Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
So this may not be the best time to do this but....

So this may not be the best time to do this, with all the polls going on already, but I have a suggestion for a poll.
How about an all time artists poll? We could make lists of our top 25, top 50, top 100 artists of all time. I'm not sure if this forum has ever done a poll like this, or if this has already been a suggestion- but I'm just throwing it out there. So what do you guys thinks?

Re: So this may not be the best time to do this but....

i wonder who would win

Nick
So this may not be the best time to do this, with all the polls going on already, but I have a suggestion for a poll.
How about an all time artists poll? We could make lists of our top 25, top 50, top 100 artists of all time. I'm not sure if this forum has ever done a poll like this, or if this has already been a suggestion- but I'm just throwing it out there. So what do you guys thinks?

This is already in the pipeline! I'm running this poll sometime after the other ones cool off. Maybe March or April?

We did have a similar poll back in 2008. It was great fun!

thanks Moonbeam!! Looks like you were two steps ahead of me.

Moonbeam
Nick

This is already in the pipeline! I'm running this poll sometime after the other ones cool off. Maybe March or April?

We did have a similar poll back in 2008. It was great fun!

Yes, it was a lot of fun. I can't believe it was way back in 2008. It felt like it was just last year

So is moonbeam doing this poll or is Nick?

I am planning on starting it once the recent round of polls ends.

I want to see and all female or female led band poll.

I have an idea that I think would make the poll a lot more interesting. Using the traditional style of tabulation for an artists poll results in a very predictable top of the list, as we saw in `08. I don't think anybody learns more about an artist or is motivated to listen to them this way.

So, I think we should do a two-round poll. In the first round, everyone would submit lists as they usually do. Then, the top 64 (or 128) artists from the first round would go into a seeded bracket where we would then do one round per week.

You could argue this might still give a similar result to the traditional method. However, I think this would result in a lot more discovery, as people would listen to the artists involved in each week's matchups and fans of certain artists would campaign for votes by introducing people to that artist's lesser-known songs and albums. Some of the artists in the lower seeds would get exposed to a bigger audience and would have a chance at pulling an upset. As we've seen in the Moderately Acclaimed Albums poll, many lesser-known albums like Pacific Ocean Blue have gained many new fans on the forum. Pacific Ocean Blue would have never finished in the top four if that poll had been done in a more traditional manner, and few people would have bothered listening to it.

Maybe my proposal would work better for a Moderately Acclaimed Artists poll, but I think some of the matchups would be fascinating, and the end result might be more interesting, productive, and useful. Tell me what you think.

i like that idea ^

I don't think that idea is in the true spirit of these polls, but I certainly wouldn't object to participating in it, if somebody wants to take the reins and do such a thing once the artist poll is finished!

I've got an idea if you want to make this poll more interesting. We could ask everyone their favorite artists, and have them include there favorite song by that artist. Then, one person could rank the artists, and another person could rank what each artist's most liked song is.

Moonbeam
I don't think that idea is in the true spirit of these polls, but I certainly wouldn't object to participating in it, if somebody wants to take the reins and do such a thing once the artist poll is finished!

Since it's my idea, I would certainly do it. We need more input before making a decision, though.

Jackson
Moonbeam

Since it's my idea, I would certainly do it. We need more input before making a decision, though.

I agree with Moonbeam. I was looking at the forum archive and I came across a survivor like poll, and the Beatles won, with Bob Dylan coming in second.

Ack! Poll fatigue!

I know it's fun for you guys but I can't keep up with everything that's going on. I was surprised that a top 50s/60s, all time songs, 2000s albums, were all going on at the same time. Even pitchfork paced there decade polls out at a clip of once a year.

I don't mean to whine too much, I'm just offering an explanation for my lack of participation.

I still want to run a 00's movie poll, and will if anybody else shows interest.

Jackson
Moonbeam

One of the main reasons I'd like to keep the method the same as the others is for the sake of comparison with the previous artist poll. I expect that we would get entirely different results with a two-stage process! That said, I'm definitely down with participating in a Bracketology-type tournament of artists based on the results of the standard poll.

listyguy
I've got an idea if you want to make this poll more interesting. We could ask everyone their favorite artists, and have them include there favorite song by that artist. Then, one person could rank the artists, and another person could rank what each artist's most liked song is.

Interesting idea.

I am looking forward to both the artists and the movies poll.

I've got a few questions for if I do end up doing the 00's movie poll.

