Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: AMF Top 200 Album Poll : the results

nicolas
Jonah
Hey, if you don't mind nicolas...

If not a single Frank Zappa / Mother of Invention album made the top 200, could you tell me the highest ranked on the list.

If there's FZ on the way (a miracle!) don't tell me though, I want it to be a surprise.

467. Frank Zappa - Hot Rats

is the highest FZ record

I haven't made a list for this poll. I'm sorry for Zappa's fans because "Hot rats" is in my personal top 5 album of all-time...

206. Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love & Hate
205. Weezer - Weezer [The Blue Album]
201. Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
199. The National - Boxer
197. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
196. OutKast - Stankonia
194. The Beach Boys - Surf's Up
192. Nas - Illmatic
191. Blondie - Parallel Lines
190. The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
183. Bob Marley - Exodus
182. TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
176. Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) 1993

Are all on my list. Boxer was 199 on mine too. And Illmatic is the highest ranking one so far at 50.

I got three so far. Three pretty high ranked albums..

209. Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible (my #3)
187. Richard & Linda Thompson - I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight (my #22)
177. Slint - Spiderland (my #11)

So far 7+3

#17 TV on the Radio - Dear Science (The very high placement may have something to do with the gig of the year.)
#19 Brian Eno - Another Green World
#37 National - Boxer (This may be too high on my list but luckily becasue of that it made the final top 200)
#49 Slint - Spiderland
#59 TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountains
#69 Vampire Weekend
#151 Richard & Linda Thompson - I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight

+
#96 Björk - Post
#100 Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
#161 Tricky - Maxinquaye

The Evolution in AM Forums

2009-2008-2005

176 - 114 - xxx - Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
177 - 152 - xxx - Slint - Spiderland
178 - xxx - xxx - TV On The Radio - Dear Science
179 - xxx - 159 - Wire - Pink Flag
180 - 142 - xxx - PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
181 - 153 - 155 - Eno - Another Green World
182 - xxx - xxx - TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
183 - xxx - xxx - Bob Marley and The Wailers - Exodus
184 - xxx - 188 - The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night
185 - 198 - xxx - The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
186 - 192 - 91 - Carole King - Tapestry
187 - xxx - 138 - Richard and Linda Thompson - I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight
188 - 145 - 44 - Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
189 - xxx - xxx - Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece
190 - xxx - xxx - Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
191 - xxx - xxx - Blondie - Parallel Lines
192 - 150 - xxx - Nas - Illmatic
193 - 184 - 102 - The Cure - Seventeen Seconds
194 - 121 - xxx - The Beach Boys - Surf's Up
195 - 166 - xxx - R.E.M. - Life's Rich Pageant
196 - 197 - xxx - OutKast - Stankonia
197 - xxx - xxx - Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
198 - 170 - xxx - Gorillaz - Demon Days
199 - xxx - xxx - The National - Boxer
200 - xxx - xxx - Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP

That's a great statistic, otisredding !

But let us go back to our list with a great progression

175. Big Star - #1 Record (AM rank 485)

but, even more impressive ...

The Knife – Silent Shout (2006)

AM 3000 rank : 942

Total Points = 703.4

Appeared on 11 ballots / 68

Fans: Nassim # 7, Hauke # 21, BillAdama # 22

Moderator's point of view:
Contrary to what could be expected, the electronica Swedish duo's performance does not always come from the Nordic European voters but from all parts of the world. Great example of a moderately acclaimed album doing great.

Nassim:
This album made me realise the importance of production, not that I did not know it played its part in the quality of an album, but I never thought it could transcend songwriting that much. There are so many meanings in the way that, for instance, voices and instruments appear and disappear in "One Hit" that I could probably write an essay about it ; and all the album is gold, from the frightening opening of Silent Shout to the resignation of Forest Families or the harmonies of We Share our Mother's Health

BillAdma:
Guess what I'm rooting for in Moderate ?.

Wooohoo! Great start, nicolas! Great with a Swedish album on the list (although Silent Shout didn't make it onto my list)! Great stats, otisredding!

