Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Top albums of 2009 spreadsheet - update thread

Thanks to otisredding, there's now also a EOY spreadsheet for the top albums of 2009.

Re: Top albums of 2009 spreadsheet - update thread

Thats great news, I gave it a quick look and saw that "The Pains of Being Pure At Heart" is ranked in the 11-20 area and "Pains of Being Pure At Heart" is in the 90's. Other than that its looking good.

Fixed!

The pains of being pure at heart is in the 90´s????? I dont think so my dude. I really remember that album coming out this year.

RADIOHEADSMAN
The pains of being pure at heart is in the 90´s????? I dont think so my dude. I really remember that album coming out this year.

Assuming you're being serious, what the earlier post meant was that THE PAINS OF BEING PURE AT HEART was listed twice on the spreadsheet by mistake - once within the top 20, once in the 90s...

Updated with Rough Trade. Thanks Otis!

Wow, not a single mention of Hospice yet.

That's really a pity, it's my top album for the year (and in my Top 100 favorite of all time now). I think that it is by far, the year's best release.

Couldn't agree more. Even the top 100 part, it currently ranks at #96 and #11 of the decade for me.

Updated with Uncut and Nettavisen. Thanks otisredding!

Stephan
Wow, not a single mention of Hospice yet.

Hospice will get its well-deserved recognition when the American indie lists roll in. I think it may take time for it to rise though. Hopefully it will eventually be represented in the context of the entire decade in addition to just this year. It's just too good of an album to completely pass up on.

Updated with Mojo. otisredding sent me this spreadsheet two days ago, but I haven't been home and able to upload it until now.

Updated with Planet Sound. Mostly UK lists so far...

Thanks otisredding!

Update with musicOMH, Muso's Guide, Sonic and Magic. Thanks otis!

Updated with Spin, NME, Clash, Gigwise, AV Club and Telerama. Many thanks, otisredding!

Updated with Filter, Fact, Hot Press, Classic Rock and Rumba. Otisredding is working hard!

http://www.themilkfactory.co.uk/st/2009/12/the-2009-review/

Updated with Decibel, Popmatters, Rock-A-Rolla, The Quietus, The Line Of Best Fit and The Wire.

And there's more coming in... otisredding, please let me know if it's too much work for you.

Today's updates from otisredding:

Paste
Consequence Of Sound
Slant
Aversion
Tiny Mix Tapes
Boomkat
Aftenposten
Nöjesguiden

Email from otisredding:

with Treble, eMusic, Pitchfork, AustinTownHall, Drowned In Sound, Resident Advisor, Les Inrocks, Humo

soon:
The Guardian
Vibrations
Agitreader
Beat Crave
Relevant Magazine
Muzicalia
Spex
Rolling Stone USA
The Sun
Jenesaispop

and I think there's even more lists posted in the critics' lists forum now. Phew! Let me know if you need help, otisredding!

They are really pouring in now. Fantastic work Otis (and the other collators as well, of course).

New update with The Guardian, Agitreader, Beat Crave, Relevant Magazine, Spex, Rolling Stone USA, The Sun, Jenesaispop, Woxy, The Epoch Times, Melophobe, Kerrang, Billboard, CBC and Other Music. Fantastic job, otisredding!

Another quick update from Otisredding, including Vibrations, Muzikalia, Allmusic, Piccadilly Records and Artrocker.

Thanks Otisredding!

Otis will be travelling over Christmas and New Year and will not make any updates until he's back on January 3rd. If someone wants to update the EOY albums spreadsheet in the meantime that would be great (Otis deserves better than coming home to a large pile of lists to add).

Henrik
Otis will be travelling over Christmas and New Year and will not make any updates until he's back on January 3rd. If someone wants to update the EOY albums spreadsheet in the meantime that would be great (Otis deserves better than coming home to a large pile of lists to add).

I think the volume of EODs is starting to wind down a little, so I would be happy to fill in as maintainer of the EOY albums spreadsheet until Otis gets back. I've got a 10-day work break coming up starting Thursday, so I'll have time. (Rest assured, I will continue to add new EOD lists as well during this period.)

