[27] Prince – When Doves Cry

“Animals strike curious poses”

[1984] Purple Rain
[3916.9 Points, 17 Votes, 230 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 52
2008: 49 (+22)
AM 3000: 44
Fans: BillAdama (11), Toni (14), Larry (15), Stone (24), Nick (27), Rob (35), Sven(41)

Comment: “‘When Doves Cry"’ marked Prince's first number one hit in the summer of 1984, and it stayed on top for five consecutive weeks, selling over two million copies as a single. Its parent album, the soundtrack to the movie Purple Rain also hit the number one spot, although its stay was a little longer, remaining there for 20 weeks while notching four other Top 20 singles. It's not difficult to see why "When Doves Cry" peaked so high. The song's solid combination of a lenient yet steady dancefloor rhythm and a smattering of pop/rock grandiosity is both attractive and savvy, not to mention a tad sexy, which is one trademark that followed Prince throughout his career. When all the elements are put together — the perky keyboard dabs, the motor-revved guitar riffs, and the uniform drum beats — the result is a single that is well worth its number one status.” –AllMusic

[26] Marvin Gaye – I Heard It Through the Grapevine

“Between the two of us guys you know I love you more”

[1968] I Heard It Through the Grapevine

[3940.2 Points, 17 Votes, 231 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 106
2008: 74 (+48)
AM 3000: 8

Fans: 42david42 (2), Nicolas (6), Brose (9), VanillaFire1000 (15), Nick (34), Stone(41), Michel (42)

Comment: “Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" is Motown's greatest record -- really, what's better? Even obscured by years of oldies radio overkil and Big Chill nostalgia it retains a hypnotic power unmatched by any of the label's other classics, articulating the turmoil and anguish of a soul torn apart at the seams with a clarity unmatched in the annals of popular music. On its surface a desperate plea to salvage a relationship gone terribly wrong, "Grapevine" progressively probes much deeper to convey complete emotional free-fall: haunted by lies, taunted by gossip and shattered by loss, Gaye's torment is palpable, and his performance -- the signature sophistication and elegance of his voice ravaged by fear and doubt -- is devastating.” –AllMusic

“I agree with AllMusic on this one—this really is Motown’s best. Comparing the song with its many cover versions can tell you why. No one can sing this song like Marvin who delivers every line with appropriate emotion without oversinging." -Jackson

Re: AMF All-Time Songs Poll: Results Part 2

Henry
Fred

My read is that you tend favor songs that are more obscure (hidden gems). This seems fairly typical for AMers as far as I can tell. In you list, it appears to me that Neil Young is an exception in that the songs you favor of his are some of most well-known and accessible. Please let me know if my read is way off the mark; and if so, how.

Hmm, had to analyze this:

Neil Young seem to be one artist where I like the most wellknown songs and where i don't find too many gems any longer. Same with Bob Dylan. Another point is that I'm 40 years old and have been listening to rock for at least 25 years. So I've become tired of some artists and songs but maybe found the expression I like in a rock song. I have nothing to say against "Life On Mars" etc, but it doesn't do anything for me now.

Since I wrote my final thesis about rock, lately, I might reveal that my findings are about wanting to be able to foresee (and not be to far away from the refrain or hook) the music in question OR to feel an anticipated end and wanting some variations on a (anticipated) theme. Collectors or hunters! Both liking the chase but in different ways...

Examples of the first is "Losing My Religion" or "She's Lost Control" and the latter anything by Bowie: Starman, Changes or Life On Mars.

I also believe that you are a "verse" or "refrain" type of listener. I may be the former and thus look for the "logic" build of a song through verses. That's why i love "Song For Bob Dylan" etc.

Of the 56 songs above I think they can be divided into classic songs, songs that are widely acclaimed as some of the best by the artist and more "hidden gems".

The classics:

Starman
After The Goldrush
Rockin' In The Free World
Down By The River
Like A Rolling Stone
Desolation Row
Tangled Up In Blue
A Day in The Life
Free Man In Paris
My Old Man
Suzanne
Northern Sky
The Mercy Seat
Higher Than The Sun
Sea Song
The Seventh Seal
Fisherman's Blues
Sister Ray
Diamonds And Rust

The ones with perceived "widely" acclaim (if you listened to the artist in question), even if some song divides the listeners into two groups or more:

Station To Station
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
You Never Give Me Your Money
Someday We'll All Be Free
A Song For You
Alameda
The Moon's A Harsh Mistress
Sisters Of Mercy
Tower Of Song
Song Of Joy
Frederick
Ask The Angels
Movin' On Up
Red Army Blues
Rock & Roll

The Hidden "Gems": (here I feel that I have some suggestions for what should be more acclaimed songs). One song that puzzles me is "Hazey Jane II". I NEVER tire of it! Songs with ! after it, you should listen to.

Sons Of The Silent Age
Wild Is The Wind
Philadelphia
Changing Of The Guard !
Hazey Jane II
Jangling Jack
Ain't It Strange !
Velocity Girl
Son Of Sam I Am
Little Red Riding Hood Hit The Road !
The Amorous Humphrey Plugg
Rhymes Of Goodbye
My Love Is My Rock In The Weary Land !
I Heard Her Call My Name

Songs for which I don't expect any acclaim whatsoever :)

A Man Neds A Maid
I Love The Lord,He Heard My Cry 1&2
Song For Bob Dylan
James And The Gang
Chinese Cafe
Three Hours
Memory Lane
Memories of You

So, on the whole I feel you are right. Listening to my "gems" may prove in what degree! Have to say that on my first job as a 20 year old I worked quickly for 6 hours and put in two hours of compiling lists (when I was finally alone) with what may now be described as "classic rock" etc. Whitney Houston was a real important figure for a little while :)

John
Artists that dominated my list (5 or more):

Elliott Smith: Rose Parade, Angeles, Needle In The Hay, Clementine, Coming Up Roses, Good To Go, Tomorrow Tomorrow, Waltz #2, Independence Day

Guided By Voices: My Kind of Soldier, The Best of Jill Hives, Things I Will Keep, Hold On Hope, I Am A Tree, Bulldog Skin

Radiohead: The National Anthem, Paranoid Android, Exit Music (For a Film), Let Down, Karma Police, No Surprises, Lucky, Fake Plastic Trees, Black Star
John

Good (matches mine) choices for Elliott Smith songs

Interresting choices of GBV songs

EXACTLY my Radiohead favs

When it comes to Beatles I see you are a fan of earlier Beatles. Wisely invest in "Abbey Road" and your future in rock lists will be bright! :)

Jackson

My first idol. "1999" (song) changed life in 1982.

I applied for a jobb when "Lovesexy" came. i bought it the day before an interview. I skipped a train to listen to the album one more time, then had the wrong address, ran 2 kilometers in a wool sweater and jacket, was 25 minutes late and started to sweat during the interview...no, I didn't get the job.

PS. Even the Batman soundtrack was great!

WOW!!!

Thanks for the exceptionally thoughtful response!!!

Songs for which I don't expect any acclaim whatsoever :)

A Man Needs A Maid

I thoroughly enjoy this song as well, regardless of whether it ever gets any acclaim.

Artists with the most songs in my top 500 song list

The Beatles- 25
The Rolling Stones- 12
David Bowie- 8
Bob Dylan- 8
The Clash- 7
Elvis Presley- 7
U2- 7
Prince- 6
Madonna- 6
Radiohead- 5
The Beach Boys- 5
The Who- 5
The Smiths- 5
Led Zeppelin- 5
Oasis- 5
The Kinks- 5
Blur- 4
LCD Soundsystem- 4
R.E.M.- 4
Johnny Cash- 4
Bruce Springsteen- 4
New Order- 4
Marvin Gaye- 4
Pink Floyd- 4
James Brown- 4
Jimi Hendrix- 4

Looks like The Beatles dominated my list

Nick

I wonder if I'm the only one who hardly had the Beatles at all in my list. I think I only had 'A Day In The Life' in the top 200...

Fred

When it comes to Beatles I see you are a fan of earlier Beatles. Wisely invest in "Abbey Road" and your future in rock lists will be bright! :)

I have five different copies of it... Ebbetts, MFSL, vinyl, CD, 2009 remaster. It's a top 20 album as a whole but none of the songs stand out as top 500 of all time. Side B is meant to be listened to as whole, and listing Abbey Road Medley as a song is cheating!

[25] The Rolling Stones – (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction

“He’s telling me more and more about some useless information”

[1965] Out of Our Heads
[3954.2 Points, 14 Votes, 282 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 31
2008: 52 (+27)
AM 3000: 2
Fans: Leonardo (2), Rob (2), Nick (12), Stone (14), Henry (16), Stephan (18)

Comment: “‘(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction’ is the signature Rolling Stones song: a pounding rocker with sneering vocals and lyrics, with a blues and soul base that nonetheless is used for a guitar-based song that is definitely rock, not blues or R&B. It was also one of the defining records of the its era, reaching number one around the globe and establishing the Rolling Stones as the second-biggest band in the world, behind only the Beatles. As with many Rolling Stones songs, the key hook is the guitar riff: a fuzz-toned, insistent series of ascending and descending notes that rates among the most captivating and memorable riffs in rock history. Set against a beat suitable for foot-stomping and hand-clapping, Mick Jagger delivers the verses in a hushed, ambiguous tone that hovers between commentary and sarcastic nastiness.” –AllMusic

[24] The Beatles – Hey Jude

“Remember to let her into your heart”

[1968] Single
[3965.0 Points, 11 Votes, 360 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 179
2008: 274 (+250)
AM 3000: 35
Fans: Oscar (1), Rob (1), Daniel (4), Leonardo (6), Stone (8), Nick (17) Henry (21), Brose (21)

