Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Greatest Songs of All Time Poll

Hello. I have a webstie, where I am conduting a poll on the greatest songs of all time. I decided to do this after I read the joke of a list at rollingstone.com. If you wish to contribute to my list, please post what you think the 50 greatest songs of all time are. Or, you could email me what you think the 50 greatest songs of all time are at listyguy@gmail.com. This is NOT a favorite song list.

Re: Greatest Songs of All Time Poll

Please provide a deadline.

Henry
Please provide a deadline.

Ok. The Deadline is March 20. This Deadline can be extended.

what's the website?

Michael
what's the website?

Musicalblogs.webs.com

My list

1. Stairway To Heaven, Led Zeppelin
2. Like a Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan
3. Satisfaction, The Rolling Stones
4. Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen
5. Let it Be, The Beatles
6. Johnny B. Goode, Chuck Berry
7. Purple Haze, Jimi Hendrix
8. My Generation, the Who
9. Hound Dog, Elvis Presley
10.That’ll be the Day, Buddy Holly
11.You Really Got Me, the Kinks
12.Strawberry Fields forever, The Beatles
13.Respect, Aretha Franklin
14.Layla, Derek and the Dominoes
15.Hotel California, Eagles
16.Papa’s Got a Bran new Bag, James Brown
17.A Day in the Life, the Beatles
18.Superstition, Stevie wonder
19.Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen
20.Bridge over troubled water, Simon and Garfunkel
21.Smells Like teen spirit, Nirvana
22.California Girls, Beach boys
23.Gimme shelter, The Rolling Stones
24.Rock around the clock, Billy Haley
25.Born to be wild, Steppenwolf
26.Anarchy in the UK, sex Pistols
27.Heartbreak hotel, Elvis Presley
28.Changes, David Bowie
29.Sunday Bloody Sunday, U2
30.Sweet Child O’ Mine, Guns N’ Roses
31.Jailhouse Rock, Elvis Presley
32.I want you back, Jackson 5
33.Proud Mary, CCR
34.When Doves Cry, Prince
35.Whole Lotta Love, Led Zeppelin
36.Billie Jean, Michael Jackson
37.Every Breath You Take, The Police
38.Jumpin jack flash, Rolling Stones
39.Brown eyed girl, Van Morrison
40.All along the watchtower, Jimi Hendrix
41.In my Life, The Beatles
42.Dream on, Aerosmith
43.Mr. Tambourine man, Bob Dylan
44.I still haven’t found what I’m looking for, U2
45.American Pie, Don McClean
46.London Calling, The Clash
47.No Women No Cry, Bob Marley
48.What I'd Say, Ray Charles
49.Yesterday, The Beatles
50.Back in Black, AC/DC

Re: My list

define "greatest". do you mean most important and influential or just great regardless of influence? and just being honest here but i really don't see what distinguishes your list from Rolling Stone's, it has virtually all the same songs.

Michael
define "greatest". do you mean most important and influential or just great regardless of influence? and just being honest here but i really don't see what distinguishes your list from Rolling Stone's, it has virtually all the same songs.

First off, about Rolling Stone's list, they have a horrible ordering off the songs, but include mostly the right songs. But, they include trash like Hey Ya over Livin on A Prayer and American Pie.
And by great, I mean a song with influence, impact, artistry or all three.

listyguy
they include trash like Hey Ya over Livin on A Prayer and American Pie.

I'm afraid I prefer the "trash".

Brad
listyguy

I'm afraid I prefer the "trash".

Sorry to offend. I was only making a point.

listyguy
Sorry to offend. I was only making a point.

no offence taken- you should be warned this is a very OutKast friendly forum!

listyguy

First off, about Rolling Stone's list, they have a horrible ordering off the songs, but include mostly the right songs. But, they include trash like Hey Ya over Livin on A Prayer and American Pie.

terrific.. dear brother brick, is that you?

listyguy
Michael

And by great, I mean a song with influence, impact, artistry or all three.

