Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bracketology: Round 1, Week 19

I hope no one complains if I post week 19 a couple of minutes early. I'm absolutely exhausted and I'm having trouble staying awake.

WEEK 19

A little breakdown of this week's songs by decade...
1920s: 1
1930s: 3
1940s: 0
1950s: 1
1960s: 5
1970s: 8
1980s: 6
1990s: 6
2000s: 2

Also of note:
A bracket with two songs from the 1930s

Here are this week's brackets. Remember, you can also view the brackets on this site. Voting is now open, and you have until 11:59 PM Pacific time on this upcoming Saturday to vote. Vote either in this thread or e-mail me.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 16
#108: "Wonderwall" - Oasis [1995]
#405: "Steady, as She Goes" - The Raconteurs [2006]
#620: "Strings of Life" - Rhythim Is Rhythim [1987]
#917: "Ain't No Sunshine" - Bill Withers [1971]

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 11
#168: "Wild Thing" - The Troggs [1966]
#345: "West End Blues" - Louis Armstrong & His Hot Five [1928]
#680: "Seether" - Veruca Salt [1994]
#857: "Voodoo Ray" - A Guy Called Gerald [1989]

TCHAIKOVSKY BLOC, BRACKET 11
#166: "Thunder Road" - Bruce Springsteen [1975]
#347: "Eleanor Rigby" - The Beatles [1966]
#678: "Move Your Feet" - Junior Senior [2003]
#859: "Stupid Girl" - Garbage [1995]

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 12
#93: "This Charming Man" - The Smiths [1984]
#420: "You Oughta Know" - Alanis Morissette [1995]
#605: "Hungry Like the Wolf" - Duran Duran [1982]
#932: "Rock with You" - Michael Jackson [1979]

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 4
#114: "Strange Fruit" - Billie Holiday [1939]
#399: "Windowlicker" - Aphex Twin [1999]
#626: "She's Not There" - The Zombies [1964]
#911: "One O'Clock Jump" - Count Basie & His Orchestra [1937]

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 14
#240: "Mannish Boy" - Muddy Waters [1955]
#273: "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker" - The Ramones [1977]
#752: "Birdhouse in Your Soul" - They Might Be Giants [1990]
#785: "Remember (Walkin' in the Sand)" - The Shangri-Las [1964]

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 10
#218: "Midnight Train to Georgia" - Gladys Knight & the Pips [1973]
#295: "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" - Eurythmics [1983]
#730: "The Mercy Seat" - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds [1988]
#807: "Hong Kong Garden" - Siouxsie & the Banshees [1978]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 14
#226: "Psycho Killer" - Talking Heads [1977]
#287: "Je T'Aime...Moi Non Plus" - Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg [1969]
#738: "Message in a Bottle" - The Police [1979]
#799: "God Bless America" - Kate Smith [1939]

Re: Bracketology: Round 1, Week 19

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Wonderwall" - Oasis [1995]
Easily my favorite Oasis song, and for my money, one of the best songs of the '90s. Absolutely perfect.
2. "Ain't No Sunshine" - Bill Withers [1971]
Heartbreakingly beautiful ode to loneliness. I'd definitely have this one on top of some other brackets (namely, Mahler 11 this week). And for the record, the answer is 26.
3. "Steady, as She Goes" - The Raconteurs [2006]
Tough fight for the 3 spot here, as the Raconteurs edge out Rhythim Is Rhythim in a battle between two songs that I just don't care about. It's fine, I just can't really get excited about this one.
4. "Strings of Life" - Rhythim Is Rhythim [1987]
Late '80s house music. Sounds fairly generic to my ears. Like I said above, it's nothing I can get excited about.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 11
1. "Wild Thing" - The Troggs [1966]
I had a hell of a time deciding which one to put in the top spot here, because I just don't love any of the four here. This one and "Seether" are good, but I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of either. "Wild Thing" gets the edge solely because of "Major League."
2. "Seether" - Veruca Salt [1994]
Not a big fan of the whole riot grrrl scene (and sure, you can debate whether or not Veruca Salt really fits into that definition, but I'm putting them there so deal with it), but this is actually a really good song. Lots of fun to put on while I'm driving around.
3. "Voodoo Ray" - A Guy Called Gerald [1989]
More late '80s house music, but this one is much better than the aforementioned "Strings of Life." Maybe it's the fact that there's actually some vocals (if you want to call it that) in this one. Still not strong enough to edge out the Troggs or Veruca Salt.
4. "West End Blues" - Louis Armstrong & His Hot Five [1928]
As much as I love jazz music, I've never been a huge fan of pre-1930 jazz. And I'm certainly not a big fan of New Orleans jazz.

1. "Stupid Girl" - Garbage [1995]
I have no doubt that either the Boss or the Fab Four will take this bracket, but I just adore this song. So what if they did steal the opening drum beat from the Clash. This song just hits me on a visceral level. Every time it comes on, I have to stop what I'm doing and listen to it.
Such a perfect, perfect song. When that piano comes in after the second chorus, I get chills. Butch Vig's drumming is absolutely brutal, the guitars are dark and crunchy, and the lyrics just drip with spite and vitriol.
And the video! What a perfect combination of audio and video. If you haven't seen it before, do yourself a favor and check it out.
I am not ashamed to say that I still have the biggest crush on Shirley Manson. I would let her do unspeakable things to me. Just watching her in that video again makes me... Oh, I'd better not say.
A couple months ago, I made a list of what I thought were the best songs of the '90s, and this one came in at #20, just in front of Mazzy Star's "Fade Into You" and Radiohead's "Creep." I know that this song won't win the bracket, and that really bums me out, but it will have at least one first-place vote.
2. "Eleanor Rigby" - The Beatles [1966]
One of the strangest inclusions on "Revolver," since none of the Fab Four actually play any instruments on this track, but it's still a hauntingly beautiful, if incredibly depressing, song. Don't be surprised if this one moves into the second round, making it the umpteenth Beatles songs to advance.
3. "Move Your Feet" - Junior Senior [2003]
Why the hell is this song so highly acclaimed? I feel so trashy whenever I listen to it, but at the same time I can't ever seem to move to the next song. Total guilty pleasure for me.
4. "Thunder Road" - Bruce Springsteen [1975]
For my money, the "Born to Run" album doesn't hit its stride until the second side when the title track blasts in. I've heard this song many, many times and I just can't get into it. It just sounds too bland and generic. Still, I won't be surprised if it manages to beat out the Beatles for the top spot.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 12
1. "You Oughta Know" - Alanis Morissette [1995]
When this song came out in '95, it scared the piss out of just about every guy, myself included. I'll admit that I didn't really understand the line about "going down on in you in a theater" at that time (I was 13, cut me some slack), but once I figured it out, I was stunned that someone would have the cojones to put it in a song.
This is an absolutely jaw-dropping song lyrically, from the aforementioned line to the "are you thinking of me when you fuck her" line. What gives this song extra potency (as if it needed any) is hearing Alanis perform this on the "Alanis Unplugged" album. There, the song takes on a whole different tone. In the original, she's angry and her words are just covered in hatred for this guy who has spurned her. In the unplugged version, she sounds almost wistful and sad that this guy is now gone. Such a powerful, powerful song.
Is it blatantly obvious that I'm an Alanis fan?
2. "Hungry Like the Wolf" - Duran Duran [1982]
"Rio" is so much better. I'm certain that this one is rated so highly because of the video, which I will grant you is pretty cool (for its time). But is this song really the 605th-best song of all time? I think not. Still, it's much, much better than the other two songs in this bracket.
3. "Rock with You" - Michael Jackson [1979]
I've heard this song many times, and I just can't get into it. Maybe I've just got visions of that ultra-cheapo music video in my head when I hear it. I'll take "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" over this one ANY day.
4. "This Charming Man" - The Smiths [1984]
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not a fan of the Smiths.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Strange Fruit" - Billie Holiday [1939]
You listen to this song and your first thought is: ordinary ballad from the '30s. Blah. Hell, that was my reaction when I first heard it. What you need to do after you hear it is to read the lyrics. I won't say any more. Gut-wrenching stuff.
2. "One O'Clock Jump" - Count Basie & His Orchestra [1937]
Going with the early stuff in this bracket. But as a jazz fan, and a piano player, I gotta go with the Count here. I remember when I was in junior high jazz band, we got the charts for a Basie tune (I don't think it was this one), and the band director told me, "Okay, you're going to get a solo on this one." I remember complaining, and he said, "This is a Basie song! You've GOT to do a solo!"
3. "Windowlicker" - Aphex Twin [1999]
4. "She's Not There" - The Zombies [1964]
Tough, tough call for me between these last two, as I'm not really a fan of Aphex Twin, and I really don't like "She's Not There" (why the hell isn't "Time of the Season" in the top 3000?) I really don't have much to say about either one, as it's just a crapshoot between the two of them for me. I'll go chalk.