Comment: With their 1968 number one single "Hey Jude," the Beatles managed to cover several bases at once. It was one of their most memorable, classic, romantic songs, and it was simultaneously quite commercial and structurally daring, even barrier-breaking. The barrier being broken was that which limited pop singles to about two or three minutes in length, and certainly never more than five; "Hey Jude" went on for just over seven minutes…What could have been just another great Beatles ballad became something quite extraordinary at the end of the last verse when the vocals unpredictably repeat the last word over and over again in ascending notes, ending in a full-out jubilant scream. That's the signal for the most elongated Beatles fadeout ever, lasting about four minutes, consisting solely of repeated harmonized "nah nah nah" refrains. What could have very easily been boring is instead hypnotic.” –AllMusic

[23] The Beatles – Let It Be

“I wake up to the sound of music, Mother Mary comes to me”
[1970] Let It Be
[4136.8 Points, 15 Votes, 275 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 386
2008: N/A
AM 3000: 39
Fans: 42david42 (1), Daniel (5), Oscar (6), DepecheMode (8), Henry (8), Brose (27), Rob (46), VanillaFire1000 (47)

Comment: "Let It Be," a number one single in early is one of the Beatles' most popular and finest ballads…Like "Yesterday," "Let It Be" was solely the work of Paul McCartney and rather by accident came to serve as the group's epitaph in song. The song is based around classically melodic, descending piano chords, whose understated grace give the performance a spiritual quality somewhat in the manner of a previous Beatles classic ballad based around the piano, "Hey Jude." The song is one of consolation, both to himself and his audience, urging optimism in times of darkness and reassuring that things will turn out well in spite of the troubles to be weathered…The "Let It Be" single reached number one the very week that the Beatles broke up in April 1970.” –AllMusic

Henry
Top 20 could include some of the following (no order intended or implied)
Henry's Rating/Performer/Title/AM Rating

1 Led Zeppelin Stairway To Heaven 10
2 Hendrix, Jimi All Along The Watchtower 84
4 Springsteen, Bruce Born To Run 26
17 Beach Boys Good Vibrations 3
29 Clash London Calling 30
43 Pulp Common People 50
54 Joy Division Love Will Tear Us Apart 16
65 Gaye, Marvin What's Going On 19
81 Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter 130
94 Beach Boys God Only Knows 51
114 Nirvana Smells Like Teen Spirit 4
113 Dylan, Bob Like A Rolling Stone 1
116 Beatles A Day In The Life 20
117 Redding, Otis (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay 7
124 Jackson, Michael Billie Jean 29
202 OutKast Hey Ya 52
254 Rolling Stones Honky Tonk Women 122
258 Radiohead Paranoid Android 305
444 Smiths There is a Light that Never Goes Out 179 1986
602 LCD Soundsystem All My Friends 198
1931 Fatboy Slim The Rockafeller Skank 157

Most Entries in my top 500

1. The Beatles: 77
2. The Beach Boys: 19
3. The Rolling Stones: 18
4. The Who: 16
5. Bob Dylan: 15
6. Prince: 13
7. Stevie Wonder: 12
8. Sly and the Family Stone: 9
9. Elvis Costello; Marvin Gaye; Otis Redding; The Temptations: 7
13. Aretha Franklin; Al Green: 6
15. Sam Cooke; Jimi Hendrix; John Lennon; Little Richard; Madonna; Paul McCartney; Pet Shop Boys: 5
22. The Band, Michael Jackson, Elton John, Van Morrison, Elvis Presley, Radiohead, R.E.M., Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Paul Simon, The Supremes, U2, The Zombies: 4

Georges Brassens and Jacques Brel were among the most popular singer-songwriters in France in the 50's ans 60's. Brassens was from the South of france while Brel was from Belgium.
They came from the cabaret circuit of the 50's which in many ways resembled the Greenwich Village cafes where Dylan and other folksingers started their career.

Most entries in my top 500

Beatles 26
Todd Rundgren 22
Stevie Wonder 16
Steely Dan 15
Who 11
Rolling Stones 10
Pink Floyd 8
Joe Jackson 8
Jimi Hendrix 8
Eagles 8
Led Zeppelin 6
Marvin Gaye 6
Bob Dylan 6
Beach Boys 6
Yes 5
Style Council 5
Radiohead 5
Lynyrd Skynyrd 5
Elton John 5
Allman Brothers Band 5
Third Eye Blind 4
Cat Stevens 4
Simon & Garfunkel 4
Joe Satriani 4
Santana 4
Red Hot Chili Peppers 4
Linkin Park 4
Billy Joel 4
Coldplay 4
Chicago 4
Young, Neil 3
Utopia 3
Supremes 3
Smiths 3
Smashing Pumpkins 3
Return to Forever 3
Prince 3
Elvis Presley 3
John Mayer 3
Bob Marley 3
Genesis 3
Fleetwood Mac 3
David Bowie 3
Bad Company 3

Midaso
Nick

I wonder if I'm the only one who hardly had the Beatles at all in my list. I think I only had 'A Day In The Life' in the top 200...

That'd be a no. The only list where I would list Beatles songs would be my LEAST favorite songs.

Artist Stats for my Top 500:

Prince: 90
The Cure: 29
Eurythmics: 26
Madonna: 26
David Bowie: 23
Kylie Minogue: 18
Janet Jackson: 17
Björk: 15
Annie: 12
Blondie: 10
Depeche Mode: 10
New Order: 9
Michael Jackson: 8
Siouxsie and the Banshees: 7
Aaliyah: 6
Kim Wilde: 6
LCD Soundsystem: 6
Roxy Music: 6
The Smiths: 6
Stevie Wonder: 6
Annie Lennox: 5
Arcade Fire: 5
Grace Jones: 5

Midaso
Nick

I didn't have any beatles in my list, though i only submitted a top 50. in part it's because i think they're extremely overrated and it's also because they don't need any more help anyways. that said, i think by FAR their best song is "Tomorrow Never Knows" followed by "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "I am the Walrus." For me, "A Day in the Life" is good but not nearly as good as a lot of other people think.

Superstition is a great song, but I still think "You Haven't Done Nothing" is Stevie Wonder's masterpiece. It has that great propulsive, pulsing rhythm, the fantastic horn line that follows the last line of the chorus when Stevie sings "you haven't done nothing", and fine backup singing by the Jackson Five. And then there are the great lyrics and Stevie's pissed off delivery about about, apparently, Richard Nixon, but more broadly about political apathy. As a song of sneering contempt, it is matched only by Dylan's Idiot Wind and about half of Elvis Costello's This Year's Model.

Jackson

[1984] Purple Rain
[3916.9 Points, 17 Votes, 230 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 52
2008: 49 (+22)
AM 3000: 44
Fans: BillAdama (11), Toni (14), Larry (15), Stone (24), Nick (27), Rob (35), Sven(41)

Comment: “‘When Doves Cry"’ marked Prince's first number one hit in the summer of 1984, and it stayed on top for five consecutive weeks, selling over two million copies as a single. Its parent album, the soundtrack to the movie Purple Rain also hit the number one spot, although its stay was a little longer, remaining there for 20 weeks while notching four other Top 20 singles. It's not difficult to see why "When Doves Cry" peaked so high. The song's solid combination of a lenient yet steady dancefloor rhythm and a smattering of pop/rock grandiosity is both attractive and savvy, not to mention a tad sexy, which is one trademark that followed Prince throughout his career. When all the elements are put together — the perky keyboard dabs, the motor-revved guitar riffs, and the uniform drum beats — the result is a single that is well worth its number one status.” –AllMusic

June 10, 1984. That was the first day I heard "When Doves Cry". It was also the first day I realized music could be awesome.

My stats are a little skewed, since I only submitted 323 songs by the deadline. I have 61 artists with multiple songs, and a total of 217 distinct artists.

Billy Joel 7
Geoff Moore & the Distance 7
Amy Grant 5
Barenaked Ladies 5
Elvis Presley 4
Newsboys 4
Prince 4
The Bangles 4
ABBA 3
The Beatles 3
Bob Marley & the Wailers 3
Bon Jovi 3
Bryan Adams 3
Cyndi Lauper 3
dc talk 3
Heart 3
Jars of Clay 3
Jewel 3
John [Cougar] Mellencamp 3
Madonna 3
Michelle Branch 3
R.E.M. 3
Reo Speedwagon 3
Rich Mullins 3
Switchfoot 3
Aerosmith 2
Barlow Girl 2
Celine Dion 2
The Corrs 2
Duran Duran 2
Erasure 2
Eric Clapton 2
Eurythmics 2
Goo Goo Dolls 2
Gordon Light foot 2
Guns N' Roses 2
Heather Miller 2
Howard Jones 2
Huey Lewis and the News 2
Journey 2
Kenny Loggins 2
Led Zeppelin 2
Men At Work 2
Moby 2
Pat Benatar 2
Peter Gabriel 2
Petra 2
Phil Collins 2
Rick Springfield 2
The Righteous Brothers 2
Rusted Root 2
Samuel E. Wright 2
Sarah Masen 2
Scandal 2
Simon and Garfunkel 2
Simple Minds 2
Susan Ashton 2
They Might Be Giants 2
Third Day 2
Toby Mac 2
U2 2

So far on this list the biggest revelations to me are Judee Sill "The Kiss" and Stevie Wonder "Missta Know it All". The former is something I had never heard before, the latter is buried at the end of an album that I've never liked all that much so I don't know if I've ever listened to it, or at the very least I've never listened closely. But, I am going to have to revisit Innervisions.

John
So far on this list the biggest revelations to me are Judee Sill "The Kiss" and Stevie Wonder "Missta Know it All". The former is something I had never heard before, the latter is buried at the end of an album that I've never liked all that much so I don't know if I've ever listened to it, or at the very least I've never listened closely. But, I am going to have to revisit Innervisions.

I think it would be a fun post-mortem for everyone to post their "revelations", as well as songs/artists from their own lists that didn't make the top 1000, but that they would recommend to the forum.

There are a lot of songs showing up that I forgot to put on my list. "The Kiss" is one of them -- just one of the most sheerly beautiful songs ever recorded. For me, it evokes the gorgeous ethereal melodies, rich harmonies and vaguely haunting production of great Beach Boys songs like God Only Knows and You Still Believe in Me. These are songs that seem to be channelling a mode of expression and musical artistry that is beyond the merely human.