As far as the ordering is concerned that's not a matter of choice by RS Magazine, it's an amalgam of several hundred lists put together so there won't be as much of an exact objectivity in the placement of songs as much as a general consensus that "these songs around here are generally better than the ones a lot lower" and what you're trying to accomplish is the same as them so if you want the list to end up looking like the one you already have, then why organize a poll in the first place? Cause it won't end up in the same order.

Also, if your goal is to have an objectively "great" and "influential" list you need to familiarize yourself with more types of music because there's an incredible amount of highly influential musicians that your list completely ignores that have had incalculably more impact upon music than, say, the Eagles. While the song "Hotel California" may be a good example of country rock it didn't impact music in any way, whereas Bob Dylan initiated the whole genre of country rock with his album John Wesley Harding. Now I don't necessarily think that any of the songs on JWH are better than Hotel California (but when it comes to the albums there's not question I go for JWH) but they actually started a musical movement. Artists who are just as important as those on your list are: The Velvet Underground, Brian Eno, King Crimson, Captain Beefheart, Can, The Stooges, Neu!, Kraftwerk, Television, Suicide, Pink Floyd, Pixies, Portishead, Nine Inch Nails, Sonic Youth, Talk Talk, Talking Heads, Slint, The Flaming Lips, Radiohead, Joanna Newsom, Animal Collective, Arcade Fire, Wu-Tang Clan, Nas, Public Enemy, Madvillain, Eminem, Dr. Dre, NWA, Metallica, Megadeath and Iron Maiden. With that many other incredibly influential bands it seems unlikely that the Beatles made the #5 and #12 songs of all time (according to you).

As far as artistry is concerned, "Hey Ya!" has a far larger claim than you think. It's not the most complex song ever made, but it certainly employs more musical devices than "Livin on a Prayer". From Wikipedia:

"Hey Ya!" is a song in the key of G major. Each cadential six-measure phrase is constructed using a change of meter on the fourth measure and uses a I–IV–V–VI chord progression. G major and C major chords are played for one and two 4/4 measures respectively. André 3000 then uses a deceptive cadence after a 2/4 measure of the dominant D major chord, leading into two 4/4 measures of an E major chord. The song moves at 160 beats per minute, and André's vocal range spans more than an octave and a half, from B3 to G5.

most of this is typical of pop music (the I-IV-V-IV chord progression and al the chords it discusses are part of that progression) but it differs from most pop music by having meter switches which are rare in pop to say the least. Also, the song has the breakdown (ICE COLD!) section and is not simply verse-chorus-verse like "Livin on a Prayer".

hope this helps

I think you raised a lot of good points, Michael. However, how many of the artists you listed actually have a career-defining song good enough to be top 50 all time?

The Velvet Underground: Should definitely be featured; "Heroin," "I'm Waiting for the Man," or "Sister Ray" would make sense.

Brian Eno: I love him, but which song do you choose?

King Crimson: "21st Century Schizoid Man" is one of my favorites and is borderline T50.

Captain Beefheart: None of his tracks stand out.

Can: I know they made your #1 song, but I just don't think it belongs this high.

The Stooges: "I Wanna Be Your Dog" and "Search and Destroy" are borderline.

Neu!: Haven't listened to them.

Kraftwerk: "The Model" or "Trans-Europe Express" are borderline.

Television: "Marquee Moon" is a slam-dunk inclusion.

Suicide: Haven't listened to them.

Pink Floyd: Don't like them that much, but "Wish You Were Here" or "Comfortably Numb" would fit in.

Pixies: "Debaser," for sure.

Portishead: "Glory Box" made my T50, but does not belong in this sort of list.

Nine Inch Nails: No way

Sonic Youth: "Teen Age Riot" for sure.

Talk Talk: Great band, but what song really stands out?

Talking Heads: "Once in a Lifetime" is a T20 song, easily.

Slint: I love "Good Morning, Captain," but it doesn't belong.

The Flaming Lips: "Do You Realize??" is the only song that could be included, but it shouldn't.

Radiohead: "Paranoid Android," definitely. You could make a case for a few others.

Joanna Newsom: What song stands out?

