Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #4

Vote for the winners...

#1 (33) DURAN DURAN vs. #16 (992) RISE AGAINST

Duran Duran, the iconic 80's new wave (New Romantic) band who were considered the leaders behind what was called the second British invasion brought on by the creation of MTV. Songs like "Hungry Like The Wolf", "Rio" and "The Reflex" were among many hits in the 80's. "Ordinary World" and "Come Undone" helped to maintain an audience in the 90's.

Rise Against... are they a punk band, a screamo band. Not really sure, they sort of fit into the current state of what is mainstream alternative acts even though there really isn't alternative rock anymore since it became mainstream years ago. "Prayer For The Refugee", "Savior" and "Re-Education (through Labor)" are some of their hits.

#8 (480) FOGHAT vs. #9 (545) WILCO

Any movie that has a flashback to the 70's might use Foghat's most popular song "Slow Ride". Others include "Fool For The City" and "I Just Want To Make Love To You".

Wilco, The critically acclaimed alt-rock/alt-country band out of Chicago. Best known for their albums like 'Yankee Foxtrot Hotel' or 'A Ghost Is Born' than for their singles like "Heavy Metal Drummer", "You And I", "Box Full Of Letters" or "Jesus Etc...".

#5 (289) JOHN DENVER vs. #12 (736) JOHN COLTRANE

John Denver was a big pop star in the 70's. "Take Me Home Country Roads", "Thank God, I'm A Country Boy", "Sunshine On My Shoulders" & " Annie's Song"

John Coltrane, one of the greatest American saxophonists ever. Obviously better known for his albums as a whole than for singles like "A Love Supreme", "Giant Steps" and "My Favorite Things".

#4 (224) THE ARCADE FIRE vs. #13 (801) THE CHIFFONS

The Arcade Fire, a Canadian Indie band that has released two of the biggest albums in the past 10 years. "Rebellion (Lies)", "Intervention", "Keep The Car Running" and "Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)" are amongst their most recognized songs.

The Chiffons were a popular girl group in the early 60's with hits like "Will You Love Me Tomorrow", "He's So Fine", "One Fine Day", and "Sweet Talkin' Guy"

#3 (161) NO DOUBT vs. #14 (864) RUSTED ROOT

From 1995 until 2003, No Doubt were one of the biggest bands on the planet with songs like "Don't Speak", "Just A Girl", "Hey Baby" and "Spiderwebs".

Rusted Root are in the vein of the hippie jam band and hit the mainstream in 1994 with their album 'When I Woke' that launched the singles "Send Me On My way" and "Ecstasy".

#6 (352) ISAAC HAYES vs #11 (673) SEAN PAUL

When speaking of Isaac there are two words that come to mind; Shaft and Chef. "The Theme From Shaft" and "Chocolate Salty Balls". Others include "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" and "Don't Go Away".

Sean Paul is the Jamaican dancehall artist that had top ten hits in the '00's including "Get Busy", "Temperature", "Break It Off" and "Gimme The Light"

#7 (417) DE LA SOUL vs. #10 (608) FALL OUT BOY

Back in 1989 De La Soul came out with one of the best hip-hop albums ever with '3 Feet High And Rising' and the singles "Me Myself And I" and "The Magic Number/Buddy". Others include "A Roller Skating Jam Named 'Saturdays' and "Oooh".

Fall Out Boy has become the poster boy for everything that's wrong with rock music in the new millenium. Their punk/pop stylings with songs like "Dance, Dance", "This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race", "I Don't Care" and "Sugar, We're Going Down".

#2 (96) PAUL ANKA vs. #15 (929) TEENAGE FANCLUB

Paul Anka was huge in the late 50's/early 60's with a ton of hits singles including "Diane", "Put Your Head On My Shoulder" "Lonely Boy" and "Puppy Love"

Teenage Fanclub, a Scottish alt/rock band with a number of hits in the UK and on the US alternative charts including "The Concept", "Star Sign", "Sparky's Dream" and "Ain't That Enough"

Re: ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #4

#1 (33) DURAN DURAN
#9 (545) WILCO
#12 (736) JOHN COLTRANE
#4 (224) THE ARCADE FIRE
#3 (161) NO DOUBT
#6 (352) ISAAC HAYES
#7 (417) DE LA SOUL
#15 (929) TEENAGE FANCLUB

I met Isaac Hayes. Very personable. Brilliant musician.

Duran Duran
Wilco
John Coltrane
Arcade FIre (no "the")
Isaac Hayes
De La Soul

The brackets I voted in seem so lop-sided to me. The John Coltrane one is especially ridiculous.

#1 (33) DURAN DURAN
#9 (545) WILCO
#12 (736) JOHN COLTRANE
#4 (224) THE ARCADE FIRE
#3 (161) NO DOUBT
#6 (352) ISAAC HAYES
#7 (417) DE LA SOUL

1. Duran Duran
9. Wilco
12. John Coltrane
4. Arcade Fire
3. No Doubt
6. Isaac Hayes
7. De La Soul
15. Teenage Fanclub (but let us not forget that in the mid-sixties, a French critic compared the Beatles unfavorably with Mr. Anka!)

MOST UNDERRATED
John Coltrane (UMT 736, AM 59); Teenage Fanclub (UMT 929, AM 339); Wilco (UMT 545, AM 92).

MOST OVERRATED
Paul Anka (UMT 96, AM n/a); John Denver (UMT 289, AM n/a); Foghat (UMT 480, AM n/a).

SORT OF CLOSE
Isaac Hayes (UMT 352, AM 232).

lop-sided doesn't even begin to cover it.

Duran Duran
Wilco
John Coltrane
Arcade Fire
Issac Hayes
De La Soul

#1 DURAN DURAN
#9 WILCO
#12 JOHN COLTRANE
#4 THE ARCADE FIRE
#3 NO DOUBT
#6 ISAAC HAYES
#7 DE LA SOUL
#15 TEENAGE FANCLUB

Wilco
John Coltrane
Arcade Fire
De La Soul
Teenage Fanclub

Why is Coltrane an underdog? He should be a 1 or 2 seed.

#1 (33) DURAN DURAN
#9 (545) WILCO
#12 (736) JOHN COLTRANE
#4 (224) ARCADE FIRE
#6 (352) ISAAC HAYES
#7 (417) DE LA SOUL

1. Duran Duran (regretfully although I liked their 90s hits even Electric Barberella)
2. Wilco
3. John Coltrane
4. Arcade Fire
5. No Doubt
6. Isaac Hayes
7. De La Soul
8. Teenage Fanclub (check out their brilliant song Did I Say)

Rise Against : I like Heaven Knows a lot, and some other songs are good... while I don't like anything from Duran Duran
Wilco (obviously)
The Arcade Fire
Isaac Hayes
De La Soul
Teenage Fanclub

Duran Duran
Wilco
John Denver
The Chiffons
No Doubt
Isaac Hayes
De La Soul
Teenage Fanclub

#1 (33) DURAN DURAN
#9 (545) WILCO
#5 (289) JOHN DENVER*
#4 (224) THE ARCADE FIRE
#3 (161) NO DOUBT
#6 (352) ISAAC HAYES
#7 (417) DE LA SOUL

*Didn't realize there were so many jazz fans around here - nothing against Coltrane,I just don't like jazz that much...

#16 (992) RISE AGAINST
#9 (545) WILCO
#12 (736) JOHN COLTRANE
#4 (224) THE ARCADE FIRE
#3 (161) NO DOUBT
#6 (352) ISAAC HAYES
#7 (417) DE LA SOUL

#1 (33) DURAN DURAN

#9 (545) WILCO