I admit to a selfish motive for volunteering - I'm starting to pay close attention to the EOY list as it takes firmer shape, and I don't want to have to wait two weeks for another update. One question, Henrik: I notice that you're still using the "list number + 30" figure for row 3 on the EOY sheet despite changing that for the EOD. Is that because there's only one year's worth of albums to weigh on the EOY?

Harold Wexler
I think the volume of EODs is starting to wind down a little, so I would be happy to fill in as maintainer of the EOY albums spreadsheet until Otis gets back.

One question, Henrik: I notice that you're still using the "list number + 30" figure for row 3 on the EOY sheet despite changing that for the EOD. Is that because there's only one year's worth of albums to weigh on the EOY?
Harold, you're taking on a lot of work! I did not expect you to take this too, but I am very grateful.

About the +30 formula, I still think that it works fine for EOY lists. The idea is that the 100th album on an EOY list probably isn't "great" according to those critics and therefore the outside position should only be a little bit higher (130). Being a 100th album on an EOD list is another thing, and I came up with a new formula where the difference to the albums outside the list is >30.

Updated with MSN.com, OneThirtyBPM, Cokemachineglow, OOR, Rolling Stone (Germany), indiepoprock.net and Playground. A flying start for Harold!

Rumore and fluctuat.net

Updated with Absolute Punk, Blurt and Quart. Thanks Harold!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Updated with Lost at Sea, Silent Ballet, Gorilla vs. Bear, State, Chronicart, WAN2, Super 45 and Rolling Stone Argentina. Many thanks, Harold!

Why are Lady Gaga's The Fame and The Fame Monster grouped together?

Anonymous
Why are Lady Gaga's The Fame and The Fame Monster grouped together?

That was a judgment call on my part, based on the fact that MONSTER contains the original album in its entirety plus 8 new songs. If enough lists make a point of specifying the original THE FAME, I suppose Otis or I could/should separate the two.

As far as I know, the combined album is only a limited edition.

The list from the Myspace staff has been added.

Updated with Under the Radar. Thanks Harold!

Sputnikmusic and Albums des Blogeurs added too.

As we leave 2009 behind, here are the current EOY top 50 albums:

1 Animal Collective Merriweather Post Pavillion
2 Grizzly Bear Veckatimest
3 The xx xx
4 Phoenix Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
5 Dirty Projectors Bitte Orca
6 Yeah Yeah Yeahs It's Blitz!
7 Fever Ray Fever Ray
8 Fuck Buttons Tarot Sport
9 The Horrors Primary Colours
10 The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart
11 Girls Album
12 Flaming Lips Embryonic
13 Bat For Lashes Two Suns
14 Wild Beasts Two Dancers
15 Wilco Wilco (The Album)
16 Bill Callahan Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle
17 St. Vincent Actor
18 The Antlers Hospice
19 Passion Pit Manners
20 Florence + The Machine Lungs
21 Raekwon Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... Pt II
22 Neko Case Middle Cyclone
23 Antony & The Johnsons The Crying Light
24 Mos Def The Ecstatic
25 Mastodon Crack The Skye
26 Manic Street Preachers Journal For Plague Lovers
27 Sonic Youth The Eternal
28 Atlas Sound Logos
29 Arctic Monkeys Humbug
30 Camera Obscura My Maudlin Career
31 Japandroids Post-Nothing
32 Sunn 0))) Monoliths And Dimensions
33 La Roux La Roux
34 The Big Pink A Brief History Of Love
35 Richard Hawley Truelove's Gutter
36 Jay-Z The Blueprint 3
37 HEALTH Get Color
38 Micachu and The Shapes Jewellery
39 Future Of The Left Travels With Myself And Another
40 Yo La Tengo Popular Songs
41 Doves Kingdom Of Rust
42 The Avett Brothers I And Love And You
43 Monsters of Folk Monsters of Folk
44 Metric Fantasies
45 The Dead Weather Horehound
46 Kasabian West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum
47 The Decemberists The Hazards Of Love
48 Jim O’Rourke The Visitor
49 Jamie T Kings & Queens
50 White Denim Fits

Henrik
Sputnikmusic and Albums des Blogeurs added too.

Sorry Henrik, the exact name of the list is "TOP albums de bloggeurs 2009".
Thanks for your jobs.

Digg and Mondosonoro.