Animal Collective: Top 50 of the 2000s, but not all time. Panda Bear's "Bros" should probably place above all their tracks anyway except for maybe "My Girls."

Arcade Fire: Unfortunately their great songs cancel each other out. How do you choose among "Neighborhood #1," "Wake Up," and "Rebellion (Lies)?"

Wu-Tang Clan: I love "C.R.E.A.M." Not top 50 material though.

Nas: No consensus on his best song from Illmatic.

Public Enemy: "Fight the Power" definitely belongs.

Madvillain: "All Caps" is great, but doesn't have enough influence/greatness to make even the decade's T50.

Eminem: "Stan" is borderline, I guess.

Dr. Dre: Nuthin But a G Thang is borderline.

NWA: "Straight Outta Compton" is borderline.

Metallica: I don't know about T50, but "Master of Puppets" deserves inclusion.

Megadeth and Iron Maiden: "Holy Wars" and "Hallowed Be Thy Name" placed on my list, but T50 is obviously a stretch.

Most of these artists would have a better case for a greatest albums list than this one. Great artists, though, all worth listening to.

One issue I had with listyguy's list that no one else has raised is it extremely sparse on songs from the 80s and 90s and includes nothing from the 00s. If we're looking for an objective songs list to rival RS's, why fall into the same era bias they are often criticized for? More recent songs like "Blue Monday," "Love Will Tear Us Apart," "How Soon is Now?," "Common People," "B.O.B," "All My Friends," as well as the ones I listed above are certainly great enough to be on the list, and are underrated by RS.

that's probably true some of those artist are song oriented, i think i was just caught up in the moment trying to make a broader point about influential artist that i lost sight of the fact it's a song list. Also, that list wasn't definitive to what i think deserves mention, there are other artist I just didn't think to mention (Ramones, Nick Drake, whatever).

for Brian Eno i would include "St. Elmo's Fire" which has my favorite guitar solo (played by robert fripp from king crimson). And is a highlight to Another Green World. Perhaps not top 50, but a fantastic song nonetheless

Captain Beefheart may not have a stand-out track perse but I've always found "Frownland" to perfectly embody Trout Mask Replica and it has possibly my favorite lyrics ever.

Can I think has a legitimate claim to a song, "Halleluwah" being my favorite song ever, have you heard it? it's insane!

Stooges, I can't really think of anything that's THAT fantastic song-wise so i concede that

Neu!'s song "Hallogallo" invented the "motorik" beat sound that you can here in bands like Stereolab and Tortoise. AMG describes it: "While here in the States people were flipping out over "Radar Love" by Golden Earring, if they'd known about this first Neu! disc, they would never have bothered." which isn't entirely true, though it would if they stopped after Hallogallo. haha

Kraftwerk i haven't listed enough to so I couldn't say, they got lumped in with my saving-the-forgotten attempt

Suicide, many would disagree but AMG describes "Frankie Teardrop" as "one of the most harrowing songs ever recorded" it's unstable and freaky as hell.

Pink Floyd I prefer the earlier stuff like "Interstellar Overdrive" but "Wish You Were Here" is fantastic too.

Nine Inch Nails are awesome and i love "Closer"

Talk Talk's biggest song has always been "After the Flood" which is a Post-Rock epic

Slint i think "Breadcrumb Trail" is great

The Flaming Lips, I don't actually like Yoshimi that much and can't really think of a song THAT great so I concede

Joanna Newsom I bitterly concede only cause i think Ys is perfect but couldn't say what song...

Animal Collective, "Bros" is certainly fantastic but I think "Fireworks" also deserves mention, perhaps not all time top 50, but i'll be dammed if it's not a great song

Wu-Tang Clan, I think 36 Chambers is rap's masterpiece, so many of those songs have so much energy I could nominate almost any one of them

Nas' delivery on "Life's a Bitch" i think is flawless and his first lyrics after AZ's section are brilliant

Madvillain I concede, that album isn't song oriented at all.

Dr. Dre, I prefer "Let Me Ride" which I think is so fantastic.

Metallica's Master of Puppets is a good choice but I don't know enough to be sure.

