Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bracketology, Round 2, Week 2

ROUND 2, WEEK 1

Just a reminder...

FOR A BALLOT TO BE COUNTED, YOU MUST COMMENT ON EVERY SONG.

Once again,

FOR A BALLOT TO BE COUNTED, YOU MUST COMMENT ON EVERY SONG.

Re: Bracketology, Round 2, Week 2

ROUND 2, WEEK 2

Here are this week's brackets. Remember, you can also view the brackets on this site. Voting is now open, and you have until 11:59 PM Pacific time on this upcoming Saturday to vote. Vote either in this thread or e-mail me.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 20
#150: "I'm Waiting for the Man" - The Velvet Underground
#278: "Under the Bridge" - Red Hot Chili Peppers
#406: "Heart of Gold" - Neil Young
#534: "Don't Dream It's Over" - Crowded House

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 20
#25: "Imagine" - John Lennon
#104: "Space Oddity" - David Bowie
#665: "(Love Is Like a) Heat Wave" - Martha & the Vandellas
#793: "Paper Planes" - M.I.A.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 20
#26: "Born to Run" - Bruce Springsteen
#231: "Young Folks" - Peter Bjorn and John
#359: "It Takes Two" - Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock
#410: "1979" - The Smashing Pumpkins

RACHMANINOFF BLOC, BRACKET 19
#41: "That'll Be the Day" - Buddy Holly
#344: "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" - The Temptations
#600: "A Town Called Malice" - The Jam
#809: "Alive" - Pearl Jam

#278: "Under the Bridge" - Red Hot Chili Peppers (Great guitar, great vocals, great song)
#406: "Heart of Gold" - Neil Young (I see shades of Bob Dylan in this song)
#150: "I'm Waiting for the Man" - The Velvet Underground (Best song from the Nico Album)
#534: "Don't Dream It's Over" - Crowded House (Didn't know the song before this, now I like it)

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 20
#104: "Space Oddity" - David Bowie (Best of Bowie, best of early Bowie)
#665: "(Love Is Like a) Heat Wave" - Martha & the Vandellas (Diana Ross has a good version too)
#793: "Paper Planes" - M.I.A. (Never did like rap)
#25: "Imagine" - John Lennon (The most overrated crap in the history of music)

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 20
#26: "Born to Run" - Bruce Springsteen (It's just that good)
#410: "1979" - The Smashing Pumpkins (The song's alright)
#231: "Young Folks" - Peter Bjorn and John (Never liked it, but it's got a nice video)
#359: "It Takes Two" - Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock (As I said before, I hate rap)

#41: "That'll Be the Day" - Buddy Holly (I love the song. Budd'y best song, and unfortunately, the dya he died came too soon)
#809: "Alive" - Pearl Jam (Key recording on the Ten album)
#344: "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" - The Temptations (Smooth intro)
#600: "A Town Called Malice" - The Jam (Great song, but couldn't compete in this strog dividion.)

Fantastic song - easily my favorite in this bracket. Young's songwriting skills are clearly demonstrated on this song. I still prefer the "After the Goldrush" album.
Very good song by RHCP. I wonder whether the Californication album gets its props among AMers.
I've never been a big Velvet Underground fan, but this song works for me.
Nice catchy tune, but can't measure up to the competition in this bloc.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 20
Fantastic lyrics and deserving of its high esteem. Perhaps those who did not live through the 1960's can't fully appreciate the wonders of this song. In fifty years, my guess is that folks will still be marveling at this song.
One of my favorite Bowie songs. I wonder how others compare this song with Elton John's Rocket Man.
Lots of fun and energy.
Nice song, but can't compete with the top two in this bloc in my view.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 20
Another song that music lovers are likely to be enjoying in 50 years. It is very difficult to see this song losing out in this bloc (or any other bloc in round 3).
Excellent song, but not likely better than a 2 rating in most blocs in this round.
I really enjoy this song, but it is not close to the first two in this bloc. If this song makes it to the next round, I would guess that it is because of preference for more recently released songs.
I am not a big fan of this song. It's pretty good, but not close to the other three in the bloc in my view.

