The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: 50s-60s elegibility thread

Great- I'll keep all those excellent SG/Anna Karina tunes for 1967. Thanks Honorio!

Let's get Neil and start this show!

I think that "Bonnie & Clyde" by Gainsbourg and Bardot is from 1968 and not 1967 as the AM list suggests.
RYM doesn't give a date for the single

My sources are :

this excellent site about Serge

this collector site

Apparently the single was out in january'68.

Gainsbourg wrote the song in 1967, and the song was featured on a TV show in december just before the record was issue. Maybe that's why a lot of people on the Web say it's from 1967, but I had no proof for that.

Some comments about eligibility of the last 1966 lists:
sonofsamiam, the wonderful Ronettes song “I Wish I Never Saw the Sunshine” was recorded in 1966 and produced by Phil Spector but it was not released at the time because of the disbanding of Philles Records after the commercial failure of the Ike & Tina Turner album (and because of the erratic behaviour of Phil Spector). Being the favourite song ever of Ronnie Bennet she rerecorded it for Buddah Records in 1974 fronting a renewed band called Ronnie Spector & the Ronettes. To my knowledge the first release of the original Spector production was in a 1976 compilation called Rare Masters, Vol. 2. So not eligible.
nicolas, I suppose that the version of “Messing with the Kid” is the re-recording that Junior Wells did in 1965 and was released on the Vanguard compilation album Chicago / The Blues / Today / Vol. 1 on 1966 and not the original of 1960.
Georgie, The Ballroom was a band commanded by sunshine-pop genius Curt Boettcher that recorded an album in 1966 but it was never released with Curt going to form other great bands like Sagittarius and Millennium. The songs coming from these sessions were finally released on 1998 on a CD aptly called Preparing for the Millennium. So, despite its greatness, I’m afraid it’s not eligible for the poll.
Georgie, all the sources consulted date the recording sessions of Laura Nyro’s “More Than a Discovery” on late 1966 but the release date on January or February of 1967 on Verve Folkways label. So not eligible too, but don’t forget to vote for it this month on the 1967 poll.
Georgie, I’ve never heard before about that all-female band, The Ace of Cups. It seems that they never released any single or album during their life-span (1967-1972) but Ace Records released in 2003 a CD called It’s Bad for You But Buy It! including demos, TV soundstages and in-concert tapes. I’ve seen some You Tube videos and I must say that they were really good. Georgie, sorry but I’m afraid that it’s the third album you voted that I can’t include. Anyway, welcome to the poll, Georgie, especially if you continue making such great lists like this 1966 one!

You're right about "Messing With the kid". The version that I included in my list is the one from Chicago The Blues Today (also included in my album list). It is 100 times better than the original, due to a a killer harmonica solo.

