Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
50 Best albums of the decade: The Guardian (UK)

The Guardian are counting down the top 10 one per day, with the overall top 50 published in Sunday's Observer.

Number 10 was today- Burial- Untrue

Re: 50 Best albums of the decade: The Guardian (UK)

No 9: Salif Keita – Moffou

Superb choices so far!

No 8: Jay-Z - The Black Album

Assuming The Blueprint isn't in the Top 7, that's sort of a weird choice. Really great seeing Salif Keita in there, and of course Untrue is great.

No 7: The White Stripes – Elephant

No 6: Amy Winehouse – Back to Black

No 5: Arcade Fire – Funeral

No 4: The Strokes – Is This It

No 3: Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

No 2: Radiohead - Kid A

Otisredding

Well, if this is number 2, who's number 1 ? Funeral, Is This It, Whatever People Say, Elephant, Blueprint, they are already in. Is Animal Collective ? I don't know, tomorrow we find out.

Joan
Otisredding

Well, if this is number 2, who's number 1 ? Funeral, Is This It, Whatever People Say, Elephant, Blueprint, they are already in. Is Animal Collective ? I don't know, tomorrow we find out.

Maybe it's Blackout...

I just saw The Times list of the top albums of this decade, some great picks like Ys, Radiohead, M.I.A., you know the albums that every critic are placing inside their lists, but suddenly at number 4 there's Britney Spears Blackout, shocking, surprising and different from other lists.

I'm going to guess that #1 will go to Illinois, although Merriweather Post Pavillion and Original Pirate Material probably have outside shots.

No 1: The Streets - Original Pirate Material

50-11:

50 DANGER MOUSE The Grey Album

deleted, 2004

49 DESTINY'S CHILD Survivor

Columbia, 2001

48 RACHEL UNTHANK AND THE WINTERSET The Bairns

EMI, 2007

47 THE WHITE STRIPES White Blood Cells

Sympathy For the Record Industry, 2001

46 THE LIBERTINES Up the Bracket

Rough Trade, 2002

45 OUTKAST Stankonia

LaFace, 2000

44 ANDY PALACIO & THE GARIFUNA COLLECTIVE Wátina

Cumbancha, 2007

43 THE STREETS A Grand Don't Come for Free

679, 2004

42 BADLY DRAWN BOY The Hour of Bewilderbeast

Twisted Nerve, 2000

41 SIGUR ROS ( )

Fat Cat, 2002

40 PJ HARVEY

Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea Island, 2000

39 AMADOU AND MARIAM

Dimanche à Bamako Because, 2005

38 KONONO NO 1

Congotronics Crammed, 2004

37 BON IVER For Emma, Forever Ago

4AD, 2008

36 JAY-Z The Blueprint

Def Jam, 2001

35 ELBOW The Seldom Seen Kid

Fiction, 2008

34 SYSTEM OF A DOWN Toxicity

American, 2001

33 FRANZ FERDINAND Franz Ferdinand

Domino, 2004

32 EST Seven Days of Falling

RCA, 2003

31 MIA Kala

XL, 2007

30 THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE QUEEN The Good, the Bad & the Queen

Parlophone, 2007

29 EMINEM The Marshall Mathers LP

Interscope, 2000

28 SUFJAN STEVENS Come on Feel the Illinoise

Rough Trade, 005

27 GOTAN PROJECT La Revancha del Tango

XL, 2001

26 ANTONY AND THE JOHNSONS I Am a Bird Now

Secretly Canadian, 2005

25 TOM WAITS Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards

Anti-, 2006

24 TV ON THE RADIO Dear Science

4AD, 2008

23 BOB DYLAN Love and Theft

Columbia, 2001
22 RADIOHEAD In Rainbows

XL, 2007

21 KINGS OF LEON Aha Shake Heartbreak

HandMeDown, 2004

20 LILY ALLEN Alright, Still

Regal, 2006

19 KANYE WEST Late Registration

Def Jam, 2005

18 ALI FARKA TOURE Savane

World Circuit, 2006

17 PRIMAL SCREAM Xtrmntr

Creation, 2000

16 QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE Songs for the Deaf

Interscope, 2002

15 LCD SOUNDSYSTEM Sound of Silver

DFA, 2007

14 DIZZEE RASCAL Boy in Da Corner

XL, 2003

13 JAMIE T Panic Prevention

Virgin, 2007

12 JOHNNY CASH American III: Solitary Man

American, 2000

11 GORILLAZ Demon Days

OK list, many great releases included some others are missing like Animal Collective, Joanna Newsom (calling Ys 2006's best), Kate Bush (they gave her a glooming 5 star review, and nothing ?), Portishead, Fleet Foxes, Vampire Weekend, etc... ok list, some great records, and others that i never heard about it, and surprisingly Destiny's Child!! WTF ?

