The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Demographic thread

Location : Isles-les-Villenoy (a quiet village near Paris, France)
No wife, no children
Work : Accountant at the SACEM, the french society of authors and composers rights (the french equivalent to ASCAP in the USA, MCPS in Great Britain, GEMA in Germany, SGAE in Spain,...)
I became a regular visitor of Acclaimed Music site around 2003, being a fan of music lists since more than 10 years (before being an AM site fan, I visited a lot the Jumping Fences site and the Julian White rocklist site).
I have no musical talent, I just love music, especially power-pop, pure-pop or melodic-rock (call it as you want).
As a music lover, I'm an "old school" guy : I'm not really into MP3 and all these kind of modern things. I love records as a physical object, I love vynil records. For me, a record is an artistic whole : the cover, the object and the music inside.
I'm a huge record consumer, I purchase from 10 to 15 cds or vynils each month.
Other interests : I play tennis and I love hiking in the mountains :)

Name: Klaus-Peter (Charlie Driggs refers to the main character in Jonathan Demmes eighties film "Something Wild")
Musical experience: School choir, karaoke expert for Juliane Werdings "Am Tag als Conny Kramer starb", the German version of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down"

Hello!

I'm Fredrik from Stockholm, Sweden, 42 years old. For the last five years I've been studying to become a psychologist. I graduated in january. My final exam (paper, thesis) was about emotional (what else) experiences from listening to music, accidentally rock music. My musical journey reminds of the inner journey you might undertake during a psychotherapy.

Somehow I like music that doesn't sound like anything else. Steely Dan, Pixies and Llaura Nyro etc.

Other interrests are NHL hockey (good things are happening in Colorado) and chess.

See you around!

Name: Same as my forum name. I'm not big on "usernames" (to me it's just a way to hide online).

Musical talent: Guitar, since high school. I've always wanted to play piano but I've got clumsy hands.

Personal life: I'm studying psychology at UC San Francisco but I really don't know what to do with myself. My main goal is to make it in the music world (or some type of art; I make amateur films too), but all of my ideas are just that, ideas. I don't have the funds to turn them into anything more. So... student life it is, then maybe just an office job.

I'm Listyguy (most of you know me already). I'm 14, I live near the Big Apple, I Play guitar in a band and play the baritone horn. I also have experince bloggin on rolling stone.

My name is Blair Rose which resulted in me using this unoriginal username.
I am 20 years old and in university in Waterloo, Canada studying math.
I am severely lacking in musical talent.

Brose
My name is Blair Rose which resulted in me using this unoriginal username.
I am 20 years old and in university in Waterloo, Canada studying math.
I am severely lacking in musical talent.

Good to see you, Blair. Nice to see a fellow mathematician, though I finished undergrad in '95, so I'm a bit older. Waterloo was very good on the Putnam exam, as I recall.

Any other mathematicians out there?

Name: John
Schooling and occupation: Political Science and Radio Broadcasting degrees currently being put to great use as a telephone operator.
Interests: Sports and fantasy sports... I've played in fantasy sports leagues for almost 20 years now and baseball is my expertise, technology and finding low budget ways to making my music and movies look and sound better. Tinkering I guess whether that be picking up speakers at a garage sale, buying headphones, adjusting TV settings or just moving stuff around the room. My wife thinks I'm insane but I think it's kind of fun.
Musical talent: I like to play guitar but I've never taught myself anything more than how to play most any song with chords and different variations. I never really had the desire to learn scales or anything. I made a cd about 10 years ago that I still keep around but all of the songs I wrote were played at least a key too high. But, I;m glad I recorded it because I lost a folder years ago with all of the songs I've ever written and I don't remember hardly any of them. My mom told me when I was a kid that I would regret quitting piano lessons and she was right.

Name : Domingo
Location : Nijmegen, The Netherlands (Always funny to see Americans just put the abbreviations of their states and assume everybody around the world will know them.)
Musical talents : None, unfortunately.
Other : I am a student, doing a masters of Politics & Parliament. Except for lurking, I'm new here.

Gillingham
Location : Nijmegen, The Netherlands (Always funny to see Americans just put the abbreviations of their states and assume everybody around the world will know them.)

Hehe...yeah, I did that. I'm in Huntsville, Alabama, US.

Welcome, Domingo!

Name: Daniel

Location: Been living in London for the last ten years but grew up in Cape Town

Musical talents: Play the piano

Why this site?: Been visiting the AM site and forum regularly for the last 7 years but only post once in a while. Should really start participating in more polls. Like how people can voice their opinions in the forum without being wankers about it. And I know it sounds cheesy, but I'm grateful for all the excellent music I have discovered through this site.

Wow, there's a surprising amount of politic students/graduates here/any kinda social science. I would bet that most of us are left on the politics scale, though I won't speculate why...

Zorg
I would bet that most of us are left on the politics scale, though I won't speculate why...

mmmm... my mom accidently happened to parent ulrike meinhof's children in her kindergarten days.. but then again

lots of weez are cool with Frasier Crane..

Larry
Gillingham

Hehe...yeah, I did that. I'm in Huntsville, Alabama, US.

Welcome, Domingo!

Thanks

I put the abbreviation for my state too. I'm from Athens, Georgia, USA, which is a pretty normal middle-sized American college town with one exception: it has a randomly incredible music scene. R.E.M., Neutral Milk Hotel, The B-52's, Of Montreal and others all hail from Athens, making it one of the best American cities in terms of music per capita.

and you forgot about the Drive-by Truckers, the best traditional rock group alive

nicolas
and you forgot about the Drive-by Truckers, the best traditional rock group alive
And Cat Power!