Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bracketology: Round 1, Week 18

Same rules as last week; uncommented ballots will be counted.

WEEK 18

A little breakdown of this week's songs by decade...
1920s: 0
1930s: 0
1940s: 0
1950s: 4
1960s: 8
1970s: 8
1980s: 8
1990s: 3
2000s: 1

Also of note:
Two brackets from the Bach bloc
Two songs by the Supremes

Here are this week's brackets. Remember, you can also view the brackets on this site. Voting is now open, and you have until 11:59 PM Pacific time on this upcoming Saturday to vote. Vote either in this thread or e-mail me.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 10
#212: "The Twist" - Chubby Checker [1960]
#301: "With or Without You" - U2 [1987]
#724: "Friends in Low Places" - Garth Brooks [1990]
#813: "Walk, Don't Run" - The Ventures [1960]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 1
#2: "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" - The Rolling Stones [1965]
#511: "Jump Around" - House of Pain [1992]
#514: "Welcome to the Jungle" - Guns n' Roses [1987]
#1023: "I Want You" - Bob Dylan [1966]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 16
#98: "Stayin' Alive" - Bee Gees [1977]
#415: "You Can't Hurry Love" - The Supremes [1966]
#610: "Radio Radio" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions [1978]
#927: "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" - Steely Dan [1974]

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 3
#142: "Stop! In the Name of Love" - The Supremes [1965]
#371: "Earth Angel" - The Penguins [1954]
#654: "In the Ghetto" - Elvis Presley [1969]
#883: "We've Only Just Begun" - The Carpenters [1970]

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 3
#143: "Bye Bye Love" - The Everly Brothers [1958]
#370: "Fuck tha Police" - N.W.A. [1988]
#655: "I Got a Woman" - Ray Charles [1954]
#882: "Free Man in Paris" - Joni Mitchell [1974]

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 16
#99: "For What It's Worth" - Buffalo Springfield [1966]
#414: "Cars" - Gary Numan [1979]
#611: "Transmission" - Joy Division [1980]
#926: "Rebel Rebel" - David Bowie [1974]

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 14
#231: "Young Folks" - Peter Bjorn and John (Featuring Victoria Bergsman) [2006]
#282: "(I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man" - Muddy Waters [1954]
#743: "Funkytown" - Lipps, Inc. [1980]
#794: "Down by the Water" - PJ Harvey [1995]

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 6
#203: "All the Young Dudes" - Mott the Hoople [1972]
#310: "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" - R.E.M. [1987]
#715: "I Feel for You" - Chaka Khan [1984]
#822: "Geno" - Dexys Midnight Runners [1980]