Nice list!

Some favorite songs (in no particular order):

"We gotta get out of this place" - The Animals
"Don't let me be misunderstood" - The Animals
"London Calling" - The Clash
"Blue sky mine" - Midnight Oil
"I wanna be sedated" - Ramones
"Hurricane" - Bob Dylan
"Sultans of swing" - Dire Straits
"I don't like mondays" - The Boomtown Rats
"Town called malice" - The Jam
"Hair" - OST
"Have you ever seen the rain?" - CCR
"She's a rainbow" - The Rolling Stones
"Eleanor Rigby" - The Beatles
"Minnie the Moocher" - Cab Calloway
"It's the end of the world as we know it" - R.E.M.
"The river" - Bruce Springsteen
"Tell Laura I love her" - Ray Peterson
"Johnny B. Goode" - Chuck Berry
"Fire" - Jimi Hedrix
"All along the watchtower" - Jimi Hendrix
"Redemption song" - Bob Marley
"It's oh so quiet" - Bjork
"Hallelujah" - Jeff Buckley
"Don't look back in anger" - Oasis
"Son of a preacher man" - Dusty Springfield
"Me and Bobby McGee" - Janis Joplin
"If you tolerate this" - Manic Street Preachers
"Wonderful world" - Black
"Eternal flame" - The Bangles
"The sound of silence" - Simon & Garfunkel
"Perfect day" - Lou Reed
"Sweet Jane" - The Velvet Underground

Greetings from Spain.

[22] Otis Redding – (Sittin’ On) The Dock of the Bay

“So I guess I’ll remain the same”

[1968] The Dock of the Bay
[4235.5 Points, 21 Votes, 201 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 138
2008: 18 (-4)
AM 3000: 7
Fans: Nicolas (3), Stone (5), Honorio(18), Brose (31), Jackson (33), Daniel (38) Nick (39)

Comment: “Otis Redding's only record that went to the top of both the pop and R&B charts was, sadly, only realized after his untimely passing. The song itself gave birth after Redding's breakout at the gave birth after Redding's breakout at the Monterey International Pop Festival. After the performance, Redding took a well-deserved break and laid low in a houseboat that he rented on the Monterey Peninsula. The song's easy groove and calm feel no doubt reflected Redding's state of mind at the time. It's an odd combination of folk, soul, and country, but it works like a charm. Lyrically, the pain of artistry and the rigors of the entertainment industry were wearing on him, and it's to his credit that he was able to convey this so poetically.” --AllMusic

“This is such an obvious masterpiece of mood and vocal performance, there’s really nothing creative I can say in praise of it. What I do find interesting is that it’s not more often regarded as a sad song, given its tragic context and the loneliness of its lyrics.” --Jackson

[21] OutKast – Hey Ya!

“What’s cooler than being cool?”

[2003] Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
[4283.2 Points, 22 Votes, 194 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 63
2008: 33 (+12)
AM 3000: 52
Fans: Brose (1), Ajackson (6), BeefSupreme (6), Nick (45), CharlieDriggs(46)

Comment: “What's cooler than being cool? How about ebullient songs about life-cracking misery? Those are pretty cool. How about lyrics so sharp that nearly every line in them becomes a catchphrase? And hard funk grooves in weird power- pop time signatures? Those are cool also. Actually, you know what was really cool? You remember the moment in the fall of 2003 when "Hey Ya!" came out and it sounded like André 3000 had cracked the code and made a record that sounded like everything on the radio and nothing anyone had heard before, and it seemed like the walls between rock and R&B and hip-hop were about to topple and from then on there would just be this enormous pool of popular music that everyone could swim around in?" -Pitchfork

2 brilliant songs, (which I forgot about), especially that Outkast one. I remember being derided for liking this song when it first came out. Now all those people are singing "shake it like a polaroid picture!". It's incredible that you don't have to be a hiphopper, or a rocker or whatever else to love this song. It genuinely transcends generations, genres and styles. I'm liking the slow turnaround of results, hoping A Day In The Life will finally be toppled.

John

YES! Both of those are fantastic songs. And please do revisit Innervisions. Side 2 trounces Side 1 IMO, even though "Living for the City" is on Side 1 and is in my all-time Top 20. GREAT album.

And "The Kiss" is utterly perfect.

I'll revisit it to see if I've missed anything else but I really don't like Too High, Higher Ground or Don't You Worry About a Thing. So, as an album I don't think I'll have much of a different opinion since that's almost half of the songs but maybe I missed another song.

[20] Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven

“It really makes me wonder”

[1971] Led Zeppelin IV
[4429.5 Points, 18 Votes, 246 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 54
2008: 25 (+5)
AM 3000: 10
Fans: Todd (1), Henry (1) Leonardo (9), BillAdama (12), Nick (19), Guy(32)

Comment: “As long as there are middle schoolers discovering rock music as long as there are beginning guitarists needing to find an introductory solo to play, and as long as classic rock radio stations exist as we know them, the legend of ‘Stairway’ will live on. Whether you like it or not, its iconic status at this point is so assured that any arguments against it wil prove futile.” –Jackson

[19] Radiohead – Paranoid Android

“Ambition makes you look pretty ugly”

[1997] OK Computer
[4536.9 Points, 21 Votes, 216 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 14
2008: 24 (+5)
AM 3000: 305
Fans: Hauke (7), Jackson (14), SR (22) 42david42 (25), Brose (28), DepecheMode(30), Nick (33), Ajackson (43), BillAdama(47), Midaso (50)

Comment: “In six minutes it manages to sum up what is really the only legendary album of the last fifteen years. Every reason OK Computer is praised—the exhaustive attention-to-detail of its production, its alienated world view, and its dynamic song structures, to name a few—are omnipresent on ‘Paranoid Android.’ I am somewhat surprised that this is one of Radiohead’s most popular tracks—there is nothing accessible about this song, and it took repeated attempts by my friends who were trying to introduce me to Radiohead to get me to like it. It’s still my favorite song by them, and for now, nothing else is close.” –Jackson

[18] LCD Soundsystem – All My Friends

“You think over and over, ‘Hey, I’m finally dead.'"

[2007] Sound of Silver
[4640.2 Points, 16 Votes, 290 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: N/A
2008: 53 (+35)
AM 3000: 198
Fans: Nick (6), SR (9), Nassim (10) Brose (11), Moonbeam (15), Jackson (18) Brose (11), Moonbeam (15), Jackson (18) Schwah (23), BillAdama (27), Weezy (31) BeefSupreme (40)

Comment: “On "All My Friends" Murphy is no longer worried about losing his edge-- he's not even looking for it any more…While the song's skeletal structure may be virtually unchanged from the steady build of the band's first singles, the ingredients have been reshuffled: Instead of building off a drum beat, the core of the song is a jumbled piano loop that sounds discordant and uncomfortable until it's surrounded by a steadily growing army of percussion and the happiest guitar riff Murphy's ever allowed. By the end, the piano has become euphoric and confident without changing a lick, a neat thematic trick to accompany Murphy's bittersweet lyrical acceptance of growing old.” –Pitchfork

“The song rose dramatically from the last poll, yet I doubt any forum regulars flinched. There’s a reason this song has been called a ‘modern classic’ on the AMF— people who have listened to lots of music from a variety of genres and eras know a special single when they hear it. I won't be shocked at all if this makes the top ten of out next poll." -Jackson

Wow, I knew "All My Friends" was really well loved around here, but jeez, I wasn't expecting anything this high!

Jackson

[1971] Led Zeppelin IV
Other Placements:

Comment: “As long as there are middle schoolers discovering rock music as long as there are beginning guitarists needing to find an introductory solo to play, and as long as classic rock radio stations exist as we know them...” –Jackson

that is me 100%

"All My Friends " for the win!

Jackson

[19] Radiohead – Paranoid Android

“Ambition makes you look pretty ugly”

[1997] OK Computer
[4536.9 Points, 21 Votes, 216 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 14
2008: 24 (+5)
AM 3000: 305
Fans: Hauke (7), Jackson (14), SR (22) 42david42 (25), Brose (28), DepecheMode(30), Nick (33), Ajackson (43), BillAdama(47), Midaso (50)

Comment: “In six minutes it manages to sum up what is really the only legendary album of the last fifteen years. Every reason OK Computer is praised—the exhaustive attention-to-detail of its production, its alienated world view, and its dynamic song structures, to name a few—are omnipresent on ‘Paranoid Android.’ I am somewhat surprised that this is one of Radiohead’s most popular tracks—there is nothing accessible about this song, and it took repeated attempts by my friends who were trying to introduce me to Radiohead to get me to like it. It’s still my favorite song by them, and for now, nothing else is close.” –Jackson

Fred's final thesis: (results)

Feel free to ask me to mail it to you. It's in swedish though...

The interresting part is the positive bodily reactions from Debaser and the perceived emotional content from listening to Paranoid Android. Plus the detailed descriptions of the experiences. Among the 24 subjects median age was 30 and number of listenings to each song around 50. Invitation went out to students of psychology and to a lesser degree students of music and sociology.

S=Tension
U=Attention
K=Feelings
P=Positive Feelings
N=Negative Feelings
K=Bodily Reaction
M=Conscious Reaction
T=Experiences from the texture (lyrics)

Tabell 3. Number of participants, min-, max- och means plus standard deviations for the numeric variables referring to experiences from listening to Paranoid Android mith Radiohead.