I don't know much about Megadeath and Iron Maiden, I just included them to illustrate the lack of metal.

"St. Elmo's Fire" is amazing. I have heard "Halleluwah" once when I listened to Tago Mago, but I haven't gotten back to it. I'm sure it's an excellent song; I just don't know about it placing here.

Other potential artists for the list include Black Sabbath (who I think should absolutely make it, "Paranoid" would be a likely choice but I love "Symptom of the Universe"), LCD Soundsystem ("All My Friends" or "Losing My Edge"), New Order ("Blue Monday" for sure, but "Bizarre Love Triangle" is equally good), Leonard Cohen ("Suzanne"), The Smiths ("There is a Light...," "How Soon is Now?," or "This Charming Man"), Grandmaster Flash ("The Message"), Sam Cooke ("A Change is Gonna Come") and maybe My Bloody Valentine ("Soon" or "Only Shallow").

i'd agree with all those except the Sam Cooke, i really can't stand that song and maybe "This Charming Man" i've never found it to be that distinguished, though i do like it

Excellent comments from Michael. I may not agree with every single point made; but now want to make sure that I include a Metallica song in my top 50. I've been listening to a lot more varieties of music including many of the artists you recommended for consideration.

The listguy has certainly got the discussion rolling. This discussion is likely to continue to be very interesting.

For me, there is a tension to selecting artists for "Greatest Songs" list in weighing how much I enjoy listening to a particular song versus how influential an artist has been on other artists or had another sort of impact. I also tend to look for superb musical performers, e.g., John Coltrane, Return to Forever, Keith Jarrett and Joe Satriani.

Unless an artist cited as influential also provides songs that are reasonably accessible to a wider audience, I am not so sure that the influence attributed to them is warranted. For example, Captain Beefheart. Many of CB's songs border on annoying for most folks. The lyrics and music is clever enough; but is that sufficient? Not in my view.

I am not a giant fan of rap, so my list will be sorely lacking there. But, I continue to listen to the hip/hop and rap songs recommended in this forum and elsewhere, so perhaps in a few months my view will change.

Finally, please note that it is not at all difficult for me to envision the Beatles have more than one song in top 20 or even in the top ten, especially when you consider the impact and influence they have had on music over the past 45 years.

listyguy

Henry
Excellent comments from Michael. I may not agree with every single point made; but now want to make sure that I include a Metallica song in my top 50. I've been listening to a lot more varieties of music including many of the artists you recommended for consideration.

The listguy has certainly got the discussion rolling. This discussion is likely to continue to be very interesting.

For me, there is a tension to selecting artists for "Greatest Songs" list in weighing how much I enjoy listening to a particular song versus how influential an artist has been on other artists or had another sort of impact. I also tend to look for superb musical performers, e.g., John Coltrane, Return to Forever, Keith Jarrett and Joe Satriani.

Unless an artist cited as influential also provides songs that are reasonably accessible to a wider audience, I am not so sure that the influence attributed to them is warranted. For example, Captain Beefheart. Many of CB's songs border on annoying for most folks. The lyrics and music is clever enough; but is that sufficient? Not in my view.

I am not a giant fan of rap, so my list will be sorely lacking there. But, I continue to listen to the hip/hop and rap songs recommended in this forum and elsewhere, so perhaps in a few months my view will change.

Finally, please note that it is not at all difficult for me to envision the Beatles have more than one song in top 20 or even in the top ten, especially when you consider the impact and influence they have had on music over the past 45 years.

Thanks, Henry! and btw, if anyone finds Captain Beefheart annoying or hard to get into i HIGHLY suggest listening to his album "Shiny Beast" it's very accessible but still maintains a little of the weirdness. I mean, most people like "Rain Dogs" and "Shiny Beast" is less weird than that. "Tropical Hot Dog Night" is really catchy and hilarious and "Harry Irene" is a piano song that downright conventional, even the singing. His next best not-so-weird album is his first, "Safe As Milk" which is also awesome Delta Blues inspired Rock.

listyguy

You're more than welcome to your own opinions, but on this forum very very very few people will agree with statements like this. Since a few other people bought this quote up and dismissed you, I feel like you're owed an explanation.

