Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #7

Some of you were asking about how these seeds were determined. What I've done for the past 2 years is created a formula for the top songs for each year (1955-2009). This formula is about 40% popularity, 30% critical acclaim and 30% personal opinions, longevity and other random year end lists and charts. Then I took all the total of all the singles (albums to come later.) and created a spreadsheet of the totals for each artist 1-1024. After putting together the 64 brackets in conjunction with each artists ranking, I moved a few artists around (no more than 2 seeds either way) in order to make the matchups more diverse and interesting. Only a handful of artists were actually moved.

BRACKET #7

#1 (17) THE BEACH BOYS vs. #16 (1008) THE GEORGIA SATELLITES

One of the biggest acts of the 60’s with a number of big hits including “Good Vibrations”, “California Girls”, “God Only Knows” and “I Get Around”

The Georgia Satellites are the Southern Rock band best known for their 1986 hit “Keep Your Hands To Yourself” along with “Battleship Chains” and a cover of “Hippy Hippy Shake”

#8 (496) THE SMITHEREENS vs. #9 (529) THE RASPBERRIES

The Smithereens are an American rock band popular in the late 80’s/early 90’s with “Blood And Roses”, “Behind The Wall of Sleep”, “A Girl Like You” and “Top Of The Pops”.

The Raspberries are the 70’s power/pop band who had a few hits including “Go All The Way”, “I Wanna Be With You” and “Overnight Sensation (Hit Record)”

#5 (273) WAR vs. #12 (752) RANCID

War is the American funk band best known for “Low Rider”, “Why Can’t We Be Friends”, “The Cisco Kid” and “Spill The Wine”

Rancid, the American punk band best known for “Ruby Soho”, “Salvation”, “Fall back Down” and “Time Bomb”

#4 (240) EDDIE COCHRAN vs. #13 (785) DAVID LEE ROTH

Eddie was an influential Rockabilly artist in the late 50’s/early 60’s best known for his hit “Summertime Blues”. Other hits include “Twenty Flight Rock”, “C’Mon Everybody” and “Somethin’ Else”

DLR left Van Halen in 1985 to pursue a solo career that gave us “Yankee Rose”, “Just Like Paradise”, “California Girls” and “Just A Gigolo/I Ain’t Got Nobody”

#3 (145) SCORPIONS vs. #14 (880) MUDHONEY

The German hard rockers have been putting out music for four decades including the 1984 hit “Rock You Like A Hurricane” and the 1991 ballad “Wind Of Change”. Other include “No One Like You” and “Big City Nights”

Mudhoney was one of the most influential leaders of the grunge movement due to their 1988 song “Touch Me, I’m Sick”. “Let It Slide” and “Suck You Dry” are their other songs that got a little airplay.

#6 (368) THE O’JAYS vs. #11 (657) THE POGUES

70’s R&B act The O’Jays had a number of big hits including “Love Train”, “Backstabbers”, “For The Love Of Money” and “I Love Music”.

The Pogues unique blend of punk and folk left us with some memorable 80’s hits including “Fairytale Of New York”, “Sunny Side Of The Street”, “Dirty Old Town” and “Irish Rover”

#7 (401) TELEVISION vs. #10 (624) SILVERCHAIR

Influential to both punk and new wave, Television released the landmark 1977 album ‘Marquee Moon’ which had “Marquee Moon”, “Prove It” and “Venus” on it. They also gave us 1975’s “Little Johnny Jewel”.

The Aussie rockers Silverchair gained notoriety with 1994’s “Tomorrow”. Along the way they also gave us “Abuse Me”, “Ana’s Song (Open Fire)” and “Straight Lines”.

#2 (112) HEART vs. #15 (913) ROONEY

The Hard Rockers Heart led by sisters Ann and Nancy Wilson gained popularity in the 70’s with “Crazy On You” and “Barracuda” while returning to popularity in the 80’s with a number of power ballads like “These Dreams” and “Alone”

In the last half of the 00’s Rooney introduced their Weezer meets The Beach Boys style with songs like “I’m Shakin’”, “Blue Side” and “When Did Your Heart Go Missing”.

