The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bracketology: Round 1, Week 21

WEEK 21

A little breakdown of this week's songs by decade...
1920s: 0
1930s: 0
1940s: 0
1950s: 1
1960s: 10
1970s: 9
1980s: 5
1990s: 3
2000s: 4

Also of note:
Two brackets from the Bach bloc
Two brackets from the Haydn bloc
Two songs by Bob Dylan

Here are this week's brackets. Remember, you can also view the brackets on this site. Voting is now open, and you have until 11:59 PM Pacific time on this upcoming Saturday to vote. Vote either in this thread or e-mail me.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 5
#51: "God Only Knows" - The Beach Boys [1966]
#462: "The Times They Are a-Changin'" - Bob Dylan [1964]
#563: "White Riot" - The Clash [1977]
#974: "Shame, Shame, Shame" - Shirley & Company [1975]

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 3
#135: "Subterranean Homesick Blues" - Bob Dylan [1965]
#378: "I Will Survive" - Gloria Gaynor [1979]
#647: "Famous Blue Raincoat" - Leonard Cohen [1971]
#890: "River Man" - Nick Drake [1969]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 9
#34: "Light My Fire" - The Doors [1967]
#479: "Please Mr. Postman" - The Marvelettes [1961]
#546: "Just Like Honey" - The Jesus & Mary Chain [1985]
#991: "Just Can't Get Enough" - Depeche Mode [1981]

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 13
#28: "Tutti Frutti" - Littl Richard [1955]
#485: "Hurt" - Johnny Cash [2002]
#540: "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" - Elton John [1973]
#997: "You've Got a Friend" - Carole King [1971]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 12
#95: "A Change Is Gonna Come" - Sam Cooke [1964]
#418: "Sweet Home Alabama" - Lynyrd Skynyrd [1974]
#607: "Luka" - Suzanne Vega [1987]
#930: "Such Great Heights" - The Postal Service [2003]

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 7
#186: "Summer in the City" - The Lovin' Spoonful [1966]
#327: "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor" - Arctic Monkeys [2006]
#698: "Everyday Is Like Sunday" - Morrissey [1988]
#839: "Help Me" - Joni Mitchell [1974]

RACHMANINOFF BLOC, BRACKET 8
#73: "When a Man Loves a Woman" - Percy Sledge [1966]
#440: "I Wanna Be Sedated" - The Ramones [1978]
#585: "Mind Playing Tricks on Me" - Geto Boys [1991]
#952: "Shook Ones, Pt. 2" - Mobb Deep [1995]

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 10
#217: "Radio Free Europe" - R.E.M. [1983]
#296: "Fake Plastic Trees" - Radiohead [1995]
#729: "Desolation Row" - Bob Dylan [1965]
#808: "Daft Punk Is Playing at My House" - LCD Soundsystem [2005]

Re: Bracketology: Round 1, Week 21

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "God Only Knows" - The Beach Boys [1966]
Easy, easy pick for #1. And considering my aversion to the Beach Boys when I was younger (and to a certain extent, this song also), a bit of a change for me. But really, this is about as close to perfection the Boys ever got in one song. "Good Vibrations" may be revolutionary, but "God Only Knows" is achingly beautiful.
2. "Shame, Shame, Shame" - Shirley & Company [1975]
Another surprise from me, considering my general distaste for all things disco, but the fact of the matter is that I'm not really a fan of the other two, and this one isn't half bad. And I don't know how many times I've been fooled by the fake fade-out.
3. "The Times They Are a-Changin'" - Bob Dylan [1964]
I'll grant you that it was probably a revolutionary track back in '64, what with the lyrical content and all, but listening to it now, it sounds oh so dated. And as I've said before, Dylan's harmonica playing at this point in time was godawful.
4. "White Riot" - The Clash [1977]
For as much acclaim as the Clash get around here and among critics, I really should be a bigger fan (I'll admit it, my opinions are easily swayed by peer pressure). But for as many times as I listen to them, they just sound really uninteresting to me. This song just epitomizes everything that the Clash is to me: tiresome.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "River Man" - Nick Drake [1969]
For the longest time, my only exposure to Nick Drake was when Volkswagen used "Pink Moon" in one of their commercials. A couple of years later, my folks bought a VW Beetle and got two CDs of music from VW commercials (Drake was on there), that they promptly gave to me. Later, I bought the "Garden State" soundtrack, and got to hear "One of These Things First." So far, that made two great songs by ND out of two.
Once I started following Acclaimed Music, this was the first Drake song I encountered, and subsequently downloaded. Three for three. The first time I heard it, I was just knocked back by how amazingly beautiful it is. And so simple too! Thank you for your music, Mr. Drake.
As someone who, like Drake, has suffered with depression, I can certainly understand what he was likely feeling during his last few years, but I really mourn his loss. What a truly sad story.
2. "I Will Survive" - Gloria Gaynor [1979]
Another disco song that gets the nod over two songs that I just don't really care about. Unlike in the previous bracket, this one is actually a great song. I can't hate a song that, whenever it comes on, I always listen to in its entirety, and to which I know all the words. Gaynor didn't need to do anything more after this song; her legacy was sealed.
3. "Subterranean Homesick Blues" - Bob Dylan [1965]
An iconic music video, sure. And it inspired one of my favorite music videos, INXS's "Need You Tonight/Mediate". But the song isn't that interesting, and whenever it comes on, I usually find myself pushing the button for the next track.
4. "Famous Blue Raincoat" - Leonard Cohen [1971]
Leonard Cohen might be the greatest songwriter in the history of the world, but I just can't get over his voice. That deep voice is just so annoying.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. "Light My Fire" - The Doors [1967]
I'll be the first person to say that the Doors are one of the most overrated bands of all time, but this song is a monster. My dad is convinced that José Feliciano's rendition of this song is better, and he is of course wrong.
2. "Just Like Honey" - The Jesus & Mary Chain [1985]
It's about the only JaMC song that I like, and it's a pretty damn good one too. I don't usually like a whole bunch of fuzzy, distorted guitars, but somehow it works here. And it works even better at the end of "Lost in Translation."
3. "Just Can't Get Enough" - Depeche Mode [1981]
For someone who (until about two years ago) only knew Depeche Mode as the band that did "Personal Jesus", I've been pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoy their earlier work as well. This one isn't my favorite of theirs, but it's still pretty darn good.
4. "Please Mr. Postman" - The Marvelettes [1961]
Early '60s girl group music all seems to sound the same to me, and this one is no different. I really don't care if I hear this one again or not.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. "Hurt" - Johnny Cash [2002]
Who could have ever predicted that Johnny Cash would be able to turn Trent Reznor's ode to heroin addiction into a reflection on a life almost over? Not only that, but who could have predicted that it would be better than the original? Or that it would be a massive crossover hit for the man in black? Or that it would produce one of the more amazing music videos in recent memory and that it would even get airplay on the non-country music channels? I'd be willing to put this song in the top five (or maybe top ten) of this decade. An amazing farewell from one of the more interesting figures in popular music.
2. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" - Elton John [1973]
One week after I spit out all kinds of hyperbole about my love for Elton John, I put this song in the #2 spot. Irony, much? Perhaps, but truth be told, I've never thought that this was one of his best songs. I can think of at least ten songs off the album "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" that are better than the title track. Heck, this song is on Elton's "Greatest Hits," and it's maybe the tenth-best song there (out of eleven).
So what am I getting at? As much as I love Elton, I'll be the first to admit that this is not one of his better songs. It does not deserve to go on. Now if, instead of this song, we had "Bennie and the Jets," "Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)," or "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me," Johnny Cash would be in the #2 spot, not Elton.
3. "Tutti Frutti" - Little Richard [1955]
It is maybe the greatest travesty in pop music history that Pat Boone's version of this song actually did better on the charts than Little Richard's. Penniman was a major force in making rock and roll popular, and this is one of my favorites of his, but it just can't compare to "Hurt" and Elton.
4. "You've Got a Friend" - Carole King [1971]
James Taylor's version is better.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 12
1. "A Change Is Gonna Come" - Sam Cooke [1964]
Timeless. A beautiful call for peace at a turbulent time, but it's still effective. Amazing song.
2. "Sweet Home Alabama" - Lynyrd Skynyrd [1974]
I always assumed that the boys from Lynyrd Skynyrd were just a bunch of "good ol' boys" from down south, but then I heard something that made me rethink that. I always thought they were saying, "In Birmingham, they love the governor/Ooh, ooh, ooh," but they are actually singing, "Boo, boo, boo." Why "boo"? At that time, the governor of Alabama was George Wallace, the outspoken advocate of segregation. Skynyrd were not fans of his policies, and this line reflects their sentiments. I've been a fan of Skynyrd ever since I found that out.
3. "Such Great Heights" - The Postal Service [2003]
How the hell did this song become the indie anthem of 2003? I won't say it's a bad song, but it's nothing terribly extraordinary. To reference the "Garden State" soundtrack again, I always thought Iron & Wine's cover was better.
4. "Luka" - Suzanne Vega [1987]
Fairly average song from a largely-forgotten artist.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "Summer in the City" - The Lovin' Spoonful [1966]
This one always brings back happy memories from my childhood. Who can fault me for putting that in the top spot?
2. "Help Me" - Joni Mitchell [1974]
Excellent jazz-inflected rock by one of my favorite artists, but I've always preferred "Free Man in Paris." This one's good, but not great.
3. "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor" - Arctic Monkeys [2006]
How in the world did Arctic Monkeys come to be "the next Beatles" so quickly? I'll grant you that this song is a whale of a song, with an infectiously catchy chorus, but the band's popularity just mystifies me.
4. "Everyday Is Like Sunday" - Morrissey [1988]
It's Morrissey.