Variabels: N Min Max M SD

Spänning 23 1 9 5,52 2,37

Uppmärksamhet 23 1 10 7,08 2,06

Känslor 23 5 10 7,60 1,55

Positiva känslor 23 1 10 6,30 2,65

Negativa känslor 23 1 9 4,17 2,77

Kroppsliga upplevelser 23 1 10 4,69 2,56

Mevetna upplevelser 22 1 10 5,04 2,73

Tabell 4. Correlations between the the variables referring to experiences from listening to Paranoid Android

S U K P N Kr M

Spänning (S) ----- 0.47* 0.31 0.60** -0.05 0.74* -0.25 0.25

Uppmärksamhet (U) 0.47* ----- 0.63** 0.42* -0.19 0.23 0.31 0.34

Känslor (K) 0.31 0.63** ----- 0.41 0.15 0.20 0.17 0.34

Positiva känslor (P) 0.60** 0.42* 0.41 ----- -0.52* 0.27 -0.05 -0.09

Negativa känslor (N) -0.05 -0.19 0.15 -0.52* ----- 0.16 -0.07 0.15

Kroppsliga upplevelser (Kr) 0.74** 0.23 0.20 0.27 0.16 ----- -0.29 0.27

Medvetna upplevelser (M) - 0.25 0.31 0.17 -0.05 -0.07 -0.29 ----- 0.28

** p < 0.01
* p < 0.05

--------------------------------------------------

Tabell 3. Number of participants, min-, max- och means plus standard deviations for the numeric variables referring to experiences from listening to Debaser with Pixies.

Variabel
N Min Max M SD

Spänning 24 1 9 5,45 2,43

Uppmärksamhet 24 1 9 6,33 2,16

Känslor 24 2 10 6,58 2,14

Positiva upplevelser 24 2 10 6,91 2,24

Negativa upplevelser 24 1 7 3,37 2,10

Kroppsliga upplevelser 24 1 9 6,29 2,01

Medvetna upplevelser 24 1 10 3,91 2,46

Tabell 2. Correlations between the the variables referring to experiences from listening to Debaser.

S U K P N Kr M

Spänning (S) ----- 0.41* 0.27 0.38 -0.09 0.17 0.07 0.30

Uppmärksamhet (U) 0.41* ----- 0.43* 0.14 -0.07 0.17 0.25 0.53**

Känslor (K) 0.27 0.43* ----- 0.43* -0.32 0.42 0.17 0.03

Positiva känslor (P) 0.38 0.14 0.43* ----- -0.65** 0.60** 0.36 0.08

Negativa känslor (N) -0.09 -0.07 -0.32 -0.65** ----- -0.40 -0.07 0.17

Kroppsliga upplevelser (Kr) 0.17 0.17 0.42 0.60** -0.40 ----- 0.34 0.27

Medvetna upplevelser (M) 0.07 0.25 0.17 0.36 -0.07 0.34 ----- 0.68**

nicolas

Almost 75 % of my favorite songs were released prior to 1980.

When I split off from pop music, I heard all the good 1966-1975 stuff before I heard the good 1980+ stuff. The reason, the good stuff from the 60s and 70s is far more well known than the good stuff from the 80s, for the same reasons you mentioned earlier about lack of consensus.

It's the same with the 00s. Whenever the focus of mainstream is more performance and image oriented than music oriented, music fans splinter and all find different things to like.

It's interesting, because the median year of the 128 albums that qualified for the Moderate draw was 1998. Which suggests that the good albums from the 80s and on are less acclaimed.

[17] Jimi Hendrix – All Along the Watchtower

“‘No reason to get excited,’ the thief he kindly spoke”

[1968] Electric Ladyland
[4844.4 Points, 21 Votes, 230 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 47
2008: 29 (+12)
AM 3000: 84
Fans: BillAdama (1), Henry (2), Guy (10), VanillaFire1000 (13), SR (14), Nick(37), Brose (47)

Comment: “The best lyricist ever supplied the lyrics, and the best guitarist ever (and one of the most underrated arrangers) did the rest. I love Hendrix, but I don’t think any of his other songs approach the high artistry displayed here. Every note s purposeful and focused, and Hendrix became one of a select few artists to beat Dylan at his own song.” –Jackson

[16] Pulp – Common People

“If you called your Dad he could stop it all”

[1995] Different Class
[4883.2 Points, 20 Votes, 244 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 97
2008: 5 (-11)
AM 3000: 50
Fans: Stephan (3), BillAdama (6), Rob(9), Nick (11), Midaso (24), SR (37), Nicolas(42), Henry (43), Todd (47)

Comment: “Everyone who has heard the song would likely agree that it’s one of the most incredible lyrical performances of the past two decades, if not all time. Besides being one of the definitive songs describing the universal rich-poor social gap, "Common People" also holds the unofficial record for ‘most climatic buildups during one song.’ Even if you think it can't get more epic than it already is, just wait...it just keeps outdoing itself. Add in the electro-pop production more than vaguely reminiscent of Brian Eno, and you have one of a select group of recent songs that will stand up to any 60s or 70s classic.” –Jackson

Are there two "Todd"s who voted here?

I did not list Stairway to Heaven anywhere on my list, let alone at #1.

My #1 was The Ronettes' "Be My Baby" -- which was correctly flagged when that song came up.

Todd
Are there two "Todd"s who voted here?

I did not list Stairway to Heaven anywhere on my list, let alone at #1.

My #1 was The Ronettes' "Be My Baby" -- which was correctly flagged when that song came up.

There were two people that had 'Stairway' at number one for sure. I put your name incorrectly in the fan section. I'm not at my regular computer, so I couldn't tell you who the real fan was.

Ok, I think this is the top 15 tied down now -

Good Vibrations
Like A Rolling Stone
Strawberry Fields Forever
A Day In The Life
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Waterloo Sunset
"Heroes"
London Calling
Love Will Tear Us Apart
Smells Like Teen Spirit
Born To Run
Respect
What's Going On
God Only Knows
Gimme Shelter

Can we guess what's coming next, Jackson? If yes, then I think Gimme Shelter.

Guesses are encouraged! Respect placed in the 80-90 range. I'd like to see somebody's ordered T15 prediction.

The list this time out feels more classic rock. I think Joy Division and the Smiths will fall a bit.

MJ's passing pushes his best solo song into the top-15 (but I continue to adamently proclaim that none of his solo work reached the heights of "I Want You Back" "The Love You Save" and "ABC").

BTW, there are two songs here that I think are wildly overrated, and one that is mildly overrated (and Billie Jean is not one of them). But I will not rain on their parade right now.

1) A Day In The Life
2) Like A Rolling Stone
3) God Only Knows
4) Strawberry Fields Forever
5) Good Vibrations
6) Smells Like Teen Spirit
7) Waterloo Sunset
8) Love Will Tear Us Apart
9) London Calling
10) Gimme Shelter
11) Billie Jean
12) Born To Run
13) What's Going On
14) Heroes
15) There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

Ordered prediction? Very hard,but sure:
15.London Calling
14.Billie Jean
13.Smells Like Teen Spirit
12.There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
11.Love Will Tear Us Apart
10.What's Going On
9.Strawberry Fields Forever
8.Good Vibrations
7.Waterloo Sunset
6.Gimme Shelter
5.Born To Run
4.Heroes
3.God Only Knows
2.Like A Rolling Stone
1.A Day In The Life

Larry
Daniel,

I'm happy to share notes! I'll just post my entire CCM sub-list. I'm glad you asked, because I hadn't counted the % of CCM songs before then, but it's 61/323...about 18.8%

1 Petra - Beyond Belief
7 Newsboys - Shine
12 Geoff Moore & the Distance - I Will Follow You
13 Audio Adrenaline - Big House
23 Russ Taff - Table in the Wilderness
26 Seventh Day Slumber - From the Inside Out
33 Amy Grant - That's What Love is For
34 Newsboys - Million Pieces (Kissin' Your Cares Goodbye)
35 Rich Mullins - Land of My Sojourn
40 Steven Curtis Chapman - See the Glory
46 Heather Miller - Thinking of You
53 Rich Mullins - Where You Are
54 Amy Grant - Saved by Love
55 Geoff Moore & the Distance - Rescue Me
59 Petra - Dance
61 Amy Grant - The Feeling I Had
63 Jars of Clay - Love Song for a Savior
65 Amy Grant - Oh How the Years Go By
73 Jennifer Knapp - Martyrs and Thieves
75 Burlap to Cashmere - Digee Dime
82 Susan Ashton - Suffer In Silence
85 Switchfoot - Gone
88 Toby Mac - Gone
89 Geoff Moore & the Distance - Mercy for the Memories
92 Toby Mac - Catchafire (Whoopsi-Daisy)
93 Steve Taylor - Bannerman
94 Jars of Clay - Liquid
96 Geoff Moore & the Distance - The Keeper
103 Jars of Clay - Unforgetful You
104 Amy Grant - Lead Me On
122 dc talk - In The Light
128 Heather Miller - We Will See Him
143 sixpence none the richer - within a room, somewhere
144 Smalltown Poets - if you'll let me love you
150 Sarah Masen - Love
153 Britt Nicole - The Lost Get Found
154 Geoff Moore & the Distance - That's When I'll Know I'm Home
158 MxPx - My Life Story
167 Switchfoot - Twenty Four
173 Chasen - On and On
179 Joy Williams - We
182 Mat Kearney - Closer To Love
189 Geoff Moore & the Distance - Outsiders
201 Third Day - Thief
203 Carolyn Arends - Love Is Always There
204 Plumb - Stranded
209 Kris Allen - Live Like We're Dying
213 Ashley Cleveland - You Are There
216 Natalie Grant - Held
228 Geoff Moore & the Distance - Make Up Your Mind
243 Switchfoot - This Is Your Life
266 Newsboys - Entertaining Angels
267 Third Day - Praise Song
283 Susan Ashton - Waiting for your Love to Come Down
284 dc talk - The Hardway
289 Vigilantes of Love - Double Cure
295 Geoff Moore - We Are Waiting
299 dc talk - Jesus Freak
300 Sarah Masen - Kissing Tree
301 Newsboys - Breathe
314 Brooke Fraser - Shadowfeet

Some highlights...
Heavy on 1990s CCM, not too much from the last decade.