The third song in the round that will likely still be enjoyed with reasonably regularity 50 years from now.
One of my favorites, but not sure how many more decades this song has.
Excellent song, but not as catchy as two top rated in this bloc.
The Style Council are one of my favorites. For some reason, I never fully appreciated the Jam. Good song, but even if I begin to appreciate the Jam more, I can't see this song move past either of the first two songs in this bloc.

Do I have to comment on every song individually or can I reference each song in a recap of how I voted?

I did the recap thing last week and Matt didn't complain, so I'm guessing it's ok as long as you talk about all the songs.

#1: "I'm Waiting for the Man" - The Velvet Underground
#2: "Heart of Gold" - Neil Young
#3: "Under the Bridge" - Red Hot Chili Peppers
#4: "Don't Dream It's Over" - Crowded House

I was listening to 1969: Velvet Underground Live yesterday and I was reminded of how much VU rocked--the version of "I'm Waiting For The Man" on that album is almost as spectacular as the album version. "Heart Of Gold" is only my third-favorite Neil Young song (after "My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)" (the non-electric one) and "Cortez The Killer") but it still beats the two other songs which are my favorites from those artists. "Don't Dream It's Over" isn't nearly as good as "Under The Bridge", however.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 20
#1: "Space Oddity" - David Bowie
#2: "Paper Planes" - M.I.A.
#3: "(Love Is Like a) Heat Wave" - Martha & the Vandellas
#4: "Imagine" - John Lennon

No real favorites of mine here, although I think "Space Oddity" and "Paper Planes" are great. Martha & The Vandellas are pleasant enough and John Lennon is grating as always.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 20
#1: "Born to Run" - Bruce Springsteen
#2: "1979" - The Smashing Pumpkins
#3: "It Takes Two" - Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock
#4: "Young Folks" - Peter Bjorn and John

The great 1979 is crushed by one of the greatest song ever, while the other two are not even on the same planet. I never understood why that whistling song got so much acclaim. It's cute, sure, but good? Not so much.

#1: "That'll Be the Day" - Buddy Holly
#2: "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" - The Temptations
#3: "A Town Called Malice" - The Jam
#4: "Alive" - Pearl Jam

My least favorite bracket of the day. Buddy Holly's "That'll Be The Day" is great, but it doesn't stack up to (what I think is) his true magnum opus: "Not Fade Away". The rest is just kind of okay, so I'll just stick to the AM ranking, with the Temptations and The Jam running a pretty close race and Pearl Jam finishing a few minutes later.

John
Do I have to comment on every song individually or can I reference each song in a recap of how I voted?

That's just fine.

1. "Don't Dream It's Over" - Crowded House

What a shockingly mediocre bracket! Crowded House's fine pop wins out in a group of songs that I think are all slightly overrated.

2. "Heart of Gold" - Neil Young

Still very good, but I prefer Neil in the ditch.

3. "Under the Bridge" - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Very similar to "Heart of Gold" when you consider Neil's comment about being in the middle of the road. Very good song, though RHCP will never be my thang.

4. "I'm Waiting for the Man" - The Velvet Underground

Easily my least favorite of all the highly acclaimed VU songs.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 20

Another surprisingly weak group, what the hell?!?

1. "Paper Planes" - M.I.A.

Great song, makes absolute sense as a signpost of the '00s.

2. "Space Oddity" - David Bowie

Not in the upper echelon of my favorite Bowie, but that's still good enough for 2.

3. "(Love Is Like a) Heat Wave" - Martha & the Vandellas

I prefer several other songs by them.

4. "Imagine" - John Lennon

I continue to despise this song, even to the point where the music itself annoys me. Gimme "Jealous Guy" or "Oh! Yoko" anyday.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 20

Finally, quality through and through!

1. "Born to Run" - Bruce Springsteen

An anthem to end 'em all, though the lyrics are kinda bleak when you really parse them.