Some people are commenting about this on the website calling the list bad, here:

"Streets with 2 as well, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot should have been in there."

"Kinda dull and puzzling in spots alright. Destiny's Child and Lily Allen? No Panda Bear, Animal C, Bonnie Prince Billy, Scott Walker, Kate Bush?"

"Lily Allen over Joanna Newsom? I can only assume an expression of smug condescension and tut disapprovingly. You really don't have a clue, any of you, I can assure you of that."

"Where on earth is Ys?!? Also, no Animal Collective, Aerial by Kate Bush, The Drift by Scott Walker, nothing by Wilco or Bat for Lashes. I suppose it's all a matter of taste, but there seem to a few glaring omissions imo."

"As with the NME list, this isn't a 50 best, so much as its 'the 50 albums which best reflect our brand'. The music is secondary to the filter of the brand's 'personality'."

"A dull list?but just what you would expect from a sunday colour supplement?

Where are these artists?

Bjork
Notwist
Bill Callahan
Lambchop
JoannaNewsom
Animal collective
Grizzly Bear
Squarepusher
Magnetic Fields

Sufjan's Seven Swans and Sigur Ros?s Agaetis Byrjun would have been better choices for those artists?but good to see them included?
The Pitchfork list is much better - I always discover something new from it each year?"

"Was this list made before Susan Boyle's album was released?" LOL

"Surprising to see no Girls Aloud albums in the top fifty. I can only assume that the votes were split evenly between the four magnificent albums they released this decade, meaning none had quite enough to make it.

There are lots of odd placings (Kings Of Leon above Outkast, Jamie T above TV On The Radio, etc) but i suppose that's the nature of these things."

"On reflection a list more interesting for what it left out;

Ys
Third
Fleet Foxes
Girls Aloud

than what it included.

Is there more about the albums in the paper - because those one sentence summaries really aren't going to encourage anyone to check stuff they don't already know."

"just to join in with the indignation... no scissor sisters? really?"

"Probably my favourite music this decade came from CocoRosie, Au Revoir Simone, MF Doom and Ghostface Killah."

There's a bunch of comments talking about the NME, i just saw the top 10 of it, it included PJ Harvey's Stories, the Guardian placed the album at 40, at least it was in.

Joan
OK list, many great releases included some others are missing like Animal Collective, Joanna Newsom (calling Ys 2006's best), Kate Bush (they gave her a glooming 5 star review, and nothing ?), Portishead, Fleet Foxes, Vampire Weekend, etc... ok list, some great records, and others that i never heard about it, and surprisingly Destiny's Child!! WTF ?

Some people are commenting about this on the website calling the list bad, here:

"Kinda dull and puzzling in spots alright. Destiny's Child and Lily Allen? No Panda Bear, Animal C, Bonnie Prince Billy, Scott Walker, Kate Bush?"

"Lily Allen over Joanna Newsom? I can only assume an expression of smug condescension and tut disapprovingly. You really don't have a clue, any of you, I can assure you of that."

"Where on earth is Ys?!? Also, no Animal Collective, Aerial by Kate Bush, The Drift by Scott Walker, nothing by Wilco or Bat for Lashes. I suppose it's all a matter of taste, but there seem to a few glaring omissions imo."

"As with the NME list, this isn't a 50 best, so much as its 'the 50 albums which best reflect our brand'. The music is secondary to the filter of the brand's 'personality'."

Where are these artists?

Bjork
Notwist
Bill Callahan
Lambchop
JoannaNewsom
Animal collective
Grizzly Bear
Squarepusher
Magnetic Fields

Sufjan's Seven Swans and Sigur Ros?s Agaetis Byrjun would have been better choices for those artists?but good to see them included?
The Pitchfork list is much better - I always discover something new from it each year?"

"Surprising to see no Girls Aloud albums in the top fifty. I can only assume that the votes were split evenly between the four magnificent albums they released this decade, meaning none had quite enough to make it.

There are lots of odd placings (Kings Of Leon above Outkast, Jamie T above TV On The Radio, etc) but i suppose that's the nature of these things."

Ys
Third
Fleet Foxes
Girls Aloud

than what it included.

Is there more about the albums in the paper - because those one sentence summaries really aren't going to encourage anyone to check stuff they don't already know."

