The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I Mean...

I should rephrase and say, had an album that's been certified for 5 million+. :) Are You Experienced is at 4 million, I believe.

Inductees....

ABBA
Genesis
Jimmy Cliff
The Hollies
The Stooges

Boo at Yet another year gone by for Donna Summer. Yay for ABBA.

I guess Genesis' pre-Phil-Collins-as-lead work got them in? Can't imagine Phil Collins will be considered anytime soon for his solo work (though I do enjoy some of it).

Madonna did Iggy and the boys a favor last year by having them lay at the induction ceremony.

Surprised the Red Hot Chilli Peppers didn't get in on the band's first year of eligibility.

Re: I Mean...

JR
I should rephrase and say, had an album that's been certified for 5 million+. :) Are You Experienced is at 4 million, I believe.

4 million copies is pretty damn successful

Re: Inductees....

This is one the best classes in hall history.

Does anybody know why Genesis is in when Yes and King Crimson aren't? At least they finally fixed one of their most obvious omissions by including the Stooges, and they didn't vote Kiss in. Unlike the past few years, this class seems like it's more about merit and less about selling tickets to the induction ceremony.

Jackson
Does anybody know why Genesis is in when Yes and King Crimson aren't?

Probably because of all the hits they had with Phil Collins as lead singer. If they'd split in 1980,they would have zero chance of getting in,despite arguably still deserving to...

Yes...

4 million is very successful- but you know what I mean. He never had the commercial success of some other acclaiemd acts (i.e. Beatles, Elvis, Madonna, Elton John, etc. etc.)- especially in terms of hit singles.

Abba's Gold compilation continues to sell well, certified at 6 million+- hard to believe the group only had4 top 10 hits. That album is chock full of classic pop nuggets.

I suppose Genesis was more progressive and musically interesting than Chicago (at least before the Phil Collins years). The 80s balladry totally ruined it for Chicago (even though I like some of those songs. hehe)