1. "Mannish Boy" - Muddy Waters [1955]
I'm sure you're all familiar with the story. Muddy recorded "Hoochie Coochie Man," Bo Diddley stole the riff to make "I'm a Man," so Muddy tole that song to make this "Mannish Boy." Disregard the AM rankings (which actually back up my upcoming claim), but Muddy's version is better. I love Muddy.
2. "Birdhouse in Your Soul" - They Might Be Giants [1990]
I can't really say I'm a fan of this song, or even of TMBG, but the other three songs in this bracket are just a bunch of crap to me. SHTB2.
3. "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker" - The Ramones [1977]
I can respect what the Ramones were trying to do, but I don't like it. Nor do I necessarily like anything else the Ramones did.
4. "Remember (Walkin' in the Sand)" - The Shangri-Las [1964]
What could possibly beat out the Ramones for the #4 spot? This craptastic bit of pop. Ugh. If I never heard this song again, it would be too soon.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "Midnight Train to Georgia" - Gladys Knight & the Pips [1973]
One of my all-time favorite songs. I have no quibbles with this song. Sheer perfection. But it makes me ask the question: just what is a pip?
2. "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" - Eurythmics [1983]
Yeah, this was a massive hit, but it's never been my favorite Eurythmics song. Why the hell isn't "Here Comes the Rain Again" even "bubbling under"? I call shenanigans on that.
3. "The Mercy Seat" - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds [1988]
And finally, we have two songs that I just don't really care about. Nick Cave is one of those artists who I think I would really like if I ever decided to sit down and listen to his stuff. But this one will never rise above "Sweet Dreams" for me, and certainly will never rise above "Midnight Train to Georgia."
4. "Hong Kong Garden" - Siouxsie & the Banshees [1978]
No thank you. Pretty forgettable to my ears.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 14
1. "Psycho Killer" - Talking Heads [1977]
The line is "Psycho killer, qu'est-ce que c'est". I don't know what the very next line is beyond "Fa-fa-fa-fa...".
2. "Message in a Bottle" - The Police [1979]
The people at Activision can kiss my ass for putting the interminable version of this song in Guitar Hero II. Nevertheless, this song (the version that doesn't repeat the line "Sending out an S.O.S." a bazillion times) kicks ass.
3. "Je T'Aime...Moi Non Plus" - Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg [1969]
And now for easily the dirtiest song I've ever heard. Visions of "To Catch a Predator" flash through my head every time I hear this song. And I can't help but laugh at the same time. But hey, Gainsbourg was the king of that sort of stuff. I'm curious to hear what someone from France thinks about this song. nicolas?
4. "God Bless America" - Kate Smith [1939]
If I could put this song in fifth place, I would. Overly sentimental and overly patriotic pablum. I imagine Philadelphia Flyers fans hold this song in a special place, but I am not a Flyers fan.

OH! I forgot to mention that this week (and for the rest of the first round) will be the same as the last two weeks; un-commented brackets will be counted.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 16
#917: "Ain't No Sunshine" - Bill Withers [1971] : winner by default

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 11
#680: "Seether" - Veruca Salt [1994] : I would adored it younger I think, still find it cool enough to win the bracket

#347: "Eleanor Rigby" - The Beatles [1966] : one of my favourite Beatles track edges out a killer dance track. 2 great songs to complete this very good bracket

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 12
#420: "You Oughta Know" - Alanis Morissette [1995] : tough call on the first place here... but I feel more like listening to angry Alanis than witty Morrissey right now

You take votes from those that haven't participated before? Only just saw that AM had forums.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 16
(1) "Ain't No Sunshine" - Bill Withers [1971] – Even the strings can't bring the light. The song is beautiful, like a cloudy day.
(2) "Wonderwall" - Oasis [1995] – Never had a reason to get into the whole Oasis thing outside of the singles, but I do enjoy this album. Just not as much as Ain't No Sunshine.
(3): "Steady, as She Goes" - The Raconteurs [2006] – Meh.
(4): "Strings of Life" - Rhythim Is Rhythim [1987] – Double Meh.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 11
(1): "Wild Thing" - The Troggs [1966] – It's the call and response between the off-tuned riff and the salacious lyrics that does it for me.
(2): "Voodoo Ray" - A Guy Called Gerald [1989] – The #2 ranking is more a statement about tracks ones below, but this is one of the better late 80s/early 90s dance tracks I've heard.
(3): "Seether" - Veruca Salt [1994] – I don't think I remember this one coming out. Just as well, I guess.
(4): "West End Blues" - Louis Armstrong & His Hot Five [1928] – Big fan of the pre-war blues, but the jazz doesn't do anything for me.

(1): "Thunder Road" - Bruce Springsteen [1975] – One of the few songs that will always make me feel better. One of my all-time favorites.
(2): "Stupid Girl" - Garbage [1995] – Top 3 are all quite close; 2 and 3 could easily be interchanged. Garbage over The Beatles because I haven't heard this track a bazillion jillion times.
(3): "Eleanor Rigby" - The Beatles [1966] – ...and the fact that the stereo mix of this one has all the lead vocals in one channel has always annoyed me.
(4): "Move Your Feet" - Junior Senior [2003] – Easily last given the other choices, but also richly deserved.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 12
(1): "You Oughta Know" - Alanis Morissette [1995] – I had this album when it came out. I was like 14 and I thought it was okay but I didn't love it. Then I got into other stuff, then still other stuff, and never listened to it because I didn't think it was 'good.' Then a year and a half ago I go to rip it, listen to it, and realized my mistake.
(2): "Hungry Like the Wolf" - Duran Duran [1982] – Inoffensive nostalgia for a time I didn't experience.
(3): "Rock with You" - Michael Jackson [1979] – Offensive nostalgia for a time I'm glad I didn't experience.
(4): "This Charming Man" - The Smiths [1984] – Happy I have no nostalgia for The Smiths.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 4
(1): "She's Not There" - The Zombies [1964]
(2): "Strange Fruit" - Billie Holiday [1939] – Lyrically, this ought to be above the Zombies. But I really dislike the music. I tend to think Nina Simone's version is better.
(3): "One O'Clock Jump" - Count Basie & His Orchestra [1937]
(4): "Windowlicker" - Aphex Twin [1999] – I keep waiting for it to hit a groove, but it keeps skipping.

(1): "Mannish Boy" - Muddy Waters [1955] – If a blues riff can save your soul, this would be the one to do it.
(2): "Remember (Walkin' in the Sand)" - The Shangri-Las [1964] – My favorite girl group. I love the melodrama, especially the handclaps, snaps, and seagulls at the end.
(3): "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker" - The Ramones [1977] – I've found I just don't much care for a lot of the Ramones work.
(4): "Birdhouse in Your Soul" - They Might Be Giants [1990] – Don't understand or like TMBG.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 10
(1): "Midnight Train to Georgia" - Gladys Knight & the Pips [1973] – The Pips put on a clinic in proper back-up singing.
(2): "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" - Eurythmics [1983]
(3): "The Mercy Seat" - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds [1988] – I like both Sweet Dreams and Mercy seat, but think there are covers of both that are better. Love Nick Cave, but not one of the better tracks.
(4): "Hong Kong Garden" - Siouxsie & the Banshees [1978] – Okay, but unexciting.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 14
(1): "Psycho Killer" - Talking Heads [1977] – Obviously.
(2): "Je T'Aime...Moi Non Plus" - Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg [1969] – Everything sounds better in French.
(3): "Message in a Bottle" - The Police [1979]
(4): "God Bless America" - Kate Smith [1939] – Melodrama, fine. Saccharine, not.

thepris
You take votes from those that haven't participated before?

Of course! Welcome to the game!

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Strings of Life" - Rhythim Is Rhythim [1987]
3. "Wonderwall" - Oasis [1995]
4. "Steady, as She Goes" - The Raconteurs [2006]

"Strings of Life" really is a masterpiece, I've gotta admit. Love "Ain't No Sunshine", too. "Wonderwall" is still good, just not good enough here.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 11
1. "West End Blues" - Louis Armstrong & His Hot Five [1928]
2. "Voodoo Ray" - A Guy Called Gerald [1989]
3. "Seether" - Veruca Salt [1994]
4. "Wild Thing" - The Troggs [1966]

"West End Blues" is one of the more timeless pieces of "old jazz", still quite mind-blowing. That said, it demolishes an otherwise fairly weak bracket. "Wild Thing" is just terrible.

1. "Thunder Road" - Bruce Springsteen [1975]
4. "Stupid Girl" - Garbage [1995]

Going chalk with this one, though "Thunder Road" just towers over this group. "Eleanor Rigby" is just OK, but beats "Move Your Feet" (there were lots of better, similar songs in the '00s by other groups) and the awful "Stupid Girl", Garbage's worst single by far.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 12
1. "Rock with You" - Michael Jackson [1979]
2. "This Charming Man" - The Smiths [1984]
3. "Hungry Like the Wolf" - Duran Duran [1982]
4. "You Oughta Know" - Alanis Morissette [1995]

Pretty tough group, these songs are all good in their way. Gotta go with MJ in the end. I find that there is surprisingly little distance between 2 and 4 for me in this bracket.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 4
2. "Windowlicker" - Aphex Twin [1999]
3. "She's Not There" - The Zombies [1964]
4. "One O'Clock Jump" - Count Basie & His Orchestra [1937]

Wow! What a fantastic bracket. Billie better win, because "Strange Fruit" will probably be #1 on my all-time song list. Just absolutely devastating in every way. The performance itself is chilling in its minimalism. Other than that, the other 3 are all very good, but about as different from each other as imaginable.

