Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #6

BRACKET #6

#1 (49) THE EVERLY BROTHERS vs. #16 (976) THE TING TINGS

In the late 50’s/early 60’s, The Everly Brothers style of country influenced Rock ‘N Roll made them one of the biggest acts with songs like “Wake Up Little Susie”, “Bye Bye Love”, “Cathy’s Clown” and “All I Have To Do Is Dream”.

The Ting Tings are a British Duo who had a huge breakout album in 2008 and the singles “Shut Up And Let Me Go”, “That’s Not My Name” and “Great DJ”.

#8 (464) GARTH BROOKS vs. #9 (561) JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE

One of the few contemporary country artists to have crossover and critical acclaim. He was one of the biggest selling acts of the 90’s with songs like “Friends In Low Places”, “The Dance”, “Shameless” and “Standing Outside The Fire”

JT, has lost his image as the guy who was in one of those god-awful boy bands to have a successful solo career. “Sexyback”, “My Love”, “Rock Your Body” and “Cry Me A River” are some of what he is known for.

#5 (305) 2PAC vs. #12 (720) GORDON LIGHTFOOT

At the tail end of ’The Golden Age of Hip-Hop’ came 2Pac who delivered some memorable hits including “California Love”, “I Get Around”, “Dear Mama” and “How Do You Want It”

Gordo, a singer/songwriter had a few hits in the early 70’s including “Sundown”, “If You Could Read My Mind”, “Carefree Highway” and “The Wreck Of Edmond Fitzgerald”.

#4 (208) PATTI SMITH vs. #13 (817) THE MIGHTY MIGHTY BOSSTONES

Patti, the Godmother of Punk, or the punk-poet, anyway you look at it she was influential in the mid to late 70’s with songs like “Gloria”, “Because The Night”, “Pissing In A River” and “Dancing Barefoot”

The Bosstones are the American ska-core band that gave us “The Impression That I Get”, “Someday I Suppose”, “The Rascal King” and “Kinder Words”

#3 (177) PRETENDERS vs. #14 (848) MIKE + THE MECHANICS

Either new wave or post punk, however you categorize this band they left a mark in the 80’s with a number of hits including “Brass In Pocket”, “Back On The Chain Gang”, “Middle Of The Road” and 1994’s “I’ll Stand By You”.

What was a side project from Genesis member Mike Rutherford and Paul Carrack who was in a number of bands including Squeeze turned out a few hits in the 80’s with “All I Need Is A Miracle”, “Silent Running” and “The Living Years”

#6 (336) B.B. KING vs. #11 (689) THE DAVE CLARK FIVE

Legendary blues guitarist, who has on his resume songs like “The Thrill Is Gone”, “Paying The Cost To Be The Boss”, “Sweet Little Angel” and “Everyday I Have The Blues”.

As part of the British Invasion of the 60’s, The DC5 had a number of hits including “Bits And Pieces”, “Glad All Over”, “Catch Us If You Can”, “Over And Over”

#7 (433) JIMMY BUFFETT vs. #10 (592) CHRISTOPHER CROSS

Jimmy Buffett, singer/songwriter, businessmen and provocateur of the layed back lifestyle. The man made a killing of songs like “Margaritaville”, “Come Monday”, “Fins” and “Cheeseburger In Paradise”.

The smooooooth sound of Christopher Cross, sorry I threw up a little in my mouth. Cross took over the pop charts in the early 80’s with songs like “Sailing”, “Ride Like The Wind”, “Arthur’s Theme (Best That You Can Do)” and “All Right”

#2 (80) WEEZER vs. #15 (945) GOLDFINGER

Weezer, the American alt/rock band that produced the hits “Buddy Holly”, “Undone - The Sweater Song”, “El Scorcho” and “Beverly Hills”

Goldfinger, the American pop/punk band that gave us “Here In Your Bedroom”, “Mable” and “Open Your Eyes”

Re: ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #6

#1 (49) THE EVERLY BROTHERS
#9 (561) JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE
#5 (305) 2PAC
#4 (208) PATTI SMITH
#3 (177) PRETENDERS
#6 (336) B.B. KING
#7 (433) JIMMY BUFFETT
#2 (80) WEEZER

That Patti vs. Bosstones matchup looks to be quite the squeaker.

#5 (305) 2PAC
#4 (208) PATTI SMITH
#3 (177) PRETENDERS
#6 (336) B.B. KING
#10 (592) CHRISTOPHER CROSS
#2 (80) WEEZER

#1 The Everly Brothers
#9 Justin Timberlake
#5 2Pac
#4 Patti Smith
#3 Pretenders
#6 B.B. King
#10 Christopher Cross
#2 Weezer

#12 (720) GORDON LIGHTFOOT
#4 (208) PATTI SMITH
#3 (177) PRETENDERS
#6 (336) B.B. KING
#2 (80) WEEZER

Everly Brothers
Justin Timberlake
Gordon Lightfoot (I love most of hip-hop major acts of the 90s, but not 2pac at all)
Patti Smith
Pretenders
B.B. King
Weezer (but I looooove Goldfinger's Superman, and a few other songs)

No serious upsets today.

