Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AMF All-Time Songs Poll: Recommendations Thread

This thread is for shamelessly plugging your favorite songs for our forum all-time songs poll that just began. Post links to some of your favorite underrated songs to rally support for them in the poll. Enjoy!

Re: AMF All-Time Songs Poll: Recommendations Thread

Bruce Springsteen- Rosalita
not even in the top 3000, i have no idea why.

Animal Collective- Fireworks
...it's gotta be done...

Tom Waits- I Don't Wanna Grow Up
Such a sad song

Wire- Mannequin
I'm not gonna say Pink Flag is a masterpiece, but it needs more love in here

Wu-Tang Clan- Bring Da Ruckus
One of the most fierce songs ever made

that's all for now. i'll plug some more later

Bruce is not one of my top 20 favorite artists, but I've always loved Rosalita. I think it's a lot more fun (and less earnest) than most of Bruce's other popular songs. It's a cliche, but I'd call the enthusiasm "infectious." Good choice.

A few great songs, not known enough imo :

I love Wire's "Mannequin;" it will receive a top 100 vote from me. It actually placed 117th in our `05 poll. For the Wu-Tang Clan, "Bring da Ruckus" is a good track, but I prefer (and will vote for) "C.R.E.A.M." and "Protect Ya Neck."

Jackson
I love Wire's "Mannequin;" it will receive a top 100 vote from me.

That'll be an easy top 40 song on my list as well. And I do consider "Pink Flag" a masterpiece... my #4 All-Time.

Pretty surprising picks, Michel. That's the spirit!

Jackson
I love Wire's "Mannequin;" it will receive a top 100 vote from me. It actually placed 117th in our `05 poll. For the Wu-Tang Clan, "Bring da Ruckus" is a good track, but I prefer (and will vote for) "C.R.E.A.M." and "Protect Ya Neck."

I was just about to make a post about how C.R.E.A.M is the greatest hip-hop song of all time, and implore the support of the AMF community. I'll have a list of personal favorites up soon.

By the way, how does one link to one of those fancy youtube videos?

Too early for me to add them to an "all-time" list but I liked the Einsturzende Neubaten and Hymie's Basement cuts. Thanks...

My favorite song of 2009: Annie's "Anthonio"

Here's a blurb taken from my review of its parent EP, All Night:

The middle track of the EP also forms its heart. "Anthonio" plays like a letter to a vanished ex, as Annie recounts the events that led to her heartbreak: a whirlwind romance with the titular lothario with "a silver tongue" full of promises left unfulfilled as her subsequent letters are "returned to sender". She sings with a cold detachment that is matched by several layers of truly icy synths that rise and fall in sines and cosines before bubbling over into a rather glorious chorus. The first four words are completely loaded with emotion ("Oh Anthonio" echoing her disappointment and heartache; "my Anthonio" revealing that she still cares) and given a truly lilting melody to convey a real sense of mourning. She then goes on to question whether she ever really mattered to him and if he ever wonders about her anymore. A key change augments the tension, while Annie dejectedly admits, "you got everything you ever wanted from me," while accepting that she was "just another girl" and it was "just another night" before dropping the ultimate bombshell: "My baby has your eyes". The rapturous pulse of the song coupled with Annie's bleeding heart make it perhaps the greatest example of Annie's blissful melancholy in her entire career. It follows that "Anthonio" is not only the best song to emerge out of the Don't Stop era, but one of the best pop songs of the entire decade.

Jackson

it's true but i just love the way he says "bring the mutha fuckin' ruckus." i think the delivery is fantastic.

Michel
A few great songs, not known enough imo :

Hey -- Minimal Compact! You don't often hear Sakharof and consorts being plugged.

yet stickin to me ole farty guns...

this post merely gives me THE occasion to mumble a humble starcrossed one... absolutely epic song list, SOS.. all hail to crossoverthreadotronics, yay! and good luck with Ou Nao... that's edgyville..

Paul
Bruce is not one of my top 20 favorite artists, but I've always loved Rosalita. I think it's a lot more fun (and less earnest) than most of Bruce's other popular songs. It's a cliche, but I'd call the enthusiasm "infectious." Good choice.

Why is it better because it's less earnest?

ChrisF
Paul

Why is it better because it's less earnest?

Just a personal preference of mine. I generally don't like art that takes itself too seriously, especially rock music.

Paul

Just a personal preference of mine. I generally don't like art that takes itself too seriously, especially rock music.

just enter the Stock/Aitken Waterman..

nj
Paul

You're older than your years, nj. I too was born in 77.

nj
Paul

I think you're making fun of me, but I never know.

Paul

...tottalitarrr... rong, namesake, kill ghidorah, kill midditah... i'm just winking, THEM are destoroying...

edit: still. no. me don't.

(read: no. not making fun of you at all. just ridiculing dupid postpostmodernism)

(just waiting for the mighty smog monstereur..)

nj
Paul

...tottalitarrr... rong, namesake, kill ghidorah, kill midditah... i'm just winking, THEM are destoroying...

(read: no. not making fun of you at all. just ridiculing dupid postpostmodernism)

He probably still doesn't know.

ChrisF
nj
Paul

He probably still doesn't know.

I'm always a little bit bewildered, so it's OK.