Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #3

Vote for the winners.

ULTIMATE MUSIC TOURNAMENT:Bracket #3Share
Today at 10:17am | Edit Note | Delete
#1 (32) MARIAH CAREY vs. #16 (993) SUFJAN STEVENS

For the past 20 years Mariah has been one of the most successful pop artists with 18 #1 singles.

Sufjan Stevens, an American singer-songwriter best known for his 2005 critically acclaimed album 'Illinois'.

#8 (481) SOCIAL DISTORTION vs. #9 (544) BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD

Social D, one of the most successful American punk bands over the past 30 years. Best known for their 1990 single "Ball And Chain". Others include, "I Was Wrong", "Bad Luck" and "Story Of My Life"

Buffalo Springfield was one of the most influential folk-rock bands of the late 60's whose legacy is linked to their biggest hit, "For What Its Worth". Others include "Mr. Soul", "Expecting To Fly" & "Rock 'N Roll Women"

#5 (288) JOHNNY RIVERS vs. #12 (737) BELL BIV DEVOE

Johnny Rivers, an American singer song writer who had a string of hits in the 60's and 70's, most of which were cover songs. Some of the biggest; "Memphis", "Secret Agent Man", "The Tracks Of My Tears" and "Poor Side Of Town".

BBD, born out of the demise of New Edition, leaders of the 'New Jack Swing'. back in the early 90's they gave us "Poison", "Do Me", "BBD (I Thought It Was Me)" and "She's Dope".

#4 (225) TESLA vs #13 (800) BELLY

Tesla, an American hard rock band whose success in the late 80's early 90's was loosely associated with the hair band movement of the time. Biggest hits were "Love Song", "Signs", "What You Give" & "Modern Day Cowboy"

Belly, an American alt-pop band out of Boston who only had 2 albums but were both well recieved. Best known for their 1993 hit "Feed The Tree". Others include "Gepetto", "Now They'll Sleep" and "Slow Dog"

#3 (160) JACKIE WILSON vs. #14 (865) MARSHALL CRENSHAW

Jackie Wilson is the hall of fame singer known as "Mr. Excitement". He had hits in the 50's & 60's including "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher", "Reet Petite", "Lonely Teardrops" and "Night"

Marshall Crenshaw is a power pop performer who had some success in the early 80's with "Someday Someway" and "Whenver Your On My Mind".

#6 (353) NELLY FURTADO vs. #11 (672) BONNIE RAITT

Nelly is a Canadian singer songwriter best known for her hits "I'm Like A Bird", "Promiscuous", "Maneater" and "Say It Right"

Bonnie Raitt an American blues singer songwriter who released critically acclaimed albums in the 70's but never had any commercial success until the 90's with "Something To Talk About", "Love Sneakin' Up On You" and "I Can't Make You Love Me"

#7 (416) KC & THE SUNSHINE BAND vs. #10 (609) PANIC! AT THE DISCO

Back in the 70's, KC was disco. "That's The Way (I Like It)", "(Shake Shake Shake) Shake Your Booty", "Keep It Comin Love" & "Please Don't Go"

Panic! is the Vegas rock band best known for their 2006 hit "I Write Sins Not Tragedies". Other include "Nine In The Afternoon", "The Only Difference Between Martyrdom And Suicide Is Press Coverage" and "But It's Better If You Do"

#2 (97) NIRVANA vs. #15 (928) SPEARHEAD

"Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Heart Shaped Box", "Come As You Are", "All Appolgies"

Michael Franti & Spearhead, one of the most underated and creative groups in hip-hop. After 15 years finally had a hit in the US with "Say Hey (I Love You)". Others include "Hole In The Bucket" and "Why Oh Why"

Re: ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #3

#16 (993) SUFJAN STEVENS
#8 (481) SOCIAL DISTORTION
#5 (288) JOHNNY RIVERS
#13(800) BELLY
#14(865) MARSHALL CRENSHAW
#11 (672) BONNIE RAITT
#7 (416) KC & THE SUNSHINE BAND
#2 (97) NIRVANA

Sufjan Stevens
Buffalo Springfield (not as an obvious choice as it can seem)
KC and the Sunshine Band
Nirvana

#16 (993) SUFJAN STEVENS
#9 (544) BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD
#5 (288) JOHNNY RIVERS
#13 (800) BELLY
#3 (160) JACKIE WILSON
#11 (672) BONNIE RAITT
#2 (97) NIRVANA

#16 (993) SUFJAN STEVENS
#3 (160) JACKIE WILSON

Bad luck for Mariah...

#16 SUFJAN STEVENS

I do like Illinois a lot, so I get plenty of pleasure voting for Stevens. I get much more pleasure voting against Carey.

#9 BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD

No particulr problem with Social D. Kinda like them when their songs come on, but not enough to buy an album. Buffalo Springfield, however, I do like a lot. If you remember, I even tried to get them voted in during the AM Hall of Fame.

#12 BELL BIV DEVOE

No particular love for them, although I have some residual guilt for dismissing them so easily when they were popular. "Poison" is a track that has stood the test of time, I suppose.

#13 BELLY

Going to college in Massachusetts in the early 90's, there was a lot of love for Tanya Donnelly/Throwing Muses/Belly. I kinda vaguely agreed, although I was more of a Juliana Hatfield guy myself.