First research on eligibility of your 1967 votes. By the way, I just realized that I wrote incorrectly the word “eligibility” on the title of the thread (I wrote “elegibility”) but I’m afraid it’s too late to correct it:
- Fred, Velvet Underground’s song “I Heard Her Call My Name” was first released as part of the second Velvet album White Light/White Heat on January 30th of 1968 and then as a single on March (although according to other sources it was only planned for release but never happened). You can check it in an astonishingly complete discography of The Velvet Underground. However you can vote for the songs “White Light/White Heat” and “Here She Comes Now” that were released on November of 1967 as a single (and of course for “I Heard…” on the 1968 poll).
- Fred again, I’m not sure about what to think about Tim Hardin’s song “If I Were a Carpenter”. You voted for it in your 1966 list and I counted your vote because, although it was included on the 1967 album “Tim Hardin 2” it was apparently released as a single by Verve Folkways with the number KF5031 on November of 1966 when it had been already a big hit with Bobby Darin’s cover. The problem comes when I want to double check with the usually impeccable Jazz Discography Project page, in this page this Verve reference (KF5031) includes “Hang On to a Dream” and “Misty Roses”, while the reference KF5008 was the first release of “Hang On to a Dream” with a different B-side. They even date the recording date of “If I Was a Carpenter” in 1967. But the scan of the cover on Rate Your Music that proves that KF5031 included “Carpenter” so (and sorry for the looong explanation) finally I’m going to consider it as a 1966 song.
- BillAdama, you know that I cannot include “The Basement Tapes”, mainly because it was already included on the 70s poll (in fact it entered the final Top 100 but ended merely at #95). An alternative (if you want it) is to vote in 1969 for Great White Wonder, the first bootleg album in pop history and the first time that the listeners could get to that basement recordings, even in an illegal way.
- Charlie Driggs, the Soft Machine’s song “Memories” was part of some demos that the band recorded in 1967 with the initial line-up (Dave Allen, Kevin Ayers, Mike Ratledge and Robert Wyatt) and was not released at the time. The band had reduced to a trio (without Allen) by the time of release of their first album in 1968. Those first demos were released for the first time by BYG, a French label, as part of compilations called Rock Generation and the band was named for the occasion The Original Soft Machine or Soft Machine at the Beginning. It’s not eligible but the song is great, many thanks, Charlie Driggs.
- Henry, I’ve finally added your points to “For What Its Worth” that I’m going to consider it eligible for 1967, see comments in 1966 thread.
- Gillingham, The Temptations released an album of covers of songs of other Motown artists called Reflections in 2006 in which covered the song “Reflections” that was originally released in 1967 by The Supremes. So I will assign your points to The Supremes original version of the song. But if you don’t agree with that I can move up the rest of your list.

I’ve just realized that “Some Velvet Morning”, that glorious duet of Lee Hazlewood & Nancy Sinatra that it’s for sure on my Top 20, is listed as released in 1968 on AM lists. In fact it was included in “Nancy & Lee” 1968’s album but it was previously released as a single on December of 1967 as checked of different sources (as Rate Your Music, Global Dog Productions or a exhaustive Hazlewood discography of a web page called, obviously, Some Velvet Morning). A prodigious delicacy of dream pop at its best, with two different parts (sexes) excellently intertwined but never fusing, the masculine part of Lee Hazlewood (dressed in black, with a 4/4 beat and western flavours) and the feminine part of Nancy Sinatra (dressed in white, with a ¾ beat and dreamy ambiance). Not convinced? See…

There's an issue with Leonard Cohen

According to AM, the album is from '67 but the singles (Suzanne, Maryanne) are listed as 1968.

A few people already voted for the singles in the 67 poll

What shall we do. I suppose that gieven thet the songs were released on the album in dec 67, they should be included in '67 lists.

Yes, Nicolas, I think we should consider all the songs included in Cohen's first album as eligible for 1967.

First results on eligibility on 1968 lists:
- Different sources dates George Russell album Electronic Sonata for Souls Loved by Nature as composed in 1968 but recorded and released in 1969, apparently it was recorded live in Olso on 28th April of 1969. To add more confusion the 1985 CD release is called Electronic Sonata for Souls Loved by Nature - 1968 to differentiate it from a different recording made in 1980. 1969, then.
- The research of the release date of Nico’s The Marble Index has been quite nightmarish for me. Some sources like RYM, allmusic or Wikipedia list it as recorded in 1968 but released in 1969. However an exhaustive Nico discography date the US release on 1968/09/19 while the UK release on 1969/05. The CD liner notes included in this page talk about the recording sessions during September of 1968, so probably the release is more probable in 1969. To add more confusion two complete discographies of Elektra label, Elektra ‘Master’ discography and bnspubs, date it as released on 1968. So finally, and despite the divergent information, I’m going to consider it finally as a 1969 album but I’m not completely sure.
- Don Cherry’s Eternal Rhythm was probably released in 1969 too, different sources ate the recording sessions on 11 and 12 November of 1968, so it was probably released in 1969.
- The Velvet Underground’s songs White Light/White Heat and Here She Comes Now were released as a single in November 1967 and it was specified during the 67 poll. Moonbeam, since nobody voted for the A-side during the 1967 poll (Brad voted for the B-side) I’m going to include your vote, but if this song gets into the Top 10 at the end I don’t know what I’m going to do. Let’s wait.
- Can’s song Thief, later covered by Radiohead, was recorded in 1968 as part of a first album that it was going to be called Prepared to Meet thy Pnoom but no record company was bold enough to release, remaining unissued till 1981. The first official album released by Can was Monster Movie, released in 1969. So it’s not eligible for the poll.