"Hey Ya" is a great uniter. It combines elements of funk, rock, hip-hop, and pop into a song with fairly unusual structure, and the finished product is full of catchy hooks. More to the point though, is that "Hey Ya" is as rewarding the 100th listen as it is immediately accessible the first. One of the reasons OutKast is an incredibly acclaimed artist is because of their ability to combine genre's and experiment musically while still sounding clean and coherent.

As for the two songs you mentioned, I'm afraid "Livin' on a Prayer" and "American Pie" have very few advocates on this forum. It's impossible to deny that there's a huge market for songs like "Livin' On a Prayer"; songs with big guitars and loud singable choruses, it's almost completely worthless in terms of the three factors you cited (influence, impact, artistry).

Looking at your own T50 list, it's clear that you follow The Classic Rock Manifesto of "I hate all new music." Here, you'll find a lot of people who balance "the classics" with alternative rock and hip-hop. I personally think you should check out masterpieces like "Love Will Tear Us Apart", "Common People", and "All My Friends." These might give you a more rich and satisfying listening experience.

I think we're being too harsh on listyguy! My list would probably look like the exact opposite of his, but all opinions should be welcome here.

Moonbeam
I think we're being too harsh on listyguy! My list would probably look like the exact opposite of his, but all opinions should be welcome here.
Yes, I don't normally post stupid smileys in my first post to a newcomer in the forum. It's just that in my view "Hey Ya" is one of the best songs ever while "Livin' on a Prayer" and "American Pie" are two of the most overrated songs. I almost can't think of an example with other songs that would provoke me more.

Anyway, welcome to Acclaimed Music Forum listyguy!

With respect to the discussion of "Hey Ya" I wondered why the D major chord was referred to as "dominant."

This is what I found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominant_chord

The dominant is the fifth degree (pitch) of a musical scale. The dominant (diatonic function) has the role of creating instability that requires the tonic or goal-tone for release.

For example, in the C major scale (white keys on a piano, starting with C), the dominant is the note G; and the dominant chord uses the notes G, B, and D.

In music theory, the dominant chord is symbolized by the Roman numeral V if it is within the major mode (because it is a major triad, for example G-B-D in C major) or v if it is within the minor mode (because it is a minor triad, for example G-B♭-D in C minor, unless of course the B♭ is sharpened to B natural, as will often occur since B♮ is the leading tone for the C minor scale).

I think that "American Pie" merits some praise for the artistry of its lyrics and its impact on other song writers and performers, e.g., Roberta Flack - "Killing Me Softly" - admittedly not one of my favorites. American Pie was a big hit and was not over-produced or a product of corporate rock. But, musically I do not find any inspiring innovation in American Pie that is the key for me in terms of artistry. I also find that Living On a Prayer, while catchy enough, does not really make the grade on the artistry, impact and influence analysis. But, this is just one person's view and my view is very adaptable to new data.

Thanks. I've blogged on rolling stone before, and it's exactly the oppostie there. Everyone hates Hey Ya! and most other rap.

I think it's an age thing. I'm not the biggest fan of rap because of the 'gansta' affectation, but I put stuff by bands like Public Enemy and Outkast reasonably high on my lists. But, my uncle immediately dismisses all hip-hop as 'crap' and will go out of his way to say so.

I think, with some exceptions like Robert Christgau obviously, to be open minded to rap you have to have been young while it was popular. (And I would probably predict the average age of a Rolling Stone follower to be at least 50.)

BillAdama

I think, with some exceptions like Robert Christgau obviously, to be open minded to rap you have to have been young while it was popular. (And I would probably predict the average age of a Rolling Stone follower to be at least 50.)

I'm 14, and there are two other 14 year olds as well as a sixteen year old and a 25 year old on RS.

listyguy
BillAdama

I'm 14, and there are two other 14 year olds as well as a sixteen year old and a 25 year old on RS.

