Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: AMF Top 200 Album poll : the results part 4 (the top 20)

Great job Nicolas, thanks a lot. A nice, varied list with some startling picks in the lower sections and then typically conservative near the top (although Arcade Fire this high was definitely a surprise to me). Cheers to all who participated.

Many thanks Nicolas, excellent work!

And, if I’m allowed to continue with some comments about America and rock&roll. Of course that rock ‘n’ roll is an American affair. In fact all the XX Century belonged to America, economic pre-eminence was always related with cultural pre-eminence. The best music and movies (almost) of the XX Century came from America, many music styles we all love were born in America (many of them from African Americans by the way).
But this was not always like that. During the previous century (XIX) the old Europe was the preeminent cultural force (and also economic). Beethoven, Wilde, Chopin, Renoir, Wagner, Goya, Zola, Byron, Liszt, Blake,… And if we go back even further, France during the XVIII Century and Spain during the XVII were the centre of the universe then.
And who really knows about what the XXI Century will take? The economic rising of China and Asia in general maybe will displace also the cultural focus. Not still popular but the Asiatic movies are beginning to gain the critics attention (Wong Kar-Wai, Hayao Miyazaki, Jia Zhang-Ke) and monopolize some festival awards. The Asiatic music is the most unknown right now (I told this previously in the “update” thread) but maybe this situation is going to change soon…

Honorio,

Another factor to consider: What made American music so special in the 20th century had a lot to do with the mixing of many different cultures from around the world into one geographic location. You don't see that kind of wide cultural diversity in the Asian countries like China and Japan. (Of course, that factor may be less important now that technology let's musical ideas flow so freely across physical boundaries. But my little music blog was banned in China, so who knows...)

Just catching up on all the fascinating comments and stuff for the last 7 entries. Fantastic job, Nicolas!

Thanks Nicolas. Great job.

Honorio
And, if I’m allowed to continue with some comments about America and rock&roll. Of course that rock ‘n’ roll is an American affair. In fact all the XX Century belonged to America, economic pre-eminence was always related with cultural pre-eminence. The best music and movies (almost) of the XX Century came from America, many music styles we all love were born in America (many of them from African Americans by the way).
But this was not always like that. During the previous century (XIX) the old Europe was the preeminent cultural force (and also economic). Beethoven, Wilde, Chopin, Renoir, Wagner, Goya, Zola, Byron, Liszt, Blake,… And if we go back even further, France during the XVIII Century and Spain during the XVII were the centre of the universe then.
And who really knows about what the XXI Century will take? The economic rising of China and Asia in general maybe will displace also the cultural focus. Not still popular but the Asiatic movies are beginning to gain the critics attention (Wong Kar-Wai, Hayao Miyazaki, Jia Zhang-Ke) and monopolize some festival awards. The Asiatic music is the most unknown right now (I told this previously in the “update” thread) but maybe this situation is going to change soon…

the boredoms are asiatic! see #39 of Pitchfork's 500 albums of the decade

Paul
What made American music so special in the 20th century had a lot to do with the mixing of many different cultures from around the world into one geographic location.

Yes, Paul, you raised a very interesting point. Many of the styles that were born in the USA were due to the interaction of different cultures. Jazz for instance was in fact the afroamericans trying their luck with the instruments coming from military brass bands (an European tradition), creating a new and fresh style. And you’re right, this is not the case today in Asia.

Michael
the boredoms are asiatic! see #39 of Pitchfork's 500 albums of the decade

Yes, Michael, The Boredoms, Yoko Ono, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and a trio from India (Shivkumar Sharma, Brijbushan Kabra & Hariprasad Chaurasia) and are the only Asiatic artists with representation in the AM Top 3000 (because M.I.A., Leila or Mika are really “Occidental” artists despite their “Oriental” roots).
But I can’t blame anyone, I admit that I have listened very little Asiatic music (except Nusrat and Ryuichi Sakamoto).