Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #11

BRACKET #11

#1 (25) THE WHO vs. #16 (1000) NED’S ATOMIC DUSTBIN

The Who’s place in Rock ‘n Roll is Legendary Status… from the first time they introduced “My Generation” in 1965, to their 1971 epic release ‘Who’s Next’ and “Baba O’Riley” and “Won’t Get Fooled Again”, up through the late 70’s and “Who Are You”.

When I finally made the switch from cassette to CD’s in 1991, the first CD I ever bought was Ned’s ‘God Fodder’. Songs Like “Grey Cell Green”, “Kill Your Television”, “Not Sleeping Around” and “Happy” make up the catalog from this indie punk/power pop/shoegaze/grebo band of the early 90’s.

#8 (488) FUGEES vs. #9 (537) MEAT LOAF

The Fugees, made up of Lauryn Hill, Pras & Wyclef had a unique blend of hip-hop, soul and reggae on their 1996 album ‘The Score’ which fueled the hits “Killing Me Softly”, “No Woman, No Cry”, “Fu-Gee-La” and “Ready Or Not”. Shortly after they all went their own way and forged successful solo careers.

Meat gave us “Bat Out Of Hell”, “Paradise By The Dashboard Light”, “I’d Do Anything For Love (But I Won’t Do That)” and “I’d Lie For You (And That’s The Truth)”.

#5 (281) PATSY CLINE vs. #12 (744) SHEENA EASTON

Legendary Country singer Patsy Cline left “Crazy”, “Walkin’ After Midnight”, “I Fall To Pieces” and “She’s Got You” as part of her legacy.

Sheena had a bunch of big pop hits in the early 80’s including “Morning Train (9 To 5)”, “For Your Eyes Only”, “Sugar Walls” and “Strut”.

#4 (232) SUEDE vs. #13 (793) AMBROSIA

Suede, or The London Suede (as known as in the U.S.), are at the forefront of the 90’s Britpop scene with songs like “The Drowners”, “Metal Mickey”, “Trash” and “Electricity”.

Ambrosia, a soft rock/pop band in the 70’s and early 80’s. Songs include “How Much I Feel”, “Biggest Part Of Me”, “You’re The Only Woman (You & I)” and “Holdin’ On To Yesterday”.

#3 JEFFERSON STARSHIP (AIRPLANE) vs. #14 PASSION PIT

This is combining all three elements of the band, Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship and Starship. “White Rabbit”, “Somebody To Love”, “Miracles” and “We Built This City”.

Passion Pit is the American Electronic Act that had a big 2009 with the songs “Little Secrets”, “Sleepyhead” and “The Reeling”.

#6 (360) PULP vs. #11 (665) LEANN RIMES

Pulp was one of the biggest Britpop acts of the 90’s, but went almost unnoticed in the States. Songs like “Common People”, “Do You remember The First Time”, “Sorted For E’s & Wizz” and “This Is Hardcore” make them one of the most critically acclaimed bands of the decade.

LeAnn Rimes, country/pop singer… “Blue”, “How Do I Live” and “Can’t Fight The Moonlight”.

#7 (409) THE ALAN PARSONS PROJECT vs. #10 (616) THE CHARLIE DANIELS BAND

British Prog-Rockers APP gave us “I Wouldn’t Want To Be Like You”, “Games People Play”, “Time” and “Eye In The Sky”.

Charlie Daniels Band, Southern Rockers… “The Devil Went Down To Georgia”, “Uneasy Rider”, “The South’s Gonna Do It” and “In America”.

#2 (104) THE POLICE vs. #15 (921) THE SOUP DRAGONS

Hard Rock and New wave Trio The Police blended elements of jazz, funk, raggae and hard rock together to form the signature sound on songs like “Every Breath You Take”, “Roxanne”, “Don’t Stand So Close To Me” and “Message In A Bottle”.

The Soup Dragons achieved success in 1990 with a cover of “I’m Free”. Others include “Pleasure” and “Divine Thing”.

Re: ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #11

#1 (25) THE WHO
#9 (537) MEAT LOAF
#5 (281) PATSY CLINE
#4 (232) SUEDE
#3 JEFFERSON STARSHIP (AIRPLANE)
#6 (360) PULP
#7 (409) THE ALAN PARSONS PROJECT
#2 (104) THE POLICE

There is such a HUGE difference between the Jefferson Airplane and Starship.

Nice job with this, (Grace?) Slick. I look forward to these matchups each day.

BRACKET #11
#1 (25) THE WHO
#9 (537) MEAT LOAF
#5 (281) PATSY CLINE
#4 (232) SUEDE
#6 (360) PULP
#2 (104) THE POLICE

I'd rather listen to BAT OUT OF HELL than THE SCORE. Sue me.