Right now I was thinking of doing it like the decade polls in music. 00 top ten, 01 top ten, etc, then vote on the top 100. Only I was thinking of doing separate votes for english films and non-english films (Because of the difference in exposure), and then maybe to have a final vote with the top ten of each at the very end.

My questions are:
A) Would people be behind this?
B) Should there be a month to vote for each year, or some shorter period like one or two weeks?
C) How have people been doing the scoring for the decade polls?

BillAdama

Right now I was thinking of doing it like the decade polls in music. 00 top ten, 01 top ten, etc, then vote on the top 100. Only I was thinking of doing separate votes for english films and non-english films (Because of the difference in exposure), and then maybe to have a final vote with the top ten of each at the very end.

My questions are:
B) Should there be a month to vote for each year, or some shorter period like one or two weeks?

I will participate no matter what the concept is.
If we do it with the method of decade polls (one year at a time) I think two weeks is enough to vote (or if it's month maybe we should do it next year with songs and albums). But I want to do it right now
I guess that separate lists for english and non-english movies is good idea in this poll (at least it guarantees that there are not only American movies in the list). So 5 and 5 per year to final sounds good to me. And in final there are 100 movies (in one group) (50 + 50) which we put in order.
Answers to your questions
a)yes. Let's do it now
b) two weeks per year is enough
c) Do you mean what scoring system should we use? English and non-english separately until the final. Same scores than in music polls 50-40-35-30...

A) I'd definitely be behind it!
B) Yeah I agree, 2 weeks should be enough.
C) No idea

BillAdama

My questions are:

I think it would be easier for you to just make it one poll for the entire decade.

Hello,
For the film poll, I agree. It could be very interesting...but...please, don't make two lists (english and not english). The world is made of variety, it is useless to separate the talents.

Romain
Hello,
For the film poll, I agree. It could be very interesting...but...please, don't make two lists (english and not english). The world is made of variety, it is useless to separate the talents.

The reason I wanted to make separate english and non-english polls is that so many more people have *seen* the english language films that they'd have too much of an advantage in a strictly point-based system. (And any attempt at a bracket-oriented approach in films would kill participation)

So, some more questions.

A) Should there be separate votes for english and non-english films, in order to give the non-english ones fair representation?

B) Should it be broken up by years and then a final poll in order to give people a chance to see more of the popular films (Like I think works for the decade polls in music), or should there just be one poll?

C) If it is broken up by years, how do we decide what the 'official' release year of a film is? I propose films101.com. (Or imdb.com for anything not listed in films101.com.)

BillAdamaThe reason I wanted to make separate english and non-english polls is that so many more people have *seen* the english language films that they'd have too much of an advantage in a strictly point-based system. (And any attempt at a bracket-oriented approach in films would kill participation)

So, some more questions.

A) Should there be separate votes for english and non-english films, in order to give the non-english ones fair representation?

B) Should it be broken up by years and then a final poll in order to give people a chance to see more of the popular films (Like I think works for the decade polls in music), or should there just be one poll?

C) If it is broken up by years, how do we decide what the 'official' release year of a film is? I propose films101.com. (Or imdb.com for anything not listed in films101.com.)[/quote

I think it should be one list for all languages. And that's also why I think it shouldn't be broken up by year, because movies are released in different years in different places. But if you are going to go by release date, I would go with it's original release.

A) Separate lists sounds good to me. I just checked my yearly top tens and there were about 60 non English movies and 40 English movies. I'm afraid that among the forum members there are people who mostly watch US movies so I want to give a chance to those great Asian, European and Latin American movies.

B) It's maybe easier to make yearly polls and I vote for it but if it's only one poll I'm satisfied too (and maybe we could do the year by year poll next year).

C) I think RYM lists are so great that we should use them (same years than in IMDB but it's easier to check them). If the movie isn't in RYM then IMDB year.
Top films of 00s according to RYM users
And by the way I think we should exclude the tv-series (including minitv-series like Band of Brothers).
Edit. And also we shouldn't vote for short films (like The House of Small Cubes). But document films should be eligible.

An other question, how determinate the nationality of a film ?
Producer ? Director ?

And for the name of the film, when it's an asian film for example, which name take ? The original with ideogram, the english one, the spanish one, the french one ?

Romain
Producer ? Director ?

And for the name of the film, when it's an asian film for example, which name take ? The original with ideogram, the english one, the spanish one, the french one ?

