Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: AMG 5 stars for the 00s...which albums are ready to move up?

I haven't come across a page listing all 5-star ratings (imagine it may be a lot of them; remember the ratings supposedly only are to be compared with an act's own albums and their other ratings, so a 5-star album may happen in some cases that it normal would not- just a thought, though).

AMG has something like 1300 5 stars, including comps.

"not just the best album of 1999, The Soft Bulletin might be the best record of the entire decade." Yet the writer who wrote the review still only gives it a 4.5

I always joked about that with friends. There are some 5 star reviews that basically tear the album apart, and some less than 5 star reviews that make you scratch your head and ask "Why didn't they give it a 5 if they like it so much?"

I think to a degree the rating is to be compared to other albums by that artist, but not all artists get 5 star albums. Also, I think the review is sometimes not linked to the star rating. Often the review is the original review--written before the album acheived classic status. I think the star ratings tend to be based on consensus rather than a particular critic's view--at least after the album is several years old.