#1 The Who
#9 Meatloaf
#5 Patsy Cline
#4 Suede
#3 Jefferson Airplane
#6 Pulp
#7 The Alan Parsons Project
#2 The Police

#8 (488) FUGEES
#5 (281) PATSY CLINE
#3 JEFFERSON STARSHIP (AIRPLANE) (they would surely live longer in the game if Starship was dropped)

Important vote of the day: Fugees (the joke isn't funny anymore)

I don't particularly like any of the artists today, even the big ones.

Who
Fugees
Suede
Jefferson Airplane
Pulp
Police

#1 The Who - NAD can stay in the dustbin, AFAIC
#9 Meat Loaf - cheesy but fun, no one does bombastic quite like Meat Loaf. And he's a huge baseball fan! The Fugees were so totally overexposed that I don't need to hear any of their songs ever again.
#12 Sheena Easton
#11 Leann Rimes
#7 The Alan Parsons Project - Slick, you omitted my favorite APP song, "Don't Answer Me", also one of their biggest hits in the US, and one of the first animated videos in heavy MTV rotation.
#2 The Police - No "Soup Dragons" for you!!

Harold Wexler
BRACKET #11

I'd rather listen to BAT OUT OF HELL than THE SCORE. Sue me.

I second that.

Brad
#1 (25) THE WHO

Nice job with this, (Grace?) Slick. I look forward to these matchups each day.

I second that, second. Does that make it third? Anyway, nice job, Slick!

1. The Who
8. Fugees
5. Patsy Cline
4. Suede
3. Jefferson Airplane.
6. Pulp
10. The Charlie Daniels Band
2. The Police

MOST UNDERRATED
Pulp (UMT 360, AM 94); Fugees (UMT 488, AM 273).

MOST OVERRATED
Alan Parsons Project (UMT 409, AM n/a); Charlie Daniels Band (UMT 616, AM 1622); Leann Rimes (UMT 665, AM n/a).

VERY, VERY CLOSE
Patsy Cline (UMT 281, AM 286); Meat Loaf (UMT 537, AM 545).

#1 THE WHO

Heh. I was kinda into Ned's Atomic Dustbin for a brief period in the early 90's.

#8 FUGEES

I've got no love for Mr. Loaf.

#5 PATSY CLINE

I loved “Morning Train (9 To 5)” when I was a kid. I grew out of that.

#4 SUEDE

I've liked the limited amount I've heard from Suede, and recgonize that I need to hear more.

#14 PASSION PIT

I've heard one song from Passion Pit, and it is alone better than the collected work of Jefferson Airplane/Starship. I really don't like them. THey give psychedelia a bad name.

#6 PULP

No contest.

#7 THE ALAN PARSONS PROJECT

Another band I should get to know better.

#2 THE POLICE

Hey look... it's my first favorite band.

#1 (25) THE WHO
#9 (537) MEAT LOAF
#5 (281) PATSY CLINE
#4 (232) SUEDE
#6 (360) PULP
#2 (104) THE POLICE

#1 (25) THE WHO
#8 (488) FUGEES
Meat Loaf's melodramatic flair takes about five minutes to become annoying.
Okay, time out. How is Passion Pit the same seed as Nick Drake? I know Drake's not exactly known for his sales numbers, but over forty years, I think he would have sold more than Passion Pit did in a few months. And critical acclaim it's no contest.

#16 Ned's Atomic Dustbin (I know I may be the only person voting for them but they have some amazing songs. The only thing I didn't like was them insisting they were grunge when they more madchester sounding. It fact they sound more shoegaze than Swirvediver and Swerediver is more grunge than Ned)
#9 Meatloaf (he wrote It's All Coming Back to Me Now which is my ultimate guilty pleasure)
#5 Patsy Cline
#4 Suede (Great third album that would have been their most acclaimed had their guitarist not left before the album was released)
#3 the Jefferson AIRPLANE!!!!(although another guilty pleasure is Starship's Sarah)
#6 Pulp
#7 Alan Parson's Project
#2 the Police (I really wanted to like the Soup Dragons since they are Scottish)

Bracket #11 Winners...

The Who 85.7% / Neds Atomic Dustbin 14.2%
Fugees 63.7% / Meat Loaf 36.3%
Patsy Cline 90.0% / Sheena Easton 10.0%
Suede 78.9% / Ambrosia 21.1%
Jefferson (Airplane/Starship) 81.0% / Passion Pit 19.0
Pulp 85.0% / LeAnn Rimes 15.0%
The Alan Parsons Project 84.2% / The Charlie Daniels Band 15.8%
The Police 90.5% / The Soup Dragons 9.5%