#3 JACKIE WILSON

I'll admit that my knowledge of Crenshaw is not what it should be. Wilson had that very unique voice, though. Not what I like to listent to most of the time in my R&B, but enjoyable, nonetheless.

#11 BONNIE RAITT

Both are overpraised. Raitt has more talent so she wins.

#7 KC & THE SUNSHINE BAND

Not much love in this vote. Will enjoy when KC gets destroyed by Nirvana next round.

#2 NIRVANA

I'm not the biggest Nirvana fan, but they certainly win this matchup.

#1 Mariah Carey - I lost interest after "Always Be My Baby", but still, she had some fantastic songs pre-1996.

#9 Buffalo Springfield - FWIW FTW!

#12 Bell Biv Devoe - ABC BBD

#4 Tesla - Tesla is a 4-seed?

#3 Jackie Wilson - IMHO, Jackie Wilson > James Brown

#11 Bonnie Raitt - BR wins a war of attrition, but I'll give her props, "I Can't Make You Love Me" is a beautiful song, and a great performance

#7 KC & the Sunshine Band - PATD, GTHO!

#2 Nirvana - They missed my "teenage angst" window by a couple of years, so I didn't connect with Nirvana the way kids just a couple of years younger than me seemed to. However, Cobain pretty much perfected the tortured musical genius role, so I will defer to said genius for a couple of rounds, at least.

16. Sufjan Stevens
8. Social Distortion
5. Johnny Rivers
13. Belly
3. Jackie Wilson
11. Bonnie Raitt
7. KC & the Sunshine Band
2. Nirvana

At a club in Houston in the early 90s, one the guys in Social Distortion offered to kick the shit out of me, because I was hitting on (someone who I didn’t know was) his girlfriend. I still like ‘em anyway.

I’d love to be able to throw Marshall Crenshaw a bone—his s/t is one of the all-time great power pop albums—but he doesn’t beat Jackie.

#16 (993) SUFJAN STEVENS
#5 (288) JOHNNY RIVERS
#13 (800) BELLY
#3 (160) JACKIE WILSON
#6 (353) NELLY FURTADO
#2 (97) NIRVANA

Sufjan Stevens
Social Distortion (by a hair)
KC & the Sunshine Band

The others have at least one I've never heard.

Sufjan Stevens
Buffalo Springfield
KC & the Sunshine Band
Nirvana

The Mariah vs Sufjan match-up is kind of funny. If you were to sample a hundred random people, you would get pretty decisive results in favor of Mariah, as the vast majority likely have never heard of Sufjan. On the other hand, if you sampled a hundred random people who have heard of Sufjan, you probably get the exact opposite result.

Nirvana is an easy favorite for this week's bracket. Depending on the average age of the participants, they're probably one of the best artists in the competition to bet on.

#16 (993) SUFJAN STEVENS

How much did you weight overall sales in your formula?

For several classic singles and one classic album.

#11 (672) BONNIE RAITT

One of the pioneers of a genre beats some random pop bandwagon surfer.

#2 (97) NIRVANA vs. #15 (928) SPEARHEAD

I'm surprised Nirvana wound up down at 97. Probably because they have fewer albums than most of the other big bands.

Sufjan Stevens
Social Distortion
Johnny Rivers
Belly
Marshall Crenshaw
Bonnie Raitt
KC & the Sunshine Band
Nirvana

#16 (993) SUFJAN STEVENS
#5 (288) JOHNNY RIVERS
#3 (160) JACKIE WILSON
#6 (353) NELLY FURTADO
#2 (97) NIRVANA

*Don't know either of those 2 other artists in the 4th matchup...

RESULTS from bracket #3 ....

Sufjan Stevens 51.7% / Mariah Carey 48.3%
Social Distortion 51.7% / Buffalo Springfield 48.3%
Bell Biv Devoe 52% / Johnny Rivers 48%
Tesla 57.9% / Belly 42.1%
Jackie Wilson 76.2% / Marshall Crenshaw 23.8%
Bonnie Raitt 52.2% / Nelly Furtado 47.8%
KC & The Sunshine Band 75% / Panic! At The Disco 25%
Nirvana 100% / Michael Franti & Spearhead 0%

Slick
RESULTS from bracket #3 ....

Social Distortion 51.7% / Buffalo Springfield 48.3%
Bell Biv Devoe 52% / Johnny Rivers 48%
Tesla 57.9% / Belly 42.1%
Jackie Wilson 76.2% / Marshall Crenshaw 23.8%
Bonnie Raitt 52.2% / Nelly Furtado 47.8%
KC & The Sunshine Band 75% / Panic! At The Disco 25%
Nirvana 100% / Michael Franti & Spearhead 0%

Wow! Lots of upsets! #16 over #1, #12 over #5, and #11 over #6. This is shaping up to be a wild competition, for the first round anyway.

Given that only one of us voted for Mariah, the votes on the other sites/forums must be heavily in favour of Mariah ^^

Nassim

Given that only one of us voted for Mariah, the votes on the other sites/forums must be heavily in favour of Mariah ^^

Apparently they like Tesla and Bell Biv Devoe a lot as well.

A number of people that are in their mid 30's that grew up in the US listening to what was popular on MTV in the late 80's early 90's on the other formats. Chances are those artists will get a boost that perhaps wouldn't on the forum here.

I'm betting more of the Sufjan Stevens voters have heard Mariah Carey songs than the Mariah Carey votes who have heard Sufjan Stevens songs.