173. Elvis Costello - Armed Forces- 1979 - AM# 322

172. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not- 2006- AM 245

171. The Smiths - The Smiths - 1984 - AM 172

170. Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf - 2002 - AM 414

169. Bob Dylan - Desire - 1976 - AM 371

168. Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn - 1967 - AM 100

167. Sly & The Family Stone - Stand! - 1969 - AM 175

166. Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska - 1982 - AM 118

165. Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand - 2004- AM 108

164. Neil Young - Tonight's The Night - 1975 - AM 137

163. The Who - Tommy - 1969 - AM 107

162. Guns N’ Roses - Appetite For Destruction - 1987 - AM 60

161. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing… - 1996 - 103

160. Derek & the Dominos - Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs - 1970 - AM 69

159. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream - 1993 - AM 148

158. The Kinks - Something Else By The Kinks - 1967 - AM - 307

157. Nick Drake - Bryter Layter - 1970 - AM 232

156. Michael Jackson - Off The Wall - 1979 - AM - 114

155. Talking Heads - Fear of music - 1979 - AM - 237

I absolutely love Silent Shout. It caught the tail end of my list, and while I would like if it was higher I'm happy it broke the T200. With that and RtCM already on the list, it looks like 2006 is done.

Daft Punk – Discovery (2000)

AM 3000 rank : 1327

Total Points = 819.01

Appeared on 11 ballots / 68

Fans: Scwhah # 8, octopus # 19, VanillaFire1000 # 20

Moderator's point of view:
Another European electro duo, this time from Versailles, France. The majority of voters prefer this more pop-oriented album to Homework , which is # 303 at AM and only 470 in our poll. This is probably the only album lower than # 1000 on AM 3000 to make our top 200.

Jackson:
Sheer fun expressed on record. While Daft Punk's Homework merely tires me out, it is hard to listen to this one without grinning. Those first four tracks, ranging from the dance standard "One More Time" to guitar heroics on "Digital Love" and "Aerodynamic," rival the beginning of any album.

153. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory - 1970 - AM 170

152. Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica - 1969 - AM 53

151. Steely Dan - Aja - 1977 - AM 271 (Georgie's number 1)

The Evolution in AM Forums

2009-2008-2005

151 - xxx - xxx - Steely Dan - Aja
152 - 167 - xxx - Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica
153 - 180 - 194 - Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory
154 - xxx - xxx - Daft Punk - Discovery
155 - 164 - 87 - Talking Heads - Fear of Music
156 - xxx - xxx - Michael Jackson - Off the Wall
157 - 200 - xxx - Nick Drake - Bryter Layter
158 - 144 - 158 - The Kinks - Something Else by the Kinks
159 - 94 - xxx - Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
160 - 177 - 120 - Derek and The Dominos - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs
161 - 124 - 98 - DJ Shadow - Endtroducing.....
162 - xxx - xxx - Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
163 - 139 - xxx - The Who - Tommy
164 - xxx - xxx - Neil Young - Tonight's the Night
165 - 172 - 89 - Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
166 - 191 - xxx - Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska
167 - 148 - xxx - Sly and the Family Stone - Stand!
168 - xxx - xxx - Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
169 - 186 - xxx - Bob Dylan - Desire
170 - xxx - xxx - Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
171 - 185 - 81 - The Smiths - The Smiths
172 - 163 - xxx - Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
173 - xxx - xxx - Elvis Costello and The Attractions - Armed Forces
174 - xxx - xxx - The Knife - Silent Shout
175 - 143 - xxx - Big Star - #1 Record

5 albums of my list in that section, including my #2 Songs for the Deaf, #7 Silent Shout and #11 Endtroducing.

