The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Report errors here - new thread for 11/09 update

Henrik, I thought you might want to start a new sticky thread for corrections/errors now that the update has been posted.

I'm almost positive that the Monk album (THELONIOUS MONK TRIO) at #2034 is actually this one:
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:hvfwxq9gld0e The one pictured on the album page is a quintet album simply titled THELONIOUS MONK.

Re: Report errors here - new thread for 11/09 update

Thanks for starting this thread, Harold. And of course you're right about the Monk image.

Hervé Bourhis (France) - 555 Records (2007) list contains Wilco's Being There and Summerteeth, however neither album gets no credit for that list.

Jonathon
Hervé Bourhis (France) - 555 Records (2007) list contains Wilco's Being There and Summerteeth, however neither album gets no credit for that list.
Aaargh! Somehow I forgot Summerteeth. But Being There? I don't see it.

errr my bad...I was looking at two lists at once...no sleep last night...kind of groggy.

It can wait until next year; I'm sure it won't bump it up too far.

The the top of the page, when it randomly says what album is the top of that year, is has not been updated. 1998 shows Lauryn Hill, 2004 shows Franz Ferdinand, 1958 shows Porgy and Bess. There are probably a few others if the top albums for each year changed.

I don't know which is the bigger worry - the fact that Kylie Minogue is the 8th most acclaimed act from Australia,or the fact that 'The Original Soundtrack' is #3...

Hi Henrik, NTM=Supreme NTM in the FNAC list! Thus they have: Paris sous les bombes at n° 116
Supreme NTM at n° 195
1993 J'appuie sur la gachette at n° 279
Authentik at n° 664
Hope that helps bro!

Hello, mr. Henrik. I'm a casual visitor of this great site and I've seen some errors after your update:

- In the page for "The Band", Before the Flood is present twice

- The Young Rascals' page is no longer accessible at the letter Y.

- I believe the official name of the french hip-hop band "NTM" is "Suprême NTM", although the former is commonly used

- Dury, Ian & Dury & the Blockheads, Ian share the same name (Dury, Ian) at letter D

- Shugo Tokumaru's page is named "Shogu Tokumaru"

Thanks for all your work.

S7

The Young Rascals became The Rascals, so all information on their singles is on The Rascals' page under "R."

I don't know this band that well, and was unaware about the change in their name. Sorry for that.

VanillaFire1000
The the top of the page, when it randomly says what album is the top of that year, is has not been updated. 1998 shows Lauryn Hill, 2004 shows Franz Ferdinand, 1958 shows Porgy and Bess. There are probably a few others if the top albums for each year changed.
I can't find the program that generated these. I might do some manual changes so that the correct number one albums are shown, but I don't see it as highest priority.

S7
Hello, mr. Henrik. I'm a casual visitor of this great site and I've seen some errors after your update:

- In the page for "The Band", Before the Flood is present twice

- I believe the official name of the french hip-hop band "NTM" is "Suprême NTM", although the former is commonly used

- Dury, Ian & Dury & the Blockheads, Ian share the same name (Dury, Ian) at letter D

- Shugo Tokumaru's page is named "Shogu Tokumaru"

Thanks for all your work.
I will look into these errors as soon as I have time. Obviously my knowledge about Suprême NTM is not what it should be...

the GZAGenius link doesn't work.

Hello Henrik and thanks for all this wonderful job you do.
I noticed in the Hervé Bourhis list few artist don't appears in acclaimed music (Brassens, Vian, etc).
I just want to know if you use his list only when the name of the artist was in the Acclaimed site or not ?
Do you want I list all the artist I found on the list and I don't found in Acclaimed Music ?

Henrik
Jonathon
Aaargh! Somehow I forgot Summerteeth. But Being There? I don't see it.

I dont see Being there !

Re-Hello Mr. Henrik!
I've found two more oddities, not really errors, but anyway:

- at letter C, there are both Collins, Shirley and Collins, Shirley & Davy Graham. If I understand how your classification is done, the second shouldn't exist, correct me if I'm wrong ?
- the album "Irish Heartbeat" does not appear in the Chieftains' page, although it appears in Van Morrison's page

@ Romain: I simply think Brassens and the others don't get enough points overall with any of their albums to appear on the site.

