Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Greatest Songs of All Time Poll

Henry
Nelson

I was thinking about putting a Radiohead song "Karma Police" or "Paraniod Andriod" interestingly two of their more Beatles influenced songs.

Some bands are accessible and clever, but not so innovative.

Others performers, perhaps Radiohead and Beck are lest enamored with accessibility and challenge their listeners. These are the performers who may be judged as most influential years from now. Do either Radiohead or Beck fit in to a "rock" genre?

I continue to consider putting "Creep" and "Loser" in my top 50. I'm a big fan of transitions, and Creep has some striking transitions in my opinion. It seems to me that the composition of "Loser" is not constrained by normative practices.

Everyone has influences. People like the Velvet Underground who I think are OK absorbed established techniques and were influenced by musicians before them. What came out was distinctive but it didn't come out of nothing. I think "Creep" sounds very much in the Alternative rock vein. My favorite Beck track is "New Pollution".

The first thing I look for in a song if it has good melodies and does it sound good like the guitars or the vocals. I don't always think how innovative a song is a requirement on how great song is.

Nelson

People need to realize that groups like the Kinks, The Stones, and the Yardbirds were making some of their greatest music and still were making a huge dent on the pop charts. Rock Music today is absent from the pop charts.

Radiohead are one of the most popular bands in the world while making great music...

Midaso
Nelson

People need to realize that groups like the Kinks, The Stones, and the Yardbirds were making some of their greatest music and still were making a huge dent on the pop charts. Rock Music today is absent from the pop charts.

Radiohead are one of the most popular bands in the world while making great music...

Radiohead are one of my favorite bands but for some reason they get criticized for being to influenced by other bands. In my opinion the more musicians you absorb the better band you are. It doesn't mean you are a copy cat band.

Midaso
Nelson

This is kind of misleading. At least in America, they're more of a cult band, a "musician's musician". The average pop fan probably has no idea who they are and if they do, their knowledge probably consists of "Creep", not "Pyramid Song". They sell albums, but I doubt most consumers are album-buyers like most AMers; the game has shifted to single downloads for just about everyone else.

I would argue that are few acts who are consistently producing quality hit singles; Kanye West was for a while, Lil Wayne has had a few but he is very inconsistent. Interestingly, I would say that, in hip-hop at least, the producer is more important than the rapper. Timbaland, The Neptunes, Scott Storch, Swizz Beatz, The-Dream and Tricky Stewart, etc., etc., have all produced a number of hits with a respectable AM-ranking. And I don't think it matters that they aren't "rock".

Nelson
Midaso
Nelson

Radiohead are one of my favorite bands but for some reason they get criticized for being to influenced by other bands. In my opinion the more musicians you absorb the better band you are. It doesn't mean you are a copy cat band.

I would have to say Radiohead are one of the least criticized bands for sounding like other bands.

Is there anybody working on a list that? So far I've only gotten 2 lists from this site (excluding mine) but I have 15 in all.

I can provide my list if you want it. But, prefer to give it to you next week.

50 Style Council My Ever Changing Moods
49 Genesis Behind The Lines
48 Yes I've Seen All Good People
47 Satriani, Joe The Crush of Love
46 OutKast Hey Ya
45 Lynyrd Skynyrd I Never Dreamed
44 Band The Weight
43 Arcade Fire Rebellion (Lies)
42 Metallica Enter Sandman
41 Roxy Music More Than This
40 Talking Heads Once in a Lifetime
39 Derek & The Dominos Layla
38 LCD Soundsystem Someone Great
37 Young, Neil Southern Man
36 Gabriel, Peter In Your Eyes
35 John, Elton Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
34 Crosby, Stills & Nash Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
33 Costello, Elvis (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
32 Queen Bohemian Rhapsody
31 New Order True Faith
30 Steely Dan Don't Take Me Alive
29 Nirvana Smells Like Teen Spirit
28 Coltrane, John My Favorite Things
27 Marley, Bob No Woman, No Cry
26 Mitchell, Joni Both Sides Now
25 Velvet Underground I'm Waiting For The Man
24 U2 I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
23 Jackson, Michael Beat It
22 Morrison, Van Moondance
21 Simon & Garfunkel Bridge Over Troubled Water
20 Radiohead Creep
19 R.E.M. Losing My Religion
18 Clash London Calling
17 Smiths How Soon Is Now?
16 Pink Floyd Us And Them
15 Franklin, Aretha Respect
14 Doors Light My Fire
13 Prince When Doves Cry
12 Who Behind Blue Eyes
11 Bowie, David Changes
10 Beatles Hey Jude
9 Wonder, Stevie As
8 Beach Boys Good Vibrations
7 Gaye, Marvin What's Going On
6 Springsteen, Bruce Born To Run
5 Dylan, Bob Like A Rolling Stone
4 Led Zeppelin Stairway To Heaven
3 Rolling Stones Sympathy For The Devil
2 Hendrix, Jimi All Along The Watchtower
1 Beatles Let It Be

listyguy
I also hate this modern crappy pop like Miley Cirus and the jonASS brothers.

You don't know what you are talking about. Miley is GREAT!!!

Don't hate.

Thanks for the list Henery. As for Madaline, if you are actually 6, you'll get over miley in like a year. If you are someone else just trying to be funny...

listyguy
Thanks for the list Henery.

I enjoy the Herman's Hermits spelling of my first name

listyguy
Thanks for the list Henery. As for Madeline, if you are actually 6, you'll get over miley in like a year. If you are someone else just trying to be funny...

She really is six and she really does think Miley is GREAT, but I had to help her with the technical stuff.

I would rather have her interested in (and loving) the music designed to appeal to her age group than not listening to music. It is kind of catchy. (For you purists, her brother, age 8, loves the Beatles best).

Madeline's Dad

She really is six and she really does think Miley is GREAT, but I had to help her with the technical stuff.

I would rather have her interested in (and loving) the music designed to appeal to her age group than not listening to music. It is kind of catchy. (For you purists, her brother, age 8, loves the Beatles best).

When is Madeline's dad going to provide listguy with a list?

This poll is now closed. results will begin shortly.