He's only fourteen. When I was fourteen I was listening to Poison and Skid Row

listyguy
I'm 14

This makes a lot of sense to me. When I was 14, I exclusively listened to classic rock. When my desire for new and exciting music brought me to this forum, I couldn't believe how many incredible artists - ranging from all genres - I had yet to discover. I hope you continue to post here, and maybe check out some of the songs and albums in our site polls that you're unfamiliar with. It's a lot of fun!

ChrisF
listyguy
BillAdama

I still like Skiw Row.

Moonbeam
ChrisF
listyguy
BillAdama

I still like Skiw Row.

Interestingly, speaking of Outkast and Skid Row, I saw an episode of MTV Cribs w/ Big Boi and they were showing his CD collection. He said something to the effect of " Everybody thinks I only listen to rap and hip hop, but I listen to it all." And then he pulled out a Skid Row cd!

I will listen to rap, but I'm not a huge fan. I give the respect to guys like 2pac, Run-DMC, Public Enemy. But guys like Black eyed peas and Eminem are just bad. I alsp hate this modern crappy pop like Miley Cirus and the jonASS brothers.

listyguy
I will listen to rap, but I'm not a huge fan. I give the respect to guys like 2pac, Run-DMC, Public Enemy. But guys like Black eyed peas and Eminem are just bad. I alsp hate this modern crappy pop like Miley Cirus and the jonASS brothers.

Now you're speaking this forum's language. Except I think that alot of people would disagree on M&M. But, god curse those Black Eyed Peas. The worst musical concoction of all time.

These are my songs. I have to put "Tomorrow Never Knows" because in my mind the sounds, the textures, the and the recording techniques go way beyond what was normally associated with pop and rock music. They basically one -upped everyone in rock music with "Tomorrow Never Knows" and that includes Frank Zappa. Instead of the usual backdrop of standard rock instruments they created a backdrop of psychedelic sounds using a series of loops, drones, and electronic effects. I think they even took a segment of "Taxman" and put it backwards on "Tomorow Never Knows". The song influenced everyone from Hendrix to the Byrds to even modern electronic artists like Kraftwerk and the Chemical Brothers.

1- Tomorrow Never Knows - The Beatles
2- Eight Miles High- The Byrds
3- You Really Got Me- The Kink
4- Stairway To Heaven- Led Zeppelin
5- Satisfaction, The Rolling Stones
6- Strawberry Fields Forever- The Beatles
7- My Generation, the Who
8- Shapes of Things- The Yardbirds
9- Third Stone From the Sun- Jimi Hendrix Experience
10- Like a Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan
11- All Along The Watchtower, Jimi Hendrix
12- Comfortably Numb Pink Floyd
13- Long Tally Sally- Little Richard
14- Whiter Shade of Pale- Procol Harum
15- Born to be wild, Steppenwolf
16- In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida - Iron Butterfly
17- Good Vibrations - Beach Boys
18- Light My Fire - Doors
19- Venus In Furs - The Velvet Underground
20- A Day In The Life - Beatles
21- 21st Century Schizoid Man - King Crimson
22- Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
23- The End- The Doors
24- White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane
25- Astronomy Domine - Pink Floyd
26- Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry

27- Journey to the Center of the Mind- the Amboy Dukes
28- Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
29- Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
30- Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen
31- Layla - Derek & the Dominos
32- Louie Louie - The Kingsmen
33- Suite: Judy Blue Eyes - Crosby, Stills and Nash
34- American Pie - Don McLean
35- Space Oddity - David Bowie
36- Baba O'Riley - The Who
37- Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
38- Won't Get Fooled Again - Who
39- Hey Jude - Beatles
40- Hound dog –Elvis Presley
41- Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
42- Roundabout - Yes
43- For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield
44- The House Of The Rising Sun - Animals
45- Paranoid- Black Sabbath
46- Sympathy for the Devil- The Rolling Stones.
47- Nights In White Satin - The Moody Blues
48- Blitzkrieg - Ramones
49- I Can See for Miles- The Who
50- Psychotic Reaction - Count Five

Dad?