Being There wasn't there! It was my bad. Just Summerteeth! (Which I'm hoping will go up at least a few spots.)

S7
Re-Hello Mr. Henrik!

@ Romain: I simply think Brassens and the others don't get enough points overall with any of their albums to appear on the site.

It's the question ! I wonder if all the artist who appears in any list integrated in AM have her name in the Artist Lists, even if they are not in the 3000 ?
I always curious to discover new music of the world.

No, Romain. The only artists who have their name in AM are:
- the ones who have albums or songs in either top 3000;
- the ones who have albums or songs "bubbling under" either top 3000.

But a number of lists can be freely seen in the section "Critics lists" at the top of the screen. However, you would surprise me if you tell me you already listened to every albums and songs on AM...

S7
No, Romain. The only artists who have their name in AM are:
- the ones who have albums or songs in either top 3000;
- the ones who have albums or songs "bubbling under" either top 3000.

But a number of lists can be freely seen in the section "Critics lists" at the top of the screen. However, you would surprise me if you tell me you already listened to every albums and songs on AM...

*Thanks !
And no, of course, I don't alread listened the major part of the album here !

There are some minor things on the site I've noticed, but they're more website issues than list issues.

When I click on artist lists, and go down to click on a letter, when I put my mouse over the 'Q' it becomes bold. Which causes it to be pushed onto the next line. However, when it's on the next line, it's no longer bold, and gets pushed back to the first line, where it once again becomes bold. This causes the Q to rapidly flash between the first line and the second, making it very difficult to click.

Also there's still the issue with non-standard alphanumeric characters. Any letter with an accent, an umlaut, a curvy thing over the n, or anything like that appears as a '?' inside a solid diamond.

BillAdama
There are some minor things on the site I've noticed, but they're more website issues than list issues.

When I click on artist lists, and go down to click on a letter, when I put my mouse over the 'Q' it becomes bold. Which causes it to be pushed onto the next line. However, when it's on the next line, it's no longer bold, and gets pushed back to the first line, where it once again becomes bold. This causes the Q to rapidly flash between the first line and the second, making it very difficult to click.

Also there's still the issue with non-standard alphanumeric characters. Any letter with an accent, an umlaut, a curvy thing over the n, or anything like that appears as a '?' inside a solid diamond.
I regret that I started the bold hold-over links, I will change it back in a future update. Regarding the non-standard alphanumeric characters, see this thread.

BillAdama

This was already the case for quite some time, it happens when the word that gets bolded makes it too long that it has to go over to the next line. I don't think there's more than a few of these instances though.

I saw under Public Image LTDs page some of the genres repeat.

Also the Wilco error is still holding my beloved Summerteeth at 593 :-(.

Hello,
I saw on the : "Top artists from Australia" in the third place : "The original soundtrack" (with West Side Story, the Sound of Music, etc).

I don't know where put soundtracks but here it's strange ?

EDIT : I understand, it's because Saturday Night Fever is in the first place...and I don't know it's an Australian Group.

Romain
Hello,
I saw on the : "Top artists from Australia" in the third place : "The original soundtrack" (with West Side Story, the Sound of Music, etc).

I don't know where put soundtracks but here it's strange ?

EDIT : I understand, it's because Saturday Night Fever is in the first place...and I don't know it's an Australian Group.
The Original Soundtrack should of course not be in that list. I forgot to make that change!

Jonathon
I saw under Public Image LTDs page some of the genres repeat.

Also the Wilco error is still holding my beloved Summerteeth at 593 :-(.
Some of the algorithms include information from the last run, so if I rerun the calculations it would change a lot of positions for other albums as well. And I don't want that, so sorry, but no positions for albums will change until the next update.

Fair enough.

Btw, I caught some more genre repeats under Dizee Rascal. It says Garage 3-4 times.

Will sift through the pages for genre repeats.