"Probably my favourite music this decade came from CocoRosie, Au Revoir Simone, MF Doom and Ghostface Killah."

There's a bunch of comments talking about the NME, i just saw the top 10 of it, it included PJ Harvey's Stories, the Guardian placed the album at 40, at least it was in.

I'd take Lily Allen over Joanna Newsom any time. She may sound commercial or generic but it beats being pretentious and artsy fartsy. At least Lily Allen knows what a chorus is even though I've grown tired of that British female soul diva act that's worn its course. Also Sigur Ros' Agaetis Byrjun came out in 99 but I don't see why these publications keep picking () over Takk. Takk was flawless. Before that listening to Sigur Ros reminded me of humpback whales communicating with each other which makes it more nature oriented which I think is what they are going for but they showed their true inner rock stars in them with Takk. Some of the songs off Takk reminded me of animals in the artic though. I do love Au Revoir Simone especially their new record so I hope they do well this year.

Where are these artists?

Bjork
Notwist
Bill Callahan
Lambchop
JoannaNewsom
Animal collective
Grizzly Bear
Squarepusher
Magnetic Fields

Everything I've listened to by Animal Collective (MPP, Feels) and Joanna Newsom (Ys, Milk-Eyed) has been absolute dreck. Not having them on their list automatically makes this my favorite EOD yet.

Sad about Bjork, though.

Tim E.
Joan

Where are these artists?

Bjork
Notwist
Bill Callahan
Lambchop
JoannaNewsom
Animal collective
Grizzly Bear
Squarepusher
Magnetic Fields

Ys
Third
Fleet Foxes
Girls Aloud

than what it included.

I'd take Lily Allen over Joanna Newsom any time. She may sound commercial or generic but it beats being pretentious and artsy fartsy. At least Lily Allen knows what a chorus is even though I've grown tired of that British female soul diva act that's worn its course. Also Sigur Ros' Agaetis Byrjun came out in 99 but I don't see why these publications keep picking () over Takk. Takk was flawless. Before that listening to Sigur Ros reminded me of humpback whales communicating with each other which makes it more nature oriented which I think is what they are going for but they showed their true inner rock stars in them with Takk. Some of the songs off Takk reminded me of animals in the artic though. I do love Au Revoir Simone especially their new record so I hope they do well this year.

I'd take Joanna Newsom over Lily Allen any day, every day. Music is much more than a chorus, Lily might be good in it, but she will never achieve Newsom's songwriting, it's in total different level. Ys is a masterpiece, acclaimedmusic and it end of the year lists are there to prove it, the girl delivered, same with the milk-eyed mender. She faced criticism because of her baby voice, and everyone changed the opinion after seeing beyond the voice. The songwriting, the way she plays, the melodies, all come together, and her voice only make everything more especial, precious. Ys was great back in 2006, it sounds better in 2009, it's a timeless recording, could've been made by anyone, any decade, but no one did it, freak folk waited 4 decades to finally delivery its true masterpiece. Allen is far from release such a definitive record like that. If Joanna is pretentious or artsy fartsy i wished there were more like her! But that's the big difference, with the exception of MIA, there's no female singer/songwriter from the 00's holding a candle to Joanna right now, she's unique and she's at the top of the game. Lily, well... i liked her debut, but her second record only proved it me that she's a no one without the media. Sorry, but i'm a huge Joanna's fun and i need to speak. The girl is like a fusion of old singer/songwriters from the past, and that's a really good thing. She just finished her new album, it's not Ys, or Milk-Eyed Mender and i admire her for that, if she never tops Ys, there's no problem, few could.

Joan

I'd take Joanna Newsom over Lily Allen any day, every day. Music is much more than a chorus, Lily might be good in it, but she will never achieve Newsom's songwriting, it's in total different level. Ys is a masterpiece, acclaimedmusic and it end of the year lists are there to prove it, the girl delivered, same with the milk-eyed mender. She faced criticism because of her baby voice, and everyone changed the opinion after seeing beyond the voice. The songwriting, the way she plays, the melodies, all come together, and her voice only make everything more especial, precious. Ys was great back in 2006, it sounds better in 2009, it's a timeless recording, could've been made by anyone, any decade, but no one did it, freak folk waited 4 decades to finally delivery its true masterpiece. Allen is far from release such a definitive record like that. If Joanna is pretentious or artsy fartsy i wished there were more like her! But that's the big difference, with the exception of MIA, there's no female singer/songwriter from the 00's holding a candle to Joanna right now, she's unique and she's at the top of the game. Lily, well... i liked her debut, but her second record only proved it me that she's a no one without the media. Sorry, but i'm a huge Joanna's fun and i need to speak. The girl is like a fusion of old singer/songwriters from the past, and that's a really good thing. She just finished her new album, it's not Ys, or Milk-Eyed Mender and i admire her for that, if she never tops Ys, there's no problem, few could.

