The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bracketology: Round 1, Week 12

BRACKETOLOGY: ROUND 1, WEEK 12

A little breakdown of this week's songs by decade...
1920s: 0
1930s: 1
1940s: 2
1950s: 1
1960s: 12
1970s: 5
1980s: 3
1990s: 5
2000s: 3

Also of note:
Two brackets in the Chopin bloc
Two brackets in the Beethoven bloc
Three songs by the Beatles

Here are this week's brackets. Remember, you can also view the brackets on this site. Voting is now open, and you have until 11:59 PM Pacific time on this upcoming Saturday to vote. Vote either in this thread or e-mail me.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 9
#36: "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" - The Four Tops [1967]
#477: "Apache" - The Shadows [1960]
#548: "Personal Jesus" - Depeche Mode [1990]
#989: "I Will Always Love You" - Whitney Houston [1992]

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 9
#46: "(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock" - Bill Haley & His Comets [1956]
#467: "Music" - Madonna [2000]
#558: "Back on the Chain Gang" - Pretenders [1984]
#979: "In C" - Terry Riley [1965]

BEETHOVEN BLOC, BRACKET 6
#193: "Ever Fallen in Love?" - Buzzcocks [1979]
#320: "Crying" - Roy Orbison [1961]
#705: "Street Fighting Man" - The Rolling Stones [1968]
#832: "Helter Skelter" - The Beatles [1968]

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 14
#228: "Sabotage" - Beastie Boys [1994]
#285: "Stand by Your Man" - Tammy Wynette [1968]
#740: "The Humpty Dance" - Digital Underground [1990]
#797: "Rollin' Stone" - Muddy Waters [1948]

BEETHOVEN BLOC, BRACKET 10
#224: "The Sound of Silence" - Simon & Garfunkel [1966]
#289: "Fell in Love with a Girl" - The White Stripes [2001]
#736: "Back in the Saddle Again" - Gene Autry [1939]
#801: "Pale Blue Eyes" - The Velvet Underground [1969]

TCHAIKOVSKY BLOC, BRACKET 12
#91: "Sweet Child o' Mine" - Guns n' Roses [1987]
#422: "O.P.P." - Naughty by Nature [1991]
#603: "Telegram Sam" - T. Rex [1972]
#934: "Call It Stormy Monday (But Tuesday Is Just as Bad)" - T-Bone Walker [1947]

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 13
#17: "Strawberry Fields Forever" - The Beatles [1967]
#496: "Duke of Earl" - Gene Chandler [1962]
#529: "Danger! High Voltage" - Electric Six [2003]
#1008: "Girlfriend in a Coma" - The Smiths [1987]

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 9
#35: "Hey Jude" - The Beatles [1968]
#478: "Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)" - Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel [1975]
#547: "Ohio" - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young [1970]
#990: "Frankie Teardrop" - Suicide [1977]

Re: Bracketology: Round 1, Week 12

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" - The Four Tops [1967]
Tough opening bracket this week. My 1, 2, and 3 songs are all five-star songs in my book. However, this is a situation where under no circumstances would the order of my first three ever change. "Reach Out" is one of my all-time favorites and will always remind me of my childhood.
2. "Personal Jesus" - Depeche Mode [1990]
That guitar, that stomping drum beat, the heavy breathing solo about two-thirds of the way through... I absolutely love this song. It's one that I love listening to when I'm just driving around. Crank it up and let my speedometer creep ever higher.
3. "I Will Always Love You" - Whitney Houston [1992]
God, how many times has this song been played? It's smooth as a baby's ass, more melodramatic than a teenage girl, and will get on your nerves faster than you can say "Heidi and Spencer." But hate it or love it, this is the perfect pop song. Whitney's voice is pitch-perfect. The arrangement is maudlin, but never overbearing. And when the song goes silent for a moment before Houston comes back in with "And I.... will always love you"? I still get chills. It hurts me to only give this one two points, because I still love this song, but the other two are simply better.
4. "Apache" - The Shadows [1960]
Garage rock classic, but I actually prefer the remake by the Incredible Bongo Band. Now THAT is a great song.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. "In C" - Terry Riley [1965]
I know I'm going to be the only person here to put this one at #1, but I wanted it to have at least one first-place vote. I'm only beginning to get into minimalism, but I absolutely adore it. You can really hear this song's impact in songs like the Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again."
2. "(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock" - Bill Haley & His Comets [1956]
I have no doubt that this one will end up taking the bracket. It certainly deserves to win. Hell, without this song you don't have the entire rock and roll movement.
3. "Back on the Chain Gang" - Pretenders [1984]
Great little song, just can't compete with the legendary status of Haley and company or my love for "In C".
4. "Music" - Madonna [2000]
This is the song that officially made me stop caring about Madonna. It's catchy, sure. But that whole electro sound just really turned me off the first time I heard it, and I never was able to get over it. Plus, it's never a good idea to use the words "boogie woogie" in the lyrics of a song from after 1970.

1. "Helter Skelter" - The Beatles [1968]
It really speaks to just how ingrained the Beatles were in the culture of the United States circa 1968 that: 1) a guy could actually think that the band was trying to send out subversive messages about impending class warfare through their most recent album, 2) that a group of people would actually believe this guy, and 3) that they would be willing to commit a series of murders based on their belief in this impending racial warfare. And really, the song is about a water slide!
2. "Crying" - Roy Orbison [1961]
I don't even know what to say here. This is such a gorgeous song, but I can't put my finger on why. Though I will say that about two-thirds of the way through when Roy sings "cry-y-y-ing" in his falsetto, it's absolutely breathtaking.
3. "Street Fighting Man" - The Rolling Stones [1968]
I always felt like this was really subpar Stones. There's so many other, better songs by these guys.
4. "Ever Fallen in Love?" - Buzzcocks [1979]
Not really a fan of punk music.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 14
1. "Sabotage" - Beastie Boys [1994]
With this song, the Boys managed to mesh two music genres that really have no business being together: punk and rap. It's an amazing sonic blast that still gets me fired up to this day. And of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the video, which is easily one of the top ten greatest videos of all time.
2. "The Humpty Dance" - Digital Underground [1990]
I refuse to classify these guys as a one-hit wonder because wasn't "Doowutchyalike" a bit of a hit too? Nevertheless...
I could listen to some songs over and over, day after day, and this is one of those songs. I don't know how many times I've heard it, but there are some lines in here that still make me laugh. You gotta give props to a song that makes sex in a Burger King bathroom sound like something enticing! I LOVE IT!
3. "Rollin' Stone" - Muddy Waters [1948]
It's not that I dislike this song, I just don't like it. Give me Muddy's stuff from just a few years later.
4. "Stand by Your Man" - Tammy Wynette [1968]
I remember a Saturday Night Live sketch from the late '80s where Jan Hooks was dressed up as Tammy Wynette singing "the classics." She would sing famous classical music songs (like Beethoven's Fifth, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, etc.), but the only words were "stand by your man." Example: for Beethoven's Fifth, she's sing those four words to the bum-bum-bum-BUM part at the very beginning. Hilarious sketch, but the song still blows.

