Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #2

Here are todays matchups; vote for the winners.

#1 (64) New Order vs. #16 (961) Concrete Blonde

New Order was one of the most critically acclaimed and influential bands of the 80's. Best known for 1983's "Blue Monday" along with "Bizarre Love Triangle", "True Faith" and 1993's "Regret".

Concrete Blonde is an American alternative band popular in the late 80's/early 90's best known for their one top 40 hit "Joey". Others include "Bloodletting", "God Is A Bullet" and "Ghost Of A Texas Ladies Man"

#8 (449) Carole King vs. #9 (576) Thomas Dolby

Carole King is a very successful songwriter who hit the big time as a singer with the 1971 album 'Tapestry'. Best known for "It's Too Late/I Feel The Earth Move", "So Far Away", "Jazzman" & "Sweet Seasons"

Thomas Dolby is a British New wave musician and producer best known for his major hit "She Blinded Me With Science" Minor hits include "Airhead", "Europa And The Pirate Twins" & "Hyperactive"

#5 (320) Dire Straits vs. #12 (705) Basement Jaxx

Dire Straits hit it big in 1985 with one defining line, I want my MTV on their hit "Money For Nothing". Other big hits in their collection, "Sultans Of Swing", "Walk Of Life" and "Lady Writer"

Basement Jaxx are a successful British House Music Duo best known for their hit "Where's Your Head At". Other in their repetoire include "Red Alert", "Romeo" & "Rendez-Vu" all top 10 hits in the UK and top 5 dance hits in the US.

#4 (193) Tina Turner vs. #13 (832) Merle Haggard

Tina is best known for long legs, being Ike's punching bag and "What's Love Got To Do With It". being part of a successful duo with her husband in the 60's and early 70's, she broke out on her own in the mid 80's with other hits including "Private Dancer", "We Don't Need Another Hero" and "Better Be Good To Me"

Merle Haggard, an Outlaw Country Legend. The voice behind the Dukes Of Hazzard. "Okie From Miskogee", "Mama Tried", "If We Make It Through December" and "The Theme From The Dukes Of Hazzard".

#3 (192) Beyonce vs #14 (833) Falco

Beyonce, one of the biggest pop stars on the planet, right now. "Crazy In Love", "Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It), "Irreplaceable" and "If I Were A Boy"

Oooh, Rock Me Amadeus... the lasting legacy of Austrian pop star, Falco. He Had other hits including "Der Kommisar", "Vienna Calling" and "Jeanny"

#6 (321) Kings Of Leon vs. #11 (704) House Of Pain

Kings Of Leon hit the big time in 2009 with their hits "Sex On Fire" and "Use Somebody". They are also known for "Mollys Chambers" and "The Bucket". They are one of the rare American acts that hit it big in the UK long before they did in the US.

"I'll serve your ass like John McEnroe, if your girl steps up I'm clocking the ##", one of the many lines that made House Of Pain a household name with 1992's "Jump Around". Could never come close to matching the success with minor hits like "Shamrocks And Shenanigans" or "On Point"

#7 (448) The Darkness vs #10 (577) The Decemberists

The first time I Saw this dude in a one piece Freddie Mercury suit screaming "I Believe In A Thing Called Love", I said WTF is that? Have to admit it was catchy back in 2003. Other hits via The Darkness include "Growing On Me", "One Way Ticket" and "Love Is Only A Feeling"

The Decemberists, a critically acclaimed American Indie Band best known for their hits "O Valencia" and "16 Military Wives".

#2 (65) Ricky Nelson vs. #15 (960) Irene Cara

In the late 50's/early 60's Ricky Nelson was a major pop star. Some of his major hits include "Stood Up", "Lonesome Town", "Travellin' Man" and "Young World"

Irene Cara was 80's major movie soundtrack gold with "Fame" and "Flashdance". That was it.

Re: ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #2

#1 (64) New Order
#8 (449) Carole King
#5 (320) Dire Straits
#4 (193) Tina Turner
#14 (833) Falco
#6 (321) Kings Of Leon
#10 (577) The Decemberists
#2 (65) Ricky Nelson

#1 New Order
#8 Carole King
#5 Dire Straits
#4 Tina Turner
#14 Falco
#6 Kings of Leon
#10 The Decemberists
#15 Irene Cara

Not a fan of Beyonce or Ricky Nelson.
# times I've listened to Rock Me Amadeus this year: 9.
# times I've listened to any Beyonce tune (voluntarily) this year: 0.
But I'm sure this isn't the first chance I'll get to vote against her.

Incidentally, for those of us stateside, the English version of "Der Kommisar", which you would swear was recorded by Falco, is actually by the group "After the Fire". Falco's original, in German, was a hit in Europe, but not across the pond.

New Order
Basement Jaxx
Beyonce
Kings of Leon (I hesitated on that one because some of KoL most recent songs are horrible, but House of Pain does not have any album that can compare with Youth and Young Manhood)
The Decemberists

Got a whole mess of upsets this time:

#1 New Order
#9 Thomas Dolby
#12 Basement Jaxx
#13 Merle Haggard
#3 Beyoncé
#11 House of Pain
#10 The Decemberists
#2 Ricky Nelson

Obviously, the Dolby vote is considering Carole King as a recording artist only, not as a songwriter.

