Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
R.I.P. Jay Reatard (and Vic Chesnutt)

Jay Reatard (a/k/a Jimmy Lee Lindsey), the Memphis garage rocker who had started to receive a good deal of national recognition within the last couple of years (his 2009 album WATCH ME FALL is currently at #119 on our EOY spreadsheet), was found dead in his home today of unknown causes. He was only 29.

http://pitchfork.com/news/37575-rip-jay-reatard/

I don't recall seeing anything here about the New Year's Day death of Vic Chesnutt, so I should note his passing as well. The 45-year old Chesnutt, an Athens, GA singer-songwriter with a huge cult following (three of his albums are Bubbling Under here at AM), had been a paraplegic since a car accident in his early twenties; he'd recently been beset with a particularly difficult combination of health and economic woes, and he apparently committed suicide.

R.I.P. to both artists, gone way too soon.

Re: R.I.P. Jay Reatard (and Vic Chesnutt)

I just saw it at EW. That's sad. It was a surprise, i couldn't believe it, i liked his last record, i guess i'm going to find that topic about favorites final albums, and post his. That's sad. And what about that Haiti earthquake that was even SADDER, i saw some images, wow, that was horrible.

r.i.p. teddy pendergrass

I don't know what's happening, but a lot of acclaimed people passed away these last weeks

In France, we lost Mano Solo and Lhasa, who wasn't French but who was very popular here (she was on a French label), and film director Eric Rohmer..

Coming out next march : an unaware-of tribute to Vic Chesnutt made by Honorio and me plus 3 other songs...

Greg
r.i.p. teddy pendergrass

I've had "If You Don't Know Me By Now" running in a constant loop in my head since I heard last night.

I have a soft spot for the Gamble and Huff singles of the 70's, and "IYDKMBN" and "The Love I Lost" are my two favorites. I'm not a huge fan of the loverman style of soul unless there's some pain mixed in (like with the ultimate, Otis Redding). Pendergrass hit the right notes on those two singles, particular in combination with the sweeter, string-infused arrangements, and the solid but understated harmonies from the Blue Notes.

Bad bad bad news. Yes, too many genius dying. As Nicolas advanced, we recorded last month a Vic Chesnutt song that now it’s going to end as an unaware homage to him. We will show to all of you on March after the final mix (or not? why not posting the rough mix, Nic?).
Vic was a genial singer-songwriter that unfortunately suffered a car crash that left him paralyzed and with limited motility of his hands. But despite of carrying his cross he was able to releas great albums, the first ones produced by Michael Stipe, being my favourite his 1995 one: “Is the Actor Happy?”. He got some acclaim with his 2007 album, “North Star Deserter” recorded with members of Godspeed You Black Emperor! and Fugazi. He finally committed suicide by overdose last Christmas Eve. Rest in peace, Vic.
The following video recorded barely a month before his suicide takes a lot to load (because of HD) but, believe me, it worth the wait.

I need to hear more from Vic...

"Is the Actor Happy?" and "North Star Deserter" would be my first recommendations

If you've ever seen Billy Bob Thornton's great SLING BLADE, Chesnutt appeared as one of the guys in Dwight Yoakam's quasi-band (as did another somewhat legendary eccentric Southern musician, Col. Bruce Hampton).

didn't he have a duet with Bonnie Prince Billy? I remember hearing that song all the time on the radio. Great stuff. As far as Mr Reatard goes, I think most male songwriters are tremendously overrated. A lot perfer to go lofi and accoustic and make their music more about storytelling than melody. Jay was a rocker who was all about putting those perfectly catchy guitar riffs into fun and quirky songs. He did twee and britpop as good as he did punk and his music was fun, never preachy and without a good backing band to make his songs even stonger and more muscular. Here's too one of the rare songwriters that didn't take himself too seriously and just wanted to rock out. He left us with an amazing little album that really gained him a new following and suprising critical acclaim. Who would think someone with a stage name like Reatard would be making so many year end lists? Gone too soon but a least on a high note with an amazing swansong.

+ bobby charles.. :/

I heard that Jay Reatard's death might have been a murder but most likely it's just something that has to be looked at and will be an overdose. Blood Visions is one of the best of the 00's.

Well, as we told you before, here’s Nic & Hon little homage to Vic Chesnutt. Nicolas and me had recorded some songs and this could serve as an appetizer exclusively for AM Forum. On this track I recorded acoustic guitar, acoustic bass, E-Bow electric guitar and lead vocals at Casa de Jesus (Ontinyent, Valencia, Spain) on 10/12/09 and 11/06/09 and Nicolas recorded backing vocals at Chez Antoine (Paris, France) on 01/02/10. Although I’ve played guitar on some recordings this is the first time I record a lead vocal (you’ll understand why soon). Here it is a rough mix by Antoine (with vocals way too loud). On March Nicolas and me will meet, make the final mix and post all the songs (and don’t worry, the lead vocal on the rest of the songs is carried by Nicolas, an excellent singer).

Guilty by Association (Rough Mix)

That was beautiful. I have always loved the sound of e-bow. Great work Honorio & Nicolas.

awesome! and great pick, definitely one of my top 5 chesnutt songs

Just beautiful.

(The same comment as I made for U2's "One" in the bracketology game.)