Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2010: Year of Pavement?

I know I'm an incorrigible fanboy, but I feel the media scrutiny heating up. Klosterman's got an article in GQ on them. Their greatest hits comp has just been released and is generating fresh and not so fresh tributes to their work. And the big reunion tour approaches.

What's to come of this? My guess is not too much. It will probably look a lot like the Pixies reunion from a few years back. A lot of love and excitement at the shows, no new recordings, and continued lack of attention to their solo work.

That said, anyone have tickets to see them this year? My homebound, daddy lifestyle foreclosed getting tickets to their NY shows. (Seriously: I haven't been to a non-kids band concert for over six years... how sad is that?)

Finally, anyone see what they or Matador did on their biography page? http://www.matadorrecords.com/pavement/biography.html Points to anyone who can figure it out within the first four paragraphs.

Re: 2010: Year of Pavement?

I love Pavement! To be honest, I don't really want them to release another album (if that's the direction they're going), I have the feeling it would be mediocre and tarnish a reputation of making smart, youthful music. For sure I'm going to see them live. I was lucky enough to see Pixies play Doolittle in its entirety in October and the first thing I thought of after the "honeymoon period" of the gig, was "man, if only Pavement would come back", and lo and behold tickets came up! They sold out in hours (damn touts) but i will buy a ticket at any cost.

Schwah

Finally, anyone see what they or Matador did on their biography page? http://www.matadorrecords.com/pavement/biography.html Points to anyone who can figure it out within the first four paragraphs.

Fucking brilliant!

I had a feeling they were mocking [youknowwho] and then as the blurb went on my suspicions were confirmed. Genuinely made me laugh so hard.

I figured it out when I saw the December 17th birth date and recognized who it belonged to (I know this because we share the date - though fortunately not the year). And of course the legendary tenure at Wuxtry is a dead giveaway.

Ddiamondd
Schwah

Fucking brilliant!

I had a feeling they were mocking [youknowwho] and then as the blurb went on my suspicions were confirmed. Genuinely made me laugh so hard.

For me, there were two specific words in the first paragraph that gave it away... That, and the suspiciously overinflated claims of the band's influence. Very, very funny stuff. Oh, those elegant bachelors.

Harold Wexler
For me, there were two specific words in the first paragraph that gave it away...

Let me guess: "mumbled" and "jangle." By the way, the original source material is allmusic.com, who I suspect may be more the target of the mockery.

Schwah
Let me guess: "mumbled" and "jangle."

I rarely say this, but:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

schleuse
I rarely say this, but:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Can someone explain it? I'm guessing Smashing Pumpkins, but I'd like to know what gives it away.

ChrisF
Can someone explain it? I'm guessing Smashing Pumpkins, but I'd like to know what gives it away.

It's R.E.M. They took the All Music Guide biography of the band and reproduced it verbatim except for swapping out their own album and song titles for R.E.M.'s (and, in the last couple of paragraphs, they didn't even do that - apparently, Pavement recorded albums entitled MONSTER and NEW ADVENTURES IN HI-FI, too).

Don't ask why they did this. I have a more important question: What about the voice of Geddy Lee? How did it get so high? Do you think that he speaks like an ordinary guy?