If we do separate polls I don't think it's necessary to know the nationality of the film (and it's the first nationality mentioned in the IMDB I think). The crucial thing is what language they speak. I mean there are many English speaking movies from Canada but of course there are lot of movies in French too like Les invasions barbares. I think the movie is 'in English' -category if the most spoken language is English (movies like Traffic, Inglorious Basterds, Babel etc.).
I guess I use the original title (with letters like these) + name in English.

Only reason I want separate lists is that I want to see more than five non-English movies in the top 100. If we do one big poll I guess the separation isn't necessary.

Concerning the film poll, I would definetely prefer one list for all countries. It is more fun comparing all movies in stead of a separation like that. Actually, it is an advantage of movie lists over music lists that movie lists tend to be much more diverse in country-coverage.
Also, the original release is better than the release in some specific country (which country?), in my opinion.

Romain
Producer ? Director ?

The right nationality of a film is quite easy with most films, but IMDb does not always list the right one first. Still there are some difficult ones, like Von Triers films. I, for one, would not classify Dogville, Manderlay, Dancer in the Dark and Antichrist as American movies. They are quite international and the producing countries range from The Netherlands to Germany. Von Trier is Danish, of course. The actors are from all kinds of countries. But there would be no problem with this of all movies can be listed in one list.

And for the name of some Asian films, I guess you could take both the original and the English title. But all in Latin. And if the language is in the same script, the original title should be sufficient. Anyway, that's the way I am used doing it.

Gillingham

The right nationality of a film is quite easy with most films, but IMDb does not always list the right one first. Still there are some difficult ones, like Von Triers films. I, for one, would not classify Dogville, Manderlay, Dancer in the Dark and Antichrist as American movies. They are quite international and the producing countries range from The Netherlands to Germany. Von Trier is Danish, of course.

Von Trier has nothing to do with America. He has never been there and probably won't ever go. Dancer in the Dark was shot in Czech Republic (if I remember correctly) and Dogville in the eg somewhere in Europe (in Sweden). All Von Trier films are still Danish because the main money comes from Denmark. But that's not the crucial point (imo). I was talking about the language actors mainly speak in the movie not the nationality of the film.
Nevertheless it seems that there's a lot bigger support to one poll or at least not separated poll in this forum.

Petri
Gillingham

The right nationality of a film is quite easy with most films, but IMDb does not always list the right one first. Still there are some difficult ones, like Von Triers films. I, for one, would not classify Dogville, Manderlay, Dancer in the Dark and Antichrist as American movies. They are quite international and the producing countries range from The Netherlands to Germany. Von Trier is Danish, of course.

Von Trier has nothing to do with America. He has never been there and probably won't ever go. Dancer in the Dark was shot in Czech Republic (if I remember correctly) and Dogville in the eg somewhere in Europe (in Sweden). All Von Trier films are still Danish because the main money comes from Denmark. But that's not the crucial point (imo). I was talking about the language actors mainly speak in the movie not the nationality of the film.
Nevertheless it seems that there's a lot bigger support to one poll or at least not separated poll in this forum.

The problem is that the Von Trier films I mentioned would all be part of the English-language part of the tournament. That would be very random in my opinion.

But you're right, most people agree with one poll anyway.

Okay, so the rough consensus seems to be not to use separate lists, to do it by year, with each vote lasting two weeks, and to use RYM to determine year because it uses the original release date rather than any particular country's release date.

If non-english language films end up not factoring, maybe I'll note down the top five performing non-english speaking films in each year and there can be a 'top 50 non-english films' poll at the end in addition to the top 100 overall films.

If nobody else wants to run it, I'll start it a few weeks after the moderate poll is done.

And, I'd like somebody who's done the decade polls in music to post the entire 50-40-etc point scheme they use.

This list has been off-topic for a while, but when will the artists list start up? I looked at the results of the last one and it got me excited.

Also, is there any more input on my idea? I'll wait to do a tournament until after the main list (if there is interest, of course), but I'm still debating on whether to do it with the 128 artists or to exclude, say, the top 100 to make it a "Moderately Acclaimed Artists" tournament.

Jackson
This list has been off-topic for a while, but when will the artists list start up? I looked at the results of the last one and it got me excited.

Also, is there any more input on my idea? I'll wait to do a tournament until after the main list (if there is interest, of course), but I'm still debating on whether to do it with the 128 artists or to exclude, say, the top 100 to make it a "Moderately Acclaimed Artists" tournament.

I think I'm going to start a new thread about the Artist Poll. A lot of people have expressed a bit of poll fatigue, but hopefully that will wane soon, as Bracketology and the 50s Poll are the only active ones (I think).