1. "When a Man Loves a Woman" - Percy Sledge [1966]
Percy sang his ass off on this track. Emotion like that always gets me. When Percy comes in with that first line, his voice hits you just like his name would: like a sledge.
2. "Mind Playing Tricks on Me" - Geto Boys [1991]
One of rap music's one-hit wonders, this is a surprisingly effective ode to paranoia. Geto Boys may not have done much on the charts after this, but if you're a fan of the movie "Office Space," you've heard some of their other stuff. They did "Damn It Feels Good to Be a Gangster," and "Still" (the song that plays when Michael, Samir, and Peter start trashing the copy machine).
3. "Shook Ones, Pt. 2" - Mobb Deep [1995]
For a long time, I asked myself the question, "Is there such a thing as a halfway crook?" I'm glad Mobb Deep finally came around to answer my question. Joking aside, this is a darn good song, but SHTB3.
4. "I Wanna Be Sedated" - The Ramones [1978]
It's the Ramones. No thank you.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "Fake Plastic Trees" - Radiohead [1995]
I agonized over this bracket for a long time. This is without a doubt the most difficult bracket in all of Bracketology for me, since I adore all four songs. But something has to be #1, and it's gotta be this one. For my money, this is Radiohead's best song, not just off "The Bends," but of their entire career. My favorite moment of the whole thing is the moment when Yorke's voice breaks as he Yorke sings, "It wears..." Then the drums kick in, the guitars swell, and the third verse rolls in. I get chills.
2. "Desolation Row" - Bob Dylan [1965]
I remember reading a quote from Roger Ebert (I think) where he said that a good movie can't last long enough, and a bad movie can't end soon enough. I think the same could be said for songs. Even though this song is over eleven minutes long, I would gladly listen to another few verses of it. This song just can't go on long enough for me. Amazing stuff.
3. "Daft Punk Is Playing at My House" - LCD Soundsystem [2005]
I remember looking for this song's bracket and thinking, "Well, I'll be giving LCD Soundsystem a free pass into the second round for this song!" But then I got to its bracket and saw that it was against "Desolation Row" (oh crap), "Fake Plastic Trees" (oh crap!), and "Radio Free Europe" (OH CRAP!!!) I'm disappointed that this is up against such a stacked bracket, but something had to be #3.
4. "Radio Free Europe" - R.E.M. [1983]
Probably the best example of SHTB4. This is maybe the only bracket where this song, by far my favorite by R.E.M., would end up in the bottom spot.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 5
1: "The Times They Are A-Changin'" - Bob Dylan: My favorite Dylan song: simple, direct, and powerful.
2: "Shame, Shame, Shame" - Shirley & Company
3: "White Riot" - The Clash
4: "God Only Knows" - The Beach Boys: I won't deny that it contains some of the best hooks this side of a bait shop, but it's the sweet-as-eating-an-entire-can-of-Eagle-Brand lyrics that remain a roadblock. To me, Pet Sounds is still an overrated album.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 3
1: "River Man" - Nick Drake: I bought 'Pink Moon' on October 8, 2004 -- an act that would ultimately blow my musical world wide open. Having acquired the remainder of his output, and subsequently going through many periods where I would listen to nothing but Nick Drake, I still consider his final studio album to be his finest. But "River Man" is definitely a highlight of his debut record, and it's perhaps the darkest of the first half of his frustratingly short 5-year career, a time where the songs were more produced and the arrangements more elaborate. But frankly, music doesn't get much darker than a young man, in the final days of his depression-filled life and barely able to play acoustic guitar, singing "I'm growing old and I wanna go home." Take out your shoe laces before you put on Nick Drake.
2: "Subterranean Homesick Blues" - Bob Dylan
3: "Famous Blue Raincoat" - Leonard Cohen
4: "I Will Survive" - Gloria Gaynor