2. "1979" - The Smashing Pumpkins

Weird how this song about nostalgia has BECOME nostalgia.

3. "It Takes Two" - Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock

This really won a bracket? That's fantastic! Dated? Yeah. Fun? Hell yeah!

4. "Young Folks" - Peter Bjorn and John

A very good song that just barely falls to 4.

More stuff that's just OK.

1. "That'll Be the Day" - Buddy Holly

Really, one of the finer '50s rock songs.

2. "A Town Called Malice" - The Jam

As poptastic as they got, still a very listenable single.

3. "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" - The Temptations

I loves me early '70s Temptations, but mainly when they're funky. This is a little too ballady, though of course good.

4. "Alive" - Pearl Jam

Probably my 5th favorite song on Ten, and I don't much like that album anymore.

I love this song with it's scratchy Lou Reed-ness.
Great song.
Good song, but I don't see why it gets so much attention over the rest of Neil Young's songs.
Bland hook-oriented radio synth-pop. Hey male pop singers. If you can't reach a high note without going falsetto, please, just don't try. And another thing, male pop singers. We all know you're not really sensitive, and it's all just a front so you can blame women for not liking you.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 20
This one's grown on me since last round.
Overrated but still a great song.
Great pop song.
Once again, HAIL COMMUNISM! That's right, greedy capitalists! Anyone who wants money is evil! Remember the Potemkin! You are number six! Four legs good, two legs bad! Musically a good song (The lyrics notwithstanding), but the weakest in this particular bracket.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 20
The vibe of the song hits the mood perfectly.
One of the most emotionally explosive rock songs ever, with one of the best hooks.
A good song, but it doesn't belong nearly this high.
The main loop is kind of annoying and the rapping is annoyingly boasty.

I (heart) post-punk.
'Propeller cap' rock.
Not the strongest song on the album.
Pretty good song.

These brackets seem weaker than they should be. "Imagine" will be upset though, and that's a nice surprise.

"I'm Waiting for the Man" continues to be one of the coolest rock songs I've heard. The subtle variations in its guitar riff make it mesmerizing. The Red Hot Chili Peppers aren't as bad as many make them out to be, and "Under the Bridge" is without a doubt their crowing achievement--particularly in Frusciante's guitar playing. "Heart of Gold" used to be my favorite Neil Young song, but as I've begun listening to more of his catalog, I've quickly realized that he has far better tunes (namely "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" and "On the Beach"). "Don't Dream It's Over" sounds too dated to compete with the top three here.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 20

"Paper Planes," which sounded incredibly fresh when I first heard it and has held up remarkably, takes this bracket in a wash. "Space Oddity" was ahead of its time, a classic breakout single. "Imagine" made my list in the recent all-time songs poll, but will most assuredly not next time. I like the music, but the lyrics are absurdly overrated (does anybody genuinely want what Lennon advocates in this song?). Martha and the Vandellas have never sounded any better than plain to me.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 20

It took a while, but "Born to Run" finally clicked for me recently. It is one of the best examples of a song with grand intentions actually paying off. "1979" has no nostalgic factor for me like it does for others here, but is perhaps the best of the Samshing Pumpkins' pop tunes ("Today" sure comes close). "Young Folks" defines the sound of 2000s indie perhaps better than any other single, but I wish the verses were more interesting. The oft-sampled/played "It Takes Two" is never a song that I would play by choice.

I dislike Pearl Jam greatly, but their best song is going up against weaker songs by the other three artists. The guitar solo at the end of "Alive" is one of my favorites. "A Town Called Malice" was the only Jam song to get through, wasn't it? "That's Entertainment" beats everything else I've heard from them (which, admittedly, is not a lot). I feel bad thinking this, but Buddy Holly has always seemed like one of the most overrated rock artists to me. "That'll Be The Day" just seems so average to me. It still beats how that dreary Temptations ballad.
By the way, did all of these songs face extremely easy competition in the first round? None are even approaching 'forum favorite' level.