Forgive me - I realize we just started 1968, but I wanted to get a jump on a very pertinent question for the 1969 poll:

The Abbey Road medley.

The new Rolling Stone list and one of the other best-of-the-Beatles lists consider everything from "You Never Give Me Your Money" through "The End" (and, I suppose, "Her Majesty") as a single entity. Any thoughts on how to handle all this yet, Honorio?

Personally, I would divide the medley into discrete units as follows:

1. "You Never Give Me Your Money"
2. "The Sun King"/"Mean Mr. Mustard"/"Polythene Pam"/"She Came in Through the Bathroom Window"
3. "Golden Slumbers"/"Carry That Weight"/"The End"/"Her Majesty"

But that's just me. Honorio, you'll have the final call. I just wanted to get it out there ahead of time.

Great suggestion, Harry

If it was accepted, I guess the final Abbey Road medley
would be in my 1969's top 3 (if not #1)

More results:
- There’s little information on the web about The Remaining Few, a short lived garage band that released only a single, Painted Air in 1967 according to Rate Your Music and a My Space page. Anyway since I’m not completely sure about the date of release I’m going to include it anyway.
- It seems that every source date Clancy Eccles’s Constantinople as released in 1969: Rate Your Music, Trojan 7"s or StudioWon). So, despite not being completely sure I think I’m going to consider it from 1969. Vote for it next year, Mindrocker.
- Leonard Cohen’s Suzanne: 1967, as discussed previously.
- Carla Bley & Paul (not “Auteurs” Luke) Haines’ Businessmen was probably recorded in 1968 (featuring John McLaughlin and Jack Bruce) but not released till 1971 as part of the triple album Escalator Over the Hill. I can’t find further information so I’m going to consider it non eligible, Fred.
- C.A. Quintet’s Trip Thru Hell was released by Candy Floss (a Minneapolis label) with only 500 copies pressed initially. The exact date of release seems uncertain, and while Rate Your Music or Wikipedia date it as released in 1968, an official page date it as 1969’s. Since I’m not completely sure I’m going to consider it eligible for 1968.
- It seems that James Brown’s There Was a Time is another December release (as B-side of “I Can’t Stand Myself When You Touch Me”) as specified on Rate Your Music, soulfulkindamusic and globaldogproductions. In March of 1968 it was released as part of the album I Can’t Stand Myself When You Touch Me.

About “Abbey Road” medley I think we can consider an eligible song as the one which is considered a track on the official CD release. For instance in this 1968 poll Fred voted for the Blood, Sweat & Tears song “So Much Love / Underture” that it’s a track on the CD or in Spotify so I considered it eligible as one song. However sonofsamiam voted for The Millennium “Prelude / To Claudia on Thursday” that are two separate tracks on the CD, so the votes went to “To Claudia on Thursday” (that was even released as a single).
Anyway if some of you want to vote for some song simultaneously in the medley (for instance, “Golden Slumbers / Carry That Weight”) I will assign the same points to both and if these songs gets into the Top 10 I can join it as an only song. Hope it’s clear. Anyway the way The Beatles recorded the songs from the medley were:
1. You Never Give Me Your Money
2. Sun King / Mean Mr. Mustard
3. Polythene Pam / She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
4. Golden Slumbers / Carry That Weight
5. The End
6. Her Majesty (it was originally placed between "Mean Mr. Mustard" and "Polythene Pam" but McCartney didn’t like it and the engineer put it at the end of the rough mix, that’s why the initial chord is the end of "Mean Mr. Mustard" and there is no final chord, it’s buried at the beginning of "Polythene Pam").

What about the Tropicália ou panis et circensis compilation ?