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 12
1: "A Change Is Gonna Come" - Sam Cooke: Knocked me on my ass on the first listen, and is still to this day my favorite Cooke song, and teetering on my top 50 songs of all time. Shame on all those who do not believe this to be a perfect song, for that, my children, is what it is.
2: "Luka" - Suzanne Vega
3: "Such Great Heights" - The Postal Service: It's not unpleasant, but not overly engaging or inspiring. Repeated listening goes unrewarded.
4: "Sweet Home Alabama" - Lynyrd Skynyrd: If I am ever lowered into the depths of hell, this will be playing in the elevator on the way down.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 7
1: "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor" - Arctic Monkeys: I wasn't exactly impressed when I first heard these guys three years ago, but this song has only gotten better and better since then.
2: "Summer in the City" - The Lovin' Spoonful
3: "Help Me" - Joni Mitchell
4: "Everyday Is Like Sunday" - Morrissey

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 10
1: "Fake Plastic Trees" - Radiohead: Probably the best Radiohead-for-beginners song, and maybe also their most popular song that I'm least likely to listen to, just due to overexposure. But this, track 4 of 'The Bends', is still a tremendously powerful five minutes, and while it wasn't until track 12 that Radiohead fully married image, substance, and sound into a powerful sonic package, this song is still a good example of the degree to which they outrank almost every other contemporary band.
2: "Radio Free Europe" - R.E.M.
3: "Desolation Row" - Bob Dylan
4: "Daft Punk Is Playing at My House" - LCD Soundsystem

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 5
1: "God Only Knows" - The Beach Boys [1966]
2: "The Times They Are a-Changin'" - Bob Dylan [1964]
3: "White Riot" - The Clash [1977]
4: "Shame, Shame, Shame" - Shirley & Company [1975]

Easy choice here even though Times would have won a lot of other brackets.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 3
1: "River Man" - Nick Drake [1969]
2: "Subterranean Homesick Blues" - Bob Dylan [1965]
3: "I Will Survive" - Gloria Gaynor [1979]
4: "Famous Blue Raincoat" - Leonard Cohen [1971]

Another easy choice. River Man is one of my favorite Nick Drake songs while Subterranean is not one of my favorite Dylan... the other two might as well have not shown up.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 9
1: "Please Mr. Postman" - The Marvelettes [1961]
2: "Just Can't Get Enough" - Depeche Mode [1981]
3: "Light My Fire" - The Doors [1967]
4: "Just Like Honey" - The Jesus & Mary Chain [1985]

Marvelettes wins the battle between the two simple pop songs. #3 and #4- overrated songs by overrated artists.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 13
1: "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" - Elton John [1973]
2: "You've Got a Friend" - Carole King [1971]
3: "Tutti Frutti" - Littl Richard [1955]
4: "Hurt" - Johnny Cash [2002]

Another easy one, I like James Taylor's version better.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 12
1: "A Change Is Gonna Come" - Sam Cooke [1964]
2: "Such Great Heights" - The Postal Service [2003]
3: "Luka" - Suzanne Vega [1987]
4: "Sweet Home Alabama" - Lynyrd Skynyrd [1974]

Very tough choice here, two of the most beautiful songs of all time- I went with the more powerful one. Luka and Sweet Home Alabama might have won other brackets but they fall far behind here.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 7
1: "Summer in the City" - The Lovin' Spoonful [1966]
2: "Everyday Is Like Sunday" - Morrissey [1988]
3: "Help Me" - Joni Mitchell [1974]
4: "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor" - Arctic Monkeys [2006]

The Spoonful's best but it took me a long time to realize it was actually them!

1: "I Wanna Be Sedated" - The Ramones [1978]
2: "Shook Ones, Pt. 2" - Mobb Deep [1995]
3: "Mind Playing Tricks on Me" - Geto Boys [1991]
4: "When a Man Loves a Woman" - Percy Sledge [1966]

1-3 are all kind of the same for me. I get that they're good but they don't do much for me.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 10
1: "Fake Plastic Trees" - Radiohead [1995]
2: "Desolation Row" - Bob Dylan [1965]
3: "Daft Punk Is Playing at My House" - LCD Soundsystem [2005]
4: "Radio Free Europe" - R.E.M. [1983]

Desolation Row would be #1 if it weren't for length. I love the song but unless I just had H61 on in the background, I would not listen to the whole thing. Song length is probably my only Dylan gripe, but when songs go on and on with the same structure, even if the melody is amazing, it gets draining.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 5

2. "White Riot" - The Clash [1977]
3. "The Times They Are a-Changin'" - Bob Dylan [1964]
4. "Shame, Shame, Shame" - Shirley & Company [1975]

"God Only Knows" is one of the best love songs ever written, easily dusting an otherwise quite mediocre bracket.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 3

1. "River Man" - Nick Drake [1969]
2. "Famous Blue Raincoat" - Leonard Cohen [1971]
3. "I Will Survive" - Gloria Gaynor [1979]
4. "Subterranean Homesick Blues" - Bob Dylan [1965]

TOUGH bracket here, I really love all 4 of these. Placing "I Will Survive" at No. 3 is particularly shocking, but it can't stand up against 2 of the best folk songs out there. Drake and Cohen really duked it out on this one, but "River Man" wins in the end on its atmosphere, but this one was close.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 9

1. "Just Like Honey" - The Jesus & Mary Chain [1985]
2. "Please Mr. Postman" - The Marvelettes [1961]
3. "Just Can't Get Enough" - Depeche Mode [1981]
4. "Light My Fire" - The Doors [1967]

Blech, what a bracket. "Just Like Honey" wins by default. All 4 of the songs in Haydn 3 above are better than "Please Mr. Postman" by a country mile.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 13

1. "Hurt" - Johnny Cash [2002]
2. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" - Elton John [1973]
3. "Tutti Frutti" - Littl Richard [1955]
4. "You've Got a Friend" - Carole King [1971]

Cash's version of "Hurt" is undeniably moving, and it wins rather easily.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 12

2. "Luka" - Suzanne Vega [1987]
3. "Such Great Heights" - The Postal Service [2003]
4. "Sweet Home Alabama" - Lynyrd Skynyrd [1974]

Even more of slam-dunk winner than "God Only Knows", "A Change Is Gonna Come" absolutely towers above the rest here, it's almost silly to compare them.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 7

1. "Help Me" - Joni Mitchell [1974]
2. "Everyday Is Like Sunday" - Morrissey [1988]
4. "Summer in the City" - The Lovin' Spoonful [1966]

Joni's wonderful "Help Me" just beats Morrissey's best song.

1. "Shook Ones, Pt. 2" - Mobb Deep [1995]
3. "I Wanna Be Sedated" - The Ramones [1978]
4. "When a Man Loves a Woman" - Percy Sledge [1966]

Crazy bracket -- 1-3 appear between 1000 and 2000 on my all-time songs list, and No. 4 just missed. Mobb Deep barely wins in the end.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 10

1. "Desolation Row" - Bob Dylan [1965]
2. "Radio Free Europe" - R.E.M. [1983]
3. "Fake Plastic Trees" - Radiohead [1995]
4. "Daft Punk Is Playing at My House" - LCD Soundsystem [2005]

Great group here, all 4 of these are quite good. "Desolation Row" is just a monster though, and despite their wonderfulness neither R.E.M. nor Radiohead can quite match up.