Re: Bracketology: Round 1, Week 18

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "With or Without You" - U2 [1987]
It pains me so much to put U2 in the top spot here, but the other three songs just aren't as good. And though I hate U2, I can't deny that this is a really good song. Not my favorite U2 song (that title goes to "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"), but strong enough to reign supreme in this weak bracket.
2. "Friends in Low Places" - Garth Brooks [1990]
I hate the fact that I like this song. This is turning into the bracket of guilty pleasures for me. Yeah, it's cheesy country from the early '90s, but if you put me in some little shitkicker bar and feed me a bunch of beer, I will be shouting the chorus to this song at the top of my lungs. Let the razzing begin.
3. "The Twist" - Chubby Checker [1960]
Yeah, it kicked off the whole dance craze, and it's the only song to hit #1 on the U.S. charts on two separate occasions (I think), but is it really that great a song? I don't think so.
4. "Walk, Don't Run" - The Ventures [1960]
Hmm... a surf instrumental. It's nice to listen to, and I've heard it enough times for this lifetime, but like "The Twist," is it really that great a song? I don't think so.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 1
1. "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" - The Rolling Stones [1965]
What can you say about a song that is this legendary? I'll wait until Round 2, then I'll make my real comments. Until then, easy pick for #1.
2. "Jump Around" - House of Pain [1992]
One of the few songs to which I know all the words. A hell of a lot of fun, and an easy five-star for me, but there's no way in hell this is better than "Satisfaction."
3. "I Want You" - Bob Dylan [1966]
"Blonde on Blonde" is one of those albums that I know I need to listen to all the way through, but every time I get to about "Temporary Like Achilles," I just get worn out and have to put on something else. Something that isn't Dylan. Still, from what I've heard of that album, it's fantastic stuff (not too crazy about the first two tracks, but everything else is excellent).
In spite of the album's greatness, this is maybe my sixth- or seventh-favorite track from it. Give me the song that immediately precedes this one or the one that immediately follows it.
4. "Welcome to the Jungle" - Guns n' Roses [1987]
I'm not a fan of GnR, but I'll admit that this one isn't half bad. And damn it all if I don't use that opening line ("Welcome to the jungle, we've got fun and games") at least twice a week in my everyday life.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Stayin' Alive" - Bee Gees [1977]
I debated for a long time as to which song I was going to put in the #1 spot, and I finally had to go with this one. Yes, it's cheesy disco. Yes, it's been used more times than any song maybe should. And yes, you're supposed to think of this song when you give CPR. But damn it all if it isn't still a damn good song. Besides, I can't think of this song anymore and not think of the disco scene in "Airplane!"
2. "Radio Radio" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions [1978]
I'm sorry ladies and gentlemen, there's no reason to be putting this song at #1 here.
Seriously though, I really wish that Elvis didn't keep coming up against difficult competition because I'd love to see him get into the second round. Right now though, I'd rather listen to "Stayin' Alive."
3. "You Can't Hurry Love" - The Supremes [1966]
Great opening bass line, and this one highlights the Supremes at a time when they could do no wrong. This is just a killer bracket.
4. "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" - Steely Dan [1974]
I'm a Dan fan, but they have so many other, better songs. Even off of "Pretzel Logic." It's just a little too soft. Still, in a bracket like this, SHTB4.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "We've Only Just Begun" - The Carpenters [1970]
One bracket after I rag on Steely Dan for being "too soft," I put this song, arguably one of the softest in pop music history, in the top spot. Hypocrisy, thy name is Schroeder. Still, this song is so beautiful. When Richard finally comes in with "And yes, we've just begun," it actually does start to rock a little bit. Well, as much as the Carpenters could ever rock. I'll let someone else mention the bank ad.
2. "Stop! In the Name of Love" - The Supremes [1965]
Like "You Can't Hurry Love" in the above bracket, this was the Supremes at a time when they could do no wrong. Frankly, I'd rather listen to the Carpenters over this one.
3. "Earth Angel" - The Penguins [1954]
Pleasant doo-wop, but not anything that I could get excited about.
4. "In the Ghetto" - Elvis Presley [1969]
Boo. Fuck the King.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Free Man in Paris" - Joni Mitchell [1974]
What can I say? I'm a big Joni fan, and this is one of my favorites of hers. It's a really beautiful and pleasant song, until you realize that the whole thing is about David Geffen, and it's not the most positive portrait of him. For an even jazzier version of this song, check this out. And check out who her backing musicians were... Just try to ignore Jaco's pants.
2. "Fuck tha Police" - N.W.A. [1988]
Talk about a prophetic song. Just a couple years after N.W.A. comes out with "Straight Outta Compton" (and this song in particular), tensions boiled over in L.A. and people started rioting. Sure, the Rodney King trial was obviously much more of a catalyst than this song, but it's not hard to draw a line between those events and this song. Amazingly brutal and eye-opening lyrics that have seldom been equalled in rap music.
3. "I Got a Woman" - Ray Charles [1954]
Is it bad that I prefer Kanye's "Gold Digger" over this one? Blasphemy, I'm sure. But frankly, I just don't like "I Got a Woman."
4. "Bye Bye Love" - The Everly Brothers [1958]
I just don't like the Everly Brothers. None of their songs. Nothing.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "For What It's Worth" - Buffalo Springfield [1966]
The quintessential anti-Vietnam protest song. Sure, it's been used countless times in just about every Vietnam War movie, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a fantastic song. Understated, simple, and devastatingly accurate in its lyrics. And just who DOESN'T know the chorus by now?
2. "Rebel Rebel" - David Bowie [1974]
It seems like every Bowie song has gotten a free pass into the second round, and I'm sure this one will too, but I just don't think it should. It's a good song, but hardly a great song. And it's definitely not better than "For What It's Worth."
3. "Cars" - Gary Numan [1979]
Oh God. If this song didn't have any lyrics, I would totally be putting this song ahead of Bowie. The synths are absolutely amazing, especially in the second half of the song, but Numan's voice just kills any kind of enjoyment I have for this song. And the lyrics. Ugh.
4. "Transmission" - Joy Division [1980]
I know I need to get into Joy Division, but every time I put this song on, I just can't get excited about them. Give me "Atmosphere" or "Love Will Tear Us Apart" over this one any day.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 14
1. "(I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man" - Muddy Waters [1954]
Muddy is the fucking man. This is an easy #1 here. I can't find anything wrong with this one. Go Muddy go!
2. "Young Folks" - Peter Bjorn and John (Featuring Victoria Bergsman) [2006]
Who doesn't love a good whistle solo? Excellent little indie ditty, but the verses are a little weak. I think they could have used something on top of the bass and drums. Just a simple guitar. Nothing too much.
3. "Funkytown" - Lipps, Inc. [1980]
I refer all my comments to this video.
4. "Down by the Water" - PJ Harvey [1995]
Difficult bracket for me if this one goes to the 4 spot. I actually really like this song. Polly Jean is great at making the "I'm going to scare you into having sex with me" song, and though this one isn't better than "Rid of Me," it's pretty darn good.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 6
1. "All the Young Dudes" - Mott the Hoople [1972]
Okay Bowie fans, put this one into the second round. I won't quibble with you.
2. "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" - R.E.M. [1987]
If you can recite the lyrics to this song, then you're a better person than I. All I can ever remember are "Leonard Bernstein, Leonid Brezhnev, Lenny Bruce and Lester Bangs" and the chorus.
3. "I Feel for You" - Chaka Khan [1984]
I'm going to be very curious to see what Moonbeam's thoughts on this song are. So what about it, MB? Is this one better than Prince's original? I think so.
4. "Geno" - Dexys Midnight Runners [1980]
It's not "Come On Eileen," so I don't really care about it. I'd rather listen to the similar-sounding "Papa's Got a Brand New Pigbag" from the following year.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 10

1. U2- "With or Without You": Fabulous, heartfelt ballad. I know it's become a fad to hate U2 lately (much like The Doors), but I have unrelenting love for this song and many others in their canon.
2. The Ventures- "Walk, Don't Run": What a great guitar lick. I unknowingly was familiar with this song, and for good reason. It's really, really good.
3. Chubby Checker- "The Twist": A true "oldie", and one that I can't stand. Pass.
4. Garth Brooks- "Friends in Low Places": Now this is just offensive. Everything that I abhor about country music is present, from the awful overdone twang to the drunk singalong vocal delivery. One of Satan's most effective tools.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 1

1. Guns 'n Roses- "Welcome to the Jungle": "Paradise City" will always be my favorite from Appetite for Destruction, but it's hard to argue with any of the mega-singles from that album. Pure, awesome, loud fun.
2. House of Pain- "Jump Around": One of the most exciting singles of the 90s, in my opinion! It's a perfect title, as those screams and that funky loop are perfect for, well, jumping!
3. The Rolling Stones- "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction": Important? Absolutely. Classic? Definitely. Something I ever want to listen to? No.
4. Bob Dylan- "I Want You": I like this more than most Dylan songs, but I still can't place it above any of the others.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 16

1. Bee Gees- "Stayin' Alive": It's overrated a bit, but it's still a hell of a lot of fun. "Night Fever" is my favorite from Saturday Night Fever, but this probably deserves to be their most notorious song.
2. Elvis Costello & the Attractions- "Radio Radio": One of my least favorite songs from the This Year's Model era, but it still is great! I think the SNL performance garners it the acclaim it has, but I don't mind seeing it get a lot of love.
3. The Supremes- "You Can't Hurry Love": I must confess that I'm more familiar with the Phil Collins version. I'm not a big Supremes guy, but this is ok, I suppose.
4. Steely Dan- "Ricki Don't Lose That Number": I hadn't heard this before, but it struck me as quite boring.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 3

1. The Carpenters- "We've Only Just Begun": Karen Carpenter has such a lovely voice. That's enough to win this weak bracket.
2. The Supremes- "Stop! In the Name of Love": Classic Motown, but nowhere near the best Motown, in my book.
3. Elvis Presley- "In the Ghetto": The acoustic guitar lends the song some genuine tenderness. I should like this more than I do.
4. The Penguins- "Earth Angel": I can see why it might have gotten love at the time, but I just can't relate to or get into this at all.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 3

1. N.W.A.- "Fuck tha Police": Miliant rap when rap actually stood for something. It's got a nice funk curl, which is what elevates it to the top.
2. The Everly Brothers- "Bye Bye Love": Again, The Everlys were favorites of my mom and real benchmarks of my childhood. It's nowhere near as good as "All I Have to Do Is Dream", but this is still great for my nostalgia.
3. Ray Charles- "I Got a Woman": It's a nice soul song if you look past the gender stereotypes!
4. Joni Mitchell- "Free Man in Paris": Interesting chord sequence, but not much for me for me to get into.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 16: Absolutely brutal bracket! All of these songs would have won Vivaldi 3.