Is it eligible as an album for 1968 ? Sonofsamian and Charlie have already included it in their lists

Well, Nicolas, in my opinion “Tropicália, ou panis et circencis” should be eligible. More than a compilation album it’s a collective album with a troupe of different artists that gathered to record new material with the same producer. Only the Os Mutantes song “Panis et Circensis” appeared previously in the Os Mutantes debut a month before. Two other songs from that “Os Mustantes” album appeared too in the “Tropicália” album but played by the composers (“Baby” by Caetano Veloso in a duet with Gal Costa and “Bat Macumba” by Gilberto Gil). Definitely eligible. And absolutely recommendable, very rarely you can find a document of the beginning of a music movement just in the right moment and with the direct involvement of the artists. Another example could be “The Golden Apples of the Sun” (2004), the album that documented the freak-folk scene as compiled by Devendra Banhart, but this was a true compilation.

Honorio
Well, Nicolas, in my opinion “Tropicália, ou panis et circencis” should be eligible. More than a compilation album it’s a collective album with a troupe of different artists that gathered to record new material with the same producer.

It's definitely eligible - it's actually on the AM top 3000, so Henrik also considers it a "real album." Which, as Honorio explains so well, it is. It's as cohesive as any album by a single artist.

Eligibility of some new votes for 1968s poll:
- The Band’s second album named The Band was released in September of 1969. SR, I suppose you wanted to vote for The Band’s debut “Music from Big Pink”, released in July of 1968. I will assign your votes to “Big Pink” but if you think otherwise please tell me and I simply move your list one place up.
- The Jimi Hendrix Experience’s song Castles Made of Sand was released as the ninth track of the album “Axis: Bold as Love”, first released in December of 1967 in the UK and in January of 1968 in the US. I cannot consider it eligible for 1968.
- Bob Dylan’s original rendition of All Along the Watchtower was released as the fourth track of his album “John Wesley Harding”, released in December of 1967.

Slick
That was Chris, not me that had Voodoo Child at #9... But if it is possible could I put that song at #3 instead of Castles Made of Sand (which was pointed out to me was 1967) since I thought Voodoo Child was part of 1970 for some reason. That would be greatly appreciated.

Oops, Slick, that’s true, sorry for the confusion. And yes, no problem with this change, you can see your votes in the final Excel file in the 1968 thread.
About Chris’ votes, the 14 points finally went to “Voodoo Child (Slight Return)” that made the Top 10 and the final round. Anyway if I would assigned Chris’ points to “Voodoo Chile” (long version), “Voodo Child (Slight Return)” would have made the Top 10 anyway (but at #9 and not at #7).
Finally (since it didn’t get to the Top 10) I removed the points that went to The Velvet Underground’s White Light/White Heat (the song) since it was first released as a single in 1967, so Moonbeam’s list move one place up from #1 and Chris’ list from #13.
Final decisions on eligibility for 1968:
- The Zombies’ Care of Cell 44 was released as a single in 1967 and received some votes last month, sadly this fact prevented to reach a good position despite the greatness of the song. Sorry, Zorg, but I can’t consider it eligible, your list move up one place from #3.
- The Byrds Goin’ Back was released as a single in December of 1967 and already received some votes in the previous poll. Midaso, it’s not eligible, your list move one place up from #13.
- Georgie, it seems that Howard Roberts The Magic Band II was recorded at a live show in 1968 but first released in 1998 according to every source available on the net, particularly this complete Howard Roberts discography. I can’t consider it eligible, your list move one place up from #17.
- The first release on record of The Beatles’ It’s All Too Much was as part of the “Yellow Submarine” soundtrack album on 13th of January of 1969. Georgie, since the movie was premiered on April of 1968 I’m going to include your vote (I’ve accepted previously some other soundtracks based on the movie premiere date). But the song is eligible for the 1969 poll too if someone else want to vote for it.