After a few weeks with a preponderance of songs about which I felt indifferent, bracketology comes roaring back with just an amazing week. I’d be happy to throw a party with these 32 songs as a playlist…well, if I could skip past the Doors song and the bottom half of Wagner 13, anyway.

VIVALDI 5
1. GOD ONLY KNOWS. My favorite Beach Boys song drew killer competition here—the second-strongest group of the week. Just to be superstitious, I’ll refrain from commenting here, on the assumption that we’ll be seeing this one again.
2. WHITE RIOT. This is light years from the great, polished work the Clash would release a couple of years later, but it’s the raw kernel of vitriol and raw energy from which everything they did grew. If you don’t like this, you don’t like punk.
3. THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGIN’. This is a great week for Dylan. I struggled to choose between #2 and #3, and took the cowardly way out by deciding that I had two more chances to recognize Bob this time out, and the Clash need more love around here. By the way, this song, and a cover of “Desolation Row” by My Chemical Romance (argh), were both used in the film Watchmen (in a very hamfisted way, which is par for that movie).
4. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME. A nice little number, grotesquely out of its depth here.

HAYDN 3
1. SUBTERRANEAN HOMESICK BLUES. Good bracket, but this is an easy, easy pick. Most rappers only wish they had rhymes like this, and Bob packs almost as much into this song’s two minutes as he does into “Desolation Row.”
2. RIVER MAN
3. FAMOUS BLUE RAINCOAT. Two critical, if not popular, icons of the singer-songwriter era at #2 and #3 here. I like Nick Drake a lot. I also like Cohen, but if I’m honest, I appreciate him more than I really like him, if that makes sense. The songs representing them here sum up my feelings pretty well.
4. I WILL SURVIVE. Shlocktastic feminist disco anthem. A majority of women I know, and every single gay man I know, love this, but it’s nothing I’d go out of my way to hear.

BACH 9
1. JUST LIKE HONEY. This reminds me…another song I could have mentioned in the “songs you’re surprised aren’t in the top 3000” thread is the Jesus and Mary Chain’s “Head On.” Anyhoo, this early swirly takes the biscuit here; might be Psychocandy’s best track. I still think that album’s influence is under-appreciated.
2. PLEASE MR. POSTMAN. Gladys Horton sounds pretty unsure of herself on this Holland-Dozier-Holland gem (she doesn’t really earn her ska-esque aside toward the end) but that just makes this puppy-love plea more endearing, and it’s a neat lyrical trick that it’s addressed to a third person. And oh, those backing vocals.
3. JUST CAN’T GET ENOUGH. There’s something very endearing about this song; its pop sentiments are as pure and true as “Mr. Postman,” and the—basically chanted—vocals, and incredibly crappy-sounding Casio keyboard, just add to the charm. Still, it’s a time-capsule piece.
4. LIGHT MY FIRE. Rock’s most overrated song, by rock’s most overrated band. It’ll win this bracket, and I’ll have to say so again (this must be what it feels like to be Moonbeam).

WAGNER 13. Chalk.
1. TUTTI FRUTTI. Early rock ‘n roll is such a meandering, inchoate beast that it’s hard to identify songs which, if they hadn’t existed, would have seriously subtracted from the genre’s forward momentum. But this definitely qualifies. Announcing rock’s first superstar with a genuinely insane performing style, Richard’s scatting has lost none of its potency 54 years later. This one is absolutely essential.
2. HURT. I hate having to put this second…and I don’t even think it’s the best thing to come out of the American Recordings sessions. If “Tutti Frutti” is announcing the iconic presence and charisma of fifties rock ‘n’ roll, this is another icon of that era, emerging fifty years later as an oracle.
3. GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD. The drop between #2 and #3 here should really require a pressurized suit. No, it’s not that bad, but ranking Elton’s best song between #500 and #750 (which translates to #3 in the average bracket) feels about right to me.
4. YOU’VE GOT A FRIEND. I’ve given up on Tapestry. I agree that Carole’s a hell of a songwriter, but it’s just not my cuppa. No points for the nasally JT’s cover, either.

BACH 12
1. A CHANGE IS GONNA COME. I can’t improve on what I said in ’07: “I cannot overstate how great this song is. It’s epic and sweeping, but there’s not an ounce of fat on it. It’s in the best tradition of gospel blues. It’s the best song about a difficult time that ended in my country’s proudest achievement of the last 50 years (that would be the Civil Rights movement). Oh, and, by the way, it’s the greatest soul song ever.”
2. LUKA. Musically, Suzanne Vega was one of the most severely limited critically-acclaimed artists of the 1980’s (non-hardcore division), but this simple ballad is ridiculously affecting. Like Sinatra, Vega knows just how much power you can get out of a simple, declamatory singing style (although, unlike Sinatra, the narrative voice and the subject matter do a lot of the heavy work on “Luka”).
3. SWEET HOME ALABAMA. I’m still not sure I understand the concept of a “guilty pleasure,” but I imagine this is as close as I get. I loathe good-old-boy piss-taking, but damn if this isn’t fun. Come to think, I’d love to wipe the vocals…this would be a great instrumental.
4. SUCH GREAT HEIGHTS. It’s very pretty, but there’s nothing here that you can’t find in a lot of other songs contemporary with it.

HAYDN 7
1. I BET YOU LOOK GOOD ON THE DANCEFLOOR. Yes, I’m a little bit surprised to be picking it first. I don’t know if the Monkeys are gonna go the distance, but they’ll never have to hang their heads about this blast of power-pop. This is what the Buzzcocks would sound like if: a) they were on speed, and b) their songs were about what happened before you met the girl, rather than after.
2. HELP ME. I was rather rude about singer-songwriter above, but Joni makes up for all of that. Witty and gorgeous (musically) is a great combination in any genre.
3. EVERYDAY IS LIKE SUNDAY. In which Moz reinvents himself as a crooner. I think maybe the passage of time has enabled me to draw a distinction between the sense that if I ever met the man I’d be tempted to kick him, and the fact that he’s created some pretty amazing music (case in point here). Still, I wouldn’t want a whole album of this.
4. SUMMER IN THE CITY. A fun beachside single with impressive aspirations, but it leaves me flat.

RACHMANINOFF 8
1. I WANNA BE SEDATED. Ramones songs keep popping up, and I keep putting them in their rightful place atop brackets. Maybe this skewed autobiographical ditty, which today is their most famous song, will impel enough people to join me this time.
2. MIND PLAYING TRICKS ON ME. Pretty sure I’m giving this the nod over Percy Sledge because I think I get a free hometown vote. I’m happy to bestow it on my fellow Houstonians the Geto Boys (I doubt I’d do this for Beyoncé, and ZZ Top is unrepresented in the tournament). Of course, this is hardly the most flattering depiction of my beloved Bayou City…or at least of the effects it can have on its citizens.
3. WHEN A MAN LOVES A WOMAN. A fantastic love song. I don’t mean this as a knock, but in the 60s I imagine Percy Sledge was for people who thought Otis Redding was a little too vociferous.
4. SHOOK ONES, PT. 2. It’s OK.

