Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AMF End of year/End of decade albums & songs poll ?

With all those endless EOY/EOD lists being posted on this forum I was wondering if we aren't going to hold a poll by our own ?
Yes, I know, we are supposed to do a 00s poll in the future. But if I'm not mistaken, first a 50s/60s poll is in the planning for the coming year. A 00s poll will only be held in 2011, with the final results being unveiled two years from now!
My suggestion is to do a quick EOY/EOD poll right now. Must be interesting to compare these lists with the results we'll get in 2011.
What about doing an albums & songs poll for 2009 ? And an EOD list of 20 of your album picks from the current decade ?
I'm sure our own lists will be much more interesting than all those official ones that have been posted so far!

Re: AMF End of year/End of decade albums & songs poll ?

An EOY poll for 2009 will probably be done in January, but I think it is better for us to wait some time before we do an EOD. It would be better for the accuracy of the poll and because there are just too many polls going on right now.

i wouldn't mind posting a top 20 for EOD. that doesn't sound too hard

We jeust made an all time album poll so maybe a end of decade wouldn't be too urgent.
If you want I can't post a best of the decade according to the AMF poll.

We'll do a EOY poll soon, but I think the perfect 2009 poll should be done in june 2010 so we have time to hear and assimilate more albums (especially those that were released in late 2009)

I'd love to do such a poll!

There's no reason we can't have a thread for EOD lists, of course. We can discuss our favorites even if nobody's there to add them up. (Heresy, I know.)

BillAdama
There's no reason we can't have a thread for EOD lists, of course. We can discuss our favorites even if nobody's there to add them up. (Heresy, I know.)

Agreed 100%. (Except the heresy part.)

Well, in my opinion lately the AM Forum is so active that is completely overwhelming (at least for a busy old man like me). I don't have the time to even READ so many information flowing endlessly and there's a lot of listening to do to participate in s many simultaneous games. I just want to remind that in January I'm going to launch the 50s-60s poll that will take place all over 2010. Just to remind that during January too we will have in the Forum:
- The unveiling of the results of the 70s poll.
- The unveiling of the results of the All-Time Songs poll.
- The 1950-1952 albums and songs poll.
- The 2009 albums and songs poll?
- The Less Acclaimed Albums poll.
- The Bracketology game.
- The continuous flood of end of decade lists and end of year lists.
So my opinion about a “short” End of Decade Poll is definitely a big NO. But there's no problem for me to do this in, let's say, March or April. I completely assume that the participation in the 50s poll will not be massive (but I hope that by the end of the year when we get to the late sixties the participation will be at least similar to that with the 70s poll).
About the upcoming 50s poll lately I've been doing some listening to 1950-1952 albums and I've found real gems (for instance 1951's “Masterpieces by Ellington”). There's enough albums to compile at least a decent Top 10 but probably many people won't be able to listen to the albums. Fortunately thanks to Rateyourmusic and Spotify I was able to listen quite a lot. Anyway I think that illegal downloads in this case probably are not so harmful (100% of the artists on my ongoing list died long ago). I would like to encourage all of you to clean your ears from so many albums and song from the 00s and go back in time to the good ole music of the 50s.
And one last thing about the 50s poll: probably we should be no strict about the original album vs. compilations during the early 50s. The 10” Long-Play was a new artifact and almost all LPs could be considered now as compilations (for instance, the majority of songs on Hank Williams 1952's “Moanin' the Blues” were previously released as singles). If you don't mind I would accept any kind of album you vote (at least during the 50s), even obvious compilation albums like “Harry Smith Anthology of American Folk Music” could be eligible if all of you agree. A possible criteria could be to include the albums not considered compilations by Rate Your Music.

Wow, I wrote much too much (again).

Honorio

Instead of 1950-52, could we do something like 1900-52 ?
There are so many great songs (and even a few albums) before 1950.
I'm a big fan of prewar jazz, blues and country and I'm even exploring the years 1890-1920 now (time of the cylinders). Fascinating stuff.
Starting in 1950 would mean skipping Armstrong, Robert Johnson, Jimmie Rodgers, Leadbelly, Woody Guthrie, Billie Holiday's early stuff, the Carter Family, and all the great bluesmen, jazzmen and hillbillies of the 1920s and 1930s, not tomention the years 1945-50, which are in my opinion the years when rock'n'roll took shape...