1. "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker" - The Ramones [1977]
2. "Birdhouse in Your Soul" - They Might Be Giants [1990]
3. "Remember (Walkin' in the Sand)" - The Shangri-Las [1964]
4. "Mannish Boy" - Muddy Waters [1955]

Wow, another really great bracket! This might be the most consistently good week IMO. Tough call between 1 and 3 here, but the Ramones best song wins. I still have a very soft spot for the goofy yet brilliant craftsmanship of TMBG, and it pretty much breaks my heart to ever put the Shangri-Las (one of the best singles acts of the '60s) so low. Muddy Waters didn't stand a chance, which is sorta shocking.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "The Mercy Seat" - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds [1988]
3. "Midnight Train to Georgia" - Gladys Knight & the Pips [1973]

ANOTHER very fine bracket. "Mercy Seat" wins, another devastatingly powerful track, though both Ms's Lennox and Knight gave it a tough time. Siouxsie sadly comes in last -- she did better things in the '80s.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 14
1. "Je T'Aime...Moi Non Plus" - Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg [1969]
2. "Psycho Killer" - Talking Heads [1977]
3. "Message in a Bottle" - The Police [1979]

Can't complain much about this bracket either, other than "God Bless America" (which at least is a good tune). Gotta go with the lascivious duet, which I actually love for the mellow arrangement as much as anything. Coin-flip between the excellent Heads and Police tracks.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 16
3. "Steady, as She Goes" - The Raconteurs [2006]
4. "Strings of Life" - Rhythim Is Rhythim [1987]

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 11
1. "Wild Thing" - The Troggs [1966]
2. "West End Blues" - Louis Armstrong & His Hot Five [1928]
3. "Seether" - Veruca Salt [1994]
4. "Voodoo Ray" - A Guy Called Gerald [1989]

1. "Move Your Feet" - Junior Senior [2003]
2. "Thunder Road" - Bruce Springsteen [1975]
3. "Eleanor Rigby" - The Beatles [1966]
4. "Stupid Girl" - Garbage [1995]

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 12
1. "This Charming Man" - The Smiths [1984]
2. "Rock with You" - Michael Jackson [1979]
3. "You Oughta Know" - Alanis Morissette [1995]
4: "Hungry Like the Wolf" - Duran Duran [1982]

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "She's Not There" - The Zombies [1964]
2. "One O'Clock Jump" - Count Basie & His Orchestra [1937]
3. "Strange Fruit" - Billie Holiday [1939]
4. "Windowlicker" - Aphex Twin [1999]

1. "Remember (Walkin' in the Sand)" - The Shangri-Las [1964]
2. "Mannish Boy" - Muddy Waters [1955]
4. "Birdhouse in Your Soul" - They Might Be Giants [1990]

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 10
3. "Midnight Train to Georgia" - Gladys Knight & the Pips [1973]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 14
1. "Message in a Bottle" - The Police [1979]
2. "Psycho Killer" - Talking Heads [1977]
3. "Je T'Aime...Moi Non Plus" - Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg [1969]

Not enough time to give anything today.

What goes on here? The second consecutive weak week…my scanty comments are a function, partly of my hectic schedule, and partly because there’s little here I feel strongly about…

VERDI 16. Case in point. I feel so lukewarm about this group that I’m kind of going with chalk by default.
1. WONDERWALL. I guess it’s between this and “Song 2” for the title of best-known Britpop single in the US. Which is ironic, because neither of them is representative of what Britpop actually sounded like. A nice enough song, which should have a sign hung on it saying “ignore lyrics.”
2. STEADY AS SHE GOES
3. STRINGS OF LIFE
4. AIN’T NO SUNSHINE

MAHLER 11
1. WILD THING. I love big, dumb, fun songs, and this is as pure an example as you’ll find. Although I prefer the X cover.
2. SEETHER. An anthem for the acceptable face of riot grrrl. Veruca Salt (and L7 and Sleater-Kinney and the Breeders and Elastica) sometimes made it seem like the girls remembered how to rock at a time when the guys were mumbling in the back of their throats and playing third-hand Black Sabbath riffs at half-speed.
3. WEST END BLUES. A great slice of lugubrious Dixieland from Satchmo.
4. VOODOO RAY. Not bad, but unremarkable compared to the more iconic songs in this group.

TCHAIKOVSKY 11
1. ELEANOR RIGBY. Possibly Paul’s finest hour, this is the kind of character observation which he could (and later did) produce in bulk, and which drove John crazy.
2. STUPID GIRL. The interesting thing about Garbage that makes them stand out for me, is that Shirl seems to be half-cartoon, half-rock girl. And I can’t always figure out which half is which. Anyhow, great song.
3. THUNDER ROAD
4. MOVE YOUR FEET

CHOPIN 12
1. THIS CHARMING MAN. Not as good as Moz thought it was, just because the Smiths hadn’t yet reached their artistic high point (there are at least three better songs on TQID), but withal, a great mission statement for a very good band.
2. HUNGRY LIKE THE WOLF. Simon LeBon doesn’t sound half as predatory as he wishes he did, but the riff and the percussion are enough to carry this one to its well-deserved 80s-reunion-staple status.
3. ROCK WITH YOU. I don’t think this has held up that well…it’s from the era when I was first really listening to the radio intently, and it sounds interchangeable with a hundred other disco-era soul hits to me.
4. YOU OUGHTA KNOW. You oughta be embarrassed.

LISZT 4
1. STRANGE FRUIT. Absolutely deserves its place as the highest-ranking pre-Elvis song on AM. On—appropriately—a bare skeleton of a song, these are the most powerful and harrowing lyrics you could ask for, with Billie’s masterful vocal winding slowly through the song like vines on southern trees. Even the crackly reproduction contributes, adding to the sense that this was a documentary, reminding us, even in Obama’s America, that this really happened.
2. SHE’S NOT THERE
3. WINDOWLICKER. The image that comes to mind, for some reason, is a plastic bag straining to hold a bowling ball.
4. ONE O’CLOCK JUMP

SIBELIUS 14. My pick for strongest group of the week. By a country mile.
1. SHEENA IS A PUNK ROCKER. The doubters may never be convinced, but I still think that the Ramones deserve credit for sticking to one basic song template (on brilliant display here). Nobody ever did what they did as well as them…and I happen to love what they did.
2. BIRDHOUSE IN YOUR SOUL. “Ana Ng” is better, but this happens to be the great song that hit when more people had heard of them. Still, I have to love a song with these lyrics:
There’s a picture opposite me
of my primitive ancestry
who stood on rocky shores and kept the beaches shipwreck-free
Though I respect that a lot
I’d be fired if that was my job
after killing Jason off, and countless screaming Argonauts…
3. MANNISH BOY. This bracket is so good that I’m putting my beloved Muddy third. Ouch.
4. REMEMBER (WALKIN’ IN THE SAND). This probably only occurred to me because of this bracket, but I wonder if the Shangri-Las were the They Might Be Giants of girl groups. Am I onto anything here? (probably not…)

HAYDN 10
1. SWEET DREAMS (ARE MADE OF THIS). Kraftwerk meets the ice queen. Despite a serious problem of overexposure, this still briefly brings a lump to my throat every time that opening synth line begins.
2. THE MERCY SEAT
3. MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA. If anyone wants to dig for it, there’s a nice Doonesbury cartoon based on this song.
4. HONG KONG GARDEN. It must be killing Moonbeam that Siouxsie and Annie L. are in the same group.

BACH 14
1. PSYCHO KILLER. Geek rock was born here. Even though this is the sound of the Heads taking their first, sometimes faltering steps, it’s as moving and powerful as their best work.
2. MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE. One of the best things the Police ever did…certainly illustrates what Stewart Copeland brought to the group.
3. JE T’AIME MOI NON PLUS. The only song in the tournament that should come with a towel (that’s a compliment).
4. GOD BLESS AMERICA. I will throw myself again on the mercy of the judges and say I have no idea how to compare Kate Smith to the other three songs here. She’s on a different planet in every way.

I'm on puppy watch, so I don't have lots of time! I'll vote for the brackets where I know all the songs for now. Hopefully I can listen to some of the others and vote then.