1. "Fell in Love with a Girl" - The White Stripes [2001]
Is it really fair to put a song in the top spot based solely on the strength of its music video? I mean, the song is pretty good, but that video absolutely blew my mind the first time I saw it. Yeah, I know they used CGI and that it isn't ALL Legos, but still: wow!
2. "Pale Blue Eyes" - The Velvet Underground [1969]
Considering how much the people on this forum love the Velvet Underground, I would not be at all surprised to see this one sneak into the second round, but to me this song just doesn't compare to the White Stripes' video.
3. "The Sound of Silence" - Simon & Garfunkel [1966]
I'll be the first to defend S&G. Sure, they may not be the hardest rocking group ever, but Paul's lyrics are truly poetic and gorgeous. Really, they were the apotheosis of the folk movement of the 1960s (excepting maybe Dylan). But this song has never done anything for me.
4. "Back in the Saddle Again" - Gene Autry [1939]
I'm a child of the '80s and '90s. And I'm not a fan of country music. So already, this song has two strikes against it for me. For me, the only time I could ever hear this song and not dislike it is if it were used in an ironic fashion. Example: a movie where some lifelong criminal gets thrown in jail, and upon his release returns to his position as a criminal lord. Cue this song. If that's the only instance where I could like this song, then strike three.

1. "O.P.P." - Naughty by Nature [1991]
What a weak bracket. If this one is getting the top spot, then the other three must be total stinkers. That's not to say that I dislike this one. Hell, I'm down with O.P.P.! Yeah! You know me! But... seriously, O.P.P.? That one's getting the top spot? Uh-oh.
2. "Call It Stormy Monday (But Tuesday Is Just as Bad)" - T-Bone Walker [1947]
A blues classic, and one that every blues-rock artist keeps in his repertoire. Sure this is good, but I'll take the Allman Brothers Band's version off "At Fillmore East." That one just seems to have a little more depth than this one.
3. "Telegram Sam" - T. Rex [1972]
It would take something fairly weak for me to put a T. Rex song above the #4 spot. And that "something fairly weak" is...
4. "Sweet Child o' Mine" - Guns n' Roses [1987]
I've never liked GnR. It's always just been trashy hair metal to me.

1. "Strawberry Fields Forever" - The Beatles [1967]
Understated brilliance. It's like the perfect soundtrack for a mellow Saturday afternoon enjoying your preferred brand of narcotic.
2. "Duke of Earl" - Gene Chandler [1962]
Following "Strawberry Fields" with this one is like like having Richard Pryor as the opening act for Andrew Dice Clay. Still, even though this is campy as hell (don't dukes live in duchies, not dukedoms?), it's still head-and-shoulders above...
3. "Danger! High Voltage" - Electric Six [2003]
Major drop-off for numbers 3 and 4 in this bracket. God, I can't tell if this song is supposed to be some big joke. If it is, I don't get it. Still, this one is just slightly above...
4. "Girlfriend in a Coma" - The Smiths [1987]
I don't expect this song to come out victorious in this bracket, but I wouldn't be surprised if this forum's Smiths fans come out in force to give it second place overall. Sadly though, I am not a Smiths fan. I can only take so much sad bastard music.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. "Hey Jude" - The Beatles [1968]
There are certain songs that DJs put on the radio simply so they can take a bathroom break. "Free Bird," "American Pie," "Stairway to Heaven"... and this one. I'm convinced that there are still people out there singing the "na-na-na... NA-NA-NA-NA" part. Nevertheless, it's strong enough to get the top spot here.
2. "Ohio" - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young [1970]
This bracket and the last two have one thing in common: a song that stands out above the rest, then three songs that I couldn't give two shits about. Yes, I understand the whole social significance of this song. National Guard, Kent State, Vietnam, etc. But for someone who was born in 1982, the Vietnam War was never something that affected my life. And this song really doesn't do anything for me.
3. "Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)" - Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel [1975]
What the fuck is this song doing at the #478 spot? Why the hell is this song so damned wonderful? It's instantly forgettable. According to my iTunes, I've listened to it seven times, but I can't ever remember how it goes. What the hell?
4. "Frankie Teardrop" - Suicide [1977]
No, please.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 9

1. Depeche Mode- "Personal Jesus": For a band as legendary for their electronics as anything else, it's surprising that my favorite DM song is this guitar-led swaggering stomp through a classic blues riff. The lyrics prove to be one of their very best, and along with the sheer enormity of the sound, they make the song a real classic. The entire album is a real benchmark in music history, and will place quite well in my album list. Can't wait, nicolas!
2. The Four Tops- "Reach Out (I'll Be There)": How ironic that the title of this song is "Reach Out", but I prefer DM's followup of "touch faith" than "I'll be there", it seems. Still, this is a classic in its own right, and I'm sure it will advance.
3. Whitney Houston- "I Will Always Love You": I had this cassette single back in the day, but its definitely worn out its welcome over time. Nevertheless, it's become the quintessential version of this sweeping ballad, which earns it some respect.
4. The Shadows- "Apache": I suppose this is cool, but it's up against 2 titans and some nostalgia.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 9

1. Pretenders- "Back on the Chain Gang": A seminal 80s song- it's not my favorite Pretenders track ("Middle of the Road"), their most famous ("Brass in Pocket") or their most rocking ("Mystery Achievement"), but it's their most tender and precious. There's something remarkably comforting about it, which gives it the edge here.
2. Terry Riley- "In C": This is really, really interesting! I had never heard of Terry Riley before, much less this piece of music, but I do quite like minimalism, and the journey that this song takes is quirky, epic and unforgettable.
3. Madonna- "Music": Following the artistic triumph of Ray of Light and the irresistible fun of "Beautiful Stranger", I was expecting big things from Madonna, one of my all-time favorites, in 2000. "American Pie" was a dud, for sure, but I always hated that song. "Time Stood Still", however, was a truly gorgeous ballad, and I was eager for her next studio effort. However, Music fell woefully short for me. "Impressive Instant" and "Paradise (Not for Me)" were treats, but not much of the rest of the album has held on for me, including the title track. It sounds like perfunctory rather than inspired, and contrived rather than spontaneous.
4. Bill Haley & His Comets- "Rock Around the Clock": Important as it may be, I don't have to like it.

1. Buzzcocks- "Ever Fallen in Love?": I've grown to love Magazine over the past few months, but I still haven't gotten into Buzzcocks. Nevertheless, this is quite snappy, indeed.
2. Roy Orbison- "Crying": I'm not a Roy Orbison fan, by any means, but his performance of this is quite amazing.
3. The Beatles- "Helter Skelter": The Siouxsie and the Banshees cover of this song is what elevates this above the cellar. I suppose I can tolerate rockier Beatles better than chirpy Beatles.
4. The Rolling Stones- "Street Fighting Man": I can't find much to like about this song.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 14

1. Digital Underground- "The Humpty Dance": Uh uh... do me baby! This song knows what it is, and it heads straight for the libido. A fun memory of early 90s rap that added several catchphrases to the common vernacular. It still sounds good today, which is more than most rap songs of the era can say.
2. Beastie Boys- "Sabotage": This is another fine rap song of the 90s, even if it's known more for the video than the song itself. Nevertheless, The Beasties were indeed an exciting act to follow in the 90s, culminating in the amazing "Intergalactic".
3. Muddy Waters- "Rollin' Stone": It's a shame that I have to place this third- it could have topped the previous bracket. Nonetheless, it's another great blues track.
4. Tammy Wynette- "Stand By Your Man": OK, Tammy, we get that you don't think this song is a call for women to remain doormats to their men, but rather a call for them to not focus on shortcomings. This still finishes 4th.