SCHUBERT 20
1. I’M WAITING FOR THE MAN. It’s absolutely crucial with the Velvets not to let them become too domesticated. Sure, they’re now—correctly—placed among the true titans of the 60s (the most Titanic decade in rock history), the rightful peers of the Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys, Dylan and Hendrix. But Lou’s tale of a lost white boy trying to score $26 worth of heroin in Harlem, over Cale’s magnificent drone, is something far, far more untameable than anything accomplished by those other worthies.
2. HEART OF GOLD. Nobody can simultaneously celebrate and skewer the American Dream like Neil Young—probably has something to do with being Canadian. This is the primary, and best, example, but it’s a motif of his entire career. Beautiful song.
3. DON’T DREAM IT’S OVER. As a song, it’s not much. It’s pretty, but Neil Finn’s voice is just adequate, and the lyrics sound like a high school poet trying to channel David Byrne. But as a hit record, it’s damn near perfect: gorgeous, irresistible, and impossible to forget.
4. UNDER THE BRIDGE. Anthony Kiedis’ voice—basically, tuneless vamping—can be very effective on the RHCPs’ funkier songs, but it’s woefully unsuited to ballads.

MAHLER 20
1. PAPER PLANES. Thanks, Henrik. Acclaimed Music didn’t lead me directly to this song, but your site did get me back into following current music, and my discovery of M.I.A. alone would have been worth it.
2. HEAT WAVE. Martha & the Vans’ second-most-famous song, and I haven’t had the opportunity to get tired of it (as I have with “Dancing in the Street”).
3. SPACE ODDITY. Not my favorite Bowie song. He hadn’t truly found his voice yet, and really, the only reason this ranks as high as it does is because it was David Bowie’s First Big Hit. It’s his “Love Me Do.” Also, if you think about it, it’s very, very dated; it was almost a novelty at the time, cashing in on Apollo 11. So, it’s nice enough, but it’s still minor Bowie.
4. IMAGINE. When I saw that this one had come up again, I steeled myself to point out, again, wearily, why I don’t like it. But several other voters have been harsher than I ever would—“overrated crap,” “grating”—so I guess there’s no point in being defensive…

I plead guilty to the occasional knee-jerk post-boomer sixties-bashing. But that’s not what’s going on here (for me at least). I yield to nobody in my respect for John Lennon as a songwriter and performer, but I regard “Imagine” as the single worst misstep of his career.

Pace BillAdama, it’s perfectly possible to create great music celebrating Marxism (if not, Gang of Four’s in a lot of trouble). The problem is that John’s music, to be as effective and brilliant as it usually is, seems to require a certain amount of misdirection and irony, whereas “Imagine” is about as subtle as a blow to the head.

Onward…

HAYDN 20
1. 1979. Nothing in this group is anywhere near what I would consider the top 64 songs of all time (although they’re all good), but one of them will make the final 64 in this tourney. My vote goes to the Pumpkins’ biggest hit, an atypical but pleasantly dreamy interlude from Mellon Collie.
2. YOUNG FOLKS. See below.
3. BORN TO RUN. It’s very close for me between “Young Folks” and “Born to Run.” I realize that statement will make many folks’ heads explode. Discounting the bombast of “Born to Run,” we’re left with…a nice song. Which is also what “Young Folks” is, so I’m giving that one the benefit of the doubt (since I know very little about PB&J except that it’s a popular sandwich).
4. IT TAKES TWO. Has to be one of the two or three classic samples, and it’s a lot of fun, but that doesn’t quite cut the mustard at this stage.

RACHMANINOFF 19
1. THAT’LL BE THE DAY. For my money, Charles Hardin Holley’s finest hour. That gleaming arpeggiated intro still gets the blood pumping every time.
2. A TOWN CALLED MALICE. The Angry Young Man movement in English theater took place two full decades before the Jam’s career. And yet it was soundtracked by mournful MOR stuff like “A Taste of Honey.” If only they could have waited until Paul Weller’s band provided the REAL sound of Angry Young England.
3. JUST MY IMAGINATION. So sad. So smooth.
4. ALIVE. In round one, I think I said it’s the best thing on a bad album, and I’ll stick by that. (BTW, shouldn’t there be a touring festival featuring Pearl Jam, 10cc and the Lovin’ Spoonful?)

CHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 20
1: "Don't Dream It's Over" - Crowded House: Other than “Everybody Wants To Rule the World”, no song manages to capture the 80’s zeitgeist as well as this. As long as pop music survives, so will it.
2: "Heart of Gold" - Neil Young: If I’m making a ‘favorites of Neil Young’ list, this one charts. But not high.
3: "Under the Bridge" - Red Hot Chili Peppers: I never really got RHCP. I could say that my formative musical years were too locked in the pacific northwest to make room for anything below the border (which is partly true), and that I just simply didn’t get on board when most other people did. But the reality is that the group’s penchant for attention-grabbing -- socks-on-cocks, faux-homosexual kissing, etc. -- always kept me at a distance. Not only that, but I was never quite taken with the back story of drug-addicted funksters making good; the “make good” part could be restated as “stumbled upon a successful formula which would be used as a template for years to come”, which is hardly respectable. To that end, their body of work always seemed uninspired and redundant. While I’ve come to enjoy some of their output (read: a few singles), I think RHCP’s window of artistic relevancy was a brief one; this song representing a substantial portion of it.
4: "I'm Waiting for the Man" - The Velvet Underground: Someone should start a “guilty displeasures” thread, where we can admit to those particular bands/artists that continually elude us. Exhibit A.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 20
1: "Imagine" - John Lennon: I certainly don’t loathe it as much as some here do, but do I ever feel a need to listen to it? Not really. It’s far from being among Lennon’s best work, but it’s the one song here that I’d probably listen to before the others.
2: "Space Oddity" - David Bowie: Good, but no real desire to ever hear it.
3: "(Love Is Like a) Heat Wave" - Martha & the Vandellas: Give me "Jimmy Mack" any day.
4: "Paper Planes" - M.I.A.: Continues the trend of artists I appreciate, but just don’t get. Actually, I'm not even sure if I appreciate her. And I don’t even need to say which part of the song screams gimmick.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 20
1: "1979" - The Smashing Pumpkins: In 1995, this song meant little to me as a first-year adolescent. In 2010, as a firmly rooted occupant of my personal top 10, it means everything. With each day that passes, I grow a bit older and Corgan’s devastating reminder of the vanishing of youth resonates a bit more.
2: "Young Folks" - Peter Bjorn and John: Had a certain amount of cache at the time, but I haven’t listened to it in the past three years. Haven’t missed it either.
3: "Born to Run" - Bruce Springsteen: The pixie dust has worn off. I'm onto Nebraska.
4: "It Takes Two" - Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock: Eaaurrgh.

1: "Alive" - Pearl Jam: As much as I enjoy Ten as a whole; hell, it’s among my all-time favorites (not that I need to declare this fact anymore), I can agree that about half of the songs on the album are better than this. But it’s still my favorite of this bracket, by a long shot.
2: "A Town Called Malice" - The Jam: Too much B3, or whatever the hell that is.
3: "That'll Be the Day" - Buddy Holly: Classic, but a Buddy Holly compilation has yet to make its way into my collection.
4: "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" - The Temptations: Zzzzzz.

