Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
a terribly indiscreet question

The “school days” thread got me thinking of another possible question. If anyone finds the subject too icky, I apologize (please feel free to avert your eyes):

What’s the highest-ranked album on AM from when you were…you know…in utero?

(Given the age of some of you, In Utero might be the actual answer.)

My birthdate is Dec. 18, 1967, so for me, it’s Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.

I wish I could claim Velvet Underground & Nico (released March 12, 1967), but that seems about a week too early—at any rate, I’m certainly not going to call my parents and ask—but really, I can’t complain about the one I got.

I probably heard Sgt. Pepper for the first time when I was six or seven years old, and I remember being entranced by the cover as much as by the music. It’s an ideal record for a young child (and I don’t mean that in a bad way). I got rather sniffy about it later when I decided it didn’t rock enough, but the new remastered version restores a lot of its oomph.

OK, so clearly I’m willing to embarrass myself for the amusement of all. Anyone want to join me in the Too Much Information pool?

Re: a terribly indiscreet question

"It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back" for me, which was released some two months before I was born.

I heard about it the first time I visited these boards, which was.. a few years ago and I listened to it for the first time two years ago. Didn't like it very much—and still don't.

Blue Lines.

i was hoping for Loveless or even Nevermind but they were too late for me.

Why should we be embarrassed ? It's the most natural thing in the world !

i was born on august 25 1970

i was conceived by late november 1969 (année érotique, as Gainsbourg sung)

So I guess it's "Let it Bleed", released in early december 1969

I was born 14 days past due time, so i guess there's no doubt about that

Happy Mondays - Pills 'n' Thrills and Bellyaches

At 322, this was certainly not a good period for music.

most certainly Never Mind The Bollocks and Star Wars - yeehah

I knew it would be this one:

Nirvana - Nevermind

Strangely enough, my parents recall never once hearing Smells like Teen Spirit on the radio,

Bjork's Debut. It's actually really weird that i love the complete top 10 of the year i was born, and it was because of Liz's Exile In Guyville & PJ Harvey's Rid Of Me that i found out about this website. Lucky the ones who were born in 1971, you have like 40 masterpieces to love and think "hey i was born that year, maybe that's why it's an awesome year."

London Calling for me (born 4/29/1980). I quite like it, so I'm pleased!

Automatic for the People was in stores for less than a day when my mom started going into labor. I was born the next day.

Kraftwerk - Computerwelt. May '81 -- definitely a little Anthony fetus at that point.

(Incidentally, I acquired this album only about two months ago.)

Blue Lines. I was born a month and a bit before Nevermind.

Still yet to hear Blue Lines come to think of it.

Prince - Purple Rain
I'm born on early September 84, and I was born 2 or 3 weeks before the due date. I don't like much any album of that period.

Portishead's Dummy (22/8/94) was released 2 days before I was born. I'm quite chuffed to be honest :D

I will absolutely not ask my parents any more details, but given I was born 7/6/1981, and my Mom said she was waiting impatiently for me to pop out, it's a good bet that Talking Heads' Remain in Light (released October 1980) is the one.

I do believe Raiders of the Ark was the last movie she saw before I arrived.

15th August 1980, so Setting Sons or Metal Box/Second Edition look like the best bets. I wish I,d been born a month early because then I could claim it was London Calling, oh well!!!

Actually the Public Image Ltd. album is the highest ranked album on AM I dont own, probably should go out and buy it now.

I Was...

born March 1975, so that would be Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks.

Thriller

11/30/82

John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme", but I'm sure that mom wasn't listening to Coltrane while she was pregnant.

1. Prince - "Sign 'O' the Times" #26
2. U2 - "The Joshua Tree" #38 [ONE OF MY FAVOURITES]
3. Guns N' Roses - "Appetite for Destruction" #60
4. Beastie Boys - "Licensed to Ill" #202
5. Sonic Youth - "Sister" #276

It Takes a Nation of Millions came out 2 weeks before I was born.

The Queen Is Dead

This explains my personality. Wow.

My favorite albums of that year: Skylarking (XTC), EVOL (Sonic Youth), and Atomizer (Big Black), which all also explain my personality pretty well.

Born February 2, 1982
Conceived May 15, 1981 (I wish I didn't know that...)

Highest for me is the Human League's "Dare!" (#210) Somehow, that kinda makes sense...

James Brown, Live at the Apollo :-)

The Clash - London Calling, both the song and the album.

Followed by: Michael Jackson - Off the Wall, Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps, Pink Floyd - The Wall, Gang of Four - Entertainment! and The Pretenders - Pretenders.

By the way.. to get the album In Utero you have to be born between April 5th and June 21st 1994, give or take a couple of days.

I thought In Utero was in 1993, it was the number one album, until Bjork knock off. I just love 1993!

Debut came out in July 93 and In Utero in September 93, while all '94 albums ranked higher came out in late '94.

Rune
Debut came out in July 93 and In Utero in September 93, while all '94 albums ranked higher came out in late '94.

Oh! I get it now, sorry bout that