1. The White Stripes- "Fell in Love with a Girl": I still remember seeing the Lego video for the first time. This was quite a blast, in under 2 minutes. "Seven Nation Army" is probably their best, but this is a close second.
2. The Velvet Underground- "Pale Blue Eyes": The radical departure of the band's sound from the raucous voltage of White Light/White Heat was probably necessary and showcased that the band was indeed multi-faceted. That said, I miss the grunt of their early work when I heard their 1969 album. Still, this pastel elegance is pretty nice.
3. Simon and Garfunkel- "The Sound of Silence": The harmonies are pretty special, but I can't put this above the other two, sadly, even though this is my favorite S&G song.
4. Gene Autry- "Back in the Saddle Again": Sorry, country fans.

1. T. Rex- "Telegram Sam": Glam wonder! Yes, it sounds quite similar to "Get It On", but I think it outdoes it in terms of muggish swagger and panache.
2. Guns n' Roses- "Sweet Child o' Mine": "Paradise City" is my go-to GNR track, but this would probably come second. The guitar lick is a classic, and is recognizable from the first note. That's pretty special, as is the songwriting.
3. Naughty by Nature- "O.P.P": What is with all the early 90s rap this week?! I'm not going to complain. I'm definitely down with this song.
4. T-Bone Walker- "Call It Stormy Monday (But Tuesday Is Just as Bad)": A good song that just happens to be in the wrong bracket.

1. The Smiths- "Girlfriend in a Coma": I know it's seriously not going to contend here, but I have a warm spot for this sardonic fatalism (and everything The Smiths did in 1987, really). It's a shame that "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me" isn't included here (or on AM at all!), but The Smiths really went out with a bang.
2. Electic Six- "Danger! High Voltage": Netjade introduced this to me, and the combination of the bass octaves, heavy guitars, highly stylized vocals and that ridiculous video made it an instant classic for me.
3. Gene Chandler- "Duke of Earl": My memory of this song is largely tied to watching my older brother's best friend perform it for a school project in 8th grade. He really wound around the way Gene enunciates "Uuu-eeerrrl". Definitely not a favorite, but not an instant trigger for my gag reflex like many oldies are.
4. The Beatles- "Strawberry Fields Forever": What was that about a gag reflex? I really, really, really hate this song.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 9

1. Suicide- "Frankie Teardrop": I've just heard this for the first time. Oh my!
2. Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel- "Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)": Another song by an unknown artist for me. It's not nearly as engaging as "In C", no matter how much wikipedia tries to convince me that this song is "glam".
3. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young- "Ohio": This probably deserves more respect than I'll give it, but I just can't get into this. The guiter interplay is pretty nice, I suppose.
4. The Beatles- "Hey Jude": Often sung by drunk patrons at a bar, this makes me want to rip my hair out.

I know I'm going to be the only person here to put this one at #1, but I wanted it to have at least one first-place vote. I'm only beginning to get into minimalism, but I absolutely adore it.

Don't worry, you won't be the only one. Since you like this, check out his A Rainbow in Curved Air, as well. I'm assuming you already know about S. Reich and P. Glass as well...

sonofsamiam
I know I'm going to be the only person here to put this one at #1, but I wanted it to have at least one first-place vote. I'm only beginning to get into minimalism, but I absolutely adore it.

Don't worry, you won't be the only one. Since you like this, check out his A Rainbow in Curved Air, as well. I'm assuming you already know about S. Reich and P. Glass as well...

Oh yes, "Rainbow in Curved Air" is high on my wish list. I've already got Reich's "Drumming" (exceptional) and "Music for 18 Musicians" (also exceptional), and my only exposure to Glass is some of his movie scores. I fell in love with his music to "Koyaanisqatsi" the first time I saw the movie, and I bought his score to "The Illusionist." That second one shares a lot of musical themes with "Koyaanisqatsi," but it's still quite good.

Oh, and I forgot to mention it in my comments, but the opening to "In C" sounds a lot like the beginning of Devotchka's "How It Ends".

You've got to listen to "Glassworks". A masterpiece

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 9

1. "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" - The Four Tops [1967]

An easy winner, both for the great production, Stubbs' fantastic delivery, and that bass!

2. "Apache" - The Shadows [1960]

Cool as the other side of the pillow.

3. "Personal Jesus" - Depeche Mode [1990]

This song annoys me, especially with so many better things on Violator. It would normally be last in a bracket for me...

4. "I Will Always Love You" - Whitney Houston [1992]

A travesty of over-singing that opened the door for Celine Dion and her ilk. Absolutely ruins a fine original, forever.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 9

So awesome that this is even eligibile ... maybe the first minimalist masterpiece, and such a wonderful collision of theory meeting enjoyable reality.

2. "Back on the Chain Gang" - Pretenders [1984]

I loved this as a kid, without knowing the backstory. Once I learned it, god, what a heartbreaker this is.

3. "Music" - Madonna [2000]

Like Moonbeam, I was disappointed by both this track and its accompanying album, especially as a Ray of Light follow-up.

4. "(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock" - Bill Haley & His Comets [1956]

It sort of sucks that this is considered by so many to be the first rock hit. It's not horrible per se, but it's tracks like this that help '50s rock get marginalized in the minds of so many.

Wow, TOUGH bracket.

1. "Crying" - Roy Orbison [1961]

Roy's masterpiece to me, it's got everything that made him great.

2. "Ever Fallen in Love?" - Buzzcocks [1979]

Fantastic caffeinated pop-punk.

3. "Helter Skelter" - The Beatles [1968]

One of the few times where Paul tried to rock and made it work, mainly because he pulled out all the stops and blew off his Little Richard fetish. This is still mind-blowing today, and would be higher in many of my brackets.

4. "Street Fighting Man" - The Rolling Stones [1968]

This is certainly one of my 2 or 3 favorite tracks to be last in its bracket.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 14

Still works as a great rock song unto its own, and stands on its own even without the classic video.

2. "Rollin' Stone" - Muddy Waters [1948]

Classic blues.

3. "The Humpty Dance" - Digital Underground [1990]

Sort of a novelty still, though it sounds oddly fresher now than in 1990.

Not a bad melody, but a pretty regrettable sentiment.

1. "Pale Blue Eyes" - The Velvet Underground [1969]

Their very best song, utterly perfect, and blowing away a pretty fine bracket.

2. "The Sound of Silence" - Simon & Garfunkel [1966]

This actually holds up better than many of their hits.

3. "Fell in Love with a Girl" - The White Stripes [2001]

As opposed to "Sabotage", this isn't quite as enjoyable without its video.

Fun 'n' all, but can't compete with this group.

1. "Sweet Child o' Mine" - Guns n' Roses [1987]

The best G n' R song, a fine mix of sensitivity and rawk. Somewhat elegiac, even.

2. "Call It Stormy Monday (But Tuesday Is Just as Bad)" - T-Bone Walker [1947]

Another classic blues track.

Fine glam, though really not one of my favorites of theirs.

4. "O.P.P." - Naughty by Nature [1991]

Always annoyed me, never got what people saw in them among so many other fine early '90s hip-hop groups. Even their name is shockingly lame.

What a blah bracket.

Winner by default, though not nearly as great as it tends to be hyped.

2. "Duke of Earl" - Gene Chandler [1962]

Fun doo-wop that would be 4th in many other brackets here.