1. David Bowie- "Rebel, Rebel": Brilliant glam posturing with a guitar lick to trump all guitar licks. One of Bowie's finest moments of the 70s, and that is REALLY saying something.
2. Joy Division- "Transmission": Hyper-tense with every band member absolutely perfect- such nervous drumming, forebodingly effective bass and a jaggedly piercing guitar line form perfect backdrops for Ian Curtis to really let loose. This would have won every other bracket this week.
3. Gary Numan- "Cars": The Pleasure Principle has much better to offer, from the synth-glam of "Metal" to the funked out paranoia of "Films" to the disarming beauty of "Tracks" and the super sci-fi epic "M.E.". Nevertheless, "Cars" is still absurdly weird and enjoyable. It's a shame here, because it would have won most of the brackets.
4. Buffalo Springfield- "For What It's Worth": One of my favorite 60s songs, yet it has to be fourth in this incredibly tough bracket.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 14

1. Lipps, Inc.- "Funkytown": Did you know that the singer was also a saxophone player who was once a member of Prince's protege band The Time? Anyway, this combination of disco and toe-curling funk is impossible for me to resist.
2. PJ Harvey- "Down By the Water": PJ's absolutely terrifying tale of infanticide is one of the most amazing moments of the 90s and deserves better than 2nd place, but it just can't compete with my roots.
3. Peter, Bjorn & John- "Young Folks": The sparse atmosphere makes this another great undiscovered gem of bracketology for me! Wow!
4. Muddy Waters- "Hoochie Choochie Man": It's a nice blues jaunt, but it's up against 3 songs that I really enjoy.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 6

1. Mott the Hoople- "All the Young Dudes": Bowie translated his brilliant glam apocalypse of Ziggy Stardust to a struggling band, and the results are incandescent.
2. Chaka Khan- "I Feel for You": I much prefer Prince's version, even if this one is more famous. Whatever the version, it has such a nice pull.
3. Dexys Midnight Runners- "Geno": Somehow, I'm new to this song. I'm glad I'm not anymore!
4. R.E.M.- "It's the End of the World As We Know It": Run-on sentences never sounded so fun. Sorry, Billy Joel! There are some quite strong brackets this week, indeed.

Matt Schroeder

I'm going to be very curious to see what Moonbeam's thoughts on this song are. So what about it, MB? Is this one better than Prince's original? I think so.

You'd think I would, given that Chaka's version is decidedly more 80s! That said, I still prefer Prince's. That's not to say I always prefer Prince's versions. I much prefer Sinead's "Nothing Compares 2 U" and The Bangles' "Manic Monday" to the Prince versions.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. The Twist - Classic. A little campy maybe, but there's a special place in my heart for this kind of old school music.
2. Walk, Don't Run
3. Friends in Low Places
4. With or Without You

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 1
1. Welcome to the Jungle - One of the greatest hard rock songs by perhaps the greatest hard rock band ever.
2. Jump Around
3. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
4. I Want You

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. You Can't Hurry Love - Just classic. I'm ashamed to say how much I like this song.
2. Radio Radio
3. Rikki Don't Lose That Number
4. Stayin' Alive

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. Earth Angel - I'm on an oldies kick right now for some reason. I like this song too!
2. Stop! In the Name of Love
3. We've Only Just Begun
4. In the Ghetto

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. I Got a Woman - I think this might be my favorite Ray song. Just great R&B. And I ain't sayin' she a gold digger.
2. Fuck tha Police
3. Free Man in Paris
4. Bye Bye Love

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. For What It's Worth - I saw some shit man. Viet Cong came through the jungle at night. We lost half our platoon that day.
2. Rebel Rebel
3. Transmission
4. Cars

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 14
1. Funkytown - "Look, I can play the melody to Funkytown! i have no idea what's going on..."
2. (I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man
3. Young Folks
4. Down by the Water

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 6
1. It's the End of the World as We Know It - Such a great tune. I've been listening to a lot of R.E.M. lately, and this song has grown on me a lot.
2. All the Young Dudes
3. I Feel for You
4. Geno

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 10

2. "Walk, Don't Run" - The Ventures [1960]
3. "The Twist" - Chubby Checker [1960]
4. "Friends in Low Places" - Garth Brooks [1990]

The worst bracket yet in the entire poll, U2 wins as that's still a very fine song. "The Twist" is better than "Macarena", I guess. Garth Brooks is just godawful.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 1

1. "Welcome to the Jungle" - Guns n' Roses [1987]
2. "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" - The Rolling Stones [1965]
3. "I Want You" - Bob Dylan [1966]
4. "Jump Around" - House of Pain [1992]

Pretty tough bracket, I like and don't love all of these. In the end I'll go for G&R over the Stones in a greasy riff battle.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 16

1. "Stayin' Alive" - Bee Gees [1977]
4. "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" - Steely Dan [1974]

A very strong group here, with "Stayin' Alive" winning on that bass and subtly good lyrics. Love "Radio Radio" too. "You Can't Hurry Love" is a little slighter than my favorite Supremes (and also conjures up unhealthy Phil Collins memories), while I've never been that big of a fan of "Rikki", and am annoyed further that, while they stole the piano vamp from "Song from My Father" for it, Steely Dan would go on to be among the more litigious in the realm of sampling. I like a lot of their songs, but what hypocrites.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 3

1. "We've Only Just Begun" - The Carpenters [1970]
2. "In the Ghetto" - Elvis Presley [1969]
3. "Stop! In the Name of Love" - The Supremes [1965]
4. "Earth Angel" - The Penguins [1954]

"We've Only Just Begun" is just heavenly, perfect pop, though it just squeaks past "In the Ghetto", which on paper sounds like an absolutely horrible idea but is oddly moving in final form. Here's another Supremes song I like but don't love (they had better singles), and "Earth Angel" is just OK.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 3

3. "Bye Bye Love" - The Everly Brothers [1958]
4. "I Got a Woman" - Ray Charles [1954]

One of my favorite Joni tracks wins this group easily -- Jaco Pastorius puts on a bass clinic, and Joni absolutely buries David Geffen. The '70s!

