The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Post something surprising about your taste

I'm known as a purepop/powerpop/beachboyichpop and that's right.
But let me tell you that Frank Zappa "Hot rats" and Mr.Bungle "California" are in my 10 favourite records of all-time ! :)

An other thing about my tastes in music : I've often said that I hate '80s music.
But these 2 last years, '80s music is what I've listened to the most ! I'm a very huge fan of XTC and Prefab Sprout, also a lot of Squeeze, Aztec Camera and Elvis Costello.
If people here could make me other recommandations in this kind of '80 pop, I would be very grateful.
Last year my endless love for the Cut Copy album "In ghost colours" has made want to explore '80s synth-pop genre. Here again, please share your recommandations :)

Dumbangel

Last year my endless love for the Cut Copy album "In ghost colours" has made want to explore '80s synth-pop genre. Here again, please share your recommandations :)

Try Alain Bashung's "Play Blessures" album.

And the surprising thing about my taste, me, the secon big fan of Prince in this site, it's my love of Robbie williams songs I'm totally out of all this kind of music but, I don't know why, I found this guy interesting.

Dumbangel
An other thing about my tastes in music : I've often said that I hate '80s music.
But these 2 last years, '80s music is what I've listened to the most ! I'm a very huge fan of XTC and Prefab Sprout, also a lot of Squeeze, Aztec Camera and Elvis Costello.
If people here could make me other recommandations in this kind of '80 pop, I would be very grateful.

80s synth pop is perhaps my favorite genre! I think Eurythmics represent the pinnacle of 80s synth pop- any of their first 4 albums are just excellent. I started a thread here reviewing each album and with a playlist of songs!

I like Alanis Morisette.

Also, when I watched Rock Star: INXS and Rock Star: Supernova, I really liked most of the performances.

I guess my fandom of Miranda Lambert is a big aberration from my usual tastes, but I've advertised that enough here that you'd no longer be surprised.

One interesting thing I noticed from our 80s poll last year was my approach to appreciating music from that decade.

Since my musical awakening was about 1991-1993, the attitudes of those grunge musicians towards the previous decade couldn't have been more hostile, reflected in their lyrical attitudes and sounds.

But as I listened to some radio in the later years of that decade, I began to find a real liking towards the crispness and catchiness of those 80s radio hits... especially anything that used the synth-sounds to their advantage and were innocent and happy melodies without production that was too slick, overblown, or overshadowed by the pop star / celebrity phenomenon. Finding some bargain collections of 80s music (the Living in Oblivion series especially), I noticed that there was tons of this music, some of which never made a big commercial splash, but had that all-treble cheerful sound.

Much to my surprise, some of these perfect pop gems never made it to most of the top 10s in the 80s poll for each year, even though, from my view they were absolutely perfect songs that I couldn't dismiss as non-indie commercial trash. Now thanks to the 80s poll, I was able to delve into the underground music of Minutemen, Husker Du, etc. and I don't regret that at all. But my relationship to 80s music has always been that pop appreciation. So, take a bow, Naked Eyes' Always Something There to Remind Me, Walk Like an Egyptian, Dance Hall Days, If You Leave, Don't Dream It's Over, and a whole bunch of others I am forgetting. You might have been a flash in the pan when you originally released, but your sounds serve a very different purpose, at least to these contemporary years.

I think Slade was a fantastic band! (must be the old-geezer-equivalent of Moonbeam's taste for hair metal )

The most surprising thing is probably my love for the Eurovision Song Contest, but a lot of you knew that already.

I also have about 15 different, self-made cover versions of Maxwell's Silver Hammer in my head, and I play Prokofiev really, really loud sometimes.

Due to the monolithic large lists I contribute to the AM 70s poll I'm considered a 70s Classic rock lover. This is only partly true. My tastes veer actually more to 60s & 50s and even 90s music I rate higher.
Another preference of mine is a genre which is not very loved on this site: Dance. Techno, Club, Triphop, Drum & Bass, Dub-step, you name 'em. From time to time, in one thread or another, the discussion pops up if contemporary music is still relevant and innovative or not. Well, in my opinion, for the last 25 years the most innovative, interesting and advanced sounds were to be found in the Dance department. It changed/changes the musical landscape forever. Just ask acclaimed rock names like Björk, LCD Soundsystem, Beck or Radiohead. They would be significantly less interesting without the dance influences they incorporate.

Dumbangel
I'm a very huge fan of XTC and Prefab Sprout, also a lot of Squeeze, Aztec Camera and Elvis Costello.

have you already tried out the later Madness records, dumbangel? "The Rise And Fall" or "Keep Moving" might quite suit..

....oh, and Dexys' Don't Stand Me Down still holds both of us njs down.. not to mention Specials' In The Studio or Stranglers' Aural Sculpture or the Cars' Heartbeat City or Style Council's Our Favourite Shop... or you just simply amoogle for Honorio's wonderful easylisteninginthe80'slist on this forum for that matter... :)

Thank you Netjade for these recommandations. I'm gonna give them a listen.

I like calm, beautiful piano songs.

Herbie Hancock - Speak Like A Child
Errol Garner - Autumn Leaves
Return To Forever - Where Have I Known You Before

Etc.

The one act I've collected "vertically" that doesn't jibe at all with the rest of my tastes is Van Halen.

I used to have their first four albums, and one day I'm going to download them all and listen to 'em straight through. Fun, fun stuff.

I know Eddie is respected pretty universally, but it's not just him--even though I'd never want to be trapped in an elevator with Diamond Dave, it's irrefutable that the band instantly turned into crap without him.

I don't get punk or post-punk (except the Clash of course) but I really like Wire and 17 seconds by the Cure. And Suicide too.
I don't like 80's synth pop but I love Soft Cell.