MAHLER 10. Matt, it’s interesting that you identified this as the strongest bracket in the first round…because I came to the same conclusion the first time I read through the groups, and I’ve kind of been dreading seeing it pop up (it’s especially interesting because you and I seem to have pretty divergent tastes!). The top three songs here would win almost any other bracket (and #4 would win about half the first-round brackets). But positions must be taken, so here we go:
1. RADIO FREE EUROPE. Big shock, huh? I don’t know what it’s about. You don’t know what it’s about. I doubt Michael did (or does) either. The oblique words form no narrative or lyric structure; they’re just there, like the vocal performance itself, to evoke a mood. It’s one of the great tonal shifts in rock history. Just as “White Riot” was the nucleus of the Clash, here’s the DNA of a band whose influence has been incalculable. And this song was influential because it’s a perfect pop construction—on the order of songs like “God Only Knows” and “A Change Is Gonna Come.” Doesn’t matter that it’s inscrutable. Compare this with #2 here, in which the lyrics are almost everything. That’s reason enough for me (since, to be honest, I was looking for a reason) to pick “Radio Free Europe” first.
2. DESOLATION ROW. My favorite Dylan song still comes second behind my, I dunno, #4 or #5 R.E.M. song, which is further evidence, if it were needed, of my fondness for R.E.M. I’m not normally a fan of really long songs, but this is exactly as long as it should be. It’s the finest lyrical accomplishment of the finest lyricist in pop music history, and one of his most beautiful songs to boot. Why would you want it to end, exactly?
3. FAKE PLASTIC TREES. I like to think that the first time they heard this, U2 were looking around at each other thinking “uh oh…” A great anthem from a highly anthemic album, this is, nevertheless, among the least interesting of Radiohead’s major hits (this might well be colored by my not really appreciating the band until well after In Rainbows came out). Still, we should all perform so well on our off days.
4. DAFT PUNK IS PLAYING AT MY HOUSE. Oh, man, I love this song. It was the first LCDS track I ever heard (for that matter, it was probably the first I’d heard of Daft Punk), and for that alone I’ve always had a soft spot for it. In a genre I don’t normally pay much attention to, this is the real goods. SH2B$%*&@4.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 5
#462: "The Times They Are a-Changin'" - Bob Dylan [1964]
Maybe the best Dylan song from the 'folk god' era of his career.
#563: "White Riot" - The Clash [1977]
Love early Clash.
#51: "God Only Knows" - The Beach Boys [1966]
One of the most perfectly crafted pop songs. In most of the brackets from last week it would have easily been first or second.
#974: "Shame, Shame, Shame" - Shirley & Company [1975]
Good song, but the vocals are a bit too shrill.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 3
#135: "Subterranean Homesick Blues" - Bob Dylan [1965]
When I was first getting into classic rock, this was the first track on one of the first 60's rock albums I heard. Two seconds in, I was a convert. On another note: "JUDAS!"
#890: "River Man" - Nick Drake [1969]
Nick Drake has more in common with 90's indie-folk than any of his contemporaries. Maybe that's why he's had a resurgence in popularity.
#647: "Famous Blue Raincoat" - Leonard Cohen [1971]
Good dark, brooding, moody, folk song.
#378: "I Will Survive" - Gloria Gaynor [1979]
Good version of the song, but all the ways it differentiates itself from the original I think detrect from it. I Will Survive should sound soulful, not orchestal.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 9
#34: "Light My Fire" - The Doors [1967]
Not even close to being the strongest song on the album. I don't know how it's #34. Maybe because it's the most accessible. It doesn't have the same power as their other stuff. Though I like the solos.
#546: "Just Like Honey" - The Jesus & Mary Chain [1985]
Good atmospheric song.
#991: "Just Can't Get Enough" - Depeche Mode [1981]
I like the weird 8-bit-video-game style synthesizer stuff. Maybe I need some Depeche Mode albums other than Violator.
#479: "Please Mr. Postman" - The Marvelettes [1961]
Comes off a little too clingy and desperate. Seriously, maybe he's just not that into you.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 13
#485: "Hurt" - Johnny Cash [2002]
Johnny Cash is surprisingly good at covering genres you'd think his style would be incompatible with.
#540: "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" - Elton John [1973]
#997: "You've Got a Friend" - Carole King [1971]
Too much schmaltz.
#28: "Tutti Frutti" - Little Richard [1955]
Little Richard was always sold more for his character than his actual music. His music is cheesy and showy, and sometimes irritatingly middle of the road.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 12
#95: "A Change Is Gonna Come" - Sam Cooke [1964]
Noone's better than Sam Cooke at what he does.
#607: "Luka" - Suzanne Vega [1987]
A beautiful, chilling song about domestic abuse.
#418: "Sweet Home Alabama" - Lynyrd Skynyrd [1974]
One of the best rock guitar riffs. I like the way he responds to anti-southern songs directly. I like the Drive By Truckers' analysis of the feud: "Neil Young and Ronnie Van Zandt were fans of each other, the feud was only in the song".
#930: "Such Great Heights" - The Postal Service [2003]
A lot of good ideas, but it all seems a bit too manufactured.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 7
#327: "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor" - Arctic Monkeys [2006]
One of the few Arctic Monkeys songs deserving of it's acclaim.
#186: "Summer in the City" - The Lovin' Spoonful [1966]
...How have I never heard this?
#839: "Help Me" - Joni Mitchell [1974]
#698: "Everyday Is Like Sunday" - Morrissey [1988]
Pretty much what you expect from Morrissey. It's a good song, but this is a strong bracket.

#440: "I Wanna Be Sedated" - The Ramones [1978]
Antoher really fun song.
#952: "Shook Ones, Pt. 2" - Mobb Deep [1995]
Good rapping, good sample. Good atmosphere and a catchy chorus.
#73: "When a Man Loves a Woman" - Percy Sledge [1966]
#585: "Mind Playing Tricks on Me" - Geto Boys [1991]
I'm 90% sure actual gangsters' lives aren't nearly as eventful as they are in rap songs. Like, I'm sure they occasionally go twenty four hours without getting in a gun battle.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 10
#296: "Fake Plastic Trees" - Radiohead [1995]
Pre-experimental Radiohead was still some of the best rock music out there. Good enough to win even this stacked bracket.
#729: "Desolation Row" - Bob Dylan [1965]
Awesome song, but come on. Twelve minutes for what comes off like just styled poetic rambling?
#808: "Daft Punk Is Playing at My House" - LCD Soundsystem [2005]
I love LCD Soundsystem's cheeky approach to hipsterism.
#217: "Radio Free Europe" - R.E.M. [1983]
Maybe the best song I've ever put in 4th place.

