Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MEGA-CRITIC :COMPETITION FEBRUARY : THE CLUES

Guess (Deadline = 25th) the highest New Entry in this month´s Mega-Critic-Chart (Publication = 28th) as well as its position (as a tie-breaker) and enter the chance to win 2 CDs of your choice.

At the moment (21st) the best bets would be (in no particular order) :

A Kora and Guitar (Posthumous) from Mali

B Godfather of Rap´s first Album in 16 years

C Ethereous German Techno in love with Nature

D School of Language / The Week That Was

E Canadian Political Experimental Rock without Tra-La-La

And not to forget (Waiting in the wings) :

F The 3-Disc-CD from that Harp-Lady

G Dark Horses in Roaring Nights

Good Luck !!!

Re: MEGA-CRITIC :COMPETITION FEBRUARY : THE CLUES

Joanna Newsom Have One On Me, the F one, "the harp lady's triple disc"!

I'm just in love with that record! Reviews have been really positive, so far. I know it won't reach Ys's heights, but few could actually do that. I really hope critics, fans, admirers and people in general enjoy this. I also hope Rolling Stone doesn't complain about the length, they complained about Only Skin, imagine a 2 hours triple album. But so far, i'm loving, it's my favorite album of the year, already.

highest new entry: "Black Noise" by Pantha du Prince (C) on the 5th place

I know what A and B are. A is technically a 2005 album, just being released in America now.

I don't see any of them getting higher than Joanna Newsom. Let's say #4.

Don't forget Xiu Xiu and Jaga Jazzist, also with albums coming out this week.

HRS, at which position do you think Joana with her Harp will enter the Mega-Critic-Chart ???

STEFAN
HRS, at which position do you think Joana with her Harp will enter the Mega-Critic-Chart ???

Although there is competition (Yeasayer, Xiu Xiu, Massive Attack, The Soft Pack,
Pantha du Prince, Local Natives, Hot Chip, Gil Scott-Heron and even Corinne Bailey Rae), i really hope Have One On Me manage to be #1, so i'm betting at number one, february's #1 album. Inside the top 5 is already awesome, so i hope she manage at least that, since reviews so far have been all positive and really positive, i'm actually surprised since it's the follow up of one of the most critically acclaimed albums of the decade and it is a triple album, more than 2h of Joanna, that's not something you'll love listening at once. Another thing i wanted to know is about Megacritic: When you post the list, it will include only february releases or the "whole year so far"? Cause if it the latter, including the albums released last month, i hope she also manages to be inside the top 5, although the competition in my opinion is much bigger if you include January: Charlotte, Beach House, Vampire Weekend, Lindstrom, Spoon and Four Tet (I didn't see this coming!). All of them received a terrific positive reception.

Now a question to you guys: Is there any album released so far that you already see making a lot of EOYs? Ruling 2010?

I say Joanna at #3.

Go Joanna!

"I was tired of being drunk
My face cracked like a joke
So i swung through here
Like a brace of jack rabbits
with their necks all broke"

Ok i will try to stop posting about her that much (of my last 20 posts: 17 of them were about her!). I must be annoying someone!

No Scout Niblett in the clues ?

I'll go with Local Natives at #4

Joanna Newsom at #2.

I guess I'll take Ms. Newsom at #5 then.

Joanna at no. 6

HRS

Now a question to you guys: Is there any album released so far that you already see making a lot of EOYs? Ruling 2010?

I don't think 2010 is going to be anything like 2009 where the critical #1 of the year came out in the first two weeks. I think most of the critical favorites are going to come out toward the middle of the year like usual, and I don't think end of the year polls are going to be the least bit predictable.

I think Beach House has a good enough record to make the top 5. I'm just going to say Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band at #5 just because the name of the band is so ridiculous that it will probably stick in the critics heads and go down as one of the craziest band names in music history. Indie bands love having weird and wackys names for the group but this band takes the cake. Sorry Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin! and Natalie Portmans Shaved Head