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 16

1. "Cars" - Gary Numan [1979]
2. "Transmission" - Joy Division [1980]
3. "For What It's Worth" - Buffalo Springfield [1966]
4. "Rebel Rebel" - David Bowie [1974]

It's probably sorta heretical, but I'll go with Numan's gloss over JD's (dancey) gloom here. None of the songs in this group are exactly favorites though. And "Rebel Rebel" has never done a thing for me.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 14

1. "Down by the Water" - PJ Harvey [1995]
4. "(I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man" - Muddy Waters [1954]

A really great bracket here. "Down by the Water" is one of the most powerful songs of the '90s; that's some topic to tackle for an album's first single! "Hoochie Coochie Man" wouldn't typically come in last in one of my brackets, but alas.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 6

1. "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" - R.E.M. [1987]
2. "I Feel for You" - Chaka Khan [1984]
3. "All the Young Dudes" - Mott the Hoople [1972]

Another crazy group, like BACH BLOC, BRACKET 1 above, where I like just about each of these equally. In the end R.E.M. takes it, as it blew me away back when I picked up Document in 1987. (Yes, I'm a "senior".) I feel bad about "Geno" No. 4 here...I've played it before for those who thought Dexys were pure one-hit wonders, and changed a few minds. But this was a rough bracket.

I hope people remember to vote with the excitement of the Album poll results...

My selections provided below
BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 10

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 1

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 16
#927: "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" - Steely Dan [1974] - Steely Dan is one of my favorite bands. I saw them at the NY Philharmonic in 1974 as the opening act for Electric Light Orchestra. Steely Dan was much tighter live back in 1974 than when I saw them about 5-6 years ago at the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, CA

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 3
tough call over #142: "Stop! In the Name of Love" - The Supremes [1965]

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 3

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 16

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 14

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 6

Henry, remember that you have to rank all four songs in each bracket; picking the top song isn't enough. Thanks.

Midaso

The last couple of weeks have seen turnout for this drop way off, which is part of the reason why I removed the "comments required" rule: to increase turnout. If people are genuinely busy, I completely understand. Lord knows my life isn't exactly easy right now. But at the same time, I don't want it to be a situation where only four or five people vote in a week.

Of course, I always end up thinking that on Wednesday and Thursday, and then ten or eleven ballots end up getting entered in the last 36 hours. I guess I just want it to be like the first week, when there were almost 30 people voting. Maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Matt Schroeder
Midaso

The last couple of weeks have seen turnout for this drop way off, which is part of the reason why I removed the "comments required" rule: to increase turnout. If people are genuinely busy, I completely understand. Lord knows my life isn't exactly easy right now. But at the same time, I don't want it to be a situation where only four or five people vote in a week.

Of course, I always end up thinking that on Wednesday and Thursday, and then ten or eleven ballots end up getting entered in the last 36 hours. I guess I just want it to be like the first week, when there were almost 30 people voting. Maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Matt, the voting patterns you describe replicate my experiences with '07 bracketology, Survivor and the HOA. The first week is a poor predictor of what the "normal" amount of voting will be, and most of the ballots come in late in the week.

I predict that voting will pick up--slightly--once we're in the round of 256. Anyway, don't get discouraged!

schleuse
I predict that voting will pick up--slightly--once we're in the round of 256. Anyway, don't get discouraged!

That was my prediction too. Too many "who cares" songs in the first round for some people is my guess.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 10
2: "The Twist" - Chubby Checker [1960]
1: "With or Without You" - U2 [1987]
4: "Friends in Low Places" - Garth Brooks [1990]
3: "Walk, Don't Run" - The Ventures [1960]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 1
1: "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" - The Rolling Stones [1965]
4: "Jump Around" - House of Pain [1992]
2: "Welcome to the Jungle" - Guns n' Roses [1987]
3: "I Want You" - Bob Dylan [1966]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 16
3: "Stayin' Alive" - Bee Gees [1977]
4: "You Can't Hurry Love" - The Supremes [1966]
2: "Radio Radio" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions [1978]
1: "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" - Steely Dan [1974]

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 3
2: "Stop! In the Name of Love" - The Supremes [1965]
4: "Earth Angel" - The Penguins [1954]
1: "In the Ghetto" - Elvis Presley [1969]
3: "We've Only Just Begun" - The Carpenters [1970]

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 3
2: "Bye Bye Love" - The Everly Brothers [1958]
4: "Fuck tha Police" - N.W.A. [1988]
3: "I Got a Woman" - Ray Charles [1954]
1: "Free Man in Paris" - Joni Mitchell [1974]

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 16
1: "For What It's Worth" - Buffalo Springfield [1966]
4: "Cars" - Gary Numan [1979]
3: "Transmission" - Joy Division [1980]
2: "Rebel Rebel" - David Bowie [1974]

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 14
1: "Young Folks" - Peter Bjorn and John (Featuring Victoria Bergsman) [2006]
3: "(I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man" - Muddy Waters [1954]
2: "Funkytown" - Lipps, Inc. [1980]
4: "Down by the Water" - PJ Harvey [1995]

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 6
1: "All the Young Dudes" - Mott the Hoople [1972]
2: "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" - R.E.M. [1987]
4: "I Feel for You" - Chaka Khan [1984]
3: "Geno" - Dexys Midnight Runners [1980]

Thanks Henry. Great to see another person joining in!

I guess only Jump Around and Young Folks would be in my top 500 here (and at the bottom of it)... not really excited by this week.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 1 : I won't say that Satisfaction is the most overrated song ever, but it is clearly overrated

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 16 : I'll stick with the AM order on that one

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 3

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 16

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 14

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 6: tough call, Mott has the better moment but REM has the most homogenous song
#310: "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" - R.E.M. [1987]