Kings of Leon are a little too easy to disdain; they have obviously built up a reasonable pop resumé. But it still doesn’t stand up to “Jump Around.”

#5 (320) Dire Straits
#13 (832) Merle Haggard
#11 (704) House Of Pain

I wonder how many people in this thing will be voting against bands they've never heard anything from.

#1 (64) New Order
#8 (449) Carole King
#5 (320) Dire Straits
#13 (832) Merle Haggard
#14 (833) Falco - Jeanny is one of my guilty pleasures
#6 (321) Kings Of Leon
#15 (960) Irene Cara - Flashdance is another one

New Order
Carole King
Dire Straits
Merle Haggard
Beyonce
Kings of Leon
The Darkness
Ricky Nelson

#8 (449) Carole King
#5 (320) Dire Straits
#4 (193) Tina Turner
#14 (833) Falco
#2 (65) Ricky Nelson

#1 (64) New Order
#8 (449) Carole King
#5 (320) Dire Straits
#4 (193) Tina Turner
#3 (192) Beyonce
#6 (321) Kings Of Leon
#2 (65) Ricky Nelson

#1 New Order - No question. Love their stuff, and always hated "Joey."

#8 Carole King - I should get to know Dolby a little better, but Tapestry is a wonderful album... and I also was a fan of Really Rosie at age

#5 Dire Straits - Difficult call. I actually do enjoy Rooty a fair amount. In the end, I think Basement Jaxx music is a bit too harsh for my tastes at times. And while some of Dire Straits' music edges toward bland on occasion, they have put out enough very beautiful songs to get the nod.

#13 Merle Haggard - An even harder call here. My love for Mama Tried wins out.

#3 (192) Beyonce - Her ballads are overwrought and annoying, but her uptempo pop songs are a cut above most other pop singers. I've liked her ever since "No No No (Part 1)"

#11 House Of Pain - "Sex on Fire is an alright hit, but "Jump Around" is quite possibly the greatest party song of the 90's.

#10 The Decemberists - Absolutely no doubt. THere wasn't a single moment when I thought the Darkness were any good.

#2 Ricky Nelson - Lots of love for "Fame," but that's not enough.

#1 New Order

this one is a no brainer.

#8 Carole King

not as easy as the first one, but I only had to think about this one for two seconds at most.

#5 Basement Jaxx

this one was a bit tougher, but overall Basement Jaxx are the better band imo

#4 Tina Turner

I'm not such a huge fan of Tina, but she beats Merle Haggard.

#3 Beyonce

Beyonce's good pop songs and the incredible "Crazy In Love" help her win this one.

#6 Kings of Leon

This one was a bit tougher, but House of Pain only had one really good song, so Kings of Leon it is.

#7 The Darkness

This one was the closest call of them all, but I think I like The Darkness a tiny, tiny, tiny bit more.

#2 Ricky Nelson

Ricky Nelson is alright. Good enough to beat Irene Cara.

#1 (64) New Order
#8 (449) Carole King
#5 (320) Dire Straits
#4 (193) Tina Turner
#3 (192) Beyonce - can't really stand either of 'em,but someone has to win...
#6 (321) Kings Of Leon
#2 (65) Ricky Nelson

1. New Order
9. Thomas Dolby
12. Basement Jaxx
4. Tina Turner
14. Falco (ANYTHING over that dog-humping-your-leg pest named Beyonce!)
11. House of Pain
15. Irene Cara

i wish B would hump my leg...

RESULTS FROM BRACKET #2

New Order 95.2% / Concrete Blonde 4.8%
Carole King 71.4% / Thomas Dolby 28.5%
Dire Straits 78.2% / Basement Jaxx 23.8%
Tina Turner 67% / Merle Haggard 33%
Beyonce 52.3% / Falco 47.7%
Kings Of Leon 67% / House Of Pain 33%
The Decemberists 71.4% / The Darkness 28.5%
Ricky Nelson 80% / Irene Cara 20%

Slick
RESULTS FROM BRACKET #2

New Order 95.2% / Concrete Blonde 4.8%
Carole King 71.4% / Thomas Dolby 28.5%
Dire Straits 78.2% / Basement Jaxx 23.8%
Tina Turner 67% / Merle Haggard 33%
Beyonce 52.3% / Falco 47.7%
Kings Of Leon 67% / House Of Pain 33%
The Decemberists 71.4% / The Darkness 28.5%
Ricky Nelson 80% / Irene Cara 20%

Wow, go Falco!! Very close to pulling the upset! I wouldn't consider the Decemberists an upset...I'm really surprised The Darkness was rated high enough to get the 7 seed.

Hey Slick, how many people submitted at least a partial ballot?

Between this forum, my facebook page and a few people on e-mail I have about 25-35 people voting each day. I'm hoping to have this catch on double up getting a widespread perspective from a number of music fans.