Jonathon
Fair enough.

Btw, I caught some more genre repeats under Dizee Rascal. It says Garage 3-4 times.

Will sift through the pages for genre repeats.

Laura Nyro is also having the same problem, Pop repeated 3 times and Soft Rock twice.

Seems to be the case for a lot of albums (around 75% of the ones I checked). The actual links are also broken, as far as I can tell all of them (including the pages that don't have double genres).

OK, I will look into the music style error. No more search needed.

First off, awesome job Henrik on the update!

I’m not 100% sure on any of these and I’m sure some of them have been discussed before, but thought I’d throw them out there just in case.

ALBUMS
Tom Zé does not appear in the alphabetical lists of artists (should be under Z).
In “England’s Newest Hit Makers”, “Hit Makers” should be two words.
“We Are Devo!” should have an exclamation point.
Ampersands should be used in the titles of “Power, Corruption & Lies” and “Crosby, Stills & Nash”.
“Exile on Main St.” should have a period.
In three albums the line break tag, "< BR >", appears in Excel for two line titles: “Five Live Yardbirds”, “Lifted or the Story...”, “Small Faces”.

Ellipses:
All of the ellipses become strange symbols in excel.
Strange spacing on: “Your Funeral... My Trial”, though I admit I’m fuzzy on rules concerning ellipses.
Only two dots, instead of three, on “Where There’s Smoke...”.

Accents:
Missing accent in Chic’s “Risqué”.
Incorrect accent in “Willie Colón & Rubén Blades”.
Missing accent on “Diabaté” on “New Ancient Strings”.
“Milton Nascimento & Lô Borges” should have circumflex on o.

SONGS
“1983... (A Merman I Should Turn to Be)” should contain an ellipsis.
“Life on Mars?” should have a question mark.
“Cyprus Avenue” by Van Morrison improperly spelled.
“Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey” does not include the word “for”.
“Voodoo Child (Slight Return)”, not “Chile”.
“Street Fighting Man” does not contain an abbreviation, while “Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'” contains two.
“After the Gold Rush”, two words.
“She Bangs the Drums”, plural.

Wow, thanks JPM4!

JPM4, I have made all changes except two in my source document. The ones that I have kept are "Where There's Smoke.." and "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)". Some of these changes might not show up until the next site update though. Thanks again!

The Arcade Fire song list is out of order. "Neighborhood #2 (Laika)" was released as a single before "Rebellion (Lies)", and "Intervention" was released between "Keep the Car Running" and "No Cars Go".

Also, another hairsplitter, but since Wilco's "Jesus, Etc" was a promo single with a music video, and "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" wasn't, shouldn't "Jesus, Etc" be listed first in the single> album track format?

I have some few errors:

- Jacques Brel's Olympia album is the 1962 one, but there are actually two Olympia albums: 1962 and 1964, and if I remember well, the 1001 albums' one is the 1964 recording.
- Suprême NTM are listed as NTM in France list.
- Aphrodite's Child are greek.

A bit of nitpicking here. "Godspeed You Black Emperor!" is nowadays called "Godspeed You! Black Emperor" and their debut album has sharp signs, not number signs; so F♯A♯∞. In html, for your convenience:

Code:
F&#9839;A&#9839;&#8734;

Another small thing I just found; all the albums and songs for Kraftwerk are listed with their German name (as they should) except for "The Robots", which should be "Die Roboter".

It's "Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)", not "Hand" (concerning the 1966 Beach Boys song from "Pet Sounds", which is currently bubbling under).

Editors- Smokers Outside the Hospital Door is spelled incorrectly.

Also, given our precident of putting songs years based on their earliest release (Album or Single) Blink 182's All The Small Things should probably be under 1999, even though it wasn't released as a single until 2000.

I was just wondering if we could sort out the issue of which version of Rolling Stone's Best Albums of the 80s list. With Prince's 1999 being the main prize, I hope the US version can be included instead of the Aussie one.