1. Junior Senior- "Move Your Feet": One of the most bewitching indie dance smashes of the decade, "Move Your Feet" certainly makes me move mine!
2. Garbage- "Stupid Girl": I'm pleasantly surprised that this is acclaimed enough to warrant a spot in Bracketology. Garbage had some great singles in the 90s, including this one.
3. Bruce Springsteen- "Thunder Road": Not my favorite by the Boss, but one of the ones I like the most.
4. The Beatles- "Eleanor Rigby": Not my cuppa.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 12

1. The Smiths- "This Charming Man": This earns a very close win. The Smiths are one of my favorite bands, and this early single set the stage for their cult prowess quite well.
2. Duran Duran- "Hungry Like the Wolf": A true 80s classic, "Hungry Like the Wolf" probably deserves the most acclaim for the band, even if it's really "Save a Prayer" that makes me return to them.
3. Michael Jackson- "Rock With You": It pains me to put this 3rd, but so be it. I adore the heck out of Off the Wall, but "Rock With You" places well behind my favorites "Workin' Day and Night", "Get on the Floor" and the title track.
4. Alanis Morissette- "You Oughta Know": Before she became nothing more than a joke based on her album titles alone (my next guess for her? "Quote Unquote Quasi-Semi Curious"), Alanis captured the angry-grrrl theme of the 90s. It's not a bad single, but I don't have much time for this anymore.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 10

1. Eurythmics- "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)": My favorite song not by Prince (and my number 3 of all-time)! If it advances along with "1999", it would more than make up for my piss-poor record in Bracketology! I really think it is the crowning achievement of an entire genre- synth pop. That booming synth line has mesmerized me ever since I've known music, and the iconic video led me to dye my hair bright orange when I was 19, prompting my Spanish teacher to refer to me as "el nuevo estudiante". The background to this song is just amazing. Dave and Annie were cowering in poverty and on the verge of calling it quits after The Tourists disbanded and an entire album and 5 singles as Eurythmics had flopped. Annie and Dave were in the midst of a fight when Dave simply asked, "Can I just program this drum track?", after which he accidentally played it backwards. Through some act of providence, this caused Annie to get up with a jolt, head to her synthesizer, and magically unleash that giant synth line, arguably the most famous synth line of the 80s. Stunned, the group got to work, and Annie added the vocals in a single take. Their poverty caused Dave and Annie to be very inventive with the recording of the album- it sounds so full and textured, but the entire thing was recorded on 8-track equipment. The percussion you hear during the "ooooh" segment of this song is actually Dave and Annie banging picture frames against the wall!
2. Siouxsie and the Banshees- "Hong Kong Garden": The greatest musical discovery of the past 5 years for me, Siouxsie and the Banshees have provided me with such a rich sonic landscape to explore. My favorite stuff is the John McGeogh trio of albums from 1980-1982, but the early stuff is also quite fun.
3. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds- "The Mercy Seat": Every time I hear this, I'm reminded that I should really check him out. This is really, really interesting.
4. Gladys Knight & the Pips- "Midnight Train to Georgia": It hurts me to put this 4th, as I really quite like it. I always thought Gladys Knight was unfairly overlooked. Tough bracket.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Wonderwall" - Oasis [1995]: One of the best singles of the ‘90s, a track that almost justifies every claim that’s ever been made about the band (by themselves or others).
2. "Ain't No Sunshine" - Bill Withers [1971]: Simultaneously smooth and raw, the essence of a particular kind of early ‘70s soul. I know, I know, I know…
3. "Steady, as She Goes" - The Raconteurs [2006]: The kind of pure power-pop song Jack White could never allow on a White Stripes album (largely, one suspects, because Meg’s not that kind of drummer, and interpret that as you will). The perfect opening salvo to a refreshing side project that’s taken on a life of its own.
4. "Strings of Life" - Rhythim Is Rhythim [1987]: Lots of electronica this week for some reason, which translates to lots of #4’s for me! That’s a bit unfair; as is true with any genre, the more I listen the more I can appreciate the good stuff, and INNOVATOR is full of the good stuff. But not good enough to escape the Bracketology cellar, I’m afraid.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 11
1. "Seether" - Veruca Salt [1994]: Maybe I’m biased because I’m from VS’s hometown of Chicago, but I knew this one would endure from the moment I heard it. Massive, crunching guitar hooks (stolen from the Kinks, but who hasn’t done that?) frame one of the best songs ever written about female anger. Unfortunately, VS are one of the ultimate Acclaimed Music one-hit wonders – nothing else they did even came close to this.
2. "West End Blues" - Louis Armstrong & His Hot Five [1928]: Hugely influential, and thanks to the effortless brilliance of all involved hugely enjoyable beyond its incalculable historical value.
3. "Wild Thing" - The Troggs [1966]: Sometimes Big and Stupid hits the spot. I’ve mentioned this before, but one of the best novelty singles ever was a 1967 cover by “Senator Bobby”; the concept was that this was Robert Kennedy’s response to an actual spoken-word record by Sen. Everett Dirksen called “Gallant Men” that improbably became a top-40 hit. The record is hilarious, with a patient engineer coaching the “Senator” as he recites the lyrics in his thick Boston accent (“Uh, wild thing, uh, I think I, uh, love you.” “A little more Boston soul, Senator”). Best moment: “Uh, OK, Teddy on the ocarina!”
4. "Voodoo Ray" - A Guy Called Gerald [1989]: Eh.

1. "Eleanor Rigby" - The Beatles [1966]: A collection of surreal images that don’t really mean anything in and of themselves – in a way it’s more like a Lennon song than a McCartney (you can picture John reading the words and saying “The priest darning his socks, that’s a nice touch, Paul”) – but that, taken together and coupled by that just-the-right-side-of-melodramatic string arrangement, are utterly and unforgettably haunting.
2. "Thunder Road" - Bruce Springsteen [1975]: Such a perfect mood-setter for its album that it takes a few listens to realize what an oddly structured song it is, how slowly it builds to the almost explosive release of the can’t-really-call-it-a-chorus. Springsteen is such a born showman that it’s sometimes too easy to overlook his gifts as a craftsman.
3. "Stupid Girl" - Garbage [1995]: The biggest hit from a debut album that holds up remarkably well. It’s not really one of the best tracks (I’ve always been partial to “Vow” myself), but that isn’t saying much.
4. "Move Your Feet" - Junior Senior [2003]: It seems fun enough at first but soon becomes actively annoying; even if I liked it, though, it would still be a very easy #4 in this group.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 12
1. "You Oughta Know" - Alanis Morissette [1995]: She’s far from a one-hit wonder, but this record is so ridiculously strong in comparison to the rest of her work that she may as well be. “Seether” may be -about- female anger, but this is its pure and undiluted expression, and it still packs a wallop.
2. "This Charming Man" - The Smiths [1984]: They eclipsed it soon enough, but this was their early signature track, with its patented blend of irresistible guitar hooks and obliquely unsettling subject matter.
3. "Hungry Like the Wolf" - Duran Duran [1982]: Even more irresistible hooks, but there’s nothing at all oblique here (although those moans on the fadeout are more than a little unsettling; I’ve always felt they didn’t sound entirely consensual). A howl and a whine, indeed.
4. "Rock with You" - Michael Jackson [1979]: The first SH2B4 of the week. One of MJ’s biggest hits, and I do like it, but there are a number of OTW tracks I like more.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Strange Fruit" - Billie Holiday [1939]: It’s time for another Bracketology installment of “This really has to compete with other records?” It’s not merely an indelible recording of a great song – it’s one of the most important pieces of art created in the 20th century. The imagery is poetic but as blunt as a bucket of ice water in your face – it wants to be artistic but at the same time it never wants you to forget what it’s about, and it fulfills both goals as magnificently as possible.
2. "She's Not There" - The Zombies [1964]: British Invasion pop with a twist, thanks to Colin Blunstone’s vocals and Rod Argent’s jazzy electric piano. Not much hint of the ODESSEY to come, but it’s endured.
3. "One O'Clock Jump" - Count Basie & His Orchestra [1937]: I get why it’s good, but big-band jazz has never really done much for me.
4. "Windowlicker" - Aphex Twin [1999]: I should rank it higher because of Chris Cunningham’s hilariously repulsive video (James has always admirably rebelled against the often-humorless image of his genre), but I can’t.