¡Hola, Honorio! I have doubts about the eligibility of these two albums:

The first album by Neil Young: in my opinion, his underrated masterpiece. The wikipedia says that “Many sources cite that Neil Young was released in January 1969; however, the album was originally released on November 12, 1968. The first release of the album used the Haeco-CSG encoding system. This technology was intended to make stereo records compatible with mono record players, but had the unfortunate side effect of degrading the sound in both stereo and mono. Young was unhappy with the sound quality of the first release. So the album was partially remixed in January 1969 and then re-released without Haeco-CSG processing.” In rateyourmusic include ”Neil Young”, the album, in 1969, but the "original version" in 1968.

Townes Van Zandt: According to wikipedia ,allmusic and rateyourmusic, their third album (and yes, his masterpiece, too) is from 1969, but according to other sources, is from 1970: his official page, the New World Encyclopedia, the Townes Van Zandt Blue Sky Homepage , and this page about the Poppy label, that originally released the album.

Are both, therefore, eligible this year?

First results on eligibility for the 1969 poll:
- Eumir Deodato’s Super Strut was released to my knowledge in 1973 as a single and as part of the album Deodato 2, I haven’t found any other Deodato release in 1969 other than Donato/Deodato both in Rate Your Music or in Deodato official page. So, Fred, if you’re talking about an earlier take on the great “Super Strut” please let me know, if not I’m going to consider it not eligible.
- The Rolling Stones’ Can’t You Hear Me Knocking was recorded in June of 1970 according to the Complete Works of The Rolling Stones and first released as part of Sticky Fingers in 1971. I’ve even checked the set list of the live performances of the Stones in their 1969 American tour looking for a possible previous live version from 1969 but I didn’t find it, so I’m afraid it’s not eligible.
- The Temptations’ song Cloud Nine was released as a single in October 1968 although the album that included it was released in February 1969. It received some votes last month so it’s ineligible for this one.
- Cream’s Crossroads was recorded live at the Fillmore and released as a single in January of 1969 but previously appeared opening the second album of Wheels of Fire, released in July of 1968. It had also received some votes in 1968, not eligible.
- The Ventures’ Hawaii Five-O album was released in 1969 according to every source but the single release is uncertain, Rate Your Music date it in March of 1969 but sources as reliable as Global Dog or Sandcastle date it as released on November of 1968. Since I’m not completely sure I’ll keep 1969.
- Laura Nyro recorded Save the Country twice, the first in June of 1968 (merely two days after Bobby Kennedy’s assassination) being released as a single in July of 1968 and then again in March of 1969 being released as a single in February of 1970 and as part of the 1969 album “New York Tendaberry”. Charlie Driggs, I assume you’re voting for the 1969 version, so it’s eligible.
- Townes Van Zandt homonymous album was released in 1969 according to some sources and 1970 according to others (Miguel did the research perfectly). The sources that date it as 1970’s seem more reliable to me, but since I’m not 100% sure about it I think I can accept the votes for this (excellent) album for the poll.
- Jacques Dutronc’s L’opportuniste was apparently released in 1968 according to all the sources I’ve found on the net, including Rate Your Music, Encyclopédisque and Slipcue. Sorry Nassim but it seems not eligible.
- Neil Young’s debut album was, as Miguel perfectly pointed, first released in 1968, then withdrawn and re-released in 1969 with a superior quality of sound. Since we accepted previously other limited releases (as Leonard’s Cohen debut “Songs of Leonard Cohen” that saw a limited release the 27 of December of 1967 and then a general release on February of 1968) I think we should stick to 1968 as the date of release of Young’s debut and consider it not eligible for 1969. Sorry, Miguel, I agree with you, it’s an excellent album (I particularly like the song “I’ve Been Waiting for You” that David Bowie covered in his “Heathen” album).

Sorry, I knew I was forgetting something. The Edwin Hawkins Singers, quoting Wikipedia: “as was common in gospel circles they produced and distributed their own 1968 LP Let Us Go Into the House of Lord, recorded live in church. “Oh Happy Day”, featuring Dorothy Morrison as lead vocalist, was picked up by a local DJ and subsequently released commercially in 1969”. So, despite that I’m in contradiction with myself and my observations about Neil Young’s first album, probably we should consider this song as eligible for 1969, although it saw a limited release in 1968. Unclear enough?