Re: ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #7

#1 (17) THE BEACH BOYS
#9 (529) THE RASPBERRIES
#5 (273) WAR
#4 (240) EDDIE COCHRAN
#3 (145) SCORPIONS
#11 (657) THE POGUES
#7 (401) TELEVISION
#2 (112) HEART

1 (17) THE BEACH BOYS
#9 (529) THE RASPBERRIES
#5 (273) WAR
#4 (240) EDDIE COCHRAN
#14 (880) MUDHONEY
#6 (368) THE O’JAYS
#7 (401) TELEVISION
#2 (112) HEART

O'Jays vs. Pogues is probably the toughest matchup in this thing so far. Smithereens vs. Raspberries is pretty strong, too.

#1 (17) THE BEACH BOYS
#8 (496) THE SMITHEREENS
#5 (273) WAR
#4 (240) EDDIE COCHRAN
#3 (145) SCORPIONS
#11 (657) THE POGUES
#7 (401) TELEVISION
#2 (112) HEART

1. The Beach Boys
8. The Smithereens
12. Rancid (they’re at least a guilty pleasure, whereas War is not a pleasure of any kind)
4. Eddie Cochran
14. Mudhoney
11. The Pogues (I agree, Harold…really could have gone either way here)
7. Television
2. Heart

(Had to check out Rooney.)

MOST UNDERRATED
The Pogues (UMT 657, AM 224); Television (UMT 401, AM 141).

MOST OVERRATED
The Smithereens (UMT 496, AM n/a); Heart (UMT 112, AM 1665); Silverchair (UMT 624; AM n/a).

VERY, VERY, VERY CLOSE
Mudhoney (UMT 880, AM 879 (!!)); The Beach Boys (UMT 17, AM 12).

#1 Beach Boys
#5 War
#13 David Lee Roth
#3 Scorpions - very surprised to see the Scorps this high
#2 Heart - love them! "Alone" is one of my favorite songs of all time

Silverchair was also notable because the band members were only 15 when they recorded their debut album in 1995.

#1 THE BEACH BOYS

The Georgia Satelites are in the top 1024 artists?

#9 THE RASPBERRIES

Both I find to be a bit overrated.

#5 WAR

Don't dislike Rancid, but I've had "Why Can't We Be Friends" stuck in my head more times than I care to remember.

#4 EDDIE COCHRAN

I forgot about “C’Mon Everybody.” That's a good song!

#14 MUDHONEY

I'll forgive them for "grunge."

#6 THE O’JAYS

I join the chorus finding this a tough call. But I love the smooth sound of the O'Jays.

#7 TELEVISION

No question.

#2 HEART

That Ronney hit was kinda cute. But Heart are fun, albeit often way too over the top.

#1 the Beach Boys
#8 The Smithereens
#5 WAR
#4 EDDIE COCHRAN
#14 Mudhoney
#11 The Pogues
#7 Television
#15 Rooney (close one but Rooney is the ultimate guilty pleasure)

#6 (368) THE O’JAYS

I find the Pogues seriously overrated.

#7 (401) TELEVISION

"We are the youth, please take your fascism away!" How did post-grunge sink to that level?

#1 The Beach Boys
#9 The Raspberries
#5 War
#4 Eddie Cochrane
#3 Scorpions
#11 The Pogues
#7 Television
#2 Heart

BillAdama
#6 (368) THE O’JAYS

I find the Pogues seriously overrated.

"We are the youth, please take your fascism away!" How did post-grunge sink to that level?

I perfer the Wonderstuff over the Pogues and the Waterboys who they're always being compared to.

I was hoping someone would have the exact same picks as me so I could copy and paste,but damn - no one does:

#1 (17) THE BEACH BOYS
#9 (529) THE RASPBERRIES
#5 (273) WAR
#4 (240) EDDIE COCHRAN
#14 (880) MUDHONEY
#11 (657) THE POGUES
#7 (401) TELEVISION
#2 (112) HEART

RESULTS from Bracket #7

The Beach Boys 100%
The Smithereens 68.4% / The Raspberries 31.6%
War 75% / Rancid 25%
Eddie Cochran 60% / David Lee Roth 40%
Scorpions 73.7% / Mudhoney 26.3%
The O'Jays 52.6% / The Pogues 47.4%
*** Tie *** Television & Silverchair 50% each ***
Heart 90% / Rooney 10%

*** With the tie, Television and Silverchair will face Heart in the next round for some freeky 3-way action.