Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Albums that will be added in the next site update

This is a preliminary list of albums from 2000-2008 that will be added in the next site update due to appearances in the critics' EOD lists. (Of course a lot of 2009 albums will be included as well.)

Note that this list does not by any means indicate that the next update is coming soon...

Akufen - My Way
Allien, Ellen - Berlinette
Animal Collective - Here Comes the Indian
Basinski, William - The Disintegration Loops
Black Dice - Beaches and Canyons
Black Keys, The - Rubber Factory
Blonde Redhead - Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons
Blonde Redhead - Misery is a Butterfly
Cardigans, The - Long Gone Before Daylight
Circulatory System - Circulatory System
Clipse - Lord Willin'
Cohen, Leonard - Ten New Songs
Converge - Jane Doe
Cure, The - Bloodflowers
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
Destiny's Child - Survivor
GAS - Pop
Hinson, Micah P. - Micah P. Hinson & The Gospel of Progress
Kings of Convenience - Riot on an Empty Street
Knife, The - Deep Cuts
Leo, Ted/Pharmacists - The Tyranny of Distance
Lil Wayne - Tha Carter II
Luomo - VocalCity
Max Tundra - Mastered by Guy at the Exchange
Metro Area - Metro Area
Microphones, The - Mount Eerie
Moran, Jason - Black Stars
Mountain Goats, The - Tallahassee
My Morning Jacket - At Dawn
Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
O'Rourke, Jim - Insignificance
Other People Place, The - Lifestyles of the Laptop Café
Pantha Du Prince - This Bliss
Plastikman - Closer
Quasimoto - The Unseen
Radio Dept. - Lesser Matters
Reflection Eternal - Train of Thought
Rhythm & Sound - W/ the Artists
Richter, Max - The Blue Notebooks
Rilo Kiley - The Execution of All Things
Saadiq, Raphael - The Way I See It
Scarface - The Fix
Schnauss, Ulrich - A Strangely Isolated Place
Slum Village - Fantastic Vol. 2
Spears, Britney - Blackout
Supergrass - Life on Other Planets
T.I. - Trap Muzik
Tegan and Sara - The Con
Tinariwen - The Radio Tisdas Sessions
Usher - Confessions
Villalobos, Ricardo - Alcachofa
Ween - White Pepper
Williams, Robbie - Sing When You're Winning
Yeasayer - All Hour Cymbals

Those albums were all listed in international lists. In addition, I will add a few albums that appeared in national lists. Possibly the following albums:

Finland
Liekki - Korppi
PMMP - Kovemmat Kädet

Norway
Nilsen, John Olav & Gjengen - For sant til a vaere godt

Spain
Astrud - Gran fuerza
Buena Vida, La - Hallelujah!
Chucho - Diarios de Petroleo
La Mala Rodríguez - Lujo ibérico
Nosoträsh - Popemas
Planetas, Los - Unidad de desplazamiento
Sr. Chinarro - El fuego amigo
Sr. Chinarro - El mundo segun
Vegas, Nacho - Actos inexplicables
Vegas, Nacho - Cajas de Musica Dificiles de Parar

Re: Albums that will be added in the next site update

And here are the songs from 2000-2007 that likely will be added.

Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
Andrew Bird - Fake Palindromes
Animal Collective - Grass
Animal Collective - Leaf House
Antony and the Johnsons - Cripple And The Starfish
Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
Arcade Fire - Wake Up
Arctic Monkeys - A Certain Romance
Beck - Lost Cause
Beirut - Postcards from Italy
Björk - New World
Boards of Canada - In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country
Bright Eyes - Lua
Bright Eyes - We Are Nowhere and It's Now
Broder Daniel - Shoreline
Broken Social Scene - Cause = Time
Bruce Springsteen - My City of Ruins
Bruce Springsteen - The Rising
Burial - Archangel
Cat Power - I Don't Blame You
Ciara feat. Ludacris - Oh
Coldplay - Fix You
Common - The Light
Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Damien Rice - The Blower’s Daughter
Dead Prez - Hip-Hop
Dntel feat. Ben Gibbard - (This Is) The Dream of Evan and Chan
Doves - Black and White Town
Fabolous - Breathe
Feist - Mushaboom
Ghostface Killah feat .Jadakiss - Run
Girls Aloud - Biology
Grizzly Bear - Knife
Håkan Hellström - Känn ingen sorg för mig Göteborg
Interpol - NYC
Interpol - Stella Was a Diver and She Was Always Down
Jay-Z - I Just Wanna Love U (Give It 2 Me)
Jay-Z - Takeover
Jens Lekman - Black Cab
Jens Lekman - Maple Leaves
Joanna Newsom - Peach, Plum, Pear
Johnny Boy - You Are the Generation That Bought More Shoes and You Get What You Deserve
Jóse González - Heartbeats
Kanye West - Diamond From Sierra Leone
Kanye West feat. Dwele - Flashing Lights
Kings Of Convenience - I’d Rather Dance With You
Ladytron - Destroy Everything You Touch
Laurent Garnier - Man With The Red Face
Les Savy Fav - The Sweat Descends
Los Campesinos! - You! Me! Dancing!
Ludacris - Southern Hospitality
Luomo - Tessio
M83 - Don't Save Us From the Flames
Mclusky - To Hell With Good Intentions
Metro Area - Miura
Michael Andrews - Mad World
Modest Mouse - 3rd Planet
Mogwai - 2 Rights Make 1 Wrong
Muse - Knights of Cydonia
Muse - Starlight
Nathan Fake - The Sky Was Pink
Of Montreal - Disconnect the Dots
Okkervil River - For Real
PJ Harvey - Good Fortune
Radiohead - How to Disappear Completely
Radiohead - Life in a Glasshouse
Radiohead - Reckoner
Ricardo Villalobos - Easy Lee
Rilo Kiley - Portions for Foxes
Shackleton - Blood on My Hands
Sigur Rós - Hoppípolla
Sigur Rós - Vaka (Untitled 1)
Smog - Dress Sexy at My Funeral
Spoon - Everything Hits at Once
Sufjan Stevens - Casimir Pulaski Day
Talib Kweli - Get By
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (Pt. 1)
The Hold Steady - Stuck Between Stations
The Killers - All These Things That I've Done
The Mountain Goats - No Children
The National - Mr. November
The Swell Season - Falling Slowly
The White Stripes - Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
The Wrens - She Sends Kisses
Wilco - Poor Places
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Y Control
Yeasayer - 2080

Thank you for this! Just to clarify, although it's probably obvious: these are albums and songs that will be added to the database as a whole (either in the top 3000 or Bubbling Under), correct?

Will you be posting a preliminary list of 2009 albums and songs that will be added as well?

Harold Wexler
Thank you for this! Just to clarify, although it's probably obvious: these are albums and songs that will be added to the database as a whole (either in the top 3000 or Bubbling Under), correct?

Will you be posting a preliminary list of 2009 albums and songs that will be added as well?
Yes, I have no idea yet which albums and songs that will make the top 3000. And yes, the 2009 albums will be posted later.

A quick question: I realize that NUMERICAL rank on the EOD spreadsheet probably has very little to do with an album making the cut for the database, but I was curious about M. Ward's THE TRANSFIGURATION OF VINCENT, the highest-ranked album on the spreadsheet (#299) not currently included on AM that was NOT included in your "to be added" post. An oversight, or are other factors involved? Again, just wondering.

Harold Wexler
A quick question: I realize that NUMERICAL rank on the EOD spreadsheet probably has very little to do with an album making the cut for the database, but I was curious about M. Ward's THE TRANSFIGURATION OF VINCENT, the highest-ranked album on the spreadsheet (#299) not currently included on AM that was NOT included in your "to be added" post. An oversight, or are other factors involved? Again, just wondering.
An oversight. Thanks for checking Harold, and please let me know if you find other strange omissions.

Henrik
An oversight. Thanks for checking Harold, and please let me know if you find other strange omissions.

Well, since you asked, here are the other albums in the EOD top 400 that fit the same criteria (after #400, the number of these albums increases exponentially):

Dear, Matthew - Asa Breed
Deerhoof - Reveille
Convextion - Convextion
Exploding Hearts - Guitar Romantic
Original Soundtrack, The - Once: Music from the Motion Picture
Young Jeezy - The Recession

I have a few questions: The top albums of the 2000s spreadsheet already includes EOY lists or Or an album that is inside the top 40 of the spreadsheet, might have an even higher ranking inside the top 40 of the decade the next update because it made inside many EOY lists and other lists before the spreadsheet?

