The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Nice That...

a publication remembered "Music" for its EDL.

Re: EOD List - Rock de Lux (Spain)

Bill
It's so bizarre to me how the world is so obsessed with English music. While the English speaking world seems to care very little for foreign music. You also see foreign bands writing music in English. Is music in English really the best? Not that there's anything wrong with that. Maybe it's just the language that works best for songs. I am a pretty multi-cultural guy by the way. I've been all over the world, and lived in a couple western European countries (I was in the military).

I'd like to know what people whose primary language isn't English think.

i remember hearing something somewhere about a dutch tv music program playing nothing but dutch musicians and people complained that it wasn't in english.

Rockdelux lists always odd mix for us all to become angry with them. For example, in its review of the 90s, OK Computer not included among the 150 best albums. I thought this year would do the same with Kid A, but no ...

Do not forget to pioneers: Robert Wyatt, Tom Waits, Ry Cooder, Nick Cave, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Lou Reed, Bruce Springsteen, Scott Walker, Bryan Wilson, David Sylvian. Other publications have not remembered them and I think it's good albums.

The issue is precious (the magazine celebrates their 25 birthday) : 200 pages just devoted to reviewing the decade. Very good design and without losing a sense of humor.

Rockdelux has returned to do a great job.

By the way, the spreadsheet of the songs have a little mistake: Since I Left You is number 14 (not 15)

Otisredding
By the way, the spreadsheet of the songs have a little mistake: Since I Left You is number 14 (not 15)
Error fixed.

Pablo

28.Antony and the Johnsons "I'm a bird Now"

I have discovered an error in the list sent by Paul (and therefore in the spreadsheet). The album by Antony and the Johnsons of Rockdelux # 28 is Antony and the Johnsons (2000) instead of I Am a Bird Now (2005)

Now this error is fixed too. Thanks Otis!

I was surprised to see only one Radiohead album on the list.

To me what surprises me is to see a Radiohead album Rockdelux list. I mean I did not expect any.

Is that a critique of Radiohead or Rock de Lux

I don't love Radiohead as much as the median AM'ers. That's for sure. Rockdelux has some prejudice, it is true, but I like seeing on the list Robert Wyatt and Tom Waits above Strokes, Arcade Fire or Radiohead. . Some magazine had to remember those great records.

I am not an avid Radiohead fan yet, but their music is growing on me. Even after 10 listens, I can hear something different in some of their songs, such as Creep, that enables me to more deeply appreciate Radiohead's artistry.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could clue me in on some of the reasons you prefer the Robert Wyatt and Tom Waits efforts.

I still have some difficulty appreciating Waits' work, but I presume that is because I don't yet understand it, not because it isn't worth appreciating.

Unfortunately, I am not sufficiently familiar with Wyatt's work to have formed even a nascent opinion.