I guess taste is taste. All i know is that both them are appreciated by music critics, in different ways of course. They are 2 different and unique girls. Joanna Newsom is truly the big name of decade inside the singer/songwriter category, the same way that Lily Allen is one of Pop's big name, the both are together big names of the 00's, and they both have albums inside the acclaimedmusic.net top 3000, which is a big honor. Lily & Joanna are way too different, i love them both., i can't compare them, they way too different. Different people, different music, different ways to promote their music. Joanna is special to me, she's my favorite female artist of the decade, but i would never say that other girls' are bad cause the pale in comparison, no way. Allen & Newsom are together part of what made this decade so great to me! And please, this forum is so calm, i hope you guys don't start fighting because of this silly suject.

hrs
Joan

I guess taste is taste. All i know is that both them are appreciated by music critics, in different ways of course. They are 2 different and unique girls. Joanna Newsom is truly the big name of decade inside the singer/songwriter category, the same way that Lily Allen is one of Pop's big name, the both are together big names of the 00's, and they both have albums inside the acclaimedmusic.net top 3000, which is a big honor. Lily & Joanna are way too different, i love them both., i can't compare them, they way too different. Different people, different music, different ways to promote their music. Joanna is special to me, she's my favorite female artist of the decade, but i would never say that other girls' are bad cause the pale in comparison, no way. Allen & Newsom are together part of what made this decade so great to me! And please, this forum is so calm, i hope you guys don't start fighting because of this silly suject.

It's all good. I like many people have gotten into huge arguments over Joanna. At least she's controversal for her music (not in a Prince, NWA or Eminem way)and not her personal life. I just love reading how diverse the reviews of her album is on the metacritic user votes. Unlike with critics this album is split down the middle and the people themselves will give it to you straight http://apps.metacritic.com//music/usercomments.jsp?id_string=2752:exc4L85nH4jq8MjDQPdWEA**

I'm very happy to see Demon Days get some love. I really think it should be top 10 of the decade.

Tim E.
hrs
Joan

It's all good. I like many people have gotten into huge arguments over Joanna. At least she's controversal for her music (not in a Prince, NWA or Eminem way)and not her personal life. I just love reading how diverse the reviews of her album is on the metacritic user votes. Unlike with critics this album is split down the middle and the people themselves will give it to you straight http://apps.metacritic.com//music/usercomments.jsp?id_string=2752:exc4L85nH4jq8MjDQPdWEA**

It is half true! Like Pitchfork said: Some can't live without it and others think that is precocious and silly. Observing the users votes you can totally see that people who loved Ys, are in a much bigger number than the ones who hated it (average: 8.0), but reading the comments you'll see why not everyone actually liked It, and there are plenty of bad and mixed comments as many as the great ones. The criticism are always the same: Newsom's Voice, tracks too long, lack of hooks, people who loved her first album but didn't liked the evolution and some people just don't get it. Joanna Newsom is an acquired taste, everyone knows that. People need to try. Some of them really tried and didn't like it, that's normal and acceptable. This album is difficult. I didn't get it at first, but the last moments of emily hooked me, suddenly i started to play more attention to the track, reading the lyrics while listening, it hooked me, it was magical. Later i tried Monkey & Bear, Sawdust & Diamonds, Only Skin & Cosmia, each moment were different from each other. Everything was magical, everything was a hook. Monkey & Bear lyrics, Sawdust & Diamonds vocals and harp playing, Everything about Only Skin, Cosmia last moments when you can hear a noise right at the end of the song, kinda magical, like a full circle, or mission accomplished. The album is pure magic, suddenly every critic seemed right, it takes time, but it is really good. I used to think how overrated it was, Ys made me adore The Milk-Eyed Mender, i used to like it, but now is that kinda of album that i can't stop listening to. All of this happened in Nov 2006, till this date nothing changed! It is truly timeless! I can't see the magic of many singers, why critics like them, etc... But i can see Joanna's like HRS said it's all taste, if you don't like it doesn't matter how many times i write about this, you will still think that you are not missing anything important. So i'm glad that not only me, but others see that, that album might not have a spot at The Guardian's list, but sure it has one in my heart!

Just to point out this is technically Observer Music Monthly's list not The Guardian's even though they are essentially the same publication.