Another doubts i have are like these two examples:

*Example A

Two albums: A and B

- A made a lot of EOY and other lists, and currently ranks inside the AM top 500 of all time. A has +80 points in the spreadsheet

- B also made a good number of EOY, though less than A, and is currently placed inside the top 500. It made an even bigger number of EOD (+160 points), bigger than A.

So B will certainly surpass A, or A made so many EOY that will basically still keep itself ahead of B?

*Example B:

Two Albums: C and D, both released in 2009

-C made the top 20 of 2009's EOY spreadsheet, but appeared in a good, though not great, number of EOD lists.

-D also made the top 20 of 2009's spreadsheet, but appeared less than C inside EOD lists.

Is there a good chance of C actually surpass D because of that inside 2009's top 50 albums next update?

Another one is: Will 2009 albums place relatively lower inside AM 3000 albums than albums of previous years in previous updates? And why it takes a good amount of time to update the site? (this last question was made by a friend of mine, that recently found out about this site and want to know this)

And the last one is: This same friend of mine said he bought a version of that book: 1001 albums to hear before You Die and his version includes albums like Joanna Newsom's Ys, and i made a research and the book has been re-issued to include albums released in 2008, too! So, why this "list" is absence of some of these albums AM page? It could actually help to improve some of them positions, cause it is an all time list.

Sorry if i have a lot of questions and doubts!

"Touch the Sky" by Kanye West should be in the mix as well.

HRS, that's an awful lot of questions!

Let me just say that the site update will combine the current site standings with the EOD lists in the spreadsheet. The EOD lists will have higher weights than the EOY lists, especially for albums from the beginning of the decade (since critics' lists become more definitive over time). For 2009 albums, the EOY and EOD lists will have the same weight.

Harold Wexler
Henrik

Well, since you asked, here are the other albums in the EOD top 400 that fit the same criteria (after #400, the number of these albums increases exponentially):

Dear, Matthew - Asa Breed
Deerhoof - Reveille
Convextion - Convextion
Exploding Hearts - Guitar Romantic
Original Soundtrack, The - Once: Music from the Motion Picture
Young Jeezy - The Recession
"Asa Breed" was also an oversight, while the others probably won't be included (although I personally really love "Once").

HRS
*Example B:

-C made the top 20 of 2009's EOY spreadsheet, but appeared in a good, though not great, number of EOD lists.

-D also made the top 20 of 2009's spreadsheet, but appeared less than C inside EOD lists.

Is there a good chance of C actually surpass D because of that inside 2009's top 50 albums next update?

Or: Why HOSPICE and ONLY BUILT 4 CUBAN LINX PT. II will end up outranking THE PAINS OF BEING PURE AT HEART and ALBUM on the AM top 3000.

The album that fascinates me most in this regard is BLUE RECORD by Baroness. Currently, it only ranks #81 on the EOY spreadsheet, with 19 points. BUT, its Metascore is an extremely high 87; it received 4.5 stars from AMG; and it's done quite well on EOD lists (#553) - far better than many other acclaimed 2009 albums. I think that it's going to make the top 3000 in the update. (An even more extreme case is Peter Doherty's GRACE/WASTELANDS: EOY #91, with 17 points, but EOD #385.)

And the last one is: This same friend of mine said he bought a version of that book: 1001 albums to hear before You Die and his version includes albums like Joanna Newsom's Ys, and i made a research and the book has been re-issued to include albums released in 2008, too! So, why this "list" is absence of some of these albums AM page? It could actually help to improve some of them positions, cause it is an all time list.

Thanks for the heads-up on this! It looks like a revised and updated version of the book just came out last week. Someone should go through it and tally up the new entries along with those eliminated, and I have the feeling that that someone's going to be me.

Chris
Was it included in any EOY 2005 lists? I don't think it should be included based on the two EOD lists alone.

I have to admit that I didn't keep track of the EOY 2005 lists properly. I just have a spreadsheet of some 80 songs and "Touch the Sky" is not one of them. I also checked that it wasn't in the Pazz&Jop top 40.