3. "Girlfriend in a Coma" - The Smiths [1987]

They have loads of better songs.

4. "Danger! High Voltage" - Electric Six [2003]

This annoyed me from day 1.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 9

A really good bracket -- these draws really are so random.

1. "Frankie Teardrop" - Suicide [1977]

Frankly terror-inducing.

2. "Ohio" - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young [1970]

Neil wrote this almost immediately after the Kent State shootings, and the raw emotion makes it work.

3. "Hey Jude" - The Beatles [1968]

Y'know, it's still a pretty great song, and the lyrics are surprisingly affecting. Of course John assumed it was about him, the narcissistic prick.

4. "Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)" - Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel [1975]

Maybe it's an English thing, but I have a hard time understanding why this lands in so many best-ever polls on that side of the pond.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 9
1 "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" - The Four Tops [1967] 4.75 : untouchable. Great Motown production (that bass line before the chorus…), great vocals, great melody
2"Apache" - The Shadows [1960] 4.5 : the mother of every other sixties instrumentals
3 "Personal Jesus" - Depeche Mode [1990] : when DM play the blues : great riff. Apache won because I really prefer the '60s sound to the 90's sound (the worse decade for sound)
4 "I Will Always Love You" - Whitney Houston [1992] : caca boudin, as my son says

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 9
1 "(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock" - Bill Haley & His Comets [1956] 5 : a true classic, another untouchable song.
2 "Back on the Chain Gang" - Pretenders [1984] : Good second. They still sounded good in 1984
3 "Music" - Madonna [2000] : there was a time when I loved this song. Now I can barely hear it. Sorry Moonbeam.
4 "In C" - Terry Riley [1965] : see where Kraftwerk took their inspiration ? I don't like intellectual music, sorry.

1 "Crying" - Roy Orbison [1961] : the singles Roy recorded between 1961 and 1964 are IMO among the most wonderful of pop/rock history.
2 "Helter Skelter" - The Beatles [1968] : the Beatles attempt at hard rock. Brilliant.
3 "Ever Fallen in Love?" - Buzzcocks [1979] : punk rock sung by a guy who can sing.
4 "Street Fighting Man" - The Rolling Stones [1968] : I don't get that song

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 14
1 "Sabotage" - Beastie Boys [1994] : full of energy, nasty, urban, powerful
12 "Stand by Your Man" - Tammy Wynette [1968] : second but only because it's a weak bracket
3 "Rollin' Stone" - Muddy Waters [1948] : I guess this song is here because it is supposed to be the inspiration for one of the most famous band's name, but it's not even true, because "Rolling Stone" was first recorded by Robert Wilkins (that the Stones worshipped) in the twenties. This is in fact a relatively mediocre version of another Delta classic, "Catfish Blues".
4 "The Humpty Dance" - Digital Underground [1990] : no comment

1 "The Sound of Silence" - Simon & Garfunkel [1966] : Untouchable again. Some people consider the post production of this song as a treason, but I really love it.
2 "Pale Blue Eyes" - The Velvet Underground [1969] : I love that album and that song
3 "Back in the Saddle Again" - Gene Autry [1939] : Great hillbilly hit of the thirties. Love that sound, but can't compete with the 2 above.
4 "Fell in Love with a Girl" - The White Stripes [2001] : good song in a good bracket

1: "Sweet Child o' Mine" - Guns n' Roses [1987] : one of my favourite songs. When rock'n roll was back, in 1987, after 10 years of punk and post-punk.
2: "O.P.P." - Naughty by Nature [1991] : good rap on a Jacksons sample
3 "Call It Stormy Monday (But Tuesday Is Just as Bad)" - T-Bone Walker [1947] : good West Coast blues, but I don't really dig West Coast blues
4 "Telegram Sam" - T. Rex [1972]

1 "Strawberry Fields Forever" - The Beatles [1967] : do I really need to comment this ? the best of the Beatles psychedelia
2 "Duke of Earl" - Gene Chandler [1962] : love doo wop when it's becoming soul music
3 "Girlfriend in a Coma" - The Smiths [1987] : the other good Smiths song (with There is a light)
4 "Danger! High Voltage" - Electric Six [2003] : not that bad

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 9
1 "Frankie Teardrop" - Suicide [1977] : Creepy, much creepier than "The End"; huge influence on Springsteen's Nebraska. I just love Suicide
2 "Hey Jude" - The Beatles [1968] : another great but this time the Beatles will take the second slot…
3 "Ohio" - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young [1970] : … and Neil Young, another hero of mine, the third !! Tough bracket…
4 "Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)" - Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel [1975]

CHOPIN 9

1. "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" - nothing to add
2. "I Will Always Love You"
3. "Personal Jesus"
4. "Apache"

VIVALDI 9

1. "(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock" - i would much rather "rock" around the clock than "in c" around the clock, which i feel like i just did. lock that thing up in a museum already!
2. "Back on the Chain Gang"
3. "Music"
4. "In C"

BEETHOVEN 6

1. "Crying" - great moment in Down by Law when Tom Waits is singing this to himself in the car right before he gets arrested
2. "Street Fighting Man"
3. "Ever Fallen in Love?"
4. "Helter Skelter"

CHOPIN 14

1. "Stand By Your Man" - and don't make no damn sloppy eggs!
2. "Rollin' Stone"
3. "The Humpty Dance"
4. "Sabotage"

BEETHOVEN 10

1. "Pale Blue Eyes" - aside from a bowel movement of a guitar solo, a perfect track
2. "Back in the Saddle Again"
3. "The Sound of Silence"
4. "Fell in Love with a Girl"

TCHAIKOVSKY 12

1. "Sweet Child o' Mine" - one of the great guitar riffs
2. "Call It Stormy Monday (But Tuesday is Just as Bad)"
3. "O.P.P"
4. "Telegram Sam"

SIBELIUS 13

1. "Girlfriend in a Coma" - i love how morrissey can write these absurd situations that are full of brutally honest emotions ("there were times when i could have strangled her, but you know i'd hate anything to happen to her")
2. "Duke of Earl"
3. "Strawberry Fields Forever"
4. "Danger! High Voltage"

MOZART 9

1. "Frankie Teardrop" - compassionate, frightening. i'll always remember the first time i heard it
2. "Ohio"
3. "Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)"
4. "Hey Jude"

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. Reach Out (I'll Be There) - This song, while simple, is really great. It's rhythm and chords are infectious.
2. I Will Always Love You
3. Apache
4. Personal Jesus

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. In C - This song is more a statement and and experiment, but it's an important one. The concept is more interesting than the end product, but I think it deserves to be recognized as an important work.
2. Back on the Chain Gang
3. (We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock
4. Music

1. Ever Fallen in Love? - Never heard this song until now, but like it a lot. Not what I expected from a song from 1979, but I like it.
2. Crying
3. Street Fighting Man
4. Helter Skelter

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 14
1. Sabotage - Gotta go with this one. Beastie Boys are fast growing on me, and this is one of their best.
2. The Humpty Dance
3. Rollin' Stone
4. Stand by Your Man

1. The Sound of Silence - Such great songwriting, both music and lyrics. Hippie music that I can actually get into.
2. Fell in Love with a Girl
3. Pale Blue Eyes
4. Back in the Saddle Again

1. Sweet Child o' Mine - Probably GNR's best song. Best lyrics of that whole album, and certainly not matched until Chinese Democracy, if then. Don't underrate it just because it's GNR.
2. Call It Stormy Monday (But Tuesday Is Just As Bad)
3. O.P.P.
4. Telegram Sam

1. Strawberry Fields Forever - Good songwriting, I see why it's so highly rated, even though I'm not a big Beatles fan.
2. Girlfriend in a Coma
3. Danger! High Voltage
4. Duke of Earl

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. Hey Jude - Easily top 5 of all the Beatles' songs. Good music and lyrics, great finishing sequence. Unforgettable song.
2. Ohio
3. Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)
4. Frankie Teardrop

CHOPIN 9
1. REACH OUT (I’LL BE THERE). I don’t feel terribly strongly about any of these four, but I see no reason not to put this one on top. One thing that’s often missed about the sixties is its “futurist” aesthetic; “Reach Out” is one of the purest examples of this.
2. PERSONAL JESUS
3. APACHE
4. I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU. I kinda wish you wouldn’t.