Just a heads-up... Only 18-1/2 hours left to vote this week, and so far there's only 5-1/2 ballots! So hurry, hurry, hurry!

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 5
2. "The Times They Are a-Changin'" - Bob Dylan [1964]
3. "White Riot" - The Clash [1977]
4. "Shame, Shame, Shame" - Shirley & Company [1975]

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Famous Blue Raincoat" - Leonard Cohen [1971]
2. "I Will Survive" - Gloria Gaynor [1979]
3. "River Man" - Nick Drake [1969]
4. "Subterranean Homesick Blues" - Bob Dylan [1965]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. "Please Mr. Postman" - The Marvelettes [1961]
2. "Just Like Honey" - The Jesus & Mary Chain [1985]
3. "Light My Fire" - The Doors [1967]
4. "Just Can't Get Enough" - Depeche Mode [1981]

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" - Elton John [1973]
2. "You've Got a Friend" - Carole King [1971]
3. "Tutti Frutti" - Littl Richard [1955]
4. "Hurt" - Johnny Cash [2002]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 12
2. "Luka" - Suzanne Vega [1987]
3. "Sweet Home Alabama" - Lynyrd Skynyrd [1974]
4. "Such Great Heights" - The Postal Service [2003]

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "Summer in the City" - The Lovin' Spoonful [1966]
2. "Help Me" - Joni Mitchell [1974]
4. "Everyday Is Like Sunday" - Morrissey [1988]

1. "I Wanna Be Sedated" - The Ramones [1978]
3. "When a Man Loves a Woman" - Percy Sledge [1966]
4. "Shook Ones, Pt. 2" - Mobb Deep [1995]

1. "Radio Free Europe" - R.E.M. [1983]
2. "Desolation Row" - Bob Dylan [1965]
3. "Fake Plastic Trees" - Radiohead [1995]
4. "Daft Punk Is Playing at My House" - LCD Soundsystem [2005]

Top to bottom, this has been the strongest week of Bracketology I've participated in. Most of my number 3 and 4 songs are really good.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "God Only Knows" - The Beach Boys [1966]: 5/5 The fact that “Good Vibrations” is generally higher-rated than this does not surprise me, but does anyone know why this is only number 51 on AM? “God Only Knows” is right up there in “Like a Rolling Stone” and “A Day in the Life” territory, and has just as much claim to being the greatest song ever as those two.
2. "White Riot" - The Clash [1977] 3.5/5 “Complete Control” and “Janie Jones” are much better from the Clash’s debut album, and about 10-15 songs from London Calling are better than this.
3. "The Times They Are a-Changin'" - Bob Dylan [1964]: 3.5/5 Bob Dylan is pretty much the man for me, but this song is perhaps the best example of cultural/historical importance exceeding musical merit. Dylan has written at least fifty songs better than this.
4. "Shame, Shame, Shame" - Shirley & Company [1975]: 2.5/5 Saying this song is outclassed in this bracket is quite an understatement.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Subterranean Homesick Blues" - Bob Dylan [1965] 5/5 Without a doubt the most badass, fun song that Dylan ever did.
2. "Famous Blue Raincoat" - Leonard Cohen [1971]: 4.5/5 Even Cohen himself doesn’t know what these lyrics mean, but the eerie atmosphere created by the backing vocals justify this as a classic out of his catalog.
3. "River Man" - Nick Drake [1969] 3.5/5 I love Bryter Layer and Pink Moon, but this song doesn’t seem that special to me. Maybe I need to listen to it in the context of its album.
4. "I Will Survive" - Gloria Gaynor [1979] 3.5/5 Good disco song is stomped on by three of the greatest singer-songwriters of all time in this particular bracket.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. "Just Like Honey" - The Jesus & Mary Chain [1985]: 5/5 I now know the drum beat that carries this song was taken from “Be My Baby,” but I fell in love with this song before I had ever heard the Ronettes’ pop classic. That incredibly simple, yet so catchy beat combined with the warm, fuzzy guitars makes this one of my favorite songs.
2. "Light My Fire" - The Doors [1967]: 4.5/5 The perfect song gets rudely interrupted by long keyboard and guitar solos. If this track was about 90 seconds shorter, it would be as good as critics think it is.
3. "Just Can't Get Enough" - Depeche Mode [1981]: 4/5 Depeche Mode is currently on the short list of bands I really need to get into. This groovy synth-pop track is among the best I’ve heard from them, though not quite approaching their Violater-era material.
4. "Please Mr. Postman" - The Marvelettes [1961]: 3.5/5 A fine pop moment despite being REALLY repetitive.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. "Hurt" - Johnny Cash [2002]: 5/5 Do songs get any more devastating than this? A perfect combination of vocal performance, music, and lyrics turned this into a surprise classic.
2. "Tutti Frutti" - Little Richard [1955]: 4/5 A fun track that’s a classic of its era, but it’s hard to picture anyone today listening to this for fun.
3. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" - Elton John [1973]: 3/5 This song has been killed by classic rock radio stations, but it’s still at least halfway decent. It can’t compete with the other singles from this album, though.
4. "You've Got a Friend" - Carole King [1971]: 2/5 No thanks.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 12
1. "A Change Is Gonna Come" - Sam Cooke [1964]: 5/5 It’s hard to picture someone who actively dislikes this song. I don’t think I would like to meet that person.
2. "Such Great Heights" - The Postal Service [2003]: 4/5 I wish I had heard this song before the awful Owl City song “Fireflies,” which sounds similar on the surface. It’s obvious that “Such Great Heights” is on a completely different playing field than that awful song, and I’m beginning to enjoy it more and more.
3. "Sweet Home Alabama" - Lynyrd Skynyrd [1974]: 4/5 Along with “Y.M.C.A.,” “Stairway to Heaven,” and “Celebration,” this is one of the most overplayed songs in human history. I can’t get excited about it anymore, but it’s relatively enjoyable.
4. "Luka" - Suzanne Vega [1987]: 2/5 Blown away in yet another tough bracket. I don’t see any reason why this is critically acclaimed.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "Summer in the City" - The Lovin' Spoonful [1966]: 4.5/5 One of the greatest pop singles of the sixties not by the Beatles, the Kinks, or Motown.
2. "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor" - Arctic Monkeys [2006]: 4/5 It’s picking up a ton of love on end-of-decade lists so far, and deservedly so. It’s full of personality and urgency.
3. "Everyday Is Like Sunday" - Morrissey [1988]: 3/5 Morrissey is so much better with Johnny Marr playing guitar behind him.
4. "Help Me" - Joni Mitchell [1974]: 3/5