Harold Wexler
HRS
*Example B:

Or: Why HOSPICE and ONLY BUILT 4 CUBAN LINX PT. II will end up outranking THE PAINS OF BEING PURE AT HEART and ALBUM on the AM top 3000.

The album that fascinates me most in this regard is BLUE RECORD by Baroness. Currently, it only ranks #81 on the EOY spreadsheet, with 19 points. BUT, its Metascore is an extremely high 87; it received 4.5 stars from AMG; and it's done quite well on EOD lists (#553) - far better than many other acclaimed 2009 albums. I think that it's going to make the top 3000 in the update. (An even more extreme case is Peter Doherty's GRACE/WASTELANDS: EOY #91, with 17 points, but EOD #385.)

Thanks for the heads-up on this! It looks like a revised and updated version of the book just came out last week. Someone should go through it and tally up the new entries along with those eliminated, and I have the feeling that that someone's going to be me.

Thanks for answering my questions Harold!

My friend has the 2007 revised version of the book, it looks like it was revised once again! (will they keep updating every year?) I will try to find the most recent list online! And i'm glad that many 2009 albums might overtake other 2009 albums next update! Hospice deserved better than what received, too bad i only released that this year!

Although i also like the other two that will be overtaken! I just hope Bat For Lashes take some advantage of that! But, maybe she won't!

Henrik
Chris
Was it included in any EOY 2005 lists? I don't think it should be included based on the two EOD lists alone.

I have to admit that I didn't keep track of the EOY 2005 lists properly. I just have a spreadsheet of some 80 songs and "Touch the Sky" is not one of them. I also checked that it wasn't in the Pazz&Jop top 40.

If "I Just Wanna Love You" by Jay-Z is in the mix, then "Touch the Sky should also be included. I Just Wanna Love You only has 1 EoD. In addition, Touch the Sky is ranked higher in the EoD spreadsheet.

Chris
Henrik
Chris

If "I Just Wanna Love You" by Jay-Z is in the mix, then "Touch the Sky should also be included. I Just Wanna Love You only has 1 EoD. In addition, Touch the Sky is ranked higher in the EoD spreadsheet.
"I Just Wanna Love You" was also included in Blender's top 500 songs of the 80s-00s and a couple of EOY lists.

Henrik
Chris
Henrik
Chris

"I Just Wanna Love You" was also included in Blender's top 500 songs of the 80s-00s and a couple of EOY lists.

Interesting, I did not know that. I figured since there are 499 songs from 2000-2007 that are currently in the top 3000 or bubbling under, that any song in the top 500 of the EoD spreadsheet or top 50 of the 2008 or 2009 EoY sheets might be looked at as a possible candidate.

A few more songs that might be added because of Screenagers' EOD list.

Broken Social Scene - Almost Crimes
Junior Boys - Teach Me How to Fight
Kanye West - We Don't Care
Kylie Minogue - Love at First Sight

I really love No Children by the Mountain Goats but I only saw it on the Pitchfork 500 and Pitchfork best songs of the decade, so it seems strange to induct it only based on one website (no matter how incredible that song is)

Nassim
I really love No Children by the Mountain Goats but I only saw it on the Pitchfork 500 and Pitchfork best songs of the decade, so it seems strange to induct it only based on one website (no matter how incredible that song is)
It was also included in lists of 1000 songs from The Guardian and 1001 songs from Blender. Being a non-single track, it seems like it can do pretty well in the next update.

Sorry to be digging up a very dead thread, but I was looking for this list a few minutes ago, and I noticed that the only albums listed here are from 2000-2008 (because of EOD lists). Is there another thread somewhere that lists albums from before 2000 that will be included in the next site update?

Matt Schroeder
Sorry to be digging up a very dead thread, but I was looking for this list a few minutes ago, and I noticed that the only albums listed here are from 2000-2008 (because of EOD lists). Is there another thread somewhere that lists albums from before 2000 that will be included in the next site update?

I'm not sure that there are any - Henrik's already indicated that the next update will be albums-only, and that it will incorporate all the EOD and 2009 EOY lists but nothing else (at least that's the impression that I have).

He hasn't yet posted a list of albums from 2009 that will be added, but I presume that's forthcoming at some point prior to the update.