I'm one of the oldest folks submitting lists on AM, and my draft list includes more songs from the 90's and 00's than I've seen on the two lists submitted so far. Some of us are more patient in allowing for these "new" tunes to ripen for a decade or two before we prematurely place them on our All-time greatest lists. Others are less circumspect perhaps.

Henry
I'm one of the oldest folks submitting lists on AM, and my draft list includes more songs from the 90's and 00's than I've seen on the two lists submitted so far. Some of us are more patient in allowing for these "new" tunes to ripen for a decade or two before we prematurely place them on our All-time greatest lists. Others are less circumspect perhaps.

I was thinking about putting a Radiohead song "Karma Police" or "Paraniod Andriod" interestingly two of their more Beatles influenced songs.

I think the thing is Rock Music is not as popular as hip-hip or dance orientated pop music. Rock Music was the thing as recent as Brit-Pop and alternative rock but it's popularity has been surpassed. I like bands like Animal Collective or Coldplay but where are the great bands?

The Beatles made the strange, risky and unmatchable transition from been completely Pop-y to convert into a great experimental and creative band. From "Love, Love me Do" to Sgt. Pepper there was a total risky transtition that end up well. Shame that not a single pop-rock band has not really able to do that today.

People need to realize that groups like the Kinks, The Stones, and the Yardbirds were making some of their greatest music and still were making a huge dent on the pop charts. Rock Music today is absent from the pop charts.

Nelson

I was thinking about putting a Radiohead song "Karma Police" or "Paraniod Andriod" interestingly two of their more Beatles influenced songs.

Some bands are accessible and clever, but not so innovative.

Others performers, perhaps Radiohead and Beck are lest enamored with accessibility and challenge their listeners. These are the performers who may be judged as most influential years from now. Do either Radiohead or Beck fit in to a "rock" genre?

I continue to consider putting "Creep" and "Loser" in my top 50. I'm a big fan of transitions, and Creep has some striking transitions in my opinion. It seems to me that the composition of "Loser" is not constrained by normative practices.

Nelson

People need to realize that groups like the Kinks, The Stones, and the Yardbirds were making some of their greatest music and still were making a huge dent on the pop charts. Rock Music today is absent from the pop charts.

Radiohead are one of the most popular bands in the world while making great music...

Henry
Nelson

Others performers, perhaps Radiohead and Beck are lest enamored with accessibility and challenge their listeners. These are the performers who may be judged as most influential years from now. Do either Radiohead or Beck fit in to a "rock" genre?

I continue to consider putting "Creep" and "Loser" in my top 50. I'm a big fan of transitions, and Creep has some striking transitions in my opinion. It seems to me that the composition of "Loser" is not constrained by normative practices.

I would probably have Creep or Paranoid Andriod in my top 100.

Henry
Nelson

Everyone has influences. People like the Velvet Underground who I think are OK absorbed established techniques and were influenced by musicians before them. What came out was distinctive but it didn't come out of nothing. I think "Creep" sounds very much in the Alternative rock vein. My favorite Beck track is "New Pollution".

The first thing I look for in a song if it has good melodies and does it sound good like the guitars or the vocals. I don't always think how innovative a song is a requirement on how great song is.

I fear listyguy's head might explode if I contribued to this.

Midaso
Nelson

Radiohead are one of the most popular bands in the world while making great music...

Radiohead are one of my favorite bands but for some reason they get criticized for being to influenced by other bands. In my opinion the more musicians you absorb the better band you are. It doesn't mean you are a copy cat band.

Moonbeam

I would like to see your list. It's probably different from my list but that's OK. It would be boring if everone had the same songs. I doubt everyone would agree on my top 10 songs.

Midaso
Nelson

This is kind of misleading. At least in America, they're more of a cult band, a "musician's musician". The average pop fan probably has no idea who they are and if they do, their knowledge probably consists of "Creep", not "Pyramid Song". They sell albums, but I doubt most consumers are album-buyers like most AMers; the game has shifted to single downloads for just about everyone else.