VIVALDI 9. It’s like these songs come from four different universes. And they’re all good.
1. ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK. I don’t know if this will advance, but it should. I imagine hipster doofuses like me will take the Pretenders (I’m very, very tempted) and some may go with “Music,” one of Madonna’s best songs. But if you strip away decades of this song being an artifact under glass (stupid George Lucas), it’s as potent and influential as it ever was. If this doesn’t belong in the top 250, what does?
2. BACK ON THE CHAIN GANG
3. MUSIC
4. IN C. I’m down with this, although I prefer Reich. (How is it that “It’s Gonna Rain” isn’t even in the top 3000?)

BEETHOVEN 6. Chalk.
1. EVER FALLEN IN LOVE? Easy winner in this group. Jaded lyrics, yearning vocals, over riffy guitars that Wire would have been proud of.
2. CRYING
3. STREET FIGHTING MAN
4. HELTER SKELTER. The bottom two here are both kind of silly.

CHOPIN 14
1. THE HUMPTY DANCE. This was the sound of rap becoming bubblegum pop, which in a way was a return to its roots. Great fun.
2. SABOTAGE. Also great fun, but it’s a notch below “Humpty” for being just a little more contrived. Great video, plus a bizarre appearance in the new Star Trek movie this year.
3. STAND BY YOUR MAN
4. ROLLIN’ STONE. Only in the top 1000 because of its title. I love Muddy, but he did much better than this.

BEETHOVEN 10
1. FELL IN LOVE WITH A GIRL. Jack will never top this. I credit this song with getting me back into music after about six years of indifference…I heard it on the radio and, well, it reminded me.
2. PALE BLUE EYES
3. THE SOUND OF SILENCE
4. BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN. Never has country sounded so much like an oompah band.

TCHAIKOVKSY 12. Good group.
1. O.P.P. Seems to be my week for kinda stupid hip-hop. I remember that a lot of the publicity this got at the time centered on the question of what this song means. I also remember thinking…really?
2. TELEGRAM SAM
3. SWEET CHILD O’ MINE
4. CALL IT STORMY MONDAY. SH2B4.

SIBELIUS 13
1. STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER. I would dispute nicolas’ claim for this as the Beatles’ best psychedelic record—for me, that’s “I Am the Walrus”—but it’s still a masterpiece. John’s imperious, and impetuous, request to George Martin to “combine” two takes which had different tempos and different keys, and Martin making it work, is still the best illustration of the band splicing fanciful whims with technical brilliance.
2. DUKE OF EARL
3. GIRLFRIEND IN A COMA
4. DANGER! HIGH VOLTAGE

MOZART 9
1. FRANKIE TEARDROP. The real deal. Stark, beautiful.
2. MAKE ME SMILE
3. HEY JUDE. Textbook example of a song that’s nice, but overinflated. Can’t remember where I read this, but for all of Noel Gallagher’s fawning hero-worship of the Beatles, it’s telling that this was the song that formed the template for his songwriting.
4. OHIO. Because it’s HIGH in the middle and WOUND at both ends! Yuk yuk yuk yuk. (Sorry, Elmer Fudd reference. I do not dig CSN.)

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 9
#36: "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" - The Four Tops [1967]
Great melodies, talented delivery.
All my friends like Depeche way more than I do.
#477: "Apache" - The Shadows [1960]
Love the twangy Western-sounding guitar.
Oversing any? At least it didn't come out today. Then it would sound over the top *and* unnecessarily computerized.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 9
#979: "In C" - Terry Riley [1965]
Ooh, minimalist jazz! Easy win in a weak bracket. With the genre comes a little excess repetition and length though.
#558: "Back on the Chain Gang" - Pretenders [1984]
Middling song by a good band.
#46: "(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock" - Bill Haley & His Comets [1956]
A song I memorized when I was ten because I was obsessed with numbers. In retrospect kinda hokey.
#467: "Music" - Madonna [2000]
Madonna once again trying way too hard to be something she's not. Mad TV parody: "My movies...make the bourgeousis want a refund!"

#705: "Street Fighting Man" - The Rolling Stones [1968]
Such a cool, engaging song. I love almost everything the Stones did for a long stretch in the late 60's and early 70's.
It is a Beatles song, and thus awesome. One of Paul's best songs, but at the same time, not one of the Beatles' best. A lot of Paul's White Album songs seem a bit too imitative.
Orbison has a great voice but his songs are a bit cheesy.
Fun British power pop, but the weakest of the group.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 14
#797: "Rollin' Stone" - Muddy Waters [1948]
After seeing It Might Get Loud I realize this is the sort of thing Jack White wishes he was. Hearing his view on minimialist music gives me a greater appreciation of this sort of thing. He'd have it winning this block, and so do I.
#228: "Sabotage" - Beastie Boys [1994]
Beasties are a band where I don't like any of their albums but I love many of their singles, particulary their later ones. This is an example of an awesome Beasties song.
Another song that forces me to stifle my modern social morays. Great voice, great country instrumentals.
Seriously? I rememeber this as being #500 in the 'MTV 500' in 1997 or so. It seemed like a music video novelty.

The song that brought emotional rawness back to rock.
Their ability to harmonize is unmatched. An amazing folk song, and something I'd consider for a personal top 100 songs. It sucks that it winds up in the same bracket as Fell In Love.
More Lou Reed awesomeness that would win half the brackets this week for me. Love those little off key moments that set the emotional tone of the song.
CHEEEEEESE!

#91: "Sweet Child o' Mine" - Guns n' Roses [1987]
Easily in my top five of the 80's. Incredible riff, emotionally poignant singing.
#934: "Call It Stormy Monday (But Tuesday Is Just as Bad)" - T-Bone Walker [1947]
Another song I would have loved to put as #1 if not for it's competition. It's got an awesome jazzy mellowness that instantly relaxes you.
#603: "Telegram Sam" - T. Rex [1972]
Cool old school sounding rock song.
Fun rap song.