Pop/Rock
-- I love Geoff Moore & the Distance, as evidenced by the 8 entries
-- Rich Mullins is one of the greatest musicians CCM has ever produced. Sadly, like Buddy Holly, Otis Redding, and many others, he died tragically before his time

"Alternative"
-- Burlap to Cashmere
-- Vigilantes of Love
-- sixpence none the richer (pre-"Kiss Me")
-- Steve Taylor
-- plumb

Unplugged
-- Jennifer Knapp

Punk
-- MxPx (esp. albums Slowly Going the Way of the Buffalo, The Ever Passing Moment)

Other great albums:
-- Jennifer Knapp, Kansas
-- Jars of Clay, Jars of Clay
-- Switchfoot, Beautiful Letdown
-- Newsboys, going public
-- Sarah Masen, Sarah Masen
-- dc Talk, Jesus Freak
-- Burlap to Cashmere, Anybody Out There?
-- Steve Taylor, Squint
-- Third Day, Third Day

I could have listed lots more Geoff Moore, dc Talk and Newsboys, but I tried to keep it to a reasonable number. :)

Other favorite CCM artists of yours?

Hey Larry,

Sorry for the late response!

I would have to agree with you on CCM's output in the '90s vs. the 2000s.

I myself am not a fan of Casting Crowns, despite their massive popularity, and even though Newsboys are one of my favourite artists of all time, I think that Thrive (2002) was their last album I really enjoyed. Since then, I have liked a few songs from their albums ("The Orphan" from Devotion, "Something Beautiful" and "Your Love Is Better Than Life" from Go, but that's about it. I do enjoy the title track from "In the Hands of God," but I haven't listened to the album yet).

My fave Newsboys album is probably Take Me to Your Leader, very closely followed by (in no order): Love Liberty Disco, Thrive and Going Public.

However, Jesus Freak by dc Talk would have to be my favourite CCM album ever, and Jars of Clay's eponymous album is also one of my faves. I'll have to check out some of the other albums you recommended.

There aren't a whole lot of other CCM artists I've enjoyed (or really gotten into), but some of the ones I have enjoyed, based on the brief amount of material I have heard from them:

• Audio Adrenaline
• Kutless
• Petra
• Relient K (their songs are really hit-or-miss for me...I love "Must Have Done Something Right," "Faking My Own Suicide," "Deathbed," but I don't like much of their early punky-high school-chapstick-prom numbers)
• Chris Rice
• Sixpence None the Richer
• Michael W. Smith (have his First Decade greatest hits CD...enjoy most of it, except not songs like "Friends" and "Place in This World")
• Kevin Max Smith
• Sonic Flood
• Starfield (I have their first album, and I think it's decent)
• Switchfoot
• Chris Tomlin

There are also a few local (Halifax, Nova Scotia) Christian artists I have gotten into after seeing them play:
• Jon Bryant
• Matt Bustin
• The Contact
• Chelsea Nisbett
• Ruth & Sean

Jackson

[1971] Led Zeppelin IV
Other Placements:

Comment: “As long as there are middle schoolers discovering rock music as long as there are beginning guitarists needing to find an introductory solo to play, and as long as classic rock radio stations exist as we know them, the legend of ‘Stairway’ will live on. Whether you like it or not, its iconic status at this point is so assured that any arguments against it wil prove futile.” –Jackson

I certainly hope my #1 vote was counted towards "Stairway"'s final tally ;)

Mizell Brothers: 14
Steely Dan: 11
Bill Evans: 7
Curt Boettcher: 6
Beatles: 6
Beach Boys: 6
David Axelrod: 6
Wayne Shorter: 5
Michael Jackson: 5
John Coltrane: 5
Joni Mitchell: 5
Charles Stepney: 4
Herbie Hancock: 4
Todd Rundgren: 4
Madlib: 4
Juan Gabriel: 4
Bob James: 4
Bee Gees: 4

The chart for years would look like a pyramid, even though I didn't think it would be like that as much as my albums list.

Jimi Hendrix at 17th is an absolute gift. I love pretty much all of Jimi's deep cuts, but I must admit that All Along the Watchtower is perhaps his strongest piece. While the lyrics are not his, he made the arrangement entirely his own, and it pulsates with life like any of his other work. Common People is also excellent, and considering it's very high placement last poll, I'm a little surprised it didn't place a little higher.

Here's my stab at an ordered T15

1. The Beatles - A Day in the Life
2. Thee Beach Boys - God Only Knows
3. Bob Dylan - Like a Rolling Stone
4. The Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever
5. Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
6. Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
7. The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations
8. The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset
9. The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
10. Nirvana - Smells like Teen Spirit
11. David Bowie - Heroes
12. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
13. The Smiths - There Is a Light that Never Goes Out
14. The Clash - London Calling
15. Michael Jackson - Billie Jean

My artist tally:

The Beatles - 33
U2 - 12
Led Zeppelin - 11
David Bowie - 10
George Harrison - 10
The Beach Boys - 9
Cat Stevens - 9
Newsboys - 9
Billy Joel - 8
Chicago - 8
John Lennon - 8
Michael Jackson - 8
Pink Floyd - 8
Radiohead - 8
Bob Dylan - 7
Elton John - 7
The Rolling Stones - 7
Buddy Holly - 6
Fleetwood Mac - 6
Moby - 6
The Bee Gees - 5
Coldplay - 5
dc Talk - 5
Donovan - 5
Simon & Garfunkel - 5
Creedence Clearwater Revival - 4
Eric Clapton - 4
Kanye West - 4
The Kinks - 4
The Monkees - 4
Queen - 4
The Velvet Underground - 4
The White Stripes - 4
The Who - 4
America - 3
Beck - 3
Bruce Springsteen - 3
The Clash - 3
Daryl Hall & John Oates - 3
Electric Light Orchestra - 3
Joe Cocker - 3
Johnny Cash - 3
Neil Young - 3
Paul McCartney/Wings - 3
Red Hot Chili Peppers - 3
Talking Heads - 3
Tommy James & The Shondells - 3
The Animals - 2
Annie Lennox - 2
Antony & The Johnsons - 2
Arcade Fire - 2
Bill Withers - 2
Bob Marley & The Wailers - 2
The Cars - 2
Chuck Berry - 2
Clarence Carter - 2
Crosby, Stills & Nash - 2
Elvis Presley - 2
Franz Ferdinand - 2
George Michael - 2
Gorillaz - 2
Green Day - 2
Jimi Hendrix - 2
Louis Armstrong - 2
Marvin Gaye - 2
MGMT - 2
Mika - 2
Neil Diamond - 2
Oasis - 2
Peter Gabriel - 2
R.E.M. - 2
Rod Stewart - 2
Sly & The Family Stone - 2
The Smiths - 2
Sonic Youth - 2
Stevie Wonder - 2
Styx - 2
The Ting Tings - 2
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - 2
Van Morrison - 2
War - 2

If the predictors reflect the general consensus of the forum, then you guys are in for some big surprises.

[15] Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

“War is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate”

[1971] What’s Going On
[4972.8 Points, 19 Votes, 261 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 7
2008: 14 (-1)
AM 3000: 8
Fans: Vgrd (5), SR (5), Honorio (8), Midaso (8), Georgie (12), Nick (21), Leonardo (24), Nicolas (35), Todd (45)

Comment: “‘What's Going On’ was a new kind of protest song, a sugar-coated pill which surveyed the troubled landscape of an America torn apart by war, poverty, and prejudice, but reported its findings not with anger and recriminations, but with compassion and tenderness. The song was inspired as much by the bigger picture of Vietnam and the civil rights movement as by events in Marvin Gaye's tumultuous personal life -- specifically, the return of his brother, Frankie, from combat; the death of his duet partner, Tammi Terrell; and his disintegrating marriage to wife Anna…"What's Going On" might not be the biggest hit Motown scored -- the song reached number two in 1971 -- but it might be the most transcendent.” –AllMusic

[14] The Clash – London Calling

“Phony Beatlemania has bitten the dust”

[1979] London Calling
[5105.8 Points, 20 Votes, 255 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 36
2008: 21 (+7)
AM 3000: 30
Fans: Nick (5), Leonardo (15), Michel(17), SR (25), Rob (28), Henry (29), Vgrd (32), Michael B. (33), Stephan (36), Brose(40), Jackson (48)

Comment: “Named after the cal signal of the BBC's World Service broadcasts, the title alarm of the Clash's third album was an SOS from the heart of darkness. When they recorded the song the Clash -- British punk's most political and uncompromising band -- were without management and sinking in debt Around them, Britain was suffocating in crisis: soaring unemployment, racia conflict, epidemic drug use. "We felt that we were struggling," Joe Strummer said"about to slip down a slope or something grasping with our fingernails. And there was no one there to help us." Strummer and guitarist Mick Jones channeled that trial and worry into a song, produced with hellbent atmosphere by Guy Stevens, that sounded like the Clash marching into battle.” – Rolling Stone

[13] The Smiths – There Is a Light That Never Goes Out

“To die by your side is such a heavenly way to die”

[1986] The Queen Is Dead
[5159.0 Points, 18 Votes, 286 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 8
2008: 10 (-3)
AM 3000: 179
Fans: Midaso (1), Nick (4), Todd (6), Honorio (7), Jackson (10), Ajackson (12), Tsmzth (20), Michel (22), Hauke (22), SR (28)

Comment: “It’s not the saddest Smiths song, but it’s probably the most emotionally affecting. Depending on your mood, “There Is a Light” can be a song of despair, love, lost love, or bliss. Musically, it may appear a little bland to a first-time listener, but those more familiar with it will likely recognize the brilliance in the way different instruments are slowly added to the mix. Ultimately, this creates an incredible climax that makes you wish the song was significantly longer than its four minute riding time." -Jackson

Last three were excellent!!