1 - "Don't Dream It's Over" - Crowded House
2 - "Heart of Gold" - Neil Young
3 - "Under the Bridge" - Red Hot Chili Peppers
4 - "I'm Waiting for the Man" - The Velvet Underground
A bracket of songs that I've sort of grown tired of. 'Don't Dream It's Over' is no longer in my top 5 Crowded House,but it's still a great pop record and NZ's most successful hit with good reason. Similarly,'Heart Of Gold' wouldn't be in my top 5 Neil Young songs,maybe not even top 10 - it's just too mainstream and overplayed,still decent though. Never been a huge RHCP fan - 'Under The Bridge' is OK,I much prefer it's B-side 'Soul To Squeeze' though and personally can't understand why it never made it onto the BSSM album. 'I'm Waiting For The Man' is a good song,but doesn't do anything for me the way a lot of their other songs do.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 20
1 - "Imagine" - John Lennon
2 - "Paper Planes" - M.I.A.
3 - "Space Oddity" - David Bowie
4 - "(Love Is Like a) Heat Wave" - Martha & the Vandellas
I don't listen to 'Imagine' very much now,probably less than 'Paper Planes',but it's still a sure beat for my favourite songs list. Can't understand all the hate for it - it's a classic. When I first heard the opening bars of this with the Clash sample,no way did I think it would be better than 'Straight To Hell',but it is. Wonderful song - one of the powerhouses of the decade. 'Space Oddity' is yet another great Bowie track,but I often overlook it - never really considered it one of his best. I heard The Who's version of 'Heatwave' first and was sort of underwhelmed when I downloaded the original to be honest.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 20
1 - "1979" - The Smashing Pumpkins
2 - "Born to Run" - Bruce Springsteen
3 - "Young Folks" - Peter Bjorn and John
4 - "It Takes Two" - Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock
This was a really tough call - '1979' has been far and away my most played song the last few months with over 50 plays. It's always been a song I've enjoyed,but it's a song that's really struck a chord of late. Nothing more needs to be said of Springsteen's greatest anthem - it's always been one of my favourites and I'm sure it will edge past '1979' to get to the next round. 'Young Folks' is a good song,always an enjoyable listen. 'It Takes Two' has never meant anything to me,well not by this artist anyway...

1 - "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" - The Temptations
2 - "That'll Be the Day" - Buddy Holly
3 - "A Town Called Malice" - The Jam
4 - "Alive" - Pearl Jam
Pretty close between these - Got to go with the Temptations with great harmonies and a memorable melody. 'That'll Be The Day' has always been one of my favourite 50s tracks,guess it will win this bracket anyway. 'A Town Called Malice' is a good song,just not of quite enough quality to go any further. 'Alive' is OK,just doesn't really stand out among the other tracks here...

1. "I'm Waiting for the Man" - The Velvet Underground: This was the song Lou Reed opened with when he played Lollapalooza last year, and it hasn’t lost any of its attitude or propulsive power. What really seals the deal for the original, though, is John Cale insistently banging that “wrong” note on the piano during the coda.
2. "Under the Bridge" - Red Hot Chili Peppers: As many have said, including myself, their brilliantly moving breakthrough smash wasn’t like anything they’d done before either musically or lyrically; since then, of course, every RHCP album has had to have at least one track that kind of sounds like it.
3. "Don't Dream It's Over" - Crowded House: Effortlessly well-crafted; one of my favorite pop records of the Eighties.
4. "Heart of Gold" - Neil Young: Neil’s biggest hit isn’t one of the Young songs that I personally would have advanced this far.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 20
1. "Space Oddity" - David Bowie: A tough bracket – a strong case could be made for any of these four records. This one gets the nod mostly because it’s so strikingly original and unlike anything else, even within Bowie’s own remarkably eclectic oeuvre. And for the acoustic guitars.
2. "Imagine" - John Lennon: Not much left to be said about this one. Simple, spare, heartfelt – and deeply subversive for such a universally beloved song.
3. "Paper Planes" - M.I.A.: Until it suddenly exploded into omnipresence the year after KALA’s release, I never thought it stood out (and, judging from its placement on the album, I suspect the artist herself didn’t, either); that’s not a criticism, just a recognition that pretty much her whole catalog is a series of heady musical/cultural mashups just like it.
4. "(Love Is Like a) Heat Wave" - Martha & the Vandellas: One of the defining early Motown hits, and a little rawer in its grooves and its call-and-response (“Go ahead, girl!”) than most of what was to come.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 20
1. "Born to Run" - Bruce Springsteen: There’s a thrilling now-or-never feeling to this song, as if he wasn’t sure he’d ever get to make another record so he’d better cram everything he had into it. It’s a magnificent statement of purpose, and I’ve never gotten tired of it.
2. "It Takes Two" - Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock: I remember SPIN naming this the #1 single of all time on their first best-song list – about a year after the record came out. It was a clear F-you gesture to ROLLING STONE, but you know what? If they did the same thing now, no one would bat an eye, because this really IS one of the great singles, hip-hop or otherwise.
3. "Young Folks" - Peter Bjorn and John: Utterly irresistible.
4. "1979" - The Smashing Pumpkins: I get why it became so popular – even on a first listen to MELLON COLLIE I think I said to myself, “Well, THAT’s going to be a single.” But I prefer almost everything on the first disc and the tail end of Disc 2.