I'm really really happy QOTSA cracked the top 200 ! I'm now hoping that my #1 is in the top 100 (it was pretty close to it in the previous poll, around 105 if I remember well)

My comment on this album by the way :
From the first seconds of Millionaire to the last ones of Mosquito Song, this album is everything a rock album should be : dangerous, slick, sexy, sensitive, tender, direct, clever, introspective, arrogant, mercyless, hypnotic… A song for the dead and A Song for the Dead as the 2 stoners picks, more throbbing and tense than anything else, balanced by the relative poppiness of No One Knows and Go With the Flow and by the sheer craziness of Six Shooters. This all lead to the gorgeous final of Mosquito Song, at the same time a lullaby (to paralyze), a requiem and the exit music of an incredible road movie through the desert.

SR
I absolutely love Silent Shout. It caught the tail end of my list, and while I would like if it was higher I'm happy it broke the T200. With that and RtCM already on the list, it looks like 2006 is done.

Yes, probably it's done, with the Arctic Monkeys in the top spot for the year!
I had some hope to see Fear of Music in the top 100, but it's still good to see it here, probably the 2nd best ranked TH in the list.

nicolas, will you do the larger presentation (with artwork and statistics and comments) for all albums once we reach the top 100?

Jackson... great comment on Discovery. You summed up succinctly exaxctly why it shot into my top-10 and is my top album of the decade currently. It grabbed me on my first listen, but I never thought it would have the staying power in my imagination. In so many ways it's ludicrous... the Neil Diamond-esque closing line grunts of Romanthony on the epic opening track, the 70's stardust pop filtered through a Buck Rogers sensibility, the Barry Manilow sample for godssake. But as Thomas Bangalter said about the album:

"When you're a child you don't judge or analyze music. You just like it because you like it. You're not concerned with whether it's cool or not. Sometimes you might relate to just one thing in a song, such as the guitar sound. This album takes a playful, fun, and colorful look at music. It's about the idea of looking at something with an open mind and not asking too many questions. It's about the true, simple, and honest relationship you have with music when you're open to your own feelings."

I also had:

- Fear of Music at #37 (a recent discovery for me, anchored by the fantastic "Life During Wartime" -- I prefer it far and away to Remain in Light)

- Stand! at #55 (Practically a greatest hits album in and of itself)

- Tommy at #59 (for all of its excesses, which lead directly to the poor choice to feature Daltry's voice more heavily in the 70's, it is tuneful as hell, and was a huge part of my teenage years)

- Something Else by the Kinks at #105 (How great a song is "David Watts"?)

- Franz Ferdinand at #124 (honestly, it's slipping in my estimation... last time out I had it at #31)

- Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not at #200 (uneven album with enough heights to eke onto my list, but I'm already wondering whether I should have had an number of other albums (including Silent Shout) on instead)

Michael
nicolas, will you do the larger presentation (with artwork and statistics and comments) for all albums once we reach the top 100?

yes

I love that Thomas Bangalter quote !

Had The Knife, DJ Shadow, and the Smashing Pumpkins on my list, although all three were second half.

I'm happy Daft Punk did well, but I'm disappointed that Arctic Monkeys beat the Knife and TVotR.

I had...

171. The Smiths - The Smiths - 1984 - AM 172
170. Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf - 2002 - AM 414
166. Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska - 1982 - AM 118
159. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream - 1993 - AM
157. Nick Drake - Bryter Layter - 1970 - AM 232
156. Michael Jackson - Off The Wall - 1979 - AM - 114

And of course, Daft Punk. I think Silent Shout was in mine as well near the bottom. Most of these picks were in my latter half.

Albums that were in my top 100:

Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head - 56
Nas - Illmatic - 50
Vampire Weekend - S/T - 85
Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska - 87
Daft Punk - Discovery - 20

168. Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn - 1967
165. Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand - 2004
163. The Who - Tommy - 1969
162. Guns N’ Roses - Appetite For Destruction - 1987
161. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing… - 1996
160. Derek & the Dominos - Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs - 1970
159. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream - 1993
156. Michael Jackson - Off The Wall - 1979
153. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory - 1970
152. Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica

These 10 albums all made my Top 200.

Hey nicolas, do you know what was the highest ranking album on AM that nobody put on any of their lists?

I was going to ask the same question. Last time I think it was Rum, Sodomy and the lash and I know for certain that at least one person voted for that album this time.

