Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lady Gaga

Why does she get such a bad rap from classic rock fans? I mean,the music isn't terrible - but people call it crap. I don't understand how anyone who is interested at all in music can rubbish her stuff

Re: Lady Gaga

I don't think she's great, but she's definitely one of the best pop artists out right now. But, pop has been down for a few years now so the standards are low.

I think she'd be better if she lost the artificial weirdness. I mean you can tell she's not your normal pop star, but the theatrics are over the top and just meant to try to shock in a world where nothing's really shocking or at least nothing that she's trying to pull off.

As for the classic rock thing, I think that most people who don't like her aren't into modern pop music in the first place so they really have no business judging it. But, they will.

she's half good, half bad. but what pop star isn't? I love her hits, minus Telephone, which I think is stupid.

I am not a fan. She's just another crappy pop artist.
On a separate note, do you guys think she is a hermapherdite?

I became a large fan of her with the release of Bad Romance. I had certain hesitations based on the wide demographics of her fan base. I thought Poker Face was a great single and then Bad Romance hit me really hard. Like Poker Face it has a chorus that is large and inescapable. After some more listening I think they both are among the best pop songs of the decade. The Fame was wildly uneven with The Fame Monster being better. Just like most pop stars most of the goods come from her singles and I think Just Dance is her only weak one.

I had certain hesitations based on the wide demographics of her fan base

You mean gay men don't you ? We don't all have terrible taste in music. But I won't dare criticize her or I will lose just about every friend I've ever met or at least gay friends. So I guess I've learned to like her or maybe tolerate her but she overdoes it. Madonna, Bjork, Cher, Goldfrapp even Bowie and Elton John...they wear tshirts and jeans when they're not performing and than they go all out during shows. With her she always tries to upstage herself and anyone who tries to make a statement through fashion and it's really about the music. I think that's how Genesis felt when Peter Gabriel would come out in the most bizarre outfits when they used to play together. He is a true artist and visionary though. At least Gaga doesn't overuse the vocoder. That might be why I like her. It's so rare to hear pop musicians actually sing nowadays.

I think she's made some great singles. Poker Face is probably in my top 100 for the decade, and a couple of her other songs are probably top 200. But I also think she sings syllables (there must be a better way to describe it) too much - i.e. da, do, ra, etc.

Is that anything like that annoying Ting Tings songs
"The drums,the drums" and than it goes something like "E-E-E-E" and they keep stretching out the vowels?

I meant all the females who listened to her that I knew and yeah the fact that she was huge in the gay community didn't help either.

She's fine. She has strong singles. The Fame was an okay album, but The Fame Monster was a great mainstream pop album. Although her music isn't always as interesting as her image, her latest album was solid, a step forward. But i also think she is pretentious, calling her songs "art" and groundbreaking, when they're, so far, not. I think her music videos are great, and they actually make her songs better, although sometimes she tries too hard to shock us (see Just Dance and Beautiful, Dirty & Rich). She still hasn't delivered a pop masterpiece like: Annie's Anniemal, Robyn's Robyn; or a terrific pop album from start to finish like: Roisin Murphy's Overpowered, Annie's Don't Stop or any album Goldfrapp released to date. But, it's not because of that that it means she's bad or something. She has an image that differs her from others, she just need the songs.

She's okay, but she needs to try it without the auto-tuner. I definitely prefer her to other pop stars who sound similar.