1. "Alive" - Pearl Jam: PJ are one of the best bands of the past 20 years, but this masterpiece, which couldn’t possibly be more passionately played or sung, still stands miles above everything else they’ve done. Mike McCready’s epic closing guitar solo may very well be the finest ever recorded.
2. "That'll Be the Day" - Buddy Holly: Elvis and Chuck may have been more innovative, but Buddy and the Crickets were pretty much the first self-contained rock band, and Holly’s brilliant records (of which this was the first and arguably best) point the way toward what rock was actually going to SOUND like better than any of his contemporaries.
3. "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" - The Temptations: Beautifully arranged and sung, so much so that you can ignore how thoroughly depressing the lyrics are.
4. "A Town Called Malice" - The Jam: A very easy #4 for me, particularly for Round 2. Nice organ, though.

I'm gonna be out with some friends tonight, and I might be late in getting back in. So if anyone needs a little more time for this week, you've got it.

1. "I'm Waiting for the Man" - The Velvet Underground
I agonized over this bracket for a long time because, while I agree that they are all top-notch, I can't really point to any of them and say, "That deserves to be in the Round of 64". I'll go with this one, my favorite by the Velvets, if only for that driving, chugging, insistent beat.
2. "Under the Bridge" - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Am I the first one to note that this bracket has two songs about heroin use? Maybe I didn't read the other comments carefully enough... Where the Velvets took a matter-of-fact approach to heroin, the Peppers (understandably) chose to discuss the drug's harmful effects. And the falsetto at the end is just gorgeous.
3. "Don't Dream It's Over" - Crowded House
It has always been one of my favorites, and it's a slice of pop perfection, but I agree that it is pretty lightweight. Still, it will always hold a special place in my heart.
4. "Heart of Gold" - Neil Young
Simply a victim of SHTB4. But in this bracket, it's a fairly easy pick.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 20
1. "Paper Planes" - M.I.A.
I'm kinda surprised that I'm putting it in the top spot, but it's just one of those songs that, when it comes on, I instantly get happy. My best friend hates it, and once sarcastically said, "There need to be more songs about robbing convenience stores." I disagree that it's gimmicky, but I can understand how someone would say that.
It's definitely a product of it's time; when, other than the late '60s, could anyone have made a song about an astronaut? Yet somehow it became the catalyst to one of the more impressive musical careers. And though I may rag on it, it really is a damn good song, patchwork though it may be.
3. "Imagine" - John Lennon
The vitriol that this song has produced recently on this board stuns me. Overplayed? Sure. Overanalyzed? Definitely. Overrated? Without a doubt. But is it as bad as some people here claim? Hardly. I've heard it enough for this lifetime, but that doesn't mean it's a bad song.
4. "(Love Is Like a) Heat Wave" - Martha & the Vandellas
If ever there was an easy pick for #4, it would be this thoroughly bland slice of sixties-dom. How it won in the first round is a mystery to me.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 20
1. "Born to Run" - Bruce Springsteen
Possibly the easiest pick for a #1 spot this week. I'll save my comments for this one for the next round.
2. "It Takes Two" - Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock
One of the best rap songs of all time is also one of the best dance tracks of all time. The lyrics don't make much sense (Do we really care about Rob's dislike for Big Macs?), but the hook is big enough to make up for any lyrical shortcomings. 1, 2, 3, get loose now!
3. "1979" - The Smashing Pumpkins
Like I said back in Round 1, I don't resonate with the nostalgia content of this song; I just love the music. And it's a great song. Just not in the same league as the top two here.
4. "Young Folks" - Peter Bjorn and John
Sure, it's a pleasant enough song, but it's gone as far as it needs to go.