I'll only guess the top 3 cause that's the easiest

3. Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone
2. The Beatles - A Day In The Life
1. The Beach Boys - God Only Knows

Jackson

[1995] Different Class
Other Placements:
Fans: Stephan (3), BillAdama (6), Rob(9), Nick (11), Midaso (24), SR (37), Nicolas(42), Henry (43), Todd (47)

Comment: “Everyone who has heard the song would likely agree that it’s one of the most incredible lyrical performances of the past two decades, if not all time. Besides being one of the definitive songs describing the universal rich-poor social gap, "Common People" also holds the unofficial record for ‘most climatic buildups during one song.’ Even if you think it can't get more epic than it already is, just wait...it just keeps outdoing itself. Add in the electro-pop production more than vaguely reminiscent of Brian Eno, and you have one of a select group of recent songs that will stand up to any 60s or 70s classic.” –Jackson

i will never understand why people even like this song. is it a british thing?

[12] Nirvana – Smells Like Teen Spirit

“Here we are now, entertain us”

[1991] Nevermind
[5181.8 Points, 24 Votes, 215 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 43
2008: 11 (-1)
AM 3000: 3
Fans: Leonardo (3), SR (6), BillAdama(16), Nick (20), 42david42 (21), Ajackson (25), Mindrocker (35), Todd (49)

Comment: “A shock wave of big- amp purity, ‘Teen Spirit’ wiped the lingering jive of the Eighties off the pop map overnight. "The song was a call to consciousness," Novoselic said in 2000 -- Cobain's avenging grenade against the corporate invasion of youth culture, spiked with the demanding venom of the sneering chorus: ‘Here we are now/ Entertain us.’ The phrase was something Cobain used to say as he walked into parties--to 'break the ice,' he said. It was also ‘an insight into how Kurt thought of the world,’ Novoselic said. ‘That could have been him sitting there, watching TV, aghast at popular culture.’” -Rolling Stone

[11] David Bowie – “Heroes”

"We can beat them, just for one day."

[1977] ”Heroes”
[5367.8 Points, 21 Votes, 255 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 3
2008: 16 (+5)
AM 3000: 59
Fans: DepecheMode (1), Brose (7), Nick (9), Hauke (13), SR (19), Midaso (27), Joobalooba (29), Honorio (33), Jackson (35), Vgrd (38)

Comment: “‘’Heroes’’ is arguably David Bowie's finest individual song throughout his varied, fascinating career The story of its inspiration got a bit muddled over time -- it might have been two employees at the recording studio near the Berlin Wall who Bowie saw in an embrace, or simply two random strangers in the shadow of that Cold War symbol. But inspired by that and with the collaborative help of Brian Eno and, with a jaw-dropping set of solos, guitarist Robert Fripp, Bowie, his backing band and producer Tony Visconti created a true classic. Clearly drawing from the various German influences he had absorbed while still relying on the dramatic power of rock and roll, the song becomes an anthem, Fripp's exquisite work at once celebratory and an electric requiem.” –AllMusic

The fact that AM like Common People is a bit of an idiosyncrasy, it's not this much love anywhere else on the internet :D

Shame Heroes has gone. Out of those remaining, it was probably my favourite.

Actually Jackson, you said that no.10 was a shock...who could it be? I presume Billie Jean, but hey...

Michael
Jackson

[1995] Different Class
Other Placements:

i will never understand why people even like this song. is it a british thing?

I get the appeal of Common People (song is in my top 200) but I don't get the love for Heroes.

Joobalooba
The fact that AM like Common People is a bit of an idiosyncrasy, it's not this much love anywhere else on the internet :D

Shame Heroes has gone. Out of those remaining, it was probably my favourite.

Actually Jackson, you said that no.10 was a shock...who could it be? I presume Billie Jean, but hey...

Rather:

"I want to sleep with common people, like you"

There is a SLIGHT chance 20 people likes "Imperial" with Strapping Young Lad...after all the guy is mad.

Pulp might be a British thing, but Common People is definitely not. It's one of the few Pulp songs I like, and it made my list. Pulp is more of a twee thing, and I think there are a lot of twee fans on this forum.

The rest of the top ten will be revealed in the next 24 hours! This was surely the most surprising song of the bunch.

[10] Michael Jackson – Billie Jean

“But the kid is not my son”

[1982] Thriller]
[5536.4 Points, 24 Votes, 230 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 81
2008: 23 (+13)
AM 3000: 29
Fans: Todd (7), BillAdama (7), Leonardo (12), Brose (15), Nicolas (15), VanillaFire1000 (17), Anders (17), Nick (25), Michael B. (26), Honorio (39), SR (41), Stone (45)

Comment: “Quincy Jones had objections to Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean." The producer thought that the title would be confusing, leading listeners to think that the title referred to pro tennis player Billie changed to "Not My Lover." Actually, the song's title character was based on all the women who'd brought maternity suits against Jackson and his brothers when they were known as the Jackson 5." -AllMusic

“I don’t think this placement has anything to do with the incidence of this poll within a year of Jackson’s death. Instead, I think it reflects increasing recognition of ‘Billie Jean’ as a premier track in the pop music canon.” –Jackson

Jackson
“I don’t think this placement has anything to do with the incidence of this poll within a year of Jackson’s death. Instead, I think it reflects increasing recognition of ‘Billie Jean’ as a premier track in the pop music canon.” –Jackson

I don't know, I think it might. "Beat it" is a better song, in my opinion.

listyguy
Jackson

It's your opinion, so I'll just respond with... no.

As for his death and getting more exposure (if that is possible), The Earth Song was played at the Grammys and I never realized how great of a song that is.

listyguy
Jackson

I agree with Jackson (the host of the poll not MJ). Billie Jean won our 80's poll (which was surprise to me). So even if MJ hadn't died the song would have been in the top 15. But I still don't get why Billie Jean is the only song that get acclaim (Don't Stop... was also in the list but I don't know where it would have been without my vote). In 80's poll there wasn't any other MJ even close to final top 100. So what's so special in Billie Jean?

John

Pulp might be a British thing, but Common People is definitely not. It's one of the few Pulp songs I like, and it made my list. Pulp is more of a twee thing, and I think there are a lot of twee fans on this forum.

Wow, I have never (before) considered Pulp (or Common People) as a twee thing. It could be a one reason to its great support here in the forum. But on the otherhand I am a fan of twee pop but I didn't vote for the song (however I had two Pulp songs in my list).

And I don't get the Heroes thing neither...
Not to mention Like a Rolling Stone...
And in Pet Sounds there are many better songs than God Only Knows...
And Ian Curtis sings very badly in Love Will Tear Us apart... Sorry about this (and I voted for Love Will Tear Us Apart.)

Really? I got to go with Jarvis Cocker on this one. The "Earth Song" is terrible. Dangerous was such an uneven record. It featured some of his best singles: Remember the Time, In the Closet, Who Is It, and Give it to Me but the ballads on that disc are just overwrought and wretched.

"Billie Jean" is awesome on two levels. As a record, it has an amazing rhythm track and a fantastic vocal. As a moment in pop music history, it was a seminal record just like "I Want to Hold Your Hand" was in 1964 or "Heartbreak Hotel" in 1956; it (along with his performance of said song on Motown 25) marked the moment when Jackson became a genuine cultural phenomena of the order of Sinatra, Elvis, and the Fabs.

My prediction for the rest of the list:

#1: Bob Dylan – Like a Rolling Stone
#2: The Beatles – A Day in the Life
#3: The Beach Boys – Good Vibrations
#4: Joy Division – Love Will Tear Us Apart
#5: The Beatles – Strawberry Fields Forever
#6: The Beach Boys – God Only Knows
#7: The Kinks – Waterloo Sunset
#8: Bruce Springsteen – Born to Run
#9: The Rolling Stones – Gimme Shelter

Stone
Really? I got to go with Jarvis Cocker on this one. The "Earth Song" is terrible. Dangerous was such an uneven record. It featured some of his best singles: Remember the Time, In the Closet, Who Is It, and Give it to Me but the ballads on that disc are just overwrought and wretched.

"Billie Jean" is awesome on two levels. As a record, it has an amazing rhythm track and a fantastic vocal. As a moment in pop music history, it was a seminal record just like "I Want to Hold Your Hand" was in 1964 or "Heartbreak Hotel" in 1956; it (along with his performance of said song on Motown 25) marked the moment when Jackson became a genuine cultural phenomena of the order of Sinatra, Elvis, and the Fabs.

"Earth Song" wasn't from the Dangerous album. It was from the disc of new material on HIStory (1995)

You're right. I was thinking of "Heal the World," which, sadly, is even worse than "Earth Song." Other than "Stranger in Moscow," I cannot think of a single good ballad he did after "Human Nature."

Daniel
Stone

"Earth Song" wasn't from the Dangerous album. It was from the disc of new material on HIStory (1995)

listyguy
Jackson

I agree. I love "Billie Jean", but it's not even in my top 5 MJ tracks.

Based on what I've seen on this forum, here's how I think the rest of the list will play out:
1- Joy Division, Love Will Tear Us Apart
2- The Beach Boys, God Only Knows
3- The Beatles, Strawberry Fields Forever (my favorite Beatles song)
4- The Beach Boys, Good Vibrations
5- Bob Dylan, Like a Rolling Stone
6- The Beatles, A Day in the Life
7- The Kinks, Waterloo Sunset
8- Bruce Springsteen, Born to Run
9- The Rolling Stones, Gimme Shelter

I love these next two, so they get a post to themselves:

[9] Joy Division – Love Will Tear Us Apart

“But there’s still this appeal that we’ve kept through our lives”

[1980] Single
[5883.6 Points, 17 Votes, 346 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 11
2008: 4 (-5)
AM 3000: 16

Fans: Anders (1), Brose (2), Vgrd (3), SR (3), Hauke (6), Midaso (6), Nick (7), Jackson (9), Ajackson (14), Michel (20), Todd (48)

Comment: “‘Love Will Tear Us Apart’ is one of the few singles that is both the artistic and melodic peak of a great artist. Even though it’s polarizing, it’s still Joy Division’s most obviously accessible song. It retains the traditional vocal chill, instrumental precision, and haunting mood that the band is known for, while providing a more direct lyric and memorable chorus. To me, this song is an artistic milestone in the world of rock.” --Jackson

[8] The Kinks – Waterloo Sunset

“But I don’t need no friends”

[1967] Something Else By The Kinks
[5950.9 Points, 23 Votes, 258 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 15
2008: 7 (-1)
AM 3000: 57

Fans: Jackson (1), Midaso (2), Brad (3), Sven (7), Daniel (7), SR (8), Guy (16), Leonardo (29), Nick (29), Brose (38)

Comment: “Just as Loveless is my undisputed, unchallenged number one album, ‘Waterloo Sunset’ is my number one song. By far my most-played song since I got a LastFm account fifteen months ago, I can’t remember the last time I listened to this song without replaying it at least once or twice. If I had to rank my favorite songs in terms of lyrics, melody, and instrumentation, this would likely get top five in all three categories. The existence of ‘Waterloo Sunset’ makes me restrain my use of the often-overused term ‘perfect pop song,’ as this is really the only perfect pop song I’ve heard. I’m just glad this song can rank so highly in a forum with such diverse taste.” –Jackson

As anyone can see from the "fans section" I deeply love both of those last two. I wish Love Will Tear Us Apart would have finished a bit higher, but #9 is certainly a tremendous finish.