1. "Mannish Boy" - Muddy Waters [1955]: In which Muddy steals his own song back from Bo Diddley. I always think of the Johnny Winter-produced remake from HARD AGAIN (“We-ell … everything … everything gon’ be alright this mawnin’!” Winter, faintly: “YEAH!” Bom-BOM-bom-bom-BOM!) first with this song.
2. "Birdhouse in Your Soul" - They Might Be Giants [1990]: The improbable, indelible radio hit for these most improbable rock stars. Of all the inscrutably clever lyrics that pepper TMBG’s classic first three albums, “My love is infinite/Like a Longines Symphonette” may be the best (although “His shoes are laced with irony” comes close).
3. "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker" - The Ramones [1977]: It might be sacrilege, but I’ve never been a huge fan of this song. I just think there are so many Ramones songs that are better.
4. "Remember (Walkin' in the Sand)" - The Shangri-Las [1964]: SH2B4, in this odd bracket where I don’t really feel that strongly about any of the songs. A less gimmicky record than “Leader of the Pack” but in its own way even more melodramatic, and just as much fun.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "Midnight Train to Georgia" - Gladys Knight & the Pips [1973]: An instant classic – a wonderful song with an unusual lyrical perspective, given a first-rate production and a superb performance highlighted by The Greatest Backing Vocals Ever. They’ve been repeatedly parodied over the years (including, memorably, by the Knight-less Pips themselves on Richard Pryor’s short-lived and budget-challenged mid-70s variety show; the bit posited that the show only had enough money for the Pips, who proceeded to perform only their parts of the song) for a reason.
2. "The Mercy Seat" - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds [1988]: Even with the suddenly exponential growth in Cave’s acclaim during the last few years, this song still holds pride of place in his vast oeuvre. I actually think Johnny Cash’s brilliant cover on AMERICAN III is even more harrowing, but that’s a purely relative statement once those endlessly hypnotic repetitions (with subtle variations) of the chorus kick in.
3. "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" - Eurythmics [1983]: So singular and so startlingly different from everything else that was on the radio at the time that they initially seemed like one-hit wonders. That turned out not to be the case, of course, but it still sounds different from everything else they did.
4. "Hong Kong Garden" - Siouxsie & the Banshees [1978]: A memorable single from one of my favorite musical eras, but comes up far short in this company.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 14
1. "Psycho Killer" - Talking Heads [1977]: I suppose a lot of people hearing this in ’77 probably mistook Byrne and company for potential one-“hit” wonders, too. An unsettlingly brilliant song that evokes its narrator’s title condition not by describing gory events but by simply accumulating images from a distorted mental state (in context, “I hate people when they’re not polite” is one of the scariest phrases ever uttered). Byrne probably could have spent his career rewriting it if he’d wanted to, but thankfully his ambitions ran deeper.
2. "Je T'Aime...Moi Non Plus" - Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg [1969]: I’ve been listening to a lot of Gainsbourg lately given his prevalence in the new update, and I can report that this brazen classic is representative of the man but not necessarily of his music. It’s highly entertaining, though, and you sure as hell don’t need to understand French to get it.
3. "Message in a Bottle" - The Police [1979]: Wow, you mean the world is full of lonely people? What a profound insight, Mr. Sumner! Now spend what seems like five hours just repeating “Sending out an S.O.S.” over and over again (always, always a problem with this band). Oh, well. You keep coming back to the Police for the brilliant music, not the lyrics, and the trio is particularly tight here.
4. "God Bless America" - Kate Smith [1939]: Again, it seems odd that this should be competing here. What can you say about it? It does what it does well, but is it something I’d choose to listen to outside of a mass-audience context? Or anyone else?

1: "Wonderwall" – Oasis: I may very well be the biggest Oasis fan on this forum (or if not, certainly their most vocal supporter), so this vote, for me, is about as instinctive as breathing. But to spare everyone a verbose comment on its greatness, I’ll keep things short here and simply add that "Wonderwall" is definitely a case where one of a band’s most popular songs (if not the most popular) is among their best – Noel's songwriting would never be as concise or fluidly effortless as it was on (WTS)MG. Love him or hate him, he certainly knew his way around a melody. But to tag schleuse’s comment, if you ever wanted to make the case that lyrics - especially those in pop music - are given far too much merit, you’d have no better ace in the hole than this song. As much as we may not like to admit it, sometimes all it takes is the right mixture of phonemes and melody to make a song endure. Here, the combination is simply flawless.
2: "Ain't No Sunshine" - Bill Withers
3: "Steady, as She Goes" - The Raconteurs
4: "Strings of Life" - Rhythim Is Rhythim

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 11
1: "Seether" - Veruca Salt
2: "West End Blues" - Louis Armstrong & His Hot Five
3: "Voodoo Ray" - A Guy Called Gerald
4: "Wild Thing" - The Troggs: Awful.

1: "Thunder Road" - Bruce Springsteen
2: "Eleanor Rigby" - The Beatles: Not as fond of it as I once was.
3: "Stupid Girl" - Garbage
4: "Move Your Feet" - Junior Senior

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 12
1: "Hungry Like the Wolf" - Duran Duran
2: "This Charming Man" - The Smiths
3: "You Oughta Know" - Alanis Morissette
4: "Rock with You" - Michael Jackson

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 4
1: "Strange Fruit" - Billie Holiday
2: She's Not There" - The Zombies
3: "Windowlicker" - Aphex Twin
4: "One O'Clock Jump" - Count Basie & His Orchestra

1: "Remember (Walkin' in the Sand)" - The Shangri-Las
2: "Mannish Boy" - Muddy Waters
3: "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker" - The Ramones
4: "Birdhouse in Your Soul" - They Might Be Giants

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 10
1: "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" - Eurythmics
2: "Midnight Train to Georgia" - Gladys Knight & the Pips
3: "The Mercy Seat" - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
4: "Hong Kong Garden" - Siouxsie & the Banshees

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 14
1: "Psycho Killer" - Talking Heads: "Hi. I’ve got a tape I wanna play..."
2: "Je T'Aime...Moi Non Plus" - Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg
3: "Message in a Bottle" - The Police
4: "God Bless America" - Kate Smith

Starting this week, I'll rate all songs on my five star scale, like I do on iTunes.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Ain't No Sunshine" - Bill Withers [1971]: 5/5 Is there a reason why this is not about 800 spots higher on the AM list? It should be right up there with songs like “Let’s Stay Together” in terms of acclaim. It’s accessible, soulful, and passionate.
2. "Wonderwall" - Oasis [1995]: 5/5 Won’t really complain when this one wins the bracket and places high in the song poll. I love the drumming on this track.
3. "Steady, as She Goes" - The Raconteurs [2006]: 4/5 Solid effort, but not up to Jack White’s better singles with The White Stripes.
4. "Strings of Life" - Rhythim Is Rhythim [1987]: 2/5 This hasn’t really aged well, has it?

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 11
1. "Wild Thing" - The Troggs [1966]: 4/5 One of those great moments in rock history when a completely unknown band delivers a perfect single, only to never be seen again.
2. "West End Blues" - Louis Armstrong & His Hot Five [1928]: 3/5 Very enjoyable, but I don’t see any reason why it’s transcendent.
3. "Seether" - Veruca Salt [1994]: 3/5 The music is decent, but I find the vocals off-putting.
4. "Voodoo Ray" - A Guy Called Gerald [1989]: 2.5/5 Like “Strings of Life,” it’s straight outta the 80s. I guess it inspired some artists I enjoy, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it.

1. "Eleanor Rigby" - The Beatles [1966]: 5/5 Behind “In My Life,” it’s my second-favorite Beatles track. Complimenting this song’s string arrangement might be as cliché as praising the guitar solo in “Stairway to Heaven,” but I am still awed by it every time I listen to the song.
2. "Move Your Feet" - Junior Senior [2003]: 4/5 This is one of those tracks that I’ve heard tons of times before, but never knew what it was called or who it was by. It’s as entertaining to listen to as I assume it would be to dance to.
3. "Thunder Road" - Bruce Springsteen [1975]: 3.5/5 Unquestionably an epic rock track, but something about it just turns me off. I like the lyrics, but to me Springsteen doesn’t deliver them as well as he could have. The whole song just comes off as rushed.
4. "Stupid Girl" - Garbage [1995]: 2/5 This song just doesn’t bring anything to the table. I was actually shocked at how average it is.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 12
1. "This Charming Man" - The Smiths [1984]: 5/5 I assume this will end up in first or last on basically everyone’s ballot. I’m a Smiths fan, so it ends up here.
2. "You Oughta Know" - Alanis Morissette [1995]: 4/5 I always forget how good this song is unless I’m listening to it. A charged vocal performance and a subtly excellent bassline make this the obvious highlight of Morissette’s career.
3. "Hungry Like the Wolf" - Duran Duran [1982]: 3/5 Decent by 80s pop hit standards, average-to-mediocre by all other standards.
4. "Rock with You" - Michael Jackson [1979]: 2.5/5 The only thing this song really succeeds in is hitting the middle of the road. Not one of MJ’s better pop moments.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Windowlicker" - Aphex Twin [1999]: 4.5/5 Aphex Twin has been a recent discovery for me. I have become addicted to this track over the past few weeks; it’s just so relaxing, unique, and inventive.
2. "Strange Fruit" - Billie Holiday [1939]: 4.5/5 It’s hard to put such an obviously important and amazing song in second, but I need to warm up to its musical style a little more.
3. "She's Not There" - The Zombies [1964]: 4/5 A quick survey of my past voting shows that this is the best song I’ve ever placed third. I don’t think I really need to justify why this is a great pop track, I just wished it was joined on the AM list by some songs off of Odessey and Oracle.
4. "One O'Clock Jump" - Count Basie & His Orchestra [1937]: 2/5 Out of its league here.

1. "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker" - The Ramones [1977]: 4.5/5 Somehow this simultaneously sounds just like most other Ramones songs while being better than them. I find myself at an odd struggle to identify why I think it’s by far their best track.
2. "Mannish Boy" - Muddy Waters [1955]: 4/5 Kicks all kinds of ass; one of the best blues songs in Bracketology so far. Unfortunately it runs up against an utterly transcendent pop song.
3. "Birdhouse in Your Soul" - They Might Be Giants [1990]: 2.5/5 Tries a little too hard to be eccentric.
4. "Remember (Walkin' in the Sand)" - The Shangri-Las [1964]: 2/5 Certainly on my short list of this week’s worst songs.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" - Eurythmics [1983]: 4.5/5 In a decade defined largely by synth-pop, this is its best synth-riff. Unlike most 80s pop music, it manages to evoke emotion and thought.
2. "Midnight Train to Georgia" - Gladys Knight & the Pips [1973]: 3/5 This is really the best song of 1973, critics? I think not.
3. "The Mercy Seat" - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds [1988]: 2/5 I’ve listened to this three times expecting to like it. It’s 0-3.
4. "Hong Kong Garden" - Siouxsie & the Banshees [1978]: 2/5 I assume this band has far better songs than this, considering their general level of acclaim. What are they?