Seriously? This song, against those three songs? On this forum?!
#1008: "Girlfriend in a Coma" - The Smiths [1987]
Not one of the Smiths' best songs, but better than all songs in this bracket that aren't Strawberry Fields Forever.
#529: "Danger! High Voltage" - Electric Six [2003]
Good guitar, bad vocals. But it doesn't mater, because it's against Strawberry Fields Forever.
A little cheesy and way too hooky, but well performed. But it doesn't matter, because it's against Strawberry Fields Forever.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 9
#547: "Ohio" - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young [1970]
Great melody and harmonies. One of the many Young-involved songs responding to those college kids who got murdered by police for being too weird.
#990: "Frankie Teardrop" - Suicide [1977]
Weird-ass minimalist punk song with a freaky narrative.
#478: "Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)" - Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel [1975]
Not bad. I like the instrumentals, but the vocals are a little offputting.
#35: "Hey Jude" - The Beatles [1968]
Ever notice when Paul sings this at a concert he has that look on his face like "Hey audience? Yeah, I'm PLAYING IT!" I don't know if this song was originally written with that Pavlovian response in mind, but it's sure what it became.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" - The Four Tops [1967]: One of Motown’s all-time greatest – perfect arrangement, perfect production, better-than-perfect Levi Stubbs performance. As deserving of the term “masterpiece” as any recording ever made.
2. "Apache" - The Shadows [1960]: One of the very best from the golden age of the rock ‘n’ roll instrumental, and a template for many that would follow.
3. "Personal Jesus" - Depeche Mode [1990]: If I was a bigger fan of DM in general I would probably have this at #2, because this is easily my favorite of theirs.
4. "I Will Always Love You" - Whitney Houston [1992]: I can understand why this was so overwhelmingly popular, but it’s just not my thing.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. "Back on the Chain Gang" - Pretenders [1984]: A moving single with a superb Byrdsy arrangement, brilliant use of the signature grunts from the earlier Sam Cooke song, and that breathtaking transition from the bridge back to the last verse.
2. "In C" - Terry Riley [1965]: I love that “Frankie Teardrop” doesn’t even come close to being this week’s longest selection. I’m basing this vote on the recently reissued original 42-minute recording, although this is another instance where it seems faintly silly to have this “song” in competition with more typical pop singles. A magnificent, formidable work.
3. "Music" - Madonna [2000]: Just a lot of fun to listen to, even though I’m still trying to figure out in what universe “the rebel” even comes close to rhyming with “together.” Bonus points for using “bourgeoisie,” though.
4. "(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock" - Bill Haley & His Comets [1956]: Obviously hugely influential, but terribly dated and overexposed out the proverbial wazoo. If I never hear it again I won’t miss it.

1. "Helter Skelter" - The Beatles [1968]: This is essentially Paul trying way too hard to prove he can rock as hard as John – it’s a pop craftsman’s idea of what a hard rock song is “supposed” to sound like. The genius of the Beatles is that it works on its own terms anyway, and to say that it “works” is a gross understatement. (Ringo and his blisters deserve a lot of the credit.)
2. "Crying" - Roy Orbison [1961]: Possibly the most succinct encapsulation of everything that made the Big O a great artist – simultaneously elegant and anguished, culminating in that stunning long final note.
3. "Ever Fallen in Love?" - Buzzcocks [1979]: What an incredible bracket this is! Any of these four songs could take #1 in a lot of other groupings. The Buzzcocks were the essence of pop-flavored punk, and this song represents the essence of the Buzzcocks, right up to that last-second key change.
4. "Street Fighting Man" - The Rolling Stones [1968]: #4 only by default. Those chugging acoustics create a uniquely driving rhythm underscoring an unusually tight arrangement; the music is so strong and enduring that it’s far outlived the dated lyrics.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 14
1. "Sabotage" - Beastie Boys [1994]: A gloriously clattering mess of punky aggression. Is it the best Beasties track? Far from it. Would it be #1 (even in this relatively weak bracket) without Spike Jonze’s classic video? Probably not. Can you help cranking this MF up whenever it comes on? I sure can’t.
2. "The Humpty Dance" - Digital Underground [1990]: Possibly the funniest hip-hop single ever, and one of the most gloriously smutty – my memory is a little hazy, but I’m almost positive that even “in a 69 my humpty nose’ll tickle your rear” managed to get through without benefit of a radio edit.
3. "Rollin' Stone" - Muddy Waters [1948]: I can’t get into a lot of early blues, but I respect it.
4. "Stand by Your Man" - Tammy Wynette [1968]: It’s been parodied and attacked and deconstructed so many times that it’s impossible to listen to strictly on its own terms. It’s a wonderfully sung and arranged slice of ‘60s Nashville country-pop, but, again, not my cup of self-loathing.

1. "Pale Blue Eyes" - The Velvet Underground [1969]: One of Lou Reed’s very best songs, with simple but unforgettably vivid imagery and a gently rolling rhythm unlike almost anything else.
2. "Fell in Love with a Girl" - The White Stripes [2001]: Almost certainly the first exposure most people had to the Jack White aesthetic (again, through an instant-classic video, this one by Michel Gondry) – two impossibly tight minutes of blissful old-school rock ‘n’ roll fun.
3. "The Sound of Silence" - Simon & Garfunkel [1966]: The amazing thing about Tom Wilson’s overdubs is how tasteful and restrained they are; the electric band simply underscores and accentuates Paul’s arresting (if self-consciously poetic) lyrics rather than competing with them, with timeless results.
4. "Back in the Saddle Again" - Gene Autry [1939]: Fun, but way, way out of its depth here.

1. "Sweet Child o' Mine" - Guns n' Roses [1987]: An easy #1. THE great hard-rock single of the Eighties, and one of the best ever. Not much more that needs to be said here, except “all hail Slash!”
2. "Telegram Sam" - T. Rex [1972]: Another typically first-rate product of the early-‘70s Marc Bolan unstoppable hit machine, but no match for best tracks on ELECTRIC WARRIOR.
3. "Call It Stormy Monday (But Tuesday Is Just as Bad)" - T-Bone Walker [1947]: More early blues, with fascinating chord changes and, of course, brilliant guitar work. I do prefer the slow-burning Allmans FILLMORE EAST version, though.
4. "O.P.P." - Naughty by Nature [1991]: More fun, smutty old-school hip-hop, most interesting for the way it managed to unambiguously get “pussy” and “penis” on the radio without actually using the words themselves.

1. "Strawberry Fields Forever" - The Beatles [1967]: Another easy #1, at least for me. As everyone probably knows, this is one of the great accidental masterpieces, literally spliced together from two recordings with entirely different arrangements, with pre-Pro Tools speed adjustments to make the tempos match. That the final result is all of one glorious, mind-effin’ piece is testament to Lennon’s overall vision of the song and, more so, to the impossible-to-overestimate genius of George Martin.
2. "Duke of Earl" - Gene Chandler [1962]: Early Chicago soul with a touch of late-era doo-wop; as is true of so many classic singles, the brilliant multiple hooks – heard once, never forgotten – make irrelevant the fact that the lyrics make no sense whatsoever.
3. "Danger! High Voltage" - Electric Six [2003]: This is a great week for songs with wildly original videos. I had never seen the outlandishly perverse video for this catchy but kind-of-irritatingly jokey song (“fire in the Taco Bell,” indeed) before this week, but it’s sure as hell embedded in my brain forever now.
4. "Girlfriend in a Coma" - The Smiths [1987]: A good song, to be sure, but not one of their very best. I suspect it ranks as high as it does primarily because of its title.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. "Ohio" - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young [1970]: Maybe not rock’s greatest protest song – that was “Fortunate Son” a few weeks back – but certainly the bluntest and most anguished. Young and Stills’s guitars slash and burn, and Stills’s sorrowful howls during the fade can still freeze the blood.
2. "Frankie Teardrop" - Suicide [1977]: I always forget just how powerful this extended track is, probably because I want to – it may very well be the most frightening piece of music ever recorded. Alan Vega’s harrowing, louder-than-piercing screams – the timing of which I can never quite remember, kind of like how I can never quite pinpoint the exact moment when Martin Balsam’s going to get it when I watch PSYCHO – are what everyone recalls, of course, but Martin Rev’s subway-tunnel sound effects are actually even more dread-inducing. It falls short of #1 because of the way Vega overreaches at the very end – I doubt even he really believes that “we’re all Frankies.”
3. "Hey Jude" - The Beatles [1968]: I never thought I’d rank the Beatles’ biggest hit this low in any bracket, but there you go. It’s certainly no reflection on my feelings about the song, particularly McCartney’s deranged improvs during the coda. (This bracket seems to have a weird motif of unhinged vocal performances.)
4. "Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)" - Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel [1975]: Gives new meaning to the phrase “out of its league.” Maybe I’d feel different if I was English.