Once, I listened to Waterloo Sunset 23 times in a row. The perfect song for a lazy sunday afternoon.

Can't argue with these.

[7] The Beatles – Strawberry Fields Forever

“Living is easy with eyes closed”

[1967] Single
[6324.7 Points, 21 Votes, 301 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 6
2008: 6 (-1)
AM 3000: 17

Fans: Stone (1), Honorio (2), Oscar (4), Hauke (5), Toni (6), BillAdama (10), Brose (12), SR (13), Nick (16), Nicolas (21), Leonardo (22), Georgie (40)

Comment: “At the beginning of its quite complicated evolution the tunewas a folky ballad evoking a dream world where nothing was real and there was nothing to get hung about. As is well known, Strawberry Fields is a real location in the city where Lennon grew up, Liverpool. Strawberry Field was a Salvation Army orphanage where he used to play with his friends as a child. The song "Strawberry Fields Forever," however, is not so much about a physical place as it is about a state of mind, drug-influenced almost surely. As is the case with several other Lennon songs of the period, there could be an implication that this attractively lethargic, peaceful state is an inner state of being preferable to that of the straight world.” –AllMusic

[6] The Rolling Stone – Gimme Shelter

“Rape, murder, it’s just a shot away”

[1969] Let It Bleed
[6396.4 Points, 27 Votes, 236 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 18
2008: 8 (+2)
AM 3000: 130

Fans: Schwah (1), Todd (2), Ajackson (3), Stone (15), BillAdama (15), Michel (24), SR (31), Nick (36), Brose (39), 42david42 (46)

Comment: "Gimme Shelter" is the Rolling Stones song most apt to be called apocalyptic, and was…the best track on their 1969 album Let It Bleed. The most striking feature of the cut makes itself known right away: the shaky, shimmering guitar leads, whose catchiness nonetheless is imbued with a feeling of impending doom. The eerie, high, wordless vocals and dramatic piano that preface the verse add to the feeling that something dreadful is approaching just over the horizon. The verses are rather ordinary and workmanlike in comparison to the chorus, another great catchy Stones chorus that can be half-shouted and half-sung along with.” –AllMusic

My predictions of the top 5:
1- Good Vibrations
2- A Day in the Life
3- LARS
4- God Only Knows
5- Born to Run

Our number four song continues its meteoric rise in forum polls, though I don't think anyone is surprised.

[5] The Beach Boys – Good Vibrations

“I close my eyes; she’s somehow closer now”

[1966] Single
[7030.8 Points, 22 Votes, 319 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 4
2008: 9 (+4)
AM 3000: 3

Fans: Hauke (1), Mindrocker (1), BillAdama (2), Nick (3), Stone (6), Stephan (8), VanillaFire1000 (11), Vgrd (12), Leonardo (13), Brose (13), Henry (17), SR (18), Honorio (28)

Comment: “It scared me, the word 'vibrations,' " Brian Wilson once said, remembering how, when he was a boy, his mother, Audree, tried to explain why dogs barked at some people and not others. "A dog would pick up vibrations from these people that you can't see but you can feel. And the same thing happened with people." "Good Vibrations," Wilson's crowning achievement as a songwriter and producer, harnessed that energy and turned it into eternal sunshine. "This is a very spiritual song," he said after its release, "and I want it to give off good vibrations." Wilson, then twenty-four, also had another, more selfish goal in mind: "I said, 'This is going to be better than 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'.' " –Rolling Stone

[4] Bruce Springsteen – Born To Run

“Just wrap your legs around these velvet rims and strap your hands `cross my engines”

[1975] Born To Run
[7133.3 Points, 23 Votes, 310 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 48
2008: 15 (+11)
AM 3000: 26

Fans: Rob (4), Weezy (4), Henry (4), Brose (4), Midaso (5), Honorio (5), Nicolas (10), SR (10), Nick (13), Leonardo (14), Stephan (16), VanillFire1000 (24), BillAdama (31), Joobalooba (45), Stone (50)

Comment: “With "Born to Run," Bruce Springsteen achieved the perfect balance between working-class reality and rock & roll mythology. A blue-collar fairy tale evoking Phil Spector in its romanticized grandeur and Bob Dylan in its street-corner poetic grit, critic Greil Marcus once described it as "a '57 Chevy running on melted-down Crystals records," a superb metaphor which mirrors not only the song's sonic ambitions, but its thematic aims as well. "Born to Run" is teen melodrama in excelsis, overblown and histrionic in ways Spector never imagined; it smacks of the kind of palpable, life-or-death desperation which threads its way through everything from Romeo and Juliet to Rebel Without a Cause, where every action, every thought, and every word bears the complete weight of the world.” –AllMusic

What a superb finish for Born to Run. So I guess we're left with our final three. I'd bet on A Day in the Life to finish the threepeat, but I wouldn't at all be surprised to see God Only Knows take out Like a Rolling Stone.

I think "God Only Knows" won't be there at all. 25 of us or so simultanely discovered "Hobo Ho" with Mingus in our fathers lp-collection. The collapse of "God Only know"? - Too much exposure in polygamist tv-series...

Damn it I keep guessing wrong. Here's my top 3 prediction:
1- God Only Knows
2- A Day in the Life
3- LARS

listyguy
Damn it I keep guessing wrong. Here's my top 3 prediction:
1- God Only Knows
2- A Day in the Life
3- LARS

1 - A Day in the Life
2 - God Only Knows
3 - Like A Rolling Stone

I was expecting more excitement around this point of the poll, but I won't keep you waiting any longer. Here's the moment you've been waiting a month for since the results closed...and the moment none of you came even close to predicting.

Top 3:

[3] The Beatles – A Day in the Life

“He didn’t notice that the light had changed”

[1967] Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
[8052.5 Points, 25 Votes, 322 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 1
2008: 1 (-2)
AM 3000: 20

Fans: Nick (1), SR (1), VanillaFire1000 (4), Oscar (5), Stone (9), Fred (10), Brose (10), Hauke (11), Joobalooba (14), Michel (15), Leonardo (16), CharlieDriggs (17), Schwah (19), Petri (23), DepecheMode (28), Honorio (35), Brad (49)

Comment: "’A Day in the Life’ was one of the most complex and ambitious Lennon- McCartney songs performed by the Beatles, providing an incendiary climax for their Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album. It was also the most outstanding instance in which two discrete song fragments -- one primarily by John Lennon, the other by Paul McCartney -- were combined into one to build a whole greater than the sum of the parts. "A Day in the Life" is an unexpectedly mordant coda to an album noted for epitomizing the Summer of Love.” –AllMusic

[2] The Beach Boys – God Only Knows

“I may not always love you”

[1966] Pet Sounds
[8314.8 Points, 26 Votes, 319 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 5
2008: 3 (+1)
AM 3000: 51

Fans: Guy (1), Rob (3), Stone (3), Joobalooba (3), Honorio (4), SR (4), Sven (5), Brose (6), Midaso (14), Jackson (15), Vgrd (17), Weezy (20), Nick (22), BillAdama (28), Stephan (30), Leonardo (38), Sonofsamiam (50), Todd (50)

Comment: “The Beach Boys recorded many a gorgeous pop tune over the years but few were ever quite as transcendentally lovely as "God Only Knows." The song's clever lyrics form a first-person narrative where the narrator assures his beloved of his good intentions, climaxing with the phrase "God only knows what I'd be without you." The simple but direct and heartfelt sentiments make the lyric intoxicatingly romantic (and its mention of God raised a few eyebrows at the time). However, it's the music that really makes "God Only Knows" something special. It avoids the typical verse-chorus pop song structure to create something more personalized: It starts with two verses that weave a lovely melody higher with each stanza but maintain tension by bringing it down before it peaks, then gives way to a soaring and wordless vocal bridge, then goes through a final verse before climaxing with a gorgeous circular chorus that ends the song on a sunny note.” –AllMusic

[1] Bob Dylan – Like a Rolling Stone

“When you ain’t got nothing, you got nothing to lose”

[1965] Highway 61 Revisited
[9672.1 Points, 31 Votes, 312 Pts./Vote]
Other Placements:
2005: 2
2008: 2 (+1)
AM 3000: 1

Fans: Honorio (1), Stephan (1), Leonardo (1), Weezy (2), BillAdama (3), Todd (4), Oscar (7), SR (7), Michel (10), DepecheMode (14), VanillaFire1000 (14), Mindrocker (15), Guy (17), Vgrd (20), Joobalooba (22), Ajackson (26), Nick (26), Schwah (43), Jackson (44), Nicolas (46)

Comment: “One of the most self-righteous and eloquent indictments ever committed to wax, Like a Rolling Stone filters Bob Dylan’s indignation for pseudo-bohemian sixties’ scenesters through his legendary wit. If Dylan¹s first incarnation was as a protest singer, Like a Rolling Stone signals the era of Dylan as court jester/verbal assassin…Dylan says Like a Rolling Stone is distilled from a 24-page short story he wrote about a society girl turned lonely street urchin. Yet as in one theory of dream analysis, where every character is an aspect of oneself, it could just as easily be argued that there is some self-referential songwriting going on here, too. Ultimately, this band rollicks through the song with such focus and fury, and Dylan wails with such conviction, that the end result transcends logic and theory - and inspires a half-century’s worth of musicians, writers and artists.” –AllMusic

“In the end, it wasn’t even close. Like a Rolling Stone crushed the competition, garnering the most votes and number one votes, with an impressive 1300 points more than runner-up ‘God Only Knows’ and a starling 1600 more points than ‘A Day in the Life,’ which was never close to achieving a three-peat. I am happy with the way things turned out, even if we were amazingly close to having both our number one song and album be the same as the main site’s number one (recall OK Computer’s narrow victory over Pet Sounds in the `09 album poll). All three of these songs are classics, and it’s hard to envision a different top three next time around.” –Jackson

Wow I wasn't close at all.