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 10
#813: "Walk, Don't Run" - The Ventures [1960]
I really like the guitar playing in this one.
Very overrated song, but everything else in this bracket is so meh it still places #2 for me. Edge's component of the song really stands out, particularly the opening twenty seconds or so. Bono's contribution on the other hand is hard to bear. He overemotes a lot of cliche lyrics, and I wait for him to shut up so I can hear Edge play some more.
#724: "Friends in Low Places" - Garth Brooks [1990]
#212: "The Twist" - Chubby Checker [1960]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 1
One of the most singable rock songs of all time. Maybe a bit highly rated among Stones canon, but the entire canon is awesome so I forgive.
One of the catchier Dylan songs, with his trademark verbal gymnastics and that piano riff.
Nobody but Guns N Roses could do hair metal this good.
I remember hating this song years ago on MTV, but now I like it. It just happens to be in a ridiculously strong bracket, so whereas it'd be higher in any other bracket it falls into 4th. I have no idea how that scream in the background sounds so cool.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 16
Catchy standard that almost singlehandedly redeems disco.
I saw that episode of Saturday Night Live where he was told not to sing the song because it's critical of the industry, and decided at the last minute to change plans up and sing it anyway. That is awesome.
One song I really can't stand. The lyrics are paternalistic and patronizing 'Trust me, I know what you're feeling better than you do', and musically it's unrewardingly overlayered.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 3
#883: "We've Only Just Begun" - The Carpenters [1970]
This song starts out setting your expectations one way than takes the melody in directions you don't really expect.
#371: "Earth Angel" - The Penguins [1954]
A song it's hard to think of without thinking of Back To The Future.
#142: "Stop! In the Name of Love" - The Supremes [1965]
The Supremes are always well produced & catchy, but this song is a bit too high schooly and karaokeish.
Let me get this straight. Elvis Presley tried to write a song about inner city neighborhoods. Really? ...Wow. I'm curious if he's ever been to one. Is this the song Public Enemy was talking about? I didn't believe them at the time.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 3
Another plagiarism victim of K Widdy.
I'm never going to audition for American Idol, but if I ever did, I think I'd sing this. Just for the irony.
Too subtle.
Is this the original version? Every time I hear a version of this song I think it's the original and am later proven wrong. Great song. It took a really strong bracket for me to put it in #4.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 16
Every time I hear this song I think for a second it's Monday by Wilco. I suppose it justly ought to be the other way around.
I can't believe I've never heard this song. Whenever somebody does a parody of hippie political songs, this is the song they're imitating.
Cheesy and oversynthed.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 14
Grindy, creepy, brilliant PJ Harvey song.
Nice catchy song but I'm not sure how it got nearly this high.
I would enjoy it more, but I'm not stoned.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 6
I find it funny that the band itself needs cliff notes to remember the lyrics.
One of the bigger surprises of the tournament for me.
The second song this week where my thoughts are 'Hate the vocals, love everything else'. A lot of 80's pop vocalists had this habit where their voice would start up high, then break a little and waver, in a way that made every word sound a little whiny and croony. Dexy's Midnight Runners are no exception.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "With or Without You" - U2 [1987]: The song that made them pop superstars, and at first as unlikely a choice to do so as it was a deserving one – it’s a deliberately low-key slow builder, until all of a sudden the drums come crashing in and Bono starts being wordlessly Bono and oh yeah, I guess it is a U2 song. And a glorious one.
2. "Walk, Don't Run" - The Ventures [1960]: Everything else in this bracket pales in comparison to #1, but this is one of the greatest rock and roll instrumentals. It’s not surf, because it predates the genre by a good two years, but it certainly set the template for a million tremolo-happy records to come.
3. "The Twist" - Chubby Checker [1960]: One of the biggest hits of all time, and yes, I’m kind of mystified by that too. I guess you had to be there. Fun, though. Almost as much fun as watching Checker’s ego-driven ongoing personal campaign to get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
4. "Friends in Low Places" - Garth Brooks [1990]: Another fun record, but it’s not my favorite genre and it loses me when it just devolves into a drunken singalong.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 1
1. "Welcome to the Jungle" - Guns n' Roses [1987]: As iconic as “Satisfaction” is, I have to go with my favorite track in this exceptionally strong bracket. The perfect opener to one of the great hard-rock albums, and if pressed I’d probably say I love it even more than “Sweet Child.”
2. "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" - The Rolling Stones [1965]: What more is there to say? Although, assuming it gets through to the next round, I’m sure I’ll think of something.
3. "I Want You" - Bob Dylan [1966]: The poppiest song on BLONDE ON BLONDE, and indeed probably of Dylan’s entire career, but still of a piece with everything he did in that mad, whirling era. Doesn’t it sound like he’s making up the last verse as he’s singing it? (“And … because … time was on his side!”)
4. "Jump Around" - House of Pain [1992]: SH2B4. I got tired of it so quickly when it was omnipresent back in ’92 that I forgot what a great, hilarious (“I got more rhymes than the Bible’s got psalms” is Beastie-worthy) record it is.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" - Steely Dan [1974]: One of my all-time favorites, taking off from an inspired Horace Silver cop (when I finally heard “Song for My Father” I was startled to realize just how precise the Dan’s mimicry actually was) to deliver an unusually direct (for Becker & Fagen) and bittersweet lyric, enhanced by some beautiful melodic twists and a particularly evocative guitar solo. (No, I am not Pete Evans.)
2. "Radio Radio" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions [1978]: “I wanna bite the hand that feeds me,” Costello snarls, and he and his brilliant band proceed to do exactly that with an all-out attack on corporate radio (nice use of the word “anesthetize”) whose monster organ riff all but guaranteed that it would get massive airplay in spite of itself.
3. "Stayin' Alive" - Bee Gees [1977]: You either like it or you don’t. It’s as state-of-the-art as disco – or any pop of its era, or indeed of any era – gets.
4. "You Can't Hurry Love" - The Supremes [1966]: Yet another typically fine H-D-H Supremes product that probably was destined for #1 even before it was finished. SH2B4.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Stop! In the Name of Love" - The Supremes [1965]: Not THAT much different from #4 in the previous bracket, but there’s something that makes this one stand out – maybe the wonderful title phrase (one of the few times H-D-H came up with a lyrical conceit worthy of Smokey Robinson), maybe the insistent vibraphone, maybe just that magnificent organ wash at the beginning. In any case, it’s an easy winner in this group.
2. "We've Only Just Begun" - The Carpenters [1970]: Time has been kind to Karen and Richard; too-easy easy listening they might be, but their records are impeccably performed and produced, and this was one of the first and best.
3. "In the Ghetto" - Elvis Presley [1969]: Melodramatic, to be sure, but a towering and heartfelt performance and one of the highlights of the King’s rejuvenating Memphis excursion.
4. "Earth Angel" - The Penguins [1954]: Classic early doo-wop, but the genre is never my first listening choice.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Fuck tha Police" - N.W.A. [1988]: Six minutes of artfully, bluntly, and startlingly profanely expressed anger at what, at the time, seemed like an eminently worthy target. The raps get less interesting as it goes along – Cube to Ren to Eazy is not an upward progression – but Ice Cube jumps out of the box with such commanding authority that it doesn’t matter.
2. "Free Man in Paris" - Joni Mitchell [1974]: Mitchell’s patented brand of idiosyncratic and brilliant L.A. art-pop at its most accessible and its most cutting, simultaneously.
3. "I Got a Woman" - Ray Charles [1954]: Not necessarily my favorite track from Brother Ray, but his genius was in full flower from the beginning.
4. "Bye Bye Love" - The Everly Brothers [1958]: I hate to keep putting Everlys tracks in last place, because I do like them a great deal. Their debut single is one of their very best, but you know the SH2 drill.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "For What It's Worth" - Buffalo Springfield [1966]: One of the defining singles of the Sixties, one that lyrically caught its historical moment with pinpoint accuracy but which is also musically interesting enough to have stood the test of time, highlighted by Neil Young’s exemplary less-is-definitely-more guitar work.
2. "Cars" - Gary Numan [1979]: Another era-defining single. I recently picked up both REPLICAS (now a top 3000 album) and THE PLEASURE PRINCIPLE, and found myself shocked by how good, and relatively non-dated, they are; but this track, which made Numan a one-hit wonder here in the U.S., still sounds like the clear standout. There have been a number of brilliant synthesizer hooks in pop history, and most of them are on this record.
3. "Rebel Rebel" - David Bowie [1974]: It isn’t really one of his best songs (just as DIAMOND DOGS isn’t really one of his best albums), but we all know why it’s ranked so high: All Hail The Almighty Riff! It’s so great and so instantly unforgettable that both times the pre-chorus arrives you actually get impatient for The Riff to reappear.
4. "Transmission" - Joy Division [1980]: Again, if I knew and liked Curtis and JD more than I do I would undoubtedly rank this higher (higher than #3, at least). This is one of their most driving and aggressive tracks, with another indelible guitar hook.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 14
1. "Down by the Water" - PJ Harvey [1995]: It says something about Harvey that this darker-than-dark tale was the -radio track- on TO BRING YOU MY LOVE. The fadeout, with Harvey’s “little fish, big fish” whisper over a bed of thrumming strings, is one of the most chilling things ever recorded.
2. "(I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man" - Muddy Waters [1954]: “I got a black cat bone/I got a mojo too/I got me a John the Conqueroo/I’m gonna mess with you.” It doesn’t get any more badass than that. Possibly Muddy’s defining song.
3. "Young Folks" - Peter Bjorn and John (Featuring Victoria Bergsman) [2006]: Irresistible pure pop for all people, with the best use of whistling since “Jealous Guy” (probably even better, since the whistling actually IS the hook).
4. "Funkytown" - Lipps, Inc. [1980]: Ah, this takes me back. Mindless, but a guaranteed party starter.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 6
1. "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" - R.E.M. [1987]: Stipe undoubtedly came up with the title sentiment first and then constructed the impossibly dense word salad (if it wasn’t for that inspired grouping of LB celeb names, there’d be almost nothing to hold onto in the verses) around it. It’s a pretty inarguable sentiment, though, and the music keeps it compulsively listenable and timeless.
2. "All the Young Dudes" - Mott the Hoople [1972]: Bowie gives away one of his most direct and evocative songs and single-handedly saves a troubled band. As I’ve said before, there’s something particularly hilarious about a bunch of proud louts like Mott doing such a flamingly flamboyant song, but Ian Hunter certainly throws himself into it with gusto, especially at the fade when he’s vamping a come-on to “you there … with the glasses.”
3. "I Feel for You" - Chaka Khan [1984]: Prince didn’t exactly give this one away – it had appeared on his debut – but Khan reignited her career by jumping on his bandwagon (with help from Stevie Wonder and Melle Mel, whose opening rap was THE great earworm of ’84). A great single.
4. "Geno" - Dexys Midnight Runners [1980]: Fantastic horn lines and obviously sincere sentiments, and there was clearly more to this band than “Come on Eileen” would indicate. But I’ve always found Kevin Rowland a little irritating.