Henrik
Honorio, I just said you had the optimal idea and here I go with a new suggestion...

January
1950, 1951, 1952 - 5 albums and 10 songs per year
February
1953, 1954, 1955 - 5 albums and 10 songs per year
March
1956, 1957, 1958 - 5 albums and 10 songs per year
April
1959, 1960, 1961 - 5 albums and 10 songs per year
May
1962, 1963, 1964 - 5 albums and 10 songs per year
June
1965 - 15 albums and 10 songs per year
July
1966 - 15 albums and 10 songs per year
August
1967 - 15 albums and 10 songs per year
September
1968 - 15 albums and 10 songs per year
October
1969 - 15 albums and 10 songs per year
November
1950s - top 50 albums and top 100 songs
December
1960s - top 100 albums and top 100 songs

Or we can do a 00s poll in January, move all yearly polls one month ahead and do both the 50s and 60s in December. Beautiful numbers, aren't they?

Well, Nicolas, that was the original plan and I like it. And of course I know that you are an absolute expert on pre 50s music (last Friday I listened for hours the music on your blog and I enjoyed it a lot, fascinating stuff as you said). I’m not sure if many people will participate in such a poll, but it could be great to have a Top 50 of songs from the first half of the XX Century (1900-1949). We can do this during the super-busy January and, as Henrik said, displace the yearly polls one month ahead and do both the 50s and 60s in December. Or maybe wait for this 1900-1949 poll till 2011? Hmm, I’m afraid I can’t decide, let’s see if there’s quorum enough…

Mmm, I’m beginning to like the idea more and more. Looking to my Top 250 (I will send it to you soon, Jackson) this would be my top 10 of 1900-1949:
1. SERGEY PROKOFIEV “Romeo and Juliet, Suite No. 2 for orchestra, No. 1 Montagues and Capulets” (1936)
2. BILLIE HOLIDAY “Strange Fruit” (1939).
3. JUDY GARLAND “Over the Rainbow” (1939).
4. DJANGO REINHARDT “Nuages” (1946)
5. LOTTE LENYA “Seeräuberjenny” (1931)
6. CHARLIE PARKER “A Night in Tunisia” (1946)
7. CARLOS GARDEL “Mano a mano” (1927)
8. LOUIS JORDAN “Five Guys Named Moe” (1942)
9. GLEN MILLER “Moonlight Serenade” (1939)
10. ROBERT JOHNSON “Crossroad Blues” (1936)

I'd definitely be up for a pre-1950's poll. For starters, I'm a big fan of the Dorsey/Sinatra stuff...

Edit: Not to mention the Goodbye Babylon set... such great gems in there!

Hell- Birth of the Cool was 1949!

A pre-'50s poll would certainly be interesting, (and I would like to submit at least a short list) but I would:
A. have it later than January (the forum is plenty crowded as it is)
B. keep it separate from the 50s/60s poll

If it's a matter of nobody wanting to manage it, I can step in and do a decade poll for songs and albums. If it's just a matter of little interest, we can just have a thread where people post their lists.

Alex D
A pre-'50s poll would certainly be interesting, (and I would like to submit at least a short list) but I would:
A. have it later than January (the forum is plenty crowded as it is)
B. keep it separate from the 50s/60s poll

I like Alex suggestion. So, why not keeping the original plan and during November voting the Top 50 50s albums, Top 100 50s songs and Top 100 pre-50s songs (because it makes no sense voting for pre50s albums)?

Moonbeam
If it's a matter of nobody wanting to manage it, I can step in and do a decade poll for songs and albums. If it's just a matter of little interest, we can just have a thread where people post their lists.

I can take either one (albums or songs).

I agree that we have a lot of polls coming/going right now but I also think that end of the decade lists are the most important ones to do right now. Of course there are many albums one hasn't heard and 09 favourites will definitely change when you got time perspective to them. But it'll be nice to look in the future what was your favourite songs and albums right then when the decade ended.

pop elton
Moonbeam

I can take either one (albums or songs).

That's fine by me.

By the way, Honorio, despite the busy poll schedule for the coming months, don't you worry about MY participation in the 50s/60s poll, or a pre-50s poll for that matter. Really looking forward to those.

Thanks, Mindrocker, your lists will be absolutely welcome.

So, is there any interest in me compiling results? I've got some leave in January, and could do it.

Count me in. EOD & EOY, please.

Moonbeam

Let's start the thread.