Anyone care to guess what it might be?

Three more albums from me.

174. The Knife - Silent Shout (my #64)
165. Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand (my #59)
163. The Who - Tommy (my #82)

Only 2 of these were in my list:

Franz Ferdinand- Franz Ferdinand (#47)

Taken as a whole, it is easy to understand why these 11 tracks of winks, whispers and innuendo turned critic and casual listener alike into giggling teenagers. Darts of Pleasure, indeed. Full review at http://rateyourmusic.com/collection/Moonbeam/rating812551

Michael Jackson- Off the Wall (#142)

really enjoying reading this list! it is a good list. i hope nothing comes up i have forgotten about... in fact as soon as the ten not to make it appeared i wished some leonard cohen had sneaked in.

i'm glad you included those nicholas, holy bible was my #10. i've already had two of my picks highlighted as intersting picks based on the AMF 3000 list, but i guess my choices are mostly newer music - my mode and median are 1994.

i love prince, getting 1999 as i type. thanks!

edit: shouldn.t give anything away about the list!

#25- XO: Elliott Smith's 3rd best album... or maybe 2b. I doubt his self titled will make the list but it's #4 on my list. XO and Either/Or have the production but there is something really magical about Elliott Smith and just a couple instruments.
#62- Loaded
#72- Black Saint and the Sinner Lady: There are only a few non-vocal albums that I rank with the best vocal albums, but this is definitely one of them.
#101- Bjork- Debut: This still remains my favorite Bjork album.
#135- Cosmos Factory
#147- Aja: I finally figured out Aja this past year. I still am trying to get the rest of their stuff, but this is a great album.

Hey guys,

Has it been determined who is doing the song list? I know I'm on board for the artists list after that, but I'm not sure if anyone has claimed the song list. If not, I can do it.

Moonbeam
Hey guys,

Has it been determined who is doing the song list? I know I'm on board for the artists list after that, but I'm not sure if anyone has claimed the song list. If not, I can do it.

I actually really want to do the song list, but I'll cede to one of the more senior members of the forum if they want to do it.

Jackson
Moonbeam
Hey guys,

I actually really want to do the song list, but I'll cede to one of the more senior members of the forum if they want to do it.

Jackson, I'd be very happy for you to do the songs list if nobody's claimed it!

175. Big Star - #1 Record (175 for me!)
174. The Knife - Silent Shout (37)
165. Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand (186)
164. Neil Young - Tonight's The Night (27)
161. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing (155)
159. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream (5)
157. Nick Drake - Bryter Layter (167)
154. Daft Punk – Discovery (51)
152. Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica (58)
147. Prince – 1999 (160)
146. Pearl Jam – Ten (142)
141. Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (22)
136. Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique (172)
132. Antony & the Johnsons - I Am a Bird Now (191)
131. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (24)
129. Primal Scream – Screamadelica (161)
126. The Velvet Underground – Loaded (126)

Definitely the big shocker was Mellon Collie over Siamese Dream. Siamese Dream is simply so important to my adolescent musical memories that I always relate Mellon Collie to it, even though the latter is amazing. Siamese was pure satured fuzzy beauty... the pinnacle of early 90s alternative, while Mellon Collie represent musicians following up a masterpiece with sprawling experimentation in unexpected styles, as they often do with follow-ups. Fortunately those styles are awesome, with no filler except for the slight songs that serve a basic aesthetic for a particular section of the record. Although perhaps for younger music listeners (I know we've got some readers that were born in the nineties!) I can see how Mellon Collie might relate more to the alterna-pop landscape of the the mid-90s onward. There's more in a song like 1979 to some ears than others.

But personally, putting Mellon over Siamese Dream would be like someone saying that a follow-up to Loveless, if it ever exists, would be better. They were already perfect, how can anything derived from the same musicians afterwards be any better?

Jonah

Definitely the big shocker was Mellon Collie over Siamese Dream. Siamese Dream is simply so important to my adolescent musical memories that I always relate Mellon Collie to it, even though the latter is amazing. Siamese was pure satured fuzzy beauty... the pinnacle of early 90s alternative, while Mellon Collie represent musicians following up a masterpiece with sprawling experimentation in unexpected styles, as they often do with follow-ups. Fortunately those styles are awesome, with no filler except for the slight songs that serve a basic aesthetic for a particular section of the record. Although perhaps for younger music listeners (I know we've got some readers that were born in the nineties!) I can see how Mellon Collie might relate more to the alterna-pop landscape of the the mid-90s onward. There's more in a song like 1979 to some ears than others.

But personally, putting Mellon over Siamese Dream would be like someone saying that a follow-up to Loveless, if it ever exists, would be better. They were already perfect, how can anything derived from the same musicians afterwards be any better?

Good comments Jonah.
I put Mellon Collie over Siamese Dream in many reasons. First Mellon Collie was the first Smashing Pumpkins album to me. I saw music video of Today in program called Rock Circus in 93. First impression was that the singer was the worst ever. In a way I liked the song and showed the video to all my friends (I recrorded every episode of Rock Circus).
Then in autumn of 1995 I heart that Pumpkins have made new album. I listened to Bullet with Butterfly Wings and it sounded interesting (and Billy Corgan didn't sound the worst singer ever anymore). I got the album (after wondering how on earth it can be the #1 in Billboard charts). It blowed my mind (I got also Siamese Dream) and Pumpkins become my favourite band (before that it was Metallica I guess and since summer of 97 it has been Radiohead).
There are much more versatility in Mellon Collie than in Siamese Dream (and I don't mean in quality of songs). I mean if you only think the five songs that was released as a single - they are all different to each others. Also the album isn't just a bunch of songs it's an entirety which has beginning and ending.
The biggest reason why I prefer Mellon Collie is that I think there are better songs in the album than in Siamese. Of course songs like Disarm and Today are pure pop genius. And some rock songs are also very good (Cherub Rock, Queit...) but like (edit)VanillaFire1000 (/edit) said 1979 is song of the decade. Also the peaceful songs (excluding Disarm) are better in Mellon Collie. For example any song after XYU is better than Space Boy.
In a way I'm also a bit surprised that Mellon Collie beat Siamese Dream because SD is more acclaimed and shorter (and that's why maybe easier to approach). In 90's I had more time to listen to albums that I loved because I listened to maybe 50-100 new albums per year. Nowadays when it's almost ten new albums per week I prefer shorter albums. If Mellon Collie would be released today I might passed it too quickly because of its length (and fillers).
Mellon Collie didn't bring anything totally new to music of Pumpkins but it has better songs and it was released at a right time to me. For a same reason I prefer Morning Glory to Definitely Maybe and Antics to Turn on the Bright Lights.

By the way talking about My Bloody Valentine. I put Isn't Anything (#2 of 80's) over Loveless in my list.

Carole King's Tapestry comes in at 186; this a very large drop from recent AM lists, and indicates to me that her music has very little following among folks younger than 30 or 45 years old. Of course, being the oldest guy in the poll, I rated this album all the way up at 6. Great songwriting, excellent vocals, but nothing spectacular as far as instrumental virtuouso and nothing in the way of experimentation. Perhaps this is why the album has dropped so far. I still love it.

The Who's Quadrophenia remains one of my favorites (46 on my list). Some of the better songs in my view include: Love, Reign O'er Me; The Real Me; The Punk And The Godfather; I've Had Enough; 5:15; Cut My Hair; I'm One; Doctor Jimmy; Sea and Sand; The Rock; Is It In My Head. Keith Moon's drumming is excellent on this album, and in my view, never again rises to this level of inspiration before his untimely death.

I am not surprised to see Tommy and Layla drop down on this list. Both are great albums. My favorites from Layla include: Layla, Bell Bottom Blues; Little Wing, Why Does Love Have to be So Sad, and I Looked Away. Tommy was a game-changer in its day. Daltrey's vocals were superb and Townsend was near his best. Let's see where Who's Next ends up.