You've got about 36 hours left to vote. Go, go, go!

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. Four Tops - Reach Out I'll Be There
- An amazing song. One of the best I've ever heard.

2. Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus
- I saw Depeche Mode live a couple of years ago. Recorded this one on my cellphone. It sounds like this: Krkkrkrrkrkkrkrkrkrkrkkrrkrkkkrkr. But in reality the song sounded fantastic. They're a great band, better than The Four Tops, but they have to lose here.

3. The Shadows - Apache
- Fun tune.

4. Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You
- A beautiful song. It should have been higher, but this was a strong bracket. Had it been the Dolly version, I'd pushed it up to third position.[1992]

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. Terry Riley - In C
- This was a very, very weak bracket. I pretty much can't stand listening to this noise, but it gets the nod because of the crazy idea, and of course the crap songs that litter this bracket.

2. Pretenders - Back on the Chain Gang
- I'm no big Pretenders fan. This would easily have ended last in most brackets.

3. Bill Haley - Rock Around the Clock
- It is pretty outdated. Historical value of course, but that's all.

4. Madonna - Music
- How the hell does Madonna get so many songs into this game?

1. Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen in Love?
- It has got such a great drive to it. This was one of my first meetings with punk rock, except for Sex Pistols. It was on a compilation album I bought for next to nothing, and I fell in love with it immediately. Some bonehead stole it though.

2. The Beatles - Helter Skelter
- One of the best Beatles songs. And if you play it backwards you can hear: "Paul McCartney's songs were as good or better than John Lennon's."

3. Rolling Stones - Street Fighting Man
- Not my favorite Stones song, but still quite good.

4. Roy Orbison - Crying
- Roy Orbison has a weird voice, which I both like and dislike. When he died I got very sad, but I really don't know why. I was only 8 or so, and had only heard You Got It. For the most part, I think Roy Orbison has a greater appeal to my mother than me, and this goes for this song.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 14
1. Beastie Boys - Sabotage
- They are trying so hard to be cool, it's a wonder they can pull it off. It's a party starter, and if the video's on as well, you know where the evening is heading.

2. Tammy Wynette - Stand By Your Man
- Not a song played at feminists meeting. The song is pleasant to listen to, and I think she raises some important issues. After all, I'm just a man.

3. Muddy Waters - Rollin' Stone
- It's ok, but not my stuff.

4. Digital Underground - The Humpty Dance
- I like quite a lot of the old rap songs, but not this one.

1. Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence
- I love the movie The Graduate, in which this song is used several times. I get a warm feeling in my body every time I watch it, and it starts it Dustin Hoffman walking in the airport. Beautiful song outside the movie too, of course.

2. The Velvet Underground - Pale Blue Eyes
- Magnificent song as well. Hard time choosing the winner here.

3. The White Stripes - Fell in Love With a Girl
- Great band, annoying song.

4. Gene Autry - Back in the Saddle Again
- Cowboy music isn't really my thing, even though it sounds fun in a haha kind of way.

1. Guns N Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
- It's from a great album, but this song was never a favorite of mine. I much prefer both Welcome to the Jungle and in particular Paradise City. Still best in a weak group.

2. T-Bone Walker - Call It Stormy Monday
- Not my cup of tea. Haven't got much to say about it, really.

3. T.Rex - Telegram Sam
- Yeah, well.. It doesn't give me much, but I guess I can stand it.

4. Naughty By Nature - O.P.P.
- This was when hip hop started to be uninteresting, in my opinion.

1. The Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever
- A beautiful Beatles song. Lennon wrote quite good songs too.

2. Electric Six - Danger! High Voltage!
- It is one of the funniest songs ever. Amazingly a lot of people still haven't heard it, so I still surprise people with it now and again.

3. The Smiths - Girlfriend in a Coma
- The Smiths were a great group, and made a lot of astonishing songs, but this is just so and so.

4. Gene Chandler - Duke of Earl
- Stupid song. Never liked it.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 9
Not voting here (not yet, at least), as I can't remember how Ohio and Frankie Teardrop sounds like.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 9
#36: "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" - The Four Tops [1967] : one of the best Motown songs, which is not an easy thing to achieve. Gives me one more reason to hate Claude François.
#477: "Apache" - The Shadows [1960] : sounds cool in a western movie, not that much out of it

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 9
don't care about any of the songs and don't have the courage to listen to In C in full...

BEETHOVEN BLOC, BRACKET 6 : tough bracket, 3 wonderful songs too different to be compared on an objective basis. Buzzcocks fights in my favourite category of the 3, that's the main reason why it takes the 1st place
#705: "Street Fighting Man" - The Rolling Stones [1968] : good song but sounds too much like a "generic RS song"

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 14
#228: "Sabotage" - Beastie Boys [1994] : I'm a BBoys fan, still I'm a bit tired of this song (that said, it might make my top 200 list anyway... too fun to dismiss)
#797: "Rollin' Stone" - Muddy Waters [1948] : haven't we already voted for this one on the past weeks ?

#91: "Sweet Child o' Mine" - Guns n' Roses [1987] : seems like there is not a single second in that song where Slash does not add a subtlety to the guitar line, one of the best ever. And for once great guitar is supported by original songwriting and a whole band at their best. Not that many song can be both a stadium anthem and a romantic ballad. Plus the lyrics are not as bad as in most hair metal of the 80s.
#603: "Telegram Sam" - T. Rex [1972] : I do like T.Rex but I feel like it is not Bolan's best tracks that get the acclaim

#529: "Danger! High Voltage" - Electric Six [2003] : still as fun as 6 years ago, even though it does not provide much more than just fun
#1008: "Girlfriend in a Coma" - The Smiths [1987] : I always feel like hearing an 80s TV cartoon theme... maybe because the intro seems to be the one of "Jeanne & Serge" (a cartoon about a girl who plays volley) but the whole song gives me that feeling

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 9
#547: "Ohio" - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young [1970] : best surprise of the week
#990: "Frankie Teardrop" - Suicide [1977] : creepy is a weak word
#35: "Hey Jude" - The Beatles [1968] : might have been my number one if it was 3 minutes shorter
#478: "Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)" - Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel [1975] : 11 points on the 1975s poll...