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 14
1. "Je T'Aime...Moi Non Plus" - Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg [1969]: 4/5 Can you imagine how laughable this song would be if it was in English?
2. “Psycho Killer" - Talking Heads [1977]: 4/5 As close to a singular song as you’ll find in the pop world. Though I guess the same could be said of “Je T’Aime”…
3. "Message in a Bottle" - The Police [1979]: 3/5 What are you sending out again, Sting? Oh, an S.O.S., sorry I didn’t hear you the first 80 million times you said it.
4. "God Bless America" - Kate Smith [1939]: 1/5 I’m a proud American, but this is unlistenable.

This bracket is heavy on 'Great songs from inconsistent albums'. Wonderwall, Steady As She Goes. Though I'm not sure how the UK critics made the jump from 'A handful of really good British pop rock songs' to 'OMG THE NEW BEATLES!' UK rock critics must really miss the 60's when the felt important.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 16
#917: "Ain't No Sunshine" - Bill Withers [1971]

Probably my favorite version of Wild Thing. I like what the slower pace and the ringing guitar does for the emotion.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 11
#680: "Seether" - Veruca Salt [1994]

I thought this bracket would be between Beatles and Springsteen, but then I heard Move Your Feet. Junior Senior sounds like The Go Team but better. My first exposure to Eleanor Rigby was presented as a poem in a Norton anthology in english class. I find it funny, in a ciriculum designed around canonizing European art culture, they have us read Beatles lyrics. Hear that culture elitists? The Beatles are okay to like! Provided that you strip them of their fun and tirelessly overanalyze them.

#347: "Eleanor Rigby" - The Beatles [1966]

Very strong bracket. Classic Smiths, early MJ, Duran Duran's best song, and an originally overrated but now very underrated Alanis song. It's a shame Alanis Morisette got so much instant fame for her angry songs. People not only hated her for selling so well, they got her a reputation as a man-hater, only a few years before everybody got obsessively homophobic over the whole subject of feminism. (Alanis still has a great song or two on every album. Hands Clean, Rapture, etc.)

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 12
#420: "You Oughta Know" - Alanis Morissette [1995]

Two loungish thirties songs, one droning electronic song, and the Zombies.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 4
#626: "She's Not There" - The Zombies [1964]
#114: "Strange Fruit" - Billie Holiday [1939]
#911: "One O'Clock Jump" - Count Basie & His Orchestra [1937]
#399: "Windowlicker" - Aphex Twin [1999]

It's between The Ramones and Muddy Waters. The Ramones sounding like 60's pop to surprisingly good effect.

#273: "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker" - The Ramones [1977]
#240: "Mannish Boy" - Muddy Waters [1955]
#752: "Birdhouse in Your Soul" - They Might Be Giants [1990]
#785: "Remember (Walkin' in the Sand)" - The Shangri-Las [1964]

Sweet Dreams is one of the catchiest songs ever recorded, but Mercy Seat is just awesome. Siouxsie and the Banshees are a band I may need to get an album by.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 10
#730: "The Mercy Seat" - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds [1988]
#295: "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" - Eurythmics [1983]
#807: "Hong Kong Garden" - Siouxsie & the Banshees [1978]
#218: "Midnight Train to Georgia" - Gladys Knight & the Pips [1973]

God Bless America is another example of a good song that gets used for evil by people who like shoving their culture down everyone else's throats. Psycho Killer is a good song that gets too much credit for weirdness. But it does have awesome lyrics. Message In A Bottle is a typically cheesy Police song whose only saving virtue is a good guitar riff. Je T'Aime is an example of the great stuff made in France in the late 60's/early 70's that, judging by AM trends, critics are just now discovering.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 14
#287: "Je T'Aime...Moi Non Plus" - Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg [1969]
#226: "Psycho Killer" - Talking Heads [1977]
#799: "God Bless America" - Kate Smith [1939]
#738: "Message in a Bottle" - The Police [1979]

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 16
2. "Steady, as She Goes" - The Raconteurs [2006]
3. "Strings of Life" - Rhythim Is Rhythim [1987]
4. "Ain't No Sunshine" - Bill Withers [1971]

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 11
1. "Voodoo Ray" - A Guy Called Gerald [1989]
2. "Wild Thing" - The Troggs [1966]
3. "West End Blues" - Louis Armstrong & His Hot Five [1928]
4. "Seether" - Veruca Salt [1994] Wow, I didn't have heard this before and it's from 90's. I don't know why they are acclaimed. Was this a hit somewhere?

TCHAIKOVSKY BLOC, BRACKET 11 Interesting group. Tonight Move Your Feet was best but I still give points to Stupid Girl because Garbage was one of my favourite bands in the late 90's. Eleanor Rigby was my favourite Beatles song when I was younger so Move Your Feet only beats The Boss. Thunder Road is also good song and one of the best by Springsteen.
1. "Stupid Girl" - Garbage [1995]
4. "Thunder Road" - Bruce Springsteen [1975]

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 12
1. "This Charming Man" - The Smiths [1984] The first big song by The Smiths is their best. Everything is just perfect. In top five of the decade.
2. "Rock with You" - Michael Jackson [1979]
3. "You Oughta Know" - Alanis Morissette [1995]
4. "Hungry Like the Wolf" - Duran Duran [1982]

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 4
2. "She's Not There" - The Zombies [1964]
3. "Windowlicker" - Aphex Twin [1999]
4. "One O'Clock Jump" - Count Basie & His Orchestra [1937]

1. "Birdhouse in Your Soul" - They Might Be Giants [1990]
2. "Remember (Walkin' in the Sand)" - The Shangri-Las [1964] I like also the cover by Aerosmith.
4. "Mannish Boy" - Muddy Waters [1955]

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 10
2. "Midnight Train to Georgia" - Gladys Knight & the Pips [1973]
3. "Hong Kong Garden" - Siouxsie & the Banshees [1978]
4. "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" - Eurythmics [1983]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 14
1. "Psycho Killer" - Talking Heads [1977]
2. "Je T'Aime...Moi Non Plus" - Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg [1969] To me the biggest wtf-moment of history of this forum was when in all time song poll in 08 this song showed up. And it was in top 100. I never would have thought this was song that got acclaim. It was just a song from semi-erotic comercials or some sketches. It was funny for sure but were there really something else. I still don't know but at least its bigger pleasure to listen to this than those two below.
3. "Message in a Bottle" - The Police [1979]

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 16
1 - "Wonderwall" - Oasis [1995]
2 - "Ain't No Sunshine" - Bill Withers [1971]
3 - "Steady, as She Goes" - The Raconteurs [2006]
4 - "Strings of Life" - Rhythim Is Rhythim [1987]

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 11
1 - "Wild Thing" - The Troggs [1966]
2 - "Voodoo Ray" - A Guy Called Gerald [1989]
3 - "Seether" - Veruca Salt [1994]
4 - "West End Blues" - Louis Armstrong & His Hot Five [1928]

1 - "Thunder Road" - Bruce Springsteen [1975]
2 - "Eleanor Rigby" - The Beatles [1966]
3 - "Move Your Feet" - Junior Senior [2003]
4 - "Stupid Girl" - Garbage [1995]

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 12
1 - "This Charming Man" - The Smiths [1984]
2 - "Rock with You" - Michael Jackson [1979]
3 - "You Oughta Know" - Alanis Morissette [1995]
4 - "Hungry Like the Wolf" - Duran Duran [1982]

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 4
1 - "Strange Fruit" - Billie Holiday [1939]
2 - "She's Not There" - The Zombies [1964]
3 - "Windowlicker" - Aphex Twin [1999]
4 - "One O'Clock Jump" - Count Basie & His Orchestra [1937]

1 - "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker" - The Ramones [1977]
2 - "Mannish Boy" - Muddy Waters [1955]
3 - "Remember (Walkin' in the Sand)" - The Shangri-Las [1964]
4 - "Birdhouse in Your Soul" - They Might Be Giants [1990]

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 10
1 - "Midnight Train to Georgia" - Gladys Knight & the Pips [1973]
2 - "The Mercy Seat" - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds [1988]
3 - "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" - Eurythmics [1983]
4 - "Hong Kong Garden" - Siouxsie & the Banshees [1978]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 14
1 - "Psycho Killer" - Talking Heads [1977]
3 - "Je T'Aime...Moi Non Plus" - Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg [1969]
2 - "Message in a Bottle" - The Police [1979]
4 - "God Bless America" - Kate Smith [1939]

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 16
1: "Ain't No Sunshine" - Bill Withers [1971]
2: "Wonderwall" - Oasis [1995]
3: "Steady, as She Goes" - The Raconteurs [2006]
4: "Strings of Life" - Rhythim Is Rhythim [1987]

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 11
1: "Seether" - Veruca Salt [1994]
2: "Voodoo Ray" - A Guy Called Gerald [1989]
3: "Wild Thing" - The Troggs [1966]
4: "West End Blues" - Louis Armstrong & His Hot Five [1928]