BRAHMS 10
1. WITH OR WITHOUT YOU. When U2 is on their game, they pack a punch few can match. They could always do anthemic in their sleep, but Bono’s best vocal performance and that gorgeous trademark-Edge arpeggiated outro put this one among their two or three best songs.
2. FRIENDS IN LOW PLACES. Garth’s time-capsule song. For all that he’s so cartoonable and lampoonable (like most mainstream country of the last 30 years), the man does have the chops.
3. WALK, DON’T RUN. Amiable fun.
4. THE TWIST. One of the silliest songs in rock history. Apart from its unprecedented two trips to the top of the chart, its major legacy is introducing the convention of social dancing in which the partners never actually touch each other. I’m not at all sure that’s a good thing…

BACH 1. Very, very close among these 4.
1. JUMP AROUND. It’s amazing how well this has held up…even my friends who don’t like rap love this song.
2. WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE. Someday, some genius will make this song the centerpiece of a soundtrack to a Raymond Chandler movie adaptation. A highlight of decadent glory which GnR never hit again.
3. (I CAN’T GET NO) SATISFACTION. If we could assemble a list of the top ten riffs, the famous one here would certainly be on it—probably at #1. But as a song…you could assemble an entire album of Stones songs—from the sixties alone—that are better than this.
4. I WANT YOU. For me, one of the lesser tracks on the (slightly) overrated Blonde on Blonde.

BACH 16
1. RADIO RADIO. “I wanna bite the hand that feeds me”…think you just did, E. Can’t think of a musical declaration of independence more engaging than this. His finest hour.
2. YOU CAN’T HURRY LOVE. My favorite Supremes song. Diana & co. surf that bouncy bass line all the way to the end without faltering once.
3. STAYIN’ ALIVE. One of those that I’ve listened to so many times that I almost can’t really hear it anymore. I used to think it was THE song that best characterized the 70’s; now I think, that, even within its genre, it’s a singular work of genius. But this is a tough group.
4. RIKKI DON’T LOSE THAT NUMBER. “There’s no accounting for taste; you either have it or you don’t.”

VIVALDI 3
1. EARTH ANGEL. This is, by a long shot, the worst bracket we’ve had so far. This doo-wop weeper is the only song in the group I don’t dislike…in fact, I first heard it at a talent show when I was about six and have always kind of liked it since. That’s kind of.
2. STOP! IN THE NAME OF LOVE. My least favorite Supremes song. Lyrically clever, but not as musically interesting as their other hits.
3. IN THE GHETTO. Eric Cartman nailed this one. Elvis did some really good work in the late 60’s, but this is as maudlin a slab of solipsistic sincerity as anything this side of “Send in the Clowns.”
4. WE’VE ONLY JUST BEGUN. I don’t mean to be nasty, but if it wasn’t for the tragedy of Karen’s life story, would any critics care about the Carpenters today?