1. "Shook Ones, Pt. 2" - Mobb Deep [1995]: 4/5 This song is so good, it virtually assures that I’ll check out its album, The Infamous.
2. "I Wanna Be Sedated" - The Ramones [1978]: 4/5 Like most Ramones songs, the only thing I can think to say about it is that it’s a very well-constructed pop song.
3. "Mind Playing Tricks on Me" - Geto Boys [1991]: 4/5 Pretty much the most cliché rap lyrics ever, but I can’t help but like it.
4. "When a Man Loves a Woman" - Percy Sledge [1966]: 3/5 Extremely overrated, this song gets blasted by three songs ranked far below it in this bracket.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "Desolation Row" - Bob Dylan [1965] 5/5 It is very likely that no song will ever be made that has lyrics as fascinating as these.
2. "Radio Free Europe" - R.E.M. [1983]: 4/5 My first listen to Murmur was a great disappointment, but I did like this song.
3. "Fake Plastic Trees" - Radiohead [1995]: 3/5 I love Radiohead, but this song just doesn’t do it for me.
4. "Daft Punk Is Playing at My House" - LCD Soundsystem [2005]: 3/5 I love LCD Soundsystem, but this song just doesn’t do it for me.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "God Only Knows" - The Beach Boys [1966]: Quite possibly the most beautiful pop recording ever made, and one of the easiest #1’s in this entire tournament.
2. "White Riot" - The Clash [1977]: Their debut single, and both musically and lyrically a succinct representation of what they did best, although I like numerous other tracks on the first album more.
3. "Shame, Shame, Shame" - Shirley & Company [1975]: Classic and fun early disco.
4. "The Times They Are a-Changin'" - Bob Dylan [1964]: The title song of his last straightforward protest album, and not really one that holds up all that well. Hate to put a Dylan track in last place, but there you go.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Famous Blue Raincoat" - Leonard Cohen [1971]: The more I listen to Cohen the more I think he might be my favorite songwriter, and this elegiac, elliptical tale of cuckoldry and redemption is my favorite Cohen song. A lot of other people’s too, apparently.
2. "Subterranean Homesick Blues" - Bob Dylan [1965]: The raucous introduction to Dylan: The Electric Years, one of the most fertile creative periods any artist has ever had.
3. "River Man" - Nick Drake [1969]: I admire Drake and go back to the albums often, but I don’t quite get his almost cultlike veneration. I’ve always found this song (and much of FLL as a whole, really; it’s my least favorite of the three) a bit lugubrious.
4. "I Will Survive" - Gloria Gaynor [1979]: A classic statement of empowerment, but I don’t ever need to hear it again.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. "Light My Fire" - The Doors [1967]: An overplayed song by an overrated band, but it’s their best track, with one of the all-time great organ riffs; after all these years, I still find everything that follows the instrumental break tremendously exciting.
2. "Just Like Honey" - The Jesus & Mary Chain [1985]: From its ballsy cop of the “Be My Baby” drum intro to its buzzing guitars and innuendo-laden lyrics, this was the perfect intro (for most listeners) to a band with an approach so startlingly unique that even they only sustained it for one album.
3. "Please Mr. Postman" - The Marvelettes [1961]: Motown’s first #1 single, and deservedly so. Effortlessly appealing, with great girl-group call and response.
4. "Just Can't Get Enough" - Depeche Mode [1981]: Who could have guessed from this catchy but innocuous synth-pop tune that they’d still be around and worshipped all these years later?

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. "Tutti Frutti" - Little Richard [1955]: One of the greatest and most iconic of the early rock ‘n’ roll classics. Not much more to be said.
2. "Hurt" - Johnny Cash [2002]: As Cash covers go, I still prefer “The Mercy Seat.” But his brilliant take on a song so personal you wouldn’t think anyone -could- cover it is inspired and even more unexpected – and, of course, it’s inextricably tied to a video that gets my vote as the greatest ever made.
3. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" - Elton John [1973]: It isn’t even one of my five favorite songs on the album for which it’s the title track, but I often find myself humming those wordless vocal lines in spite of myself. Damn you, Elton!
4. "You've Got a Friend" - Carole King [1971]: I love several songs on TAPESTRY; the fact that this isn’t one of them may be due to overexposure to the James Taylor version, but that doesn’t change anything.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 12
1. "Sweet Home Alabama" - Lynyrd Skynyrd [1974]: Another of the songs I grew up with on classic-rock radio. Skynyrd were often underestimated because people saw them as rednecks; they -were- rednecks, and proud of it, but there’s an ambivalence there that tends to get overlooked. Patterson Hood has made the argument for these guys better than anyone, but as many have already pointed out here, this song is well aware that not everything about Alabama is worth celebrating. And you gotta love the piano.
2. "A Change Is Gonna Come" - Sam Cooke [1964]: Cooke’s great, incredibly powerful posthumous single about a future he didn’t live to see.
3. "Luka" - Suzanne Vega [1987]: How improbable is it that an arty folk-pop singer-songwriter suddenly found herself with a huge hit single sung from the POV of an abused child? But it was a hit because it’s damn catchy and hooky, and its popularity brought attention to the issue, which is kind of the definition of a win-win.
4. "Such Great Heights" - The Postal Service [2003]: A terrific record, but SH2B4.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "Summer in the City" - The Lovin' Spoonful [1966]: I can only imagine how startling the Spoonful’s biggest hit must have sounded following its sweet, genial predecessors; it’s basically a folk-rock group’s idea of what rock and roll sounds like, but it’s a great single with a fantastic electric piano hook.
2. "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor" - Arctic Monkeys [2006]: They were the hype of ’06 for good reason; again, there are a few tracks on the debut that are even better at exemplifying their intoxicating mix of tumbling wordplay and intricate guitar arrangements, but the single certainly doesn’t suffer much by comparison.
3. "Help Me" - Joni Mitchell [1974]: In which the most gifted singer-songwriter of the Seventies aims squarely for a hit, and lands one. Everything she did in this era was golden, but this is probably the least interesting song on COURT AND SPARK.
4. "Everyday Is Like Sunday" - Morrissey [1988]: The second track from VIVA HATE in this tournament, and while it’s good – who else could make a day at the beach such an uninviting proposition? – I like “Suedehead” a lot more.

