Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Next site update

As I also mentioned in another thread, there have been many delays in the past and I don't like to postpone the updates. This time I say that the next update will be in November 2010. Hopefully it will be earlier than that but I don't promise anything.

Re: Next site update

Just wondering, what will this update entail? 2008 songs, 2009 albums/songs and the decade lists?

And take your time, there's no rush as far as I'm concerned.

Stephan
Just wondering, what will this update entail? 2008 songs, 2009 albums/songs and the decade lists?

And take your time, there's no rush as far as I'm concerned.
Yes, and some all-time lists as well.

Well Henrik, I eagerly await this update!

Awesome, Henrik! Let me know if you want any help regarding R.

Can we have some sort of contest to guess the update?

Now it's like an annual update ala theyshootpictures, eh?

But yeah, take your time. With another mouth to feed and a new human to raise, time is precious. I prefer you pace yourself and give a careful, comprehensive update later than rushing anything to churn it out sooner. Cheers!

The top 3000 albums list was recently updated and I've been waiting for the update of the top 3000 songs. Is that going to happen soon or are you leaving that for the next update later in the year (November).

keith
The top 3000 albums list was recently updated and I've been waiting for the update of the top 3000 songs. Is that going to happen soon or are you leaving that for the next update later in the year (November).
In the next update (later in the year).

So we have to wait 3 more months? =(

RADIOHEADSMAN
So we have to wait 3 more months? =(

As you might be able to guess, updating a site like this takes a lot of work - exponentially more with each passing year. Also, when Henrik started this site back in 2001, his life was a LOT different than it is now, to say the least, so - in the words of FARGO's Jerry Lundegaard - there's that on top of it. I, for one, am impressed and grateful that he's still committed to doing an annual update at all - even as I wonder how long he might want to keep doing so.

I'm hoping we don't necessarily have to wait until November for the next one myself. But the answer is, it'll take as long as it has to.

Here's the situation:
I haven't done much work on the update so far. There are lots of reasons for this.

1. Spending time with my family.
2. I love to participate in the forum polls, and this results in a lot of work with personal lists instead of AM lists.
3. After several years of too much time at the computer, I've got signals from my neck and my back that I need to slow down a bit.
4. I like movies too much.

I planned to focus on the site update after the summer but now we have bought a house (a year or so earlier than I had thought), and with the two kids and now also a house I realise that I will not have much time for the update. I no longer think that I will be able to include any all-time lists this time, but I still plan to make an update with all the EOY and EOD lists from the spreadsheets. Perhaps it will only be an albums update again. For a 2011 update I will prepare a spreadsheet where some of you hopefully will help me fill in all-time lists.

Henrik
Here's the situation:
I haven't done much work on the update so far. There are lots of reasons for this.

2. I love to participate in the forum polls, and this results in a lot of work with personal lists instead of AM lists.
3. After several years of too much time at the computer, I've got signals from my neck and my back that I need to slow down a bit.

I planned to focus on the site update after the summer but now we have bought a house (a year or so earlier than I had thought), and with the two kids and now also a house I realise that I will not have much time for the update. I no longer think that I will be able to include any all-time lists this time, but I still plan to make an update with all the EOY and EOD lists from the spreadsheets. Perhaps it will only be an albums update again. For a 2011 update I will prepare a spreadsheet where some of you hopefully will help me fill in all-time lists.

amd no one else could take over?

Crap. I better stop running polls.

RADIOHEADSMAN
Henrik
Here's the situation:

Why don't you show some initiative?

RADIOHEADSMAN
Henrik
Here's the situation:

I just heard from Radiohead. They don't want you to be their man anymore.

In all seriousness, though, it's like I said before Henrik posted - if anything, we should all be grateful that he still wants to maintain this site at all, given everything he's got on his plate.

The one thing I was hoping for this year was an update that incorporated the EOD and EOY lists, even if nothing else. This would create, to my mind, a pretty definitive, authoritative list of the most acclaimed albums of all time through the end of 2009. And it looks like that's exactly what we're going to get. So I'm happy. Anything else would just have been icing on the very rich cake we've been enjoying for the last decade. If that's not enough, create your own damn website.

Henrik
Here's the situation:
I haven't done much work on the update so far.
Perhaps it will only be an albums update again.

Maybe that's the best way to approach it: do smaller partial updates of the most important stuff.

What exactly are the technical difficulties in producing an update? I ask because I think my computer programming skills have gotten to the point where I could help.

If there is anyone who could help Henrik out a lot- who has sufficient computer skills and knowledge of how he compiles the information- it would be great. Would be a shame for Acclaimed Music fans to not have somewhat regular updates, if there is someone (or more than one person) who could work on updating the site.

Henrik, let us know, so we can do- if anything- to keep the site updates going on a semi-regular basis. I know it's a large undertaking, keeping a site like this going, with all the lists and such. But if there's more than one person, maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

It's not so much about technical difficulties, more about simple but time-consuming things. Like I did last year, I will soon create a spreadsheet for volunteers to fill in.

I'll be back...

I'm willing to help. and simple sounds good to me...

Henrik
It's not so much about technical difficulties, more about simple but time-consuming things. Like I did last year, I will soon create a spreadsheet for volunteers to fill in.

I'll be back...

A program could be written to write a spreadsheet.