1: "Thunder Road" - Bruce Springsteen [1975]
2: "Eleanor Rigby" - The Beatles [1966]
3: "Move Your Feet" - Junior Senior [2003]
4: "Stupid Girl" - Garbage [1995]

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 12
1: "Hungry Like the Wolf" - Duran Duran [1982]
2: "You Oughta Know" - Alanis Morissette [1995]
3: "This Charming Man" - The Smiths [1984]
4: "Rock with You" - Michael Jackson [1979]

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 4
1: "She's Not There" - The Zombies [1964]
2: "Strange Fruit" - Billie Holiday [1939]
3: "Windowlicker" - Aphex Twin [1999]
4: "One O'Clock Jump" - Count Basie & His Orchestra [1937]

1: "Birdhouse in Your Soul" - They Might Be Giants [1990]
2: "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker" - The Ramones [1977]
3: "Mannish Boy" - Muddy Waters [1955]
4: "Remember (Walkin' in the Sand)" - The Shangri-Las [1964]

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 10
1: "Midnight Train to Georgia" - Gladys Knight & the Pips [1973]
2: "Hong Kong Garden" - Siouxsie & the Banshees [1978]
3: "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" - Eurythmics [1983]
4: "The Mercy Seat" - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds [1988]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 14
1: "Psycho Killer" - Talking Heads [1977]
2: "Message in a Bottle" - The Police [1979]
3: "Je T'Aime...Moi Non Plus" - Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg [1969]
4: "God Bless America" - Kate Smith [1939]

Only four hours left for this week!

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Wonderwall" - Oasis [1995] - I hate everything about Oasis - except their music. This is my favorite song of theirs - and the lyrics suck, and they're aping the Beatles again, and I still love it. I don't get it.
2. "Ain't No Sunshine" - Bill Withers [1971] - Understated and underrated, like Mr. Withers himself.
3. "Strings of Life" - Rhythim Is Rhythim [1987] - The introduction intrigued me. The drums came in, and I dug it. It was like Daft Punk, but before Daft Punk ever existed. I swooned, then head-bobbed another 6 minutes of bliss.
4. "Steady, as She Goes" - The Raconteurs [2006] - Mr. White, stick to the Stripes. Not that this is bad, but it feels weird without Meg.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 11
#168: "Wild Thing" - The Troggs [1966] - I prefer Jimi Hendrix's Live at Monterrey, but the original is good too. But I hate listening to it because it's overplayed to death, mostly by amateur guitarists.
2. "West End Blues" - Louis Armstrong & His Hot Five [1928] - Trumpet solo at the end saved it.
3. "Voodoo Ray" - A Guy Called Gerald [1989] - Interesting samples, I guess.
4. "Seether" - Veruca Salt [1994] - No. Average '90s guitar alt-pop.

1. "Eleanor Rigby" - The Beatles [1966] - This song has done more for overblown string arrangements than any other, and that's because it's utterly brilliant. It's their most avant-garde single save "Strawberry Fields" and it's probably Paul's best lyric ever.
2. "Thunder Road" - Bruce Springsteen [1975] - Amazing opening track off my #2 album, but it's middle-of-the-pack on Born to Run.
3. "Move Your Feet" - Junior Senior [2003] - It's too obviously retro to be cool, and too dated-sounding to be fresh, but it's aight.
4. "Stupid Girl" - Garbage [1995] - I don't get '90s alterna-chicks - the Joni Mitchell-esque angelic voices don't mesh well with power chords too well. And it may sound sexist but they're generally not as eloquent or direct as the decade's boys.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 12
1. "This Charming Man" - The Smiths [1984] - This song was my introduction to the Smiths, and the deal was sealed in the first 5 seconds, cause Johnny Marr is ridiculous.
2. "Hungry Like the Wolf" - Duran Duran [1982] - I've overplayed it on Rock Band, but only cause it's good. And who can forget the video?
3. "Rock with You" - Michael Jackson [1979] - It's the second-best MJ single of the '70s, but it's got a long way to go to catch #1.
4. "You Oughta Know" - Alanis Morissette [1995] - Yeah the lyrics are angry, but the shocking thing is that people bought the record in spite of them, not the lyrics themselves.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "She's Not There" - The Zombies [1964] - One of the best singles released that year, which is saying a lot.
2. "Windowlicker" - Aphex Twin [1999] - It's dark, and it's dancey - me likey!
3. "One O'Clock Jump" - Count Basie & His Orchestra [1937] - Good old-fashioned jazz. My great-grandparents love this stuff, and I would too, if I were 90. Alas, I'm not, but it's still decent.
4. "Strange Fruit" - Billie Holiday [1939] - This song gets a lot of love, but the music doesn't move me, and that's the key. The lyrics are first-class spooky, but that doesn't save the song.

1. "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker" - The Ramones [1977] - I like the Ramones best when they're poppy, and a s this is their poppiest song I can think of, it's also their best.
2. "Birdhouse in Your Soul" - They Might Be Giants [1990] - Is proto-Weezer a genre? It is now.
3. "Remember (Walkin' in the Sand)" - The Shangri-Las [1964] - Girl-group melodrama at its finest. I love that breakdown.
4. "Mannish Boy" - Muddy Waters [1955] - The good old SH2B4.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "Midnight Train to Georgia" - Gladys Knight & the Pips [1973] - The Pips put on a clinic in tastefulness.
2. "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" - Eurythmics [1983] - Androgynous girl meets boy, they fight, drum machine accidentally reverses, chick pumps out synth line, single hits #1, Moonbeam (and Henrik) rejoice. Still doesn't beat #1.
3. "The Mercy Seat" - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds [1988] - If this wasn't my first time hearing this I might put it at #1.
4. "Hong Kong Garden" - Siouxsie & the Banshees [1978] - So this is where Bowie got "China Girl"...maybe not, but this bracket is a lot better than I expected.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 14
1. "Message in a Bottle" - The Police [1979] - Another one of Sting's wonderfully lonesome ruminations on top of Andy Summer's fantastic guitar work.
2. "Psycho Killer" - Talking Heads [1977] - Call me crazy, but I'm not an enormous fan of Talking Heads, save "Once in a Lifetime" but this is decent. I quote it every French class.
3. "Je T'Aime...Moi Non Plus" - Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg [1969] - I usually can't get through this without cracking up laughing. And usually that's a good thing but not here.
4. "God Bless America" - Kate Smith [1939] - Patriotic songs from elementary school not written by Woody Guthrie = automatic last place.

Voting is over for this week. I'll have the results in the morning. And I haven't forgotten about statistics; I'll be posting updated statistics tomorrow as well.

RESULTS

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Wonderwall" - Oasis (48 points, 8 first-place votes)
2. "Ain't No Sunshine" - Bill Withers (43, 5)
3. "Steady, as She Goes" - The Raconteurs (29, 0)
4. "Strings of Life" - Rhythim Is Rhythim (20, 1)

In the next round: Robert Johnson's "Cross Roads Blues"; Nirvana's "Come as You Are"

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 11
1. "Wild Thing" - The Troggs (42, 7)
2. "Seether" - Veruca Salt (36, 4)
3. "West End Blues" - Louis Armstrong & His Hot Five (34, 2)
4. "Voodoo Ray" - A Guy Called Gerald (28, 1)

In the next round: Smokey Robinson & the Miracles' "The Tracks of My Tears"; Wilson Pickett's "In the Midnight Hour"

1. "Eleanor Rigby" - The Beatles (46, 5)
2. "Thunder Road" - Bruce Springsteen (40, 5)
3. "Move Your Feet" - Junior Senior (34, 3)
4. "Stupid Girl" - Garbage (30, 2)

In the next round: Guns n' Roses' "Sweet Child o' Mine"

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 12
1. "This Charming Man" - The Smiths (48, 8)
2. "Hungry Like the Wolf" - Duran Duran (36, 2)
3. "You Oughta Know" - Alanis Morissette (35, 4)
4. "Rock with You" - Michael Jackson (31, 1)

In the next round: the Four Tops' "Reach Out (I'll Be There)"; the Beatles' "Help!"

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Strange Fruit" - Billie Holiday (43, 7)
2. "She's Not There" - The Zombies (40, 5)
3. "Windowlicker" - Aphex Twin (26, 1)
4. "One O'Clock Jump" - Count Basie & His Orchestra (21, 0)

In the next round: Pixies' "Debaser"; Joni Mitchell's "Free Man in Paris"

1. "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker" - The Ramones (39, 6)
2. "Mannish Boy" - Muddy Waters (34, 3)
3. "Birdhouse in Your Soul" - They Might Be Giants (32, 2)
4. "Remember (Walkin' in the Sand)" - The Shangri-Las (25, 2)

In the next round: the Beatles' "Strawberry Fields Forever"; Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Fortunate Son"; Simon & Garfunkel's "The Boxer"

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" - Eurythmics (41, 4)
2. "Midnight Train to Georgia" - Gladys Knight & the Pips (41, 6)
3. "The Mercy Seat" - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds (40, 4)
4. "Hong Kong Garden" - Siouxsie & the Banshees (18, 0)

NOTE: As mentioned in Week 17, once I started the "no comments necessary" rule, the caveat was that in case of a tie, only commented ballots would be taken into account. When uncommented ballots were removed, the new final score was: Eurythmics 29, Gladys Knight 25. So "Sweet Dreams" advances.