I would argue that are few acts who are consistently producing quality hit singles; Kanye West was for a while, Lil Wayne has had a few but he is very inconsistent. Interestingly, I would say that, in hip-hop at least, the producer is more important than the rapper. Timbaland, The Neptunes, Scott Storch, Swizz Beatz, The-Dream and Tricky Stewart, etc., etc., have all produced a number of hits with a respectable AM-ranking. And I don't think it matters that they aren't "rock".

Moonbeam

I would like to see your list. The end list needs a diversity of songs to enhance it's apeal.

Nelson
Midaso
Nelson

Radiohead are one of my favorite bands but for some reason they get criticized for being to influenced by other bands. In my opinion the more musicians you absorb the better band you are. It doesn't mean you are a copy cat band.

I would have to say Radiohead are one of the least criticized bands for sounding like other bands.

Is there anybody working on a list that? So far I've only gotten 2 lists from this site (excluding mine) but I have 15 in all.

I can provide my list if you want it. But, prefer to give it to you next week.

50 Style Council My Ever Changing Moods
49 Genesis Behind The Lines
48 Yes I've Seen All Good People
47 Satriani, Joe The Crush of Love
46 OutKast Hey Ya
45 Lynyrd Skynyrd I Never Dreamed
44 Band The Weight
43 Arcade Fire Rebellion (Lies)
42 Metallica Enter Sandman
41 Roxy Music More Than This
40 Talking Heads Once in a Lifetime
39 Derek & The Dominos Layla
38 LCD Soundsystem Someone Great
37 Young, Neil Southern Man
36 Gabriel, Peter In Your Eyes
35 John, Elton Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
34 Crosby, Stills & Nash Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
33 Costello, Elvis (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
32 Queen Bohemian Rhapsody
31 New Order True Faith
30 Steely Dan Don't Take Me Alive
29 Nirvana Smells Like Teen Spirit
28 Coltrane, John My Favorite Things
27 Marley, Bob No Woman, No Cry
26 Mitchell, Joni Both Sides Now
25 Velvet Underground I'm Waiting For The Man
24 U2 I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
23 Jackson, Michael Beat It
22 Morrison, Van Moondance
21 Simon & Garfunkel Bridge Over Troubled Water
20 Radiohead Creep
19 R.E.M. Losing My Religion
18 Clash London Calling
17 Smiths How Soon Is Now?
16 Pink Floyd Us And Them
15 Franklin, Aretha Respect
14 Doors Light My Fire
13 Prince When Doves Cry
12 Who Behind Blue Eyes
11 Bowie, David Changes
10 Beatles Hey Jude
9 Wonder, Stevie As
8 Beach Boys Good Vibrations
7 Gaye, Marvin What's Going On
6 Springsteen, Bruce Born To Run
5 Dylan, Bob Like A Rolling Stone
4 Led Zeppelin Stairway To Heaven
3 Rolling Stones Sympathy For The Devil
2 Hendrix, Jimi All Along The Watchtower
1 Beatles Let It Be

listyguy
I also hate this modern crappy pop like Miley Cirus and the jonASS brothers.

You don't know what you are talking about. Miley is GREAT!!!

Don't hate.

Thanks for the list Henery. As for Madaline, if you are actually 6, you'll get over miley in like a year. If you are someone else just trying to be funny...

listyguy
Thanks for the list Henery.

I enjoy the Herman's Hermits spelling of my first name

listyguy
Thanks for the list Henery. As for Madeline, if you are actually 6, you'll get over miley in like a year. If you are someone else just trying to be funny...

She really is six and she really does think Miley is GREAT, but I had to help her with the technical stuff.

I would rather have her interested in (and loving) the music designed to appeal to her age group than not listening to music. It is kind of catchy. (For you purists, her brother, age 8, loves the Beatles best).

Madeline's Dad

She really is six and she really does think Miley is GREAT, but I had to help her with the technical stuff.

I would rather have her interested in (and loving) the music designed to appeal to her age group than not listening to music. It is kind of catchy. (For you purists, her brother, age 8, loves the Beatles best).

When is Madeline's dad going to provide listguy with a list?

This poll is now closed. results will begin shortly.