LISZT 3
1. I GOT A WOMAN. Mile zero for the musical meanderings of Ray Charles, this 12-bar-on-helium is one of the great musical accomplishments of its decade. Never gets old.
2. FREE MAN IN PARIS. In which Joni proves that she’s a much more effective songwriting smartass than, say, Randy Newman.
3. BYE BYE LOVE. Totally random comment: I have a very vague memory of the first time I heard the Everly Brothers…and I swear Richard Nixon was involved somehow. Can anybody help me out with this? It took me a while to get into the Everlys for that reason…
4. FUCK THA POLICE. Well, it’s a little on the nose…I just don’t care much for West Coast stuff, and Straight Outta Compton was obviously the fountainhead of that genre.

MOZART 16. This is a fascinating bracket, with a great rocker by David Bowie, two songs that would have been inconceivable without Bowie’s Berlin period…and Buffalo Springfield. Joy Division gets the nod here for the gorgeous “Transmission,” which was a natural evolution from Low…as opposed to Gary Numan, who simply xeroxes it, and thus must rank behind the master.
1. TRANSMISSION
2. REBEL REBEL
3. CARS
4. FOR WHAT IT’S WORTH. I’ve been guilty of lambasting Buffalo Springfield in the past, and I’ll admit now this song is actually pretty good. But on the “what would I like to listen to right now?” test, it’s clearly #4 for me here.

HAYDN 14
1. HOOCHIE COOCHIE MAN. Some critics argue that badassery is essential to rock. I don’t really see it, but this is a pure an example of it from the music’s formative era. Unbelievably wonderful.
2. DOWN BY THE WATER. Unbelievably creepy. Like Muddy Waters, Polly can frequently seem more an elemental force than a musician.
3. YOUNG FOLKS. A nice bit of hooky indie pop.
4. FUNKYTOWN. For me, this will always be the song from the Roman forum scene in Mel Brooks’ History of the World.

SCHUBERT 6
1. IT’S THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT (AND I FEEL FINE). Yes, I know all the words. Of the handful of R.E.M. songs (I count three) that have entered mainstream consciousness, this one’s the most flat-out fun. Comparing it to “Subterranean Homesick Blues” could be primer on the difference between 1965 and 1988 (comparing it to “We Didn’t Start the Fire” is just cruel).
2. GENO. Nifty. I’m probably giving it credit simply for not being DMR’s other song—you know the one—which I liked for a month and then got as sick of as I’ve ever been about anything.
3. ALL THE YOUNG DUDES
4. I FEEL FOR YOU. The two songs bringing up the rear in this group were giveaways to otherwise marginal artists, from the most flamboyant, mercurial and innovative male singers of two consecutive decades.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 10
2. "Walk, Don't Run" - The Ventures [1960]
3. "Friends in Low Places" - Garth Brooks [1990]
4. "The Twist" - Chubby Checker [1960]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 1
1. "Welcome to the Jungle" - Guns n' Roses [1987]
2. "I Want You" - Bob Dylan [1966]
3. "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" - The Rolling Stones [1965]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "You Can't Hurry Love" - The Supremes [1966]
3. "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" - Steely Dan [1974]
4. "Stayin' Alive" - Bee Gees [1977]

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Stop! In the Name of Love" - The Supremes [1965]
2. "We've Only Just Begun" - The Carpenters [1970]
3. "In the Ghetto" - Elvis Presley [1969]

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 3
4. "Bye Bye Love" - The Everly Brothers [1958]

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Rebel Rebel" - David Bowie [1974]
2. "For What It's Worth" - Buffalo Springfield [1966]
3. "Transmission" - Joy Division [1980]
4. "Cars" - Gary Numan [1979]

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 14
1. "Down by the Water" - PJ Harvey [1995]
4. "(I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man" - Muddy Waters [1954]

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 6
1. "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" - R.E.M. [1987]
2. "All the Young Dudes" - Mott the Hoople [1972]

A little more than eight hours left this week!

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "Walk, Don't Run" - The Ventures [1960] One of surfin's finest
2. "The Twist" - Chubby Checker [1960]
3. "With or Without You" - U2 [1987] I disliked U2 long before it was a "fad"
4. "Friends in Low Places" - Garth Brooks [1990]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 1
1. "I Want You" - Bob Dylan [1966] Barely
2. "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" - The Rolling Stones [1965]
3. "Welcome to the Jungle" - Guns n' Roses [1987] Intro is awesome

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Radio Radio" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions [1978] Just a great straight-ahead charge of a song
2. "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" - Steely Dan [1974] From a non-"connoisseur"'s standpoint
4. "Stayin' Alive" - Bee Gees [1977]

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Stop! In the Name of Love" - The Supremes [1965]
2. "We've Only Just Begun" - The Carpenters [1970]
3. "In the Ghetto" - Elvis Presley [1969]

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Bye Bye Love" - The Everly Brothers [1958]
4. "Free Man in Paris" - Joni Mitchell [1974]

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "For What It's Worth" - Buffalo Springfield [1966]
2. "Rebel Rebel" - David Bowie [1974]
3. "Cars" - Gary Numan [1979]
4. "Transmission" - Joy Division [1980]

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 14
1. "Young Folks" - Peter Bjorn and John (Featuring Victoria Bergsman) [2006]
2. "(I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man" - Muddy Waters [1954
3. "Down by the Water" - PJ Harvey [1995]
4. "Funkytown" - Lipps, Inc. [1980]

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 6
1. "All the Young Dudes" - Mott the Hoople [1972]
2. "Geno" - Dexys Midnight Runners [1980] Had some great tunes that never came close to breaking in the states. Should not have been a one-hit wonder.
3. "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" - R.E.M. [1987] Would love to never hear this song again, which doesn't say much for...
4. "I Feel for You" - Chaka Khan [1984]

Sorry,no comments this time:

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 10
1 - "With or Without You" - U2 [1987]
2 - "The Twist" - Chubby Checker [1960]
3 - "Walk, Don't Run" - The Ventures [1960]
4 - "Friends in Low Places" - Garth Brooks [1990]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 1
1 - "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" - The Rolling Stones [1965]
2 - "I Want You" - Bob Dylan [1966]
3 - "Welcome to the Jungle" - Guns n' Roses [1987]
4 - "Jump Around" - House of Pain [1992]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 16
1 - "Stayin' Alive" - Bee Gees [1977]
2 - "Radio Radio" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions [1978]
3 - "You Can't Hurry Love" - The Supremes [1966]
4 - "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" - Steely Dan [1974]

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 3
1 - "In the Ghetto" - Elvis Presley [1969]
2 - "We've Only Just Begun" - The Carpenters [1970]
3 - "Stop! In the Name of Love" - The Supremes [1965]
4 - "Earth Angel" - The Penguins [1954]

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 3
1 - "Free Man in Paris" - Joni Mitchell [1974]
2 - "Bye Bye Love" - The Everly Brothers [1958]
3 - "Fuck tha Police" - N.W.A. [1988]
4 - "I Got a Woman" - Ray Charles [1954]

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 16
1 - "Transmission" - Joy Division [1980]
2 - "Cars" - Gary Numan [1979]
3 - "Rebel Rebel" - David Bowie [1974]
4 - "For What It's Worth" - Buffalo Springfield [1966]

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 14
1 - "Young Folks" - Peter Bjorn and John (Featuring Victoria Bergsman) [2006]
2 - "Down by the Water" - PJ Harvey [1995]
3 - "Funkytown" - Lipps, Inc. [1980]
4 - "(I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man" - Muddy Waters [1954]

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 6
1 - "Geno" - Dexys Midnight Runners [1980]
2 - "All the Young Dudes" - Mott the Hoople [1972]
3 - "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" - R.E.M. [1987]
4 - "I Feel for You" - Chaka Khan [1984]

Only two hours (and change) left to vote this week. Only twelve ballots in so far, so it's still wide open!

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 10
1 - "With or Without You" - U2 [1987]
2 - "Friends in Low Places" - Garth Brooks [1990]
3 - "Walk, Don't Run" - The Ventures [1960]
4 - "The Twist" - Chubby Checker [1960]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 1
1 - "I Want You" - Bob Dylan [1966]
2 - "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" - The Rolling Stones [1965]
3 - "Welcome to the Jungle" - Guns n' Roses [1987]
4 - "Jump Around" - House of Pain [1992]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 16
1 - "You Can't Hurry Love" - The Supremes [1966]
2 - "Radio Radio" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions [1978]
3 - "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" - Steely Dan [1974]
4- "Stayin' Alive" - Bee Gees [1977]

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET
1 - "Stop! In the Name of Love" - The Supremes [1965]
2- "In the Ghetto" - Elvis Presley [1969]
3 - "Earth Angel" - The Penguins [1954]
4- "We've Only Just Begun" - The Carpenters [1970]

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 3
1 - "I Got a Woman" - Ray Charles [1954]
2 - "Bye Bye Love" - The Everly Brothers [1958]
3 - "Fuck tha Police" - N.W.A. [1988]
4 - "Free Man in Paris" - Joni Mitchell [1974]

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 16
1- "Cars" - Gary Numan [1979]
2 - "For What It's Worth" - Buffalo Springfield [1966]
3 - "Rebel Rebel" - David Bowie [1974]
4 - "Transmission" - Joy Division [1980]

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 14
1 - "Young Folks" - Peter Bjorn and John (Featuring Victoria Bergsman) [2006]
2 - "Down by the Water" - PJ Harvey [1995]
3 - "Funkytown" - Lipps, Inc. [1980]
4 - "(I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man" - Muddy Waters [1954]

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 6
1 - "All the Young Dudes" - Mott the Hoople [1972]
2 - "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" - R.E.M. [1987]
3 - "Geno" - Dexys Midnight Runners [1980]
4 - "I Feel for You" - Chaka Khan [1984]

Voting is now over for this week. I'll have the results posted as soon as I total them up.

RESULTS

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "With or Without You" - U2 (42 points, 9 first-place votes)
2. "Walk, Don't Run" - The Ventures (32, 2)
3. "The Twist" - Chubby Checker (25, 1)
4. "Friends in Low Places" - Garth Brooks (21, 0)

In the second round: Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy"; the Jimi Hendrix Experience's "All Along the Watchtower"

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 1
1. "Welcome to the Jungle" - Guns n' Roses (38, 5)
2. "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" - The Rolling Stones (37, 4)
3. "I Want You" - Bob Dylan (29, 2)
4. "Jump Around" - House of Pain (26, 2)

In the second round: Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Free Bird"; Led Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll"

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Radio Radio" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions (40, 2)
2. "Stayin' Alive" - Bee Gees (34, 6)
3. "You Can't Hurry Love" - The Supremes (32, 3)
4. "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" - Steely Dan (24, 2)

In the second round: the Byrds' "Mr. Tambourine Man"; Sam & Dave's "Soul Man"

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Stop! In the Name of Love" - The Supremes (37, 4)
2. "We've Only Just Begun" - The Carpenters (34, 4)
3. "In the Ghetto" - Elvis Presley (27, 2)
4. "Earth Angel" - The Penguins (22, 2)

In the second round: Elvis Presley's "Heartbreak Hotel"; Eminem's "Stan"; B.B. King's "The Thrill Is Gone"

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Free Man in Paris" - Joni Mitchell (36, 5)
2. "I Got a Woman" - Ray Charles (34, 5)
3. "Fuck tha Police" - N.W.A. (32, 2)
4. "Bye Bye Love" - The Everly Brothers (28, 1)

In the second round: Pixies' "Debaser"

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "For What It's Worth" - Buffalo Springfield (37, 6)
2. "Rebel Rebel" - David Bowie (36, 2)
3. "Transmission" - Joy Division (30, 3)
4. "Cars" - Gary Numan (27, 2)

In the second round: the Clash's "London Calling"; the Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight"

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 14
1. "Young Folks" - Peter Bjorn and John (Featuring Victoria Bergsman) (40, 5)
2. "Down by the Water" - PJ Harvey (36, 4)
3. "(I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man" - Muddy Waters (28, 2)
4. "Funkytown" - Lipps, Inc. (26, 2)

In the second round: Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run"

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 6
1. "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" - R.E.M. (42, 7)
2. "All the Young Dudes" - Mott the Hoople (40, 5)
3. "Geno" - Dexys Midnight Runners (25, 1)
4. "I Feel for You" - Chaka Khan (23, 0)

In the second round: Stevie Wonder's "Living for the City"; Stevie Wonder's "Uptight (Everything's Alright)"