1. "Alive" - Pearl Jam
Harold hit it on the head about this song's guitar solo. And it really is maybe their best song.
2. "A Town Called Malice" - The Jam
Not much for me to say here other than I'm glad that the Jam had one song in Round 2. That, and this one always manages to being a smile to my face.
3. "That'll Be the Day" - Buddy Holly
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I respect Buddy Holly more than I like him.
4. "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" - The Temptations
Pleasant enough, but not a terribly memorable song.

1. "Under the Bridge" - Red Hot Chili Peppers - A stroke of genius from a bunch of idiots (well Anthony Kiedis is one, at least).
2. "I'm Waiting for the Man" - The Velvet Underground - I'd probably rather hear it more than "Under the Bridge" and the matchup is a virtual tie. Still I like "Under the Bridge" better.
3. "Heart of Gold" - Neil Young - Average Neil Young but good song.
4. "Don't Dream It's Over" - Crowded House - Why is this acclaimed?

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 20
2. "Paper Planes" - M.I.A.
2. "Imagine" - John Lennon

I really can't decide. Can it be a three-way tie? If not go in the order I have above (M.I.A., Lennon, Bowie). They're all amazing songs.

4. "(Love Is Like a) Heat Wave" - Martha & the Vandellas - Could win most first-round brackets.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 20
1. "Born to Run" - Bruce Springsteen - One of my all-time favorites if not the all-time favorite.
2. "It Takes Two" - Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock - Woot! Yeah!
3. "1979" - The Smashing Pumpkins - I can appreciate what the Pumpkins do but it doesn't move me.
4. "Young Folks" - Peter Bjorn and John - The whistling and the video were cute, but I don't really think there's a substantial song here.

1. "Alive" - Pearl Jam - I don't think it's their best song (give me "Jeremy" or "Black") but it's definitely good enough to win this bracket.
2. "That'll Be the Day" - Buddy Holly - I have a problem with most '50s songs being overrated on this site, but not this one, not at all.
3. "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" - The Temptations - Nice, but bland.
4. "A Town Called Malice" - The Jam - Doesn't strike me as anything above standard new-wave fare.

This week's voting is now over.

In the second week of the second round, a bit more fat is trimmed from Bracketology. Moving on are a group of New Yorkers, a man from Brixton, New Jersey's second-favorite son (after Ol' Blue Eyes), and a man who died over a half-century ago. Here are your results.

1. "I'm Waiting for the Man" - The Velvet Underground (34 points, 6 first-place votes)
2. "Under the Bridge" - Red Hot Chili Peppers (32, 2)
3. "Heart of Gold" - Neil Young (30, 1)
4. "Don't Dream It's Over" - Crowded House (24, 3)

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 20
1. "Space Oddity" - David Bowie (37, 4)
2. "Paper Planes" - M.I.A. (35, 5)
3. "Imagine" - John Lennon (27, 3)
4. "(Love Is Like a) Heat Wave" - Martha & the Vandellas (21, 0)

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 20
1. "Born to Run" - Bruce Springsteen (42, 8)
2. "1979" - The Smashing Pumpkins (36, 4)
3. "Young Folks" - Peter Bjorn and John (22, 0)
4. "It Takes Two" - Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock (20, 0)

1. "That'll Be the Day" - Buddy Holly (38, 5)
2. "Alive" - Pearl Jam (31, 5)
3. "A Town Called Malice" - The Jam (27, 1)
4. "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" - The Temptations (24, 1)