1. "When a Man Loves a Woman" - Percy Sledge [1966]: Another easy #1, for one of the greatest singles ever. Even if it takes a few listens to realize it’s not really a love song at all.
2. "I Wanna Be Sedated" - The Ramones [1978]: Not their best song – almost anything from the first three albums tops it – but it’s still great and certainly instantly memorable. And it was used brilliantly in an episode of MY SO-CALLED LIFE, so it’s got that going for it as well.
3. "Mind Playing Tricks on Me" - Geto Boys [1991]: One of the most chilling hip-hop tracks – and portraits of paranoia in general – ever recorded, particularly the nightmarish final verse.
4. "Shook Ones, Pt. 2" - Mobb Deep [1995]: Good, but has the misfortune of being in the same bracket as #3.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "Fake Plastic Trees" - Radiohead [1995]: I’ll echo the consensus that this is probably the finest bracket in the entire tournament, packed top to bottom with tracks that could top almost any other. #2 has been one of my favorites for over 25 years, but this one, one of the highlights of THE BENDS, is a better and more majestic song, so it just barely gets the nod.
2. "Radio Free Europe" - R.E.M. [1983]: As I just said, I’ve loved this song (in the version that opens MURMUR) since it came out. The perfect introduction to their singular sound.
3. "Desolation Row" - Bob Dylan [1965]: I confess I used to find this song tedious, even though H61R has always been one of my favorite albums – it probably doesn’t need to be -quite- so long. But over the years I’ve grown to appreciate the flood of memorable images and bizarre character portraits.
4. "Daft Punk Is Playing at My House" - LCD Soundsystem [2005]: Best. #4. Ever. Hilarious and brilliant. More cowbell!

Up to 8-1/2 ballots now! Keep 'em coming, gang! But only 9-1/2 hours left!

Matt... instead of the hourly Saturday night mushing, maybe you could focus your energy on Sunday morning results?

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 5
1 - "God Only Knows" - The Beach Boys [1966]
2 - "The Times They Are a-Changin'" - Bob Dylan [1964]
3 - "White Riot" - The Clash [1977]
4 - "Shame, Shame, Shame" - Shirley & Company [1975]

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 3
1 - "River Man" - Nick Drake [1969]
2 - "Subterranean Homesick Blues" - Bob Dylan [1965]
3 - "Famous Blue Raincoat" - Leonard Cohen [1971]
4 - "I Will Survive" - Gloria Gaynor [1979]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 9
1 - "Just Like Honey" - The Jesus & Mary Chain [1985]
2 - "Light My Fire" - The Doors [1967]
3 - "Just Can't Get Enough" - Depeche Mode [1981]
4 - "Please Mr. Postman" - The Marvelettes [1961]

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 13
1 - "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" - Elton John [1973]
2 - "Hurt" - Johnny Cash [2002]
3 - "Tutti Frutti" - Littl Richard [1955]
4 - "You've Got a Friend" - Carole King [1971]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 12
1 - "A Change Is Gonna Come" - Sam Cooke [1964]
2 - "Sweet Home Alabama" - Lynyrd Skynyrd [1974]
3 - "Such Great Heights" - The Postal Service [2003]
4 - "Luka" - Suzanne Vega [1987]

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 7
1 - "Everyday Is Like Sunday" - Morrissey [1988]
2 - "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor" - Arctic Monkeys [2006]
3 - "Help Me" - Joni Mitchell [1974]
4 - "Summer in the City" - The Lovin' Spoonful [1966]

1 - "When a Man Loves a Woman" - Percy Sledge [1966]
2 - "I Wanna Be Sedated" - The Ramones [1978]
3 - "Mind Playing Tricks on Me" - Geto Boys [1991]
4 - "Shook Ones, Pt. 2" - Mobb Deep [1995]

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 10
1 - "Fake Plastic Trees" - Radiohead [1995]
2 - "Desolation Row" - Bob Dylan [1965]
3 - "Radio Free Europe" - R.E.M. [1983]
4 - "Daft Punk Is Playing at My House" - LCD Soundsystem [2005]

Pretty easy choices for #1 in most of the brackets. 'River Man' must be the best #4 seed of a bracket ever...

Voting for this week is now over. I'll have your results for you in a little bit.

RESULTS

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "God Only Knows" - The Beach Boys (35 points, 8 first-place votes)
2. "The Times They Are a-Changin'" - Bob Dylan (26, 2)
3. "White Riot" - The Clash (24, 0)
4. "Shame, Shame, Shame" - Shirley & Company (15, 0)

In the next round: Carl Perkins' "Blue Suede Shoes"; the Smiths' "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out"

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "River Man" - Nick Drake (32, 5)
2. "Subterranean Homesick Blues" - Bob Dylan (28, 3)
3. "Famous Blue Raincoat" - Leonard Cohen (24, 2)
4. "I Will Survive" - Gloria Gaynor (16, 0)

In the next round: Otis Redding's "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay"; the Beach Boys' "I Get Around"

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. "Just Like Honey" - The Jesus & Mary Chain (29, 4)
2. "Light My Fire" - The Doors (24, 3)
3. "Please Mr. Postman" - The Marvelettes (20, 2)
4. "Just Can't Get Enough" - Depeche Mode (17, 0)

In the next round: Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit"

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. "Hurt" - Johnny Cash (27, 4)
2. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" - Elton John (27, 3)
3. "Tutti Frutti" - Littl Richard (22, 2)
4. "You've Got a Friend" - Carole King (14, 0)

NOTE: Once again, we must go to the "comments preferred" caveat, and if the uncommented ballots are taken out, the final score is Cash 23, Elton 19. "Hurt" advances.

In the next round: TV on the Radio's "Wolf Like Me"

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 12
1. "A Change Is Gonna Come" - Sam Cooke (39, 9)
2. "Luka" - Suzanne Vega (22, 0)
3. "Sweet Home Alabama" - Lynyrd Skynyrd (21, 1)
4. "Such Great Heights" - The Postal Service (18, 0)

In the next round: Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit"; the Jesus & Mary Chain's "Just Like Honey"

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "Summer in the City" - The Lovin' Spoonful (29, 5)
2. "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor" - Arctic Monkeys (28, 3)
3. "Help Me" - Joni Mitchell (24, 1)
4. "Everyday Is Like Sunday" - Morrissey (19, 1)

In the next round: Martha & the Vandellas' "Dancing in the Street"; Pearl Jam's "Jeremy"

1. "I Wanna Be Sedated" - The Ramones (28, 4)
2. "When a Man Loves a Woman" - Percy Sledge (21, 3)
3. "Mind Playing Tricks on Me" - Geto Boys (21, 0)
4. "Shook Ones, Pt. 2" - Mobb Deep (20, 2)

In the next round: the Beach Boys' "California Girls"; Daft Punk's "One More Time"

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "Fake Plastic Trees" - Radiohead (32, 6)
2. "Desolation Row" - Bob Dylan (30, 2)
3. "Radio Free Europe" - R.E.M. (25, 2)
4. "Daft Punk Is Playing at My House" - LCD Soundsystem (13, 0)

In the next round: Smokey Robinson & the Miracles' "The Tracks of My Tears"; Wilson Pickett's "In the Midnight Hour"; the Troggs' "Wild Thing"

I can't believe Dylan went 0-3, especially with "Subterranean Homesick Blues" and "Desolation Row," which are two of his best. Choosing between "God Only Knows" and "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" in the next round will be impossible.

Damnit! I had a ballot 3/4 of the way filled out last night when I accidentally closed out the page, and I forgot about the new comments rule, so I absentmindedly didn't submit my votes. I would have put Desolation Row through! Aaargh! #$#@!