Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shameless self-promotion (but you get to hear my voice!)

Sorry to be cluttering up the board with a post like this, but I'm looking to get as many listeners as possible.

I have been a DJ at my college's radio station for nine semesters now (including three semesters where I was the station's general manager). Tonight will be my last ever show with the station, and probably the last time I'll ever be on the radio. Normally, my station is staunchly non-commercial, but the station has had a long-standing policy that veteran DJs can play whatever music they want, regardless of commercial-ness, on their last show.

So if anyone is interested in listening in, you can stream the broadcast at the station's website, http://kzuu.wsu.edu. I will be on the air from 6 to 8 PM PST (about 4-1/2 hours from now). I will actually be playing quite a few songs from the AM Top 3000 list.

Again, sorry to clutter up the board.

Re: Shameless self-promotion (but you get to hear my voice!)

Wow, that's awesome! Unfortunately it will be in the middle of the night for me. Will it be possible to listen later?

If anyone knows how to record this sort of thing to make a podcast or whatever, I would be immensely grateful! I'd love to have my last show recorded for posterity!

http://www.jakeludington.com/podcasting/20050222_recording_a_podcast.html

Or, if you have an Apple:
http://www.engadget.com/2004/10/05/engadget-podcast-001-10-05-2004-how-to-podcasting-get/

Edit: I hope you get it to work, because I too will be asleep during your broadcast

If that's WSU as in Washington State University, count me out, I'm a Husky. Just kidding, I'll check it out for a while. How about that Apple Cup?

Rocky Raccoon
If that's WSU as in Washington State University, count me out, I'm a Husky. Just kidding, I'll check it out for a while. How about that Apple Cup?

It is as in Washington State University.

Yeah, let's not talk about that game...

from ex-c.radio dj to soon-to-be-ex-c.radio dj: yay, podcast would be jadecy..

Yeah, I'm not sure if I have the materials to do it myself. Perhaps some wonderful AM-er would be willing to do it for me? I'm willing to discuss some sort of compensation for your efforts.

so... at what time do you show up again?... cherry, cherry christmas... yeah, go&phone and grab that precious neil diamond gem!

nj
so... at what time do you show up again?... cherry, cherry christmas... yeah, go&phone and grab that precious neil diamond gem!

My show starts at 6 PM PST (in 2 hours and 25 minutes) and goes for two hours.

thanks!

and nice to hear your voice at last.. ... wait, give me a break, Tracy Chapman??... whatever, you're alright

PLUS, yeah, it perfectly blends in Nick Drake... no more trollin on my behalf... just listenin from now on and shutting it up..

ps: building steam with a grain of salt... you just made my dawn..

Angel..!!

(uhh, would you please make your "vow" come true and finally shut the fuck up, potatoeschmitz?... thanks)

To anyone who tuned in, thank you. I hope you enjoyed at least some of the show.

your voice is smooth and silky. good voice for radio

I wish I could have heard this! If any audio recordings are made available, let me know!

Moonbeam
I wish I could have heard this! If any audio recordings are made available, let me know!

damn... i installed some stream recording freeware too hastily and completely screwed it up... nice show, though, and a perfect apology for my near-invincible insomnia..

and i'm absolutely with Michael, p.s.

Thanks for all the wonderful compliments, everyone! I'm glad I had as many listeners as I did!

When I first applied for a job as a DJ at that station, I saw that the station was very non-commercial, but I didn't know any indie acts at that time. So I ended up going with the only genre I knew anything about: jazz.

The station is pretty strict about what rock/hip-hop/RPM artists get played. Basically, the policy is that any artist that has "made it" is off-limits for radio play. The station exists more for the artists who haven't made it yet. But with jazz, I found that their rules were much more lax.

They told me right at the interview that if I wanted to play artists like Miles Davis or John Coltrane, there wouldn't be a problem with that. Their thinking was that big-name jazz artists like Davis and Coltrane might have "made it" in jazz circles, but the vast majority of listeners probably is unfamiliar with them. Pretty much the only jazz that was off-limits was Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry Be Happy" (the rest of his catalog was fair game) and anything by Kenny G. Now, you can debate whether or not Kenny G is really "jazz," but you know what I'm getting at.

Anyway, it wasn't until I started working at that station that I started learning about indie groups like the Dismemberment Plan, Sebadoh, Low, Yo La Tengo, and Guided by Voices. Since then, I've fallen in love with groups like Arcade Fire, Doves, Explosions in the Sky, Sigur Rós, Sufjan Stevens, Iron & Wine, TV on the Radio, and the National.

A couple of years ago, I interviewed to become the station's general manager and jazz director, and was given both positions. As jazz director, I got to hear all the new jazz CDs that we received, then reviewed them for the jazz DJs to play them on the air.

My proudest moment as general manager came at the end of that school year though. Previously, the station was located in the CUB (the WSU student union building), but when that building closed for remodeling, we were banished to a tiny room in a far-off gym. Originally, the powers that be didn't have us scheduled to return to the CUB, but a bunch of former DJs wrote in and complained, so they gave us an even tinier room of the new CUB. But before we moved back, we decided that we should have new broadcasting equipment to go with our new station. So I petitioned the school for funds to get the new equipment, and I was successful! Thanks in no small part to my efforts, the station currently has brand-spanking new soundboards, microphones, computers, etc.

The station itself even has some indie rock cred. The current general manager, Tim Meinig, used to be the drummer in Band of Horses. Conor Oberst, aka Bright Eyes, used to be a DJ at the station. Just a few weeks ago, a couple of DJs were granted an on-air interview with Eirek Glambek Bøe of Kings of Convenience.

That station has expanded my musical knowledge more than anything outside of this site. I'm really sad to be leaving because I have so many happy memories, but when one door closes, another one opens. So we'll see what the future brings.