Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vampire Weekend - Contra

Gotta say, I kinda like it. I hated their debut, and was expecting Contra to be a boring companion. Contra is a strange little album, seemingly more personal. A talented band- tightening there sound. They know who they are,where they are, and who they're playing to. Contra is an amazing follow up and early contender for year end best.

9/10

Re: Vampire Weekend - Contra

I really wanted to love it and, I'll admit it, see a great album hit the shelves within 12 days of the new decade, but it's just not quite great. It really goes downhill in the last 3 songs, which makes it end up with a 7.5 or an 8.0, gotta listen a few more times but I don't think it'll grow like their debut did.

Still, best album of the decade!

So far i also liked. But i'm going to listen to it 2 more times, so i can have a solid opinion.

Went from a 7 to an 8.5 with more listens. Hopefully it keeps getting better. Definitely not as catchy as the first one.

Yeah, overall it isn't as catchy as the first record (one of my favorites of this decade) but it has alot of good stuff. I know how everyone compares it to Graceland, but there are two songs there that remind me so much of Crazy Love pt. II. Just the guitar parts are so similar.

Contra feels like a cross between the first Vampire Weekend album and Bitte Orca. It's a good album on first listen, but it's inconsistent. It's less catchy, but in a way that works.

They're coming to my town in April. It's on a Tuesday, so not sure if I'll see them or not. Anyone near Asheville, NC by the way?

I'm seeing Vampire Weekend this Sunday. I'm listening to the record right now, I'm about half way through it, and so far I really like it. It's certainly less tuneful, but it's more musically diverse; the songs create an environment more lush than the debut. While none of the people I'm seeing Vampire Weekend with much like the record, I think it's a fine addition to the bands catalogue, and dodges the dreaded "sophomore slump."

I don't get Vampire Weekend.

Anthony
I don't get Vampire Weekend.

Sure you do, insert equal parts Paul Simon and The Police, and then make it really, really, boring.

Hated the debut, hated the follow up more.

I listened to it about two times now and I don’t find it particularly good, definitely does not catch my attention. It surprised me, I thought it would have more of a jangly beat to it, but I’m glad that they are maturing musically and moving towards a different direction.

I am excited to see them with SR on Sunday though.

Joni
I am excited to see them with SR on Sunday though.

Yeah!

I think it's good but doesn't have the staying power of the self titled. Nothing really stood out to me until Cousins and the track after that and then kind of dwindled off again. Nothing bad, but like somebody else said, it's just nowhere near as catchy. I hate judging an album based on a previous one but it's basically the same style and approach so I think it's somewhat fair... and again, it's not bad, maybe it will end up on the bottom of my year end list, but it is a step back for them I think.

Errr, yeah, we heard you the first time.

Two listenings, and so far I'm liking it. I remember I loved the last record since the first audition, so maybe that's a sign that it's not as good as the previous... Anyway, I like how they have consolidated their own sound, and also how they have broadened it. Almost all the songs have grown on me from the 1st to the 2nd listen, specially that one with a sample similar to M.I.A.! I bet it will be one of the albums of the year.

I've heard it once and I'm disappointed

Looks like they gave up the beautiful and catchy pop songs of their debut for a more Pitchfork-wise, experimental sound.

The production is better, but what the hell if the songs are not as good ?

People are saying "not as catchy as their debut" like it's a bad thing.

I love the more challenging, experimental bent. That isn't why I don't like it as much as their first one. The reason I don't like it as much is because of the inconsistency. But the direction they're going is just fine with me.

Contra was the #1 album in the US last week. VAMPIRE WEEKEND IS #1. Read that again.

Amazing. Either shows how indie has gone mainstream or how bad the music industry is doing sales-wise.