I (finally) recovered the files. Those were the ones that lacked:
- Blood, Sweat & Tears’ self titled second album was released in January of 1969 according to Rate Your Music and in December 11 of 1968 according to Wikipedia and Replay Records. Since these are non-official pages and there no other information available I’m going to keep 1969 as release date.
- White Noise’s An Electric Storm was released the 30 of November of 1968 according to Wikipedia (that quotes last.fm as source adding “often stated as 1969”), but both Rate Your Music and a complete Island Records discography date it as released on 1969. So 1969... maybe.

More results on eligibility:
- Miguel, the first and last album by Juan & Junior was more a compilation that a real album, it was released in 1969 including the 6 singles of the band, and only one of them (“Lo que el viento se llevó/Tus ojos”) was released also in 1969. Anyway it fits the criteria for the poll so OK (it’s an excellent pop album anyway).
- It’s almost the same with La paloma, the third 1969 album by Serrat (he released three great albums during 1969, just like Creeedence Clearwater Revival and Fairport Convention). “Joan Manuel Serrat” aka “Com ho fa el vent”, released in the beginning of 1969, included some songs from a 1968 EP (like “Paraules de amor” or “Cançó de matinada”) and the rest of the songs were released as singles during 1969. “Dedicado a Antonio Machado, poeta” released in June of 1969 was the only album conceived like that and, at the end of the year, “Joan Manuel Serrat” aka “La paloma” included songs from 6 different singles released from 1967 to 1969. Anyway it’s eligible.
- Paco Ibáñez’s En el Olympia was probably released in 1970, all the sources available on the web quote the date of the mytical (in Spanish terms) Paris concert on the 2nd of December of 1969, so it was quite improbable that the release date of the album could have been in December of 1969. Oddly the only source that date the album as released in 1970 was Rockdelux (usually quite reliable) so I’m afraid I’m going to consider it non eligible for 1969.
- According to both Rate Your Music and Wikipedia it seems that there was a previous split-single release of Desmond Dekker’s Israelites in October of 1968 before the widely known 1969 single release (that came to #1 in UK). So probably I should consider it not eligible but I’m not going to do that (none of the sources was “official”).

yes, I'm happy you're nor going to do that
The problem with reggae singles is that the AM dates are not always correct, as they were released in Jamaica first.

Honorio
Paco Ibáñez’s En el Olympia was probably released in 1970.

I'm afraid you're right . In discogs, a website usually very reliable, I've found quite detailed information about the first French edition.

Final results on eligibility:
- Marvin Gaye's I Heard It Through the Grapevine was released in 1968 and it was selected already for the final round. Midaso, your list move up one place from #5.
- The Youngbloods' Get Together was released in August of 1967 as a single and as part of the Youngbloods debut album. Two years later achieved notoriety because it was used in TV commercials as a call of brotherhood by the National Conference of Christians and Jews, it was re-released fin 1969 and it was a big success, peaking to #5 (as quoted in Wikipedia). So it's not eligible for 1969, Midaso's list move up one place from #8.
- Tyrone Davis' Can I Change My Mind was released at the end of 1968 according to all the sources available, RateYourMusic, soulfunkindamusic and globaldogproductions. So, Henrik, I'm afraid it's not eligible for the poll but I think it's so great (it was the first time I’ve listend to it) that I will post the video in the "results live" thread.
- Curt Boettcher's Misty Mirage is another lost album, apparently comes from sessions that took place at the same time that Sagittarius second album in 1969 but were never released until 2000. Same goes for the song of the same name, I cannot consider them eligible. But, as I said about Henrik’s choice, the song is so good that I’m going to post it.
- Stark Reality’s Too Much Tenderness was recorded in 1969 prior to the release of the band’s only release Discovers Hoagy Carmichael’s Music Shop in 1970, along with other 7 songs remain unreleased until 2003 by Stone Throws Records under a CD and vynil aptly called 1969. Sorry, Georgie, not eligible.

And that’s all about eligibility. It was a quite hard work but I must admit I’ve enjoyed it a lot. I’m a freak, I know, but you know, le freak c’est chic.

1 2