Wohoo! Exactly the way I'd hoped them to be ranked. Awesome presentation Jackson, and sorry for not posting more often; be assured that I was refreshing the page every few minutes for the last hours or so though.

Very good top ten.

I'm still surprised at how highly rated Day In The Life is. I like the song but it's not one that immediately springs to mind for a 'Top ten Beatles songs' list.

Having scanned the results of the previous forum song polls, I am both surprised and pleased to see A Day in the Life get knocked off its perch, even if it does mean the number one is the same as the main AM list.

Either way, great poll Jackson, with lots of songs and artists I've discovered or will soon discover because of it.

Great presentation Jackson! I'm a tad disappointed that my beloved "A Day...." didn't pull the threepeat, but it is a bit more exciting seeing the defending champ be beat. And I don't think anyone would deny that Like a Rolling Stone is a worthy winner.

BillAdama
Very good top ten.

I'm still surprised at how highly rated Day In The Life is. I like the song but it's not one that immediately springs to mind for a 'Top ten Beatles songs' list.

I feel the same way. It was the best song from Sgt. Pepper's though.

Good work, Jackson!

I probably have no idea how much work is put down in this.

And...HOORAY for the WINNER!

Compare the number of votes, and there you see the difference -

ADITL - 25
God Only Knows - 26
LARS - 31

The consensus on that song is incredible, I guess it's because it's easier to be a Beatles hater than a Dylan hater.

Also interesting is that the second-most voted for track is at #6.

Fred
Good work, Jackson!

I probably have no idea how much work is put down in this.

I am very glad that I don't know the exact amount of hours that went into this. Only a truly insane person willfully signs up for something like this, but I'm really happy I did. I'm definitely down for hosting any future AMF polls, though not for a while!

Awesome job, Jackson. Even if I wasn't crazy about the contents of the list as a whole, your presentation of it was wonderful!

Fantastic work Jackson! You've done an amazing job with this poll. Thanks!

Magnificent work and maybe the best presentation ever. Thanks Jackson.
The orders of top 3 was big surprise to me as well (I would have guessed them to the opposite order).

I may have to steal a few of your ideas for my poll results.

Am I the only one who regularly has trouble posting messages on this site? At least three messages I posted properly (entered the letter code, and the post then showed as the next one on the board) were gone when I returned to the board. And there was nothing rude in them -- so I don't think they were removed.

I can't be bothered to repost, but just for the record my posts were as follows:

1. "You Haven't Done Nothing" is Stevie Wonder's greatest song and should be very high on this list (the great pulsing rhythm, the fantastic horn line after the chorus, Stevie's brilliantly sneering lyrics);
2. I simply cannot imagine how anyone could think that Common People is twee, This thrilling, explosive, contempt-filled anthem is about as "twee" as Gimme Shelter or I Wanna Be Your Dog;
3. "Billie Jean" is an indelible pop classic that deserves its status on this list. Its placement has nothing to do with MJ's death.

BTW, Jackson, fantastic job with fascinating statistics. Thanks!

Thanks for the compliments, guys! I'll make a new thread in a couple days with the individual lists, statistics, and a link to the epic spreadsheet.

John
I'll revisit it to see if I've missed anything else but I really don't like Too High, Higher Ground or Don't You Worry About a Thing. So, as an album I don't think I'll have much of a different opinion since that's almost half of the songs but maybe I missed another song.

I have always been partial to Golden Lady - but it is more of a ballad than some AMers would typically care for.

John
listyguy
Jackson

It's your opinion, so I'll just respond with... no.

Opinions are to be shared and if possible respected. If you want to hear some explosive guitar riffs in a Michael Jackson tune (and I very much do) - Beat It can easily be viewed as the preferred song compared to Billie Jean.

I am confident that there are many elucidating reasons to prefer Billie Jean (perhaps the story or video). But, I am not convinced that these reasons are "correct" - for the most part it's a matter of individual preferences.

Jackson, fantastic job! At least the order of the Top 3 was unpredictable, and it is nice to ADITL get unseated (as great as it is).

Jackson
Thanks for the compliments, guys! I'll make a new thread in a couple days with the individual lists, statistics, and a link to the epic spreadsheet.

Great job Jackson!!!

I am looking forward to the individual lists; and would be interested in seeing list comparisons as was done by Nicholas for the best album poll.

I added up the points each artist received from the Top 500:

1. The Beatles - 87,365
2. The Beach Boys - 30,412.9
3. Bob Dylan - 28,209
4. The Rolling Stones - 25,380.4
5. David Bowie - 20,588.2
6. Radiohead - 17,908.2
7. Bruce Springsteen - 14,867
8. Prince - 14,830.4
9. Marvin Gaye - 14,710.5
10. The Velvet Underground - 14,420.8
11. The Kinks - 11,873.6
12. Simon & Garfunkel - 11,530.3
13. The Who - 10,962.1
14. Pixies - 10,546.7
15. The Clash - 10,541.4
16. The Smiths - 10,348.7
17. OutKast - 9,895.3
18. Jimi Hendrix - 9,821.9
19. Led Zeppelin - 9,803.8
20. Nirvana - 9,547.5
21. R.E.M. - 9,237.9
22. U2 - 8,932
23. Joy Division - 8,485.5
24. Michael Jackson - 8,258.1
25. The Zombies - 7,818.1
26. Stevie Wonder - 7,685.1
27. Elvis Presley - 7,401.2
28. Arcade Fire - 7,095.3
29. New Order - 6,916.6
30. LCD Soundsystem - 6,485.5
31. Van Morrison - 6,238.7
32. John Lennon - 5,944.7
33. Pulp - 5,727
34. The Band - 5,472.7
35. Pavement - 5,469.9
36. Otis Redding - 5,410.1
37. The Cure - 5,300.3
38. Talking Heads - 5,180.7
39. Sufjan Stevens - 4,849.4
40. Oasis - 4,728.9
41. Sex Pistols - 4,318.3
42. The Doors - 4,282.8
43. The Police - 4,272.6
44. Chuck Berry - 4,263.6
45. The White Stripes - 4,261.2
46. Sly & The Family Stone - 4,256.1
47. Bob Marley & The Wailers - 4,228.7
48. Guns N' Roses - 4,165
49. Big Star - 4,145.1
50. Lou Reed - 4,123.2
51. Elvis Costello - 3,866.2
52. Pink Floyd - 3,644.5
53. Massive Attack - 3,637
54. Johnny Cash - 3,528.4
55. Sonic Youth - 3,517.7
56. Jeff Buckley - 3,514.9
57. Television - 3,496.8
58. My Bloody Valentine - 3,448.3
59. Sam Cooke - 3,394.8
60. Creedence Clearwater Revival - 3,369.7
61. Daft Punk - 3,335.3
62. Queen - 3,297.6
63. Gnarls Barkley - 3,254.8
64. Derek & The Dominos - 3,249.4
65. Aretha Franklin - 3,217.6
66. The Knife - 3,179.4
67. Smashing Pumpkins - 3,166.3
68. The Verve - 3,138
69. M.I.A. - 3,111.9
70. The Jackson 5 - 3,087.6
71. The Animals - 3,083.6
72. Portishead - 3,081.2
73. The Mamas & The Papas - 3,013.9
74. The Strokes - 2,962.5
75. The Stone Roses - 2,951.9
76. Nick Drake - 2,894.1
77. The Replacements - 2,883.4
78. TV on the Radio - 2,868.2
79. The Stooges - 2,850
80. Weezer - 2,812
81. Animal Collective - 2,727
82. Jay-Z - 2,684.5
83. Buzzcocks - 2,597
84. Eagles - 2,584.1
85. The Jam - 2,558.5
86. Paul McCartney/Wings - 2,529.1
87. Blur - 2,520.9
88. The Ronettes - 2,517.2
89. Love - 2,494.9
90. Ben E. King - 2,435.3
91. Beck - 2,284.5
92. The Avalanches - 2,280.1
93. James Brown - 2,233.8
94. Al Green - 2,214.6
95. Public Enemy - 2,197.9
96. Franz Ferdinand - 2,183.7
97. Bjork - 2,156.9
98. The La's - 2,147.9
99. Coldplay - 2,131.9
100. Billie Holiday - 2,018.6

Thanks for hard work Jackson, it was really fun to watch the results of this poll and I have to do here some research.

Best. Presentation. Ever.

Jackson, I know what you meant when you said that you expected more excitement, I've felt the same when I have hosted previous polls. It's always great to get a lot of comments.

However, admittedly I am one of many who have quietly followed this countdown, but with great excitement! Letting the results sink in place by place was a pure pleasure. Thank you so much!

As a newcomer, I've followed the results day by day. This was a wonderful coverage of the results Jackson! It's a pity I was too late to provide a list myself.

Next time, I'll be here to boost some specific artists a little bit and uphold others. Meanwhile, let me discover some artists and songs I didn't know (well enough) yet.

To add to the compliments regarding Jackson's presentation, I just want to point out that I thought his comments pertaining to the top songs were exceptional- they were just as good (if not better) than much of the AllMusic commentary (which is saying a lot).

1 2 3