Nassim: as it is, I can't accept your ballot for the Beethoven 10 or Sibelius 13 brackets. The first bracket doesn't have any comments, and the second doesn't have any for the #1 song. If you leave some comments in the next 12-1/2 hours, I'll accept them.

Okay, time for an update on the scores. With just under 12 hours left to vote, we have...

...4 blowouts.
...a bracket where first and third are separated by five points.
...a bracket where first and third are separated by three points.
...a bracket where first and second are separated by two points.
...a bracket where first and second are tied.

As you can tell, a lot is still up for grabs. So if you haven't voted yet, be sure and do so!

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. "Reach Out (I'll Be There)"
2. "Personal Jesus" - Depeche Mode [1990]
3. "Apache" - The Shadows [1960]

Fairly weak bracket for me with Reach Out being an obvious first. I despise that Whitney Houston song.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. "(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock" - Bill Haley & His Comets [1956]
2. "Back on the Chain Gang" - Pretenders [1984]
3. "In C" - Terry Riley [1965]
4. "Music" - Madonna [2000]

Again, another bracket where I have no real loves, I gotta give it to the historically important rock around the clock.

1. "Helter Skelter" - The Beatles [1968]
2. "Crying" - Roy Orbison [1961]
3. "Street Fighting Man" - The Rolling Stones [1968]
4. "Ever Fallen in Love?" - Buzzcocks [1979]

Each one of the first three songs would've have won the previous two brackets. I've always loved Helter Skelter... I'll take it over Yesterday any day.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 14
2. "Rollin' Stone" - Muddy Waters [1948]
3. "The Humpty Dance" - Digital Underground [1990]

The most recognizable riff of the 90s is on a beastie boys song of all places! A better Muddy song could've won the bracket, but of his work I think Rollin' Stone is middle of the road.

1. "Fell in Love with a Girl" - The White Stripes [2001]
2. "Pale Blue Eyes" - The Velvet Underground [1969]
3. "The Sound of Silence" - Simon & Garfunkel [1966]

Pretty agonizing choice, what with a brilliant VU song and the absurdly great Fell in Love with a Girl. Pale Blue Eyes is better written, but Fell in Love fufills the artist's criterion of perfectly capturing a moment, and then making it move again.

1. "Call It Stormy Monday (But Tuesday Is Just as Bad)" - T-Bone Walker [1947]
2. Sweet Child o' Mine" - Guns n' Roses [1987]
3. "O.P.P." - Naughty by Nature [1991]
4. "Telegram Sam" - T. Rex [1972]

I love the Guns n' Roses song, but not as much as the original electric blues standard.

2. "Girlfriend in a Coma" - The Smiths [1987]
3. "Danger! High Voltage" - Electric Six [2003]
4. "Duke of Earl" - Gene Chandler [1962]

Strawberry Fields Forever is a good example of why Goerge Martin is considered by many to be the greatest producer, and why The Beatles are considered by many to be the greatest band. John supplies the creative vision, and George Martin makes it perfectly realized.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. "Frankie Teardrop" - Suicide [1977]
2. "Hey Jude" - The Beatles [1968]
3. "Ohio" - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young [1970]
4. "Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)" - Steve
Harley & Cockney Rebel [1975]

I hadn't listened to Suicide prior to a month ago, but come the '77 poll I decided it would be the first album I would check out. And Wow. If the goal of music is to make you feel, anything at all, than this has to rank among the most powerful songs of all time.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. "Personal Jesus" - Depeche Mode [1990] Depeche Mode as it's most rock and most funk too.
2. "Apache" - The Shadows [1960]
3. "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" - The Four Tops [1967]

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 9

1. "In C" - Terry Riley [1965] I have waited this. Finally it's time of In C in bracketology. I don't know why critics have voted this in songs polls (and not in album polls). An interesting sound experiment and much more.
2. "Back on the Chain Gang" - Pretenders [1984] I don't know have I listened too much music from 70's or what is the reason that songs from 80's sounds so great. The song is maybe better than any song from Rumours. Chrissie Hynde rocks.
3. "Music" - Madonna [2000]
4. "(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock" - Bill Haley & His Comets [1956]

BEETHOVEN BLOC, BRACKET 6 Good brakcet.
1. "Ever Fallen in Love?" - Buzzcocks [1979] Rock n' roll.
2. "Helter Skelter" - The Beatles [1968] One the favourite McCartney song (and one of the favourites in White Album)
3. "Street Fighting Man" - The Rolling Stones [1968] One the favourite Stones song.
4. "Crying" - Roy Orbison [1961]

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 14
1. "Sabotage" - Beastie Boys [1994] The best rap song ever (if this is rap). The best musicvideo. Pure nostalgia. Reminds me times when MTV showed music videos (and even good ones).
2. "Stand by Your Man" - Tammy Wynette [1968]
3. "Rollin' Stone" - Muddy Waters [1948]
4. "The Humpty Dance" - Digital Underground [1990] If sabotage is my favourite hip hop song. This is closer to bottom than top.

BEETHOVEN BLOC, BRACKET 10 Hard to put in order. The gap between #1 and #4 is negligible .
1. "The Sound of Silence" - Simon & Garfunkel [1966] Simon & Garfunkel have so many classic songs which I've known since I was born. And still they sound good.
2. "Fell in Love with a Girl" - The White Stripes [2001]
3. "Pale Blue Eyes" - The Velvet Underground [1969]

1. "Sweet Child o' Mine" - Guns n' Roses [1987] Guns n' Roses were the first rock band I listened. The guitar solo in the beginning is one of the most nostalgic and one of the best. There should be Slash smiley in the smileys.
2. "O.P.P." - Naughty by Nature [1991]
4. "Call It Stormy Monday (But Tuesday Is Just as Bad)" - T-Bone Walker [1947]

1. "Girlfriend in a Coma" - The Smiths [1987] The contrast between the light weight melody and the lyrics makes this absurd. The way Morrissey sings this makes it also funny.
2. "Strawberry Fields Forever" - The Beatles [1967]
3. "Duke of Earl" - Gene Chandler [1962]
4. "Danger! High Voltage" - Electric Six [2003]

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. "Frankie Teardrop" - Suicide [1977] Pure horror.
2. "Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)" - Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel [1975]
3. "Hey Jude" - The Beatles [1968]
4. "Ohio" - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young [1970]

I don't think I'm going to get time at work tonight to get my votes in.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 9
1 - "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" - The Four Tops [1967]
2 - "Personal Jesus" - Depeche Mode [1990]
3 - "Apache" - The Shadows [1960]
4 - "I Will Always Love You" - Whitney Houston [1992]
Pretty average bracket. Fan of 'I'll Be There',one of my favourite soul songs,the other 3 aren't particular favourites,'I Will Always Love You' raises an eyebrow that it is ranked this high...

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET
1 - "(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock" - Bill Haley & His Comets [1956]
2 - "Back on the Chain Gang" - Pretenders [1984]
3 - "In C" - Terry Riley [1965]
4 - "Music" - Madonna [2000]
It's gotta be 'Rock Around The Clock' here. It's probably between it and 'That'll Be The Day' for my favourite 50s song. Not exactly a huge Pretenders fan,but 'Back On The Chain Gang' is a great track. Don't really understand the appeal of 'In C' too well,nor in fact 'Music'.

1 - "Ever Fallen in Love?" - Buzzcocks [1979]
2 - "Crying" - Roy Orