Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Acclaimed Artists without Acclaimed Debuts

I noticed something that Radiohead and Simon & Garfunkel have in common, other than being among my favourite recording acts of all time: all of their studio albums have comfortable positions on Acclaimed Music, except Simon & Garfunkel's "Wednesday Morning, 3 AM" and Radiohead's "Pablo Honey." What do these two albums have in common? They are both the debut albums from what would eventually be very acclaimed artists.

I think this can give hope to any recording artist out there whose first album doesn't receive universal praise.

Any other artists who would fall under this category?

Re: Acclaimed Artists without Acclaimed Debuts

well let's see...Going down the album artist list (off the top of my head; will probably miss some.)

David Bowie, Neil Young, Prince, Stevie Wonder, Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell, Sonic Youth, Lou Reed, Bjork (her actual debut), The Kinks, Michael Jackson, Wilco, Husker Du, The Flaming Lips, The Replacements

I Suppose...

that upon initial release, Madonna's debut album wasn't the most acclaimed, either. However, in the following years, when looking at what followed, it gained acclaim and reverence for helping set dance-pop in motion (along with Thriller).

Then again,there weren't nearly as many year-end lists back then as there are these days. Either that, or it's just that the information has become a lot more readily available in the last decade or so.

Michael Jackson's first few solo albums definitely were not as well-received as his later albums- Off the Wall started his acclaim glory- though I do like "Ben" and "Got to Be There" quite a bit. :)

Re: I Suppose...

Just came across another: The White Stripes. Their debut is not listed on Acclaimed Music, their follow-up, "De Stijl," is bubbling under the Top 3000, and the rest of their albums are all ranked.

Jonathon
Joni Mitchell
"Song for a Seagull" is an amazing album, though. Incredibly underrated.

Beck.

Although I think One Foot In The Grave is awesome.

pauldrach
Jonathon
Joni Mitchell
"Song for a Seagull" is an amazing album, though. Incredibly underrated.

Very underrated surprised that is bubbling under. I guess critics overlook that album because of Joni's 70's masterpieces. It's true they achieve something even better, but both Song and Clouds are terrific and very underrated.