The last update from Harold includes Village Voice (jazz), fRoots and Zundfunk. Thousand thanks Harold!

Updated with Rockdelux and El Periódico.

Thanks and welcome back, otisredding!

Delusions of Adequacy and Heineken.

Thanks Otisredding!

Gorilla vs. Bear has been removed since the list was by one writer. Thanks Stephan for checking this!

Henrik, I'm sure you and Otis are already aware of this, but it's looking like you're going to need to add more columns to the EOY albums spreadsheet. The U.S. section is almost full with Pazz & Jop still to come, and the four new European lists actually will exhaust all the available "Rest of the World" columns.

Another great update from Otisredding. This time Magnet, No Ripcord, Ondarock, Rockerilla, Screenagers, Dagensskiva, Blitz, Plattentests and goutemesdisques have been included.

Edit: The Alexa stats for goutemesdisques does not meet the eligibility criteria, so I will remove it.

BBC and Record Collector were added this time.

Update with the Eye Weekly cross-Canadian poll, Alias/Il Manifesto, Terrorizer, Gaffa and Popnews. Thanks Otisredding!

Henrik, the post above indicates an update but I'm not seeing the new lists on the spreadsheet. I notice you've alphabetized all the lists for each individual country, but the most recently posted EOY lists aren't there.

Something apparently went wrong. I think it has been fixed now.

I'm afraid they still seem to be missing.

Really? They show up when I click on the link in the initial post of this thread.

Weird, when I ctrl+f any one of the latest additions it comes up with nothing either.

I'm seeing them now. I checked both the thread link and the one on the homepage.

Merriweather Post Pavillion is now at 430, exactly 100 points higher than Portishead's Third, last year's most acclaimed album. I was wonder if anyone can tell me when the last time an album dominated end of year lists like this? Elephant? Is This It? OK Computer? Just curious of course.

Judging by the distance between #1 and #2, it'd probably be Illinois or Return to cookie mountain (which was originally in the top 100 after it's year end score).

That said, MPP's performance on decade end lists has been relatively weak for an album that was such a monster on year end lists. I predict MPP landing around 185 on the all time list...better decade end ratings and it would've been pushing top 100.

Jonathon
That said, MPP's performance on decade end lists has been relatively weak for an album that was such a monster on year end lists. I predict MPP landing around 185 on the all time list...better decade end ratings and it would've been pushing top 100.

Well, as has been said here before, you have to keep in mind that MPP was released in the FINAL year of the decade, and despite its instant-classic status that doesn't provide much chance to stand the test of time. I'd say under the circumstances that a top 20 EOD ranking (I have little doubt that once the Treble list is fully unveiled MPP will move back up) for a 2009 album is pretty damn good.

True. I mean The Soft Bulletin is only 20 of the 90s, and that's a fantastic album.

I'm excited for the next site update, even if it is probably nine or ten months away. It will really close the door on last decade, having all the decade end lists and 2009 lists accounted for.

Yeah. Well I do believe that MPP will stand the test of time. I mean it just came out. So I can understand why it doesn't do so great on the EOD spreadsheet.

Well, 20 of the decade is far from a bad rating.

It's easy to forget that Acclaimedmusic deals almost exclusively in classics. Being in the top 200, or even top 1000, is a huge feather in the cap of an artist.

Updated with Time Magazine, Village Voice (Pazz & Jop), Storia Della Musica and Porcys. Thanks Otisredding!

The list is starting to become firmly set in stone - even with the addition of four new lists, the top 18 albums haven't changed positions at all. And even though Middle Cyclone achieved an unexpected #3 ranking on Pazz & Jop, it actually -loses- a bit of ground to Crack the Skye (which made two of these four lists). The most impressive movers in recent days have been Farm and, especially, Axe to Fall, which have both leapt from outside the top 50 to within the top 40.

Impressive consistency at the top of the leaderboard with the EOD spreadsheet - the five 2009 albums in the current EOD top 200 are the top five here as well, albeit in slightly different order (#'s 3 and 5 are reversed).

Updated with Music Australia Guide, Intro, Go-Mag and Scanner FM. Thanks Otisredding!

Lists from Soundi and RockZone have been added. Thanks to Harold who added these lists into the spreadsheet.