Not an error, per se, but something that should be changed in the next update: Santogold is now Santigold. Santi White altered the spelling of her nom de pop last year after it turned out some other dude had been performing (obscurely) under the name Santo Gold. Her debut album was actually reissued to reflect the name change.

Seems like the only things I can find are nitpicky, maybe we're nearing perfecting. Anyway, Thelonious Monk's only song is listed as "Round Midnight" and it should be "'Round Midnight", with an apostrophe.

I think that "The Modern Lovers" have gone missing from the artist page for the letter 'M'.

Nah, they're under R, for Richman, Jonathan/The Modern Lovers. Maybe adding a link to the same page under M would be good though.

You give "Everybody is A Star" by Sly and the Family Stone credit for being on Rolling Stone magazine's 500 greatest songs of all time. The song is not on that list.

listyguy
You give "Everybody is A Star" by Sly and the Family Stone credit for being on Rolling Stone magazine's 500 greatest songs of all time. The song is not on that list.

This looks like a remnant of the old AM Singles list. Before it became the Songs list a few years ago, Henrik only included actual released singles - and A and B sides shared rankings. "Everybody is a Star" was the B-side of "Thank You Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin," which IS #402 on the RS top 500 list. If the RS list is still figuring into "Everybody is a Star"'s rank at Acclaimed Music, that needs to be cleaned up. Now I'm curious about whether there are other instances of this in the database.

Harold Wexler
listyguy

This looks like a remnant of the old AM Singles list. Before it became the Songs list a few years ago, Henrik only included actual released singles - and A and B sides shared rankings. "Everybody is a Star" was the B-side of "Thank You Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin," which IS #402 on the RS top 500 list. If the RS list is still figuring into "Everybody is a Star"'s rank at Acclaimed Music, that needs to be cleaned up. Now I'm curious about whether there are other instances of this in the database.

So this used to be a greatest singles list not a greatest songs list?

The 1983 song by Grandmaster Flash & Melle Mel, currently at #309 on the all-time list, is called "White Lines (Don't Don't Do It)" with two Don't's.

Yo have to wrong cover for the American release of the U2 album "Boy". This is the right cover:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:U2_Boy_America.png

It should be "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay" rather than "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay"

Allmusic has changed their rating for Black Sabbath: Vol. 4 from 4.5 to 5 stars http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=BLACK|SABBATH&sql=11:gifoxqw5ldse~T2

Jackson C Frank (both the artist and the album) should be changed to Jackson C. Frank (not that it really matters, but it would definitely look better).

The Five Stairsteps' 1970 hit is called "O-o-h Child", not "Ooh-Ooh-Child".

I'm almost certain LaBelle and Patti LaBelle are the same artist. In fact, the song "Lady Marmalade" listed under Patti Labelle, comes of the album "Nightbirds" listed under LaBelle.
Perhaps you could list the artist as (Patti) LaBelle or LaBelle(,Patti).

The doo-wop band that did "The Closer You Are" should be called "The Channels", not just "Channels".

The 1960s girl group that did "Sally, Go 'Round the Roses" (artist rank #1310) should be called "The Jaynetts", not "The Jaynettes".

Tina Brooks's BACK TO THE TRACKS, although recorded in 1960, went unreleased (Blue Note strikes again!) until 1985, and it should be included in that year's Bubbling Under album listings.

Jorge Ben's "Africa Brasil" is spelled with a "z" in "Brasil" on AM, and it's normally a "s".

Blunmfeld's 2006 album (currently bubbling under) should be called "Verbotene Früchte" with an "ü", not a "u".

Hot Hot Heat's Make Up The Breakdown was #20 (of 50) on Pitchfork's EOY list for 2002.

Thelonious is misspelled in "The Thelonious Monk Orchestra at Town Hall" (currently all-time #2167 album).

You left out the 'n' in the sly and the family stone song ranked 304, "Thank You (Falletinme be Mice Elf Again)"

Listyguy
You left out the 'n' in the sly and the family stone song ranked 304, "Thank You (Falletinme be Mice Elf Again)"

Also, the last word in the title should be spelled "Agin."

Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne" appears under 1968, even though it was first released on "Songs of Leonard Cohen" in December 1967.

EDIT: Same goes for "Winter Lady" and "So Long, Marianne".

For What It's Worth was released in 1966

"Helena" by My Chemical Romance was first released in 2004 on the album "Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge".

The band "Archie Bronson Outfit" is not named after someone, therefore it belongs to letter A.

"Comets on Fire" page's is down.

Pierre
"Comets on Fire" page's is down.
Fixed.

"Gee Whiz" by Carla Thomas is listed in the "Bubbling Under" section for 1964. The song came out in 1961 as noted by the Dave Marsh list to which you link.

Patsy Cline's "Crazy" came out in 1961, not 1960. It was released as a single in the fall of 1961.

"Love and Happiness" by Al Green should be listed in 1972, not 1973. It was an LP cut off of the I'm Still in Love With You album. It was later released as a single, but not until 1977.

Should "See Me, Feel Me" not be in 1969 with the other songs from Tommy? Or is it in 1970 because it was edited so dramatically for radio.

"Joy to the World" should be 1970, not 1971. It was the second single off Naturally, which was released in the fall of 1970.

I think "Rock Island Line" might be 1955.

As you probably know there was no song called "See Me, Feel Me" on Tommy but it was part of "We're Not Gonna Take It". The "See Me, Feel Me" section was released as a single in 1970 to cash in on the success of that song at Woodstock, so I don't think that should be changed.

Stephan
As you probably know there was no song called "See Me, Feel Me" on Tommy but it was part of "We're Not Gonna Take It". The "See Me, Feel Me" section was released as a single in 1970 to cash in on the success of that song at Woodstock, so I don't think that should be changed.

I've always been curious about this, as I've never heard the single version. I'm presuming that the single edit begins with the "See me, feel me" part - omitting the entire "We're Not Gonna Take It" opening - and then continues all the way through the "Listening to you..." coda. Is that correct?

I'm putting in my $0.02 for changing the listing on AM to "We're Not Gonna Take It." It's not a Singles list anymore, it's a SONGS list, and there's no such song as "See Me, Feel Me" except for that edited single.

Harold Wexler,

You are right about the how song is edited. Here is a link to the single version on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbxxuasmSpA

"Pretty Little Angel Eyes" is bubbling under in 1957. That song came out in 1961 according to all sources. I wonder if someone confused it with Thurston Harris' "Little Bitty Pretty One," which did come out in 1957.

Wabash Cannonball should be in 1938, not 1947. It charted at the end of 1938 according to Joel Whitburn's Pop Memories.

From the above source as well as wikipedia, "Don't Fence Me" in was recorded and released in 1944, not 1943.

Wikipedia says that "This Land is Your Land" was recorded in 1944. I don't have any other sources on that song, however.

And sorry for all the posts. I am creating a playlist for the AM Tpp 300 and have been comparing my info with that on the website.

The Desmond Dekker song currently at #189 on the all-time list is just called "Israelites", not "The Israelites", and was released in 1968, not in 1969.

"The Five Royales"' name should be changed to "The "5" Royales", and they should appear under "#", not under "F". Both "Dedicated to the One I Love" and "Think", which you have as released by "The Five Royales", were actually released as "The "5" Royales".

I noticed something a few months ago when I was trying to make a spreadsheet combining Acclaimed Music ranks and Rate Your Music ranks, and noticed that Thelonious Monk's "Genius of Modern Music" albums are considered compilation albums on Rate Your Music and Wikipedia, but All Music Guide lists it as a regular studio album.

How do you determine which albums are eligible for the Top 3000, especially earlier albums where it was very common for recording artists to release primarily singles that were compiled years later into one album? (like Miles Davis' Birth of the Cool) versus similarly-themed rock albums of singles-only tracks? (The Beatles' "Past Masters," etc.)

"The Right Stuff" by New Kids on the Block should be listed in 1988, not 1989. It was on the Hangin' Tough album, which was released in the fall of 1988.

"Straighten Up and Fly Right" should be in 1944, not 1947. It charted in 1944.

