio
#10 Berlin
#15 Material Issue

#1 (41) CHICAGO
#8 (472) THE STRAY CATS
#12 (728) THE WALKMEN“
#4 (216) DEEP PURPLE
#14 (856) BILLY BRAGG
#11 (681) G. LOVE & SPECIAL SAUCE
#10 (600) BERLIN
#2 (88) WHITNEY HOUSTON

Bracket #16 Winners...

Chicago 94.1% / Argent 5.6%
Elastica 52.6% / The Stray Cats 47.4%
The Spinners 70.0% / The Walkmen 30.0%
Deep Purple 81.0% / Saint Etienne 19.0%
Lionel Richie 57.9% / Billy Bragg 42.1%
Coolio 57.9% / g. love & special sauce 42.1%
Berlin 66.7% / Shinedown 33.3%
Whitney Houston 57.9% / Material Issue 42.1%

Whoops... I was writing this when the results got posted. Might as well throw it up anyway.

#1 CHICAGO

Not a fan of either. I guess I prefer the Chicago horns to the Argent organ.

#9 ELASTICA

I enjoy their debut.

#5 THE SPINNERS

Wow, I didn't realize how many hits they had. While their sound is not as sweet as a number of other 70's soul groups, they had a good lead singer and some very cachy tunes.

#13 SAINT ETIENNE

I really like Good Humor.

#14 BILLY BRAGG

I actually have a little affection for Richie. I like his ultra smooth voice and while the material is schmaltzy, it is a perfect marriage of voice and material. And I actually don't know Bragg's work all that well. But what I do know clearly outpaces Lionel.

#11 G. LOVE & SPECIAL SAUCE

I went through a period back i nthe day where I was into them. It fit my semi-blunted lifestyle at the time.

#10 (600) BERLIN

While I dislike the Top Gun song, I really liked "The Metro" at the time.

#2 (88) WHITNEY HOUSTON vs. #15 (937) MATERIAL ISSUE - NO VOTE

I actually never knew Material Issue before this, besides their backing Liz Phair on a poor cover of the Banana Splits song. They seem interesting, and I kinda liked the few clips I fired up last night. However, I still have some love for Houston. Some of her material is dreadful, but she marries personality and some good technique to her BIG voice. In deference to my lack of Knowledge of MI, I'll sit this one out.

Schwah... thanks for posting. I enjoy the comments. As far as the results the big vote was for Elastica. They are cemented into the next round. You would have gotten both Billy Bragg and G. Love just a little closer.