1. Everly Brothers
9. Justin Timberlake
5. 2Pac
4. Patti Smith
3. Pretenders
6. B.B. King
7. Jimmy Buffett
2. Weezer

MOST UNDERRATED
Justin Timberlake (UMT 561, AM 264). I’m very surprised by this one, since UMT takes into account chart success (right?). If Mariah was a #1, surely JT should be higher than a #9…

MOST OVERRATED
Jimmy Buffett (UMT 433, AM n/a); Christopher Cross (UMT 592, AM n/a); Dave Clark Five (UMT 689, AM 2079).

SORT OF CLOSE
Pretenders (UMT 177, AM 143); B.B. King (UMT 336, AM 269).

#1 THE EVERLY BROTHERS

Not a big fan of theirs, but an easy win nonetheless.

#9 JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE

My knowledge of Brooks is quite poor for someone who was such a huge artist, but I do like what Timberlake has been doing the past decade.

#5 2PAC

I have no real thoughts on this matchup.

#4 (208) PATTI SMITH

Smith is incredibly inconsistent, but her highs are impressive.

#3 PRETENDERS

Hynde is a unique voice in mainstream rock.

#6 B.B. KING

I had a friend who spent months trying to copy a single lick from a B.B. King solo.

#10 CHRISTOPHER CROSS

Let me be clear.. in the pantheon of horrible artists there are three who stand at the top. Not only do they have no redeeming value, their music is an affirmative attack on everything that I value aesthetically. In no particular order, they are: Bette Midler (about whom I will have more to say in another post I'm planning), KISS, and Jimmy Buffett.

#2 WEEZER

Yes I know that Cuomo sang that his favorite rock group was KISS. He was just pyaing a character in "In The Garage," right... right?

1. the Everly Brother (the Ting Tings su-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ck)
2. I can't stand him and cannot possibly believe even Pitchfork is listing FutureSex/LoveSounds as an album of the decade over pop classics by Annie and Robyn, but JT barely edges out Brooks but probably not Chris Gains :-)
3. 2Pac
4. Patti Smith (the only album by at woman in the top 20 and unlike all the other females her album has not fallen that significantly from the list)
5. Pretenders
6. B.B. King
7. Jimmy Buffet
8. Weezer

#5 (305) 2PAC
#4 (208) PATTI SMITH
#3 (177) PRETENDERS
#6 (336) B.B. KING
#2 (80) WEEZER

Didn't really have to think twice about any of these, although I'm especially surprised that Timberlake isn't a much higher seed. The Cross/Buffet bracket is spectacularly weak.

Everly Brothers
Justin Timberlake
2Pac
Patti Smith
Pretenders
B.B. King
Weezer

I'm curious how the points were calculated to come up with the seedings, but the randomness of the whole thing is fun.

THE EVERLY BROTHERS
JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE
2PAC
PATTI SMITH
PRETENDERS
B.B. KING
CHRISTOPHER CROSS
WEEZER

I can't believe I voted for Christopher Cross! But, considering "The Best That You Can Do" >>> Jimmy Buffett's entire career, I guess it was an easy pick.

Schwah

#2 WEEZER

Yes I know that Cuomo sang that his favorite rock group was KISS. He was just pyaing a character in "In The Garage," right... right?

He's got Peter Criss!

BRACKET #6

I really like that one Ting Ting's song. But only that one song.

As much as it paints me to vote for Timberlake. Both him and Brooks have the capability of producing really good music, and really haven't. But, Timberlake is still young enough to do it.

#4 (208) PATTI SMITH

I like the Bosstones, but not in the same class as Patti Smith.

#6 (336) B.B. KING

Viva blues.

#2 (80) WEEZER

Weezer has a few good singles and one good album. I'll go with a band that done really good and really bad stuff over a band that's done neither.

#1 The Everly Brothers
#9 Justin Timberlake - just to be clear, this is a vote against Garth Brooks
#12 Gordon Lightfoot - note: correct song title is "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"
#13 The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
#3 The Pretenders
#6 B. B. King
#7 Jimmy Buffet

I abstain from the final matchup, but I must ask:
Weezer is a #2? (btw, you neglected to mention "Island in the Sun", which was inescapable in 2001)

#16 (976) THE TING TINGS

#5 (305) 2PAC

#4 (208) PATTI SMITH

#6 (336) B.B. KING

I abstain from Buffett v. Cross, they're both equally miserable.

#5 (305) 2PAC
#4 (208) PATTI SMITH
#3 (177) PRETENDERS
#6 (336) B.B. KING
#7 (433) JIMMY BUFFETT
#2 (80) WEEZER

Results from Bracket #6....

The Everly Brothers 85.7% / The Ting Tings 14.3%