In the next round: the Rolling Stones' "Jumpin' Jack Flash"; Jimmy Cliff's "Many Rivers to Cross"; the Specials' "Ghost Town"

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 14
1. "Psycho Killer" - Talking Heads (47,
2. "Je T'Aime...Moi Non Plus" - Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg (37, 3)
3. "Message in a Bottle" - The Police (32, 2)
4. "God Bless America" - Kate Smith (14, 0)

In the next round: the Byrds' "Mr. Tambourine Man"; Sam & Dave's "Soul Man"; Elvis Costello & the Attractions' "Radio Radio"

STATISTICS

TOP TWENTY BEST-PERFORMING SONGS
1. "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay" - Otis Redding (3.905 points per ballot)
2. "Good Vibrations" - The Beach Boys (3.9)
3. "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (3.882)
4. "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" - The Four Tops (3.8)
5. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nirvana (3.778)
6. "Like a Rolling Stone" - Bob Dylan (3.765)
7. "All Along the Watchtower" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (3.75)
8. "You Really Got Me" - The Kinks (3.7)
9. "Crazy" - Gnarls Barkley (3.667) tie
9. "Georgia on My Mind" - Ray Charles (3.667) tie
11. "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast (3.65)
12. "The Tracks of My Tears" - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles (3.615) tie
12. "Psycho Killer" - Talking Heads (3.615) tie
14. "'Heroes'" - David Bowie (3.611)
15. "Once in a Lifetime" - Talking Heads (3.6)
16. "Living for the City" - Stevie Wonder (3.588)
17. "Strawberry Fields Forever" - The Beatles (3.571) tie
17. "London Calling" - The Clash (3.571) tie
17. "Tomorrow Never Knows" - The Beatles (3.571) tie
17. "Paranoid Android" - Radiohead (3.571) tie

TOP TWENTY WORST-PERFORMING SONGS
1. "God Bless America" - Kate Smith (1.077)
2. "Chime" - Orbital (1.176)
3. "Back in the Saddle Again" - Gene Autry (1.214)
4. "Young Blood" - The Coasters (1.235)
5. "Hong Kong Garden" - Siouxsie and the Banshees (1.286)
6. "Donna" - Ritchie Valens (1.333)
7. "You're No Good" - Linda Ronstadt (1.35)
8. "Just the Way You Are" - Billy Joel (1.353)
9. "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me" - Culture Club (1.375)
10. "Hot in Herre" - Nelly (1.4) tie
10. "I Want It That Way" - Backstreet Boys (1.4) tie
12. "The Only One I Know" - The Charlatans (1.412)
13. "Strings of Life" - Rhythim Is Rhythim (1.429) tie
13. "I'm Sorry" - Brenda Lee (1.429) tie
14. "It's Too Soon to Know" - The Orioles (1.45)
15. "I Will Always Love You" - Whitney Houston (1.467)
16. "Maneater" - Nelly Furtado (1.471)
17. "Crazy Arms" - Ray Price (1.474)
18. "Hot Stuff" - Donna Summer (1.529) tie
18. "Dry Your Eyes" - The Streets (1.529) tie
18. "Chantilly Lace" - The Big Bopper (1.529) tie

TOP TWENTY WORST-PERFORMING SONGS TO ADVANCE TO THE SECOND ROUND
1. "California Girls" - The Beach Boys (2.667) tie
1. "God" - John Lennon (2.667) tie
1. "One More Time" - Daft Punk (2.667) tie
4. "(Love Is Like a) Heat Wave" - Martha & the Vandellas (2.714)
5. "I Feel Love" - Donna Summer (2.75) tie
5. "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell (2.75) tie
7. "Me, Myself and I" - De La Soul (2.765)
8. "Free Man in Paris" - Joni Mitchell (2.769)
9. "Heartbreak Hotel" - Elvis Presley (2.778)
10. "Fast Car" - Tracy Chapman (2.810)
11. "Genius of Love" - Tom Tom Club (2.813)
12. "Fortunate Son" - Creedence Clearwater Revival (2.842)
13. "For What It's Worth" - Buffalo Springfield (2.846)
14. "Blowin' in the Wind" - Bob Dylan (2.85)
15. "Reelin' in the Years" - Steely Dan (2.857)
16. "Crying" - Roy Orbison (2.867) tie
16. "Hard to Explain" - The Strokes (2.867) tie
18. "I Wanna Be Your Dog" - The Stooges (2.882) tie
18. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - Bob Dylan (2.882) tie
20. "Ashes to Ashes" - David Bowie (2.895)

TOP TWENTY BEST-PERFORMING SONGS TO BE ELIMINATED IN THE FIRST ROUND
1. "All the Young Dudes" - Mott the Hoople (3.077) tie
1. "She's Not There" - The Zombies (3.077) tie
3. "Ain't No Sunshine" - Bill Withers (3.071)
4. "All Apologies" - Nirvana (3.062)
5. "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley & the Wailers (3.059)
6. "I Can See for Miles" - The Who (3.053)
7. "Rid of Me" - PJ Harvey (3.036)
8. "Try a Little Tenderness" - Otis Redding (3.0) tie
8. "Got My Mojo Working" - Muddy Waters (3.0) tie
8. "Oliver's Army" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions (3.0) tie
8. "Atmosphere" - Joy Division (3.0) tie
12. "Walk on By" - Dionne Warwick (2.952)
13. "Sign 'o' the Times" - Prince (2.95)
14. "Family Affair" - Sly & the Family Stone (2.941) tie
14. "Don't Worry Baby" - The Beach Boys (2.941) tie
14. "Ace of Spades" - Motörhead (2.941) tie
14. "Down in the Tube Station at Midnight" - The Jam (2.941) tie
18. "Midnight Train to Georgia" - Gladys Knight & the Pips (2.929) tie
18. "The Sound of Silence" - Simon & Garfunkel (2.929)
20. "Iron Man" - Black Sabbath (2.9)

TWENTY LOWEST-RANKED SONGS TO ADVANCE TO THE SECOND ROUND
1. "Frankie Teardrop" - Suicide (ranked #990)
2. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - Bob Dylan (#920)
3. "Free Man in Paris" - Joni Mitchell (#882)
4. "Ashes to Ashes" - David Bowie (#878)
5. "Hellhound on My Trail" - Robert Johnson (#870)
6. "Hard to Explain" - The Strokes (#851)
7. "One More Time" - Daft Punk (#824)
8. "Pale Blue Eyes" - The Velvet Underground (#801)
9. "Paper Planes" - M.I.A. (#793)
10. "That's When I Reach for My Revolver" - Mission of Burma (#772)
11. "Rebellion (Lies)" - Arcade Fire (#760)
12. "God" - John Lennon (#714)
13. "Karma Police" - Radiohead (#709)
14. "California Girls" - The Beach Boys (#696)
15. "Baba O'Riley" - The Who (#695)
16. "(Love Is Like a) Heat Wave" - Martha & the Vandellas (#665)
17. "Come as You Are" - Nirvana (#661)
18. "The Boxer" - Simon & Garfunkel (#657)
19. "So What" - Miles Davis (#636)
20. "Think" - Aretha Franklin (#630)

TWENTY HIGHEST-RANKED SONGS TO BE ELIMINATED IN THE FIRST ROUND
1. "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" - The Rolling Stones (#2)
2. "Hey Jude" - The Beatles (#35)
3. "(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock" - Bill Haley & His Comets (#46)
4. "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" - Jerry Lee Lewis (#64)
5. "Get Ur Freak On" - Missy Elliott (#70)
6. "That's All Right (Mama)" - Elvis Presley (#72)
7. "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley & the Wailers (#75)
8. "Summertime Blues" - Eddie Cochran (#79)
9. "Mystery Train" - Elvis Presley (#83)
10. "Stayin' Alive" - Bee Gees (#98)
11. "Crazy in Love" - Beyoncé (Featuring Jay-Z) (#105)
12. "Maggie May" - Rod Stewart (#107)
13. "Walk on By" - Dionne Warwick (#109)
14. "Born Slippy (Nuxx)" - Underworld (#113)
15. "Gloria" - Them (#115)
16. "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" - Hank Williams (#118)
17. "Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who (#121)
18. "Eight Miles High" - The Byrds (#124)
19. "Family Affair" - Sly & the Family Stone (#127)
20. "Sign 'o' the Times" - Prince (#129)

Matt Schroeder

1. "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" - Eurythmics (41, 4)

Yes! Yes! Yes!

2 travesties this weekL:

1. "Wild Thing" beating "West End Blues" -- really?!? I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the classic rock bent around here, but not only is "West End Blues" one of the most important pieces of the 20th century, it's also far less dated.

2. "Eleanor Rigby" beating "Thunder Road". I guess Beatles fandom holds no bounds...

I was the only one who didn't put God Bless America in last place?

I hope everyone else hated it based on it's lack of musical merit and not just because the most obnoxious people on TV like it.

This week nothing objectionable made it through but I'm disappointed Mercy Seat lost.