"See You Later, Alligator" should be 1956.

"Time in a Bottle" should be 1972 (it was a single in 1973, but it was on a 1972 LP).

"Wind Beneath My Wings" should be 1988, not 1989 (single was 1989, Beaches soundtrak was 1988).

"Living in America" should be 1985, not 1986.

"Goin' Back to Cali" by LL Cool J should be listed under 1987. It originally appeared on the soundtrack for Less than Zero (which was compiled by Rick Rubin), which came out in the fall of 1987.

Great findings, Stone!

Daniel, I try to stick to a rule that compilations are allowed if they consist of fairly recent material (i.e. recorded within the last 2-3 years) that's only been released on singles or EP's.

Thanks, Henrik.

"All the Small Things" should be in 1999. It was the second single from Enema of the State (1999).

Joy Division's "Digital" was first released in 1978, on the "A Factory Sample" compilation EP, not on 1981's "Still."

"Not if You Were the Last Junkie on Earth" should be listed under 1997; it was off of the Dandy Warhols Come Down LP from the summer of 1997.

William Bell's "You Don't Miss Your Water" was originally released in 1961 (see soulfulkindamusic.net or Wikipedia). 1962 is the charting date.

Snoop Dogg's "Signs" should be in 2004 (LP was released in the fall), not 2005.

Listyguy
I'm almost certain LaBelle and Patti LaBelle are the same artist. In fact, the song "Lady Marmalade" listed under Patti Labelle, comes of the album "Nightbirds" listed under LaBelle.
Perhaps you could list the artist as (Patti) LaBelle or LaBelle(,Patti).
Patti LaBelle and Labelle are not the same artist. Labelle is the name of the band Patti LaBelle was in, before she started a solo career. Yet both "Nightbirds" and "Lady Marmalade" are releases by Labelle, not solo releases by Patti LaBelle. Also note that it's Labelle but Patti LaBelle, so it's exactly the other way round than you currently have it.

I just discovered that wikipedia says the song "White Lines (Don't Do It)" is actually titled "White Lines (Don't Don't Do It)" and that it is only attributed to Melle Mel. Grandmaster Flash is credited in working on the song, but it's a lie from Sugarhill Records to trick 1983 people in believing so, since he was the most popular of all the guys from the label at the time. Well, I have not looked anywhere else, but this is what wiki says.

Also, "Dead or Alive" page is down.

Roberta Flack's "First Time I Ever Saw Your Face" should be in 1969. It was on her debut album; it became a huge hit in 1972 after being featured in a Clint Eastwood movie.

"Superwoman" and "Straight Up" should be in 1988 (year of album release).

For the same reason, "Mercedes Boy" should be in 1987.

This is more of curriosity than an error:
"Fuck tha Police" is listed as "F*** tha Police", but "Fuck and Run" and "Fuck Forever" are not.

The House Of Love's selftitled 1988 album and their selftitled 1990 album both appear on this list: http://disques.de.l.annee.free.fr/inrocks.html#best100

The 1988 one currently has the ranking of the 1990 one and vice versa though on this website.

1988 (on the list at 90, on this site at 58):
http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/Current/A1536.htm

1990 (on the list at 58, on this site at 90):
http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/Current/A3316.htm

Ravi Shankar's album "The Sounds of India" was first released in 1958 as WL 119 on Columbia. The first reissue is from 1968.

"Takin' Care of Business" should be in 1973 (LP release).

"Reunited" should be in 1978 (LP release).

David Bowie's Heroe's should have quotes around it, so it would be "Heroes".
You have Joni Mitchell listed as Canda's third best artist, but she should be number 2, because she is ranked 47 all time, whereas the Band (number "2" from Canada) are ranked 53.
Dead or Alive's page is not working.
Joan Jett's "I Love Rock'n'Roll" (#300) was from the 1981 album or the same name. It was then released as a single in 1982.

Leonard Cohen's original version of "Hallelujah" was first released in December 1984 on the Canadian version of "Various Positions", not in 1985.

1 2