The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Kiss...

Dave marsh was one critic who has fought long and hard to keep Kiss off the ballot- it worked, until this yea,r I guess. ha Kiss was one of my favorite acts when I was 5- I had the Love Gun album and dressed as Ace Frehley for Halloween. Over the years, I lost interest, I guess.

Re: Kiss...

Everyone keeps forgetting about the women. What about Kate Bush? How many times have you heard the latest artrock diva or band drawing comparisons to her just this year alone? She has to be one of the most influencial figures in all of alternative rock. I guess it's because the one country she wasn't a massive success in is the US so if she wasn't big here her influence doesn't matter.

I Wouldn't Say That...

there are acts who weren't massively successful, yet ae in the HOF. Heck, Jimi Hendrix was never a huge commercial success.

Re: I Wouldn't Say That...

JR
there are acts who weren't massively successful, yet ae in the HOF. Heck, Jimi Hendrix was never a huge commercial success.

please.

his 3 albums were top 5 hits in the US and the UK except EL in the UK which charted at 6. jimi hendrix was nothing short of an icon.

Re: I Wouldn't Say That...

JR

In the United States, Are You Experienced was the single best-selling album of 1968. When Jimi took the stage at Woodstock, he was easily among the world's most popular and famous artists.

The same can't really be said about The Velvet Underground, despite the fact that the music they made was on par with Jimi and others. As a result, Hendrix makes it his first year (not that anyone could complain about that) while the VU have to wait four years. And even then they only get in because a Rock Hall would be illegitimate without them.

Re: Ranking the nominees, using the AM Artist Top 1000

Klauw

26. The Smiths
34. Beastie Boys
42. Roxy Music
46. Lou Reed
47. Sonic Youth
51. Joy Division
55. New Order
56. Kraftwerk
(60. John Coltrane)
62. Tom Waits
64. The Jam
66. The Stooges
71. The Cure

These are some great artists being left out!

Re: Ranking the nominees, using the AM Artist Top 1000

I generally have no issues about legitimacy when it comes to these hall of fame/award type things. The fun is in figuring out the tastes and biases of the voters and bitching and moaning about their choices. I love the Oscars and Emmys (and even the generally execrable Grammys) for that reason.

All that said... the RnRHOF abandons all claims to legitimacy until they vote in Sonic Youth.

And I'm a little surprised they haven't yet. Three years ago my wife and I were visiting friends in Cleveland. We made an ill-advised and ill-fated trip to the Hall of Fame museum with our two year old girls. They were unimpressed to say the least. The one thing I do remember getting to see was that there was a surprising amount of things about Sonic Youth... a whole short film in which they discussed their influences and a couple of pieces of memoribilia. I suppose the voters are quite different than the curators, though.

Eventually there will be a generational turnover, and it will be interesting to see what happens. Once Nirvana and other 90's Alternative Nation bands get voted in, there is bound to be a groundswell to vote in more of their forebears.

I Mean...

Hendrix was never a HUGE commercial success- he didn't have an album that sold more than 5m in the USA, for instance, and he never had a top 10 hit on the Hot 100- his highest-charting single topped out at #20.

Yeah, he had more success thaan some others, but he's hardly one of the most commercially successful acts of all time. And, yes, he is an icon and one of the most influential and greatest artists- but commercial success has nada to do with gauging that.

Re: I Mean...

I should rephrase and say, had an album that's been certified for 5 million+. :) Are You Experienced is at 4 million, I believe.

Inductees....

ABBA
Genesis
Jimmy Cliff
The Hollies
The Stooges

Boo at Yet another year gone by for Donna Summer. Yay for ABBA.

I guess Genesis' pre-Phil-Collins-as-lead work got them in? Can't imagine Phil Collins will be considered anytime soon for his solo work (though I do enjoy some of it).

Madonna did Iggy and the boys a favor last year by having them lay at the induction ceremony.

Surprised the Red Hot Chilli Peppers didn't get in on the band's first year of eligibility.

Re: I Mean...

JR
I should rephrase and say, had an album that's been certified for 5 million+. :) Are You Experienced is at 4 million, I believe.

4 million copies is pretty damn successful

Re: Inductees....

This is one the best classes in hall history.

Does anybody know why Genesis is in when Yes and King Crimson aren't? At least they finally fixed one of their most obvious omissions by including the Stooges, and they didn't vote Kiss in. Unlike the past few years, this class seems like it's more about merit and less about selling tickets to the induction ceremony.

Jackson
Does anybody know why Genesis is in when Yes and King Crimson aren't?

Probably because of all the hits they had with Phil Collins as lead singer. If they'd split in 1980,they would have zero chance of getting in,despite arguably still deserving to...

Yes...

4 million is very successful- but you know what I mean. He never had the commercial success of some other acclaiemd acts (i.e. Beatles, Elvis, Madonna, Elton John, etc. etc.)- especially in terms of hit singles.

Abba's Gold compilation continues to sell well, certified at 6 million+- hard to believe the group only had4 top 10 hits. That album is chock full of classic pop nuggets.

I suppose Genesis was more progressive and musically interesting than Chicago (at least before the Phil Collins years). The 80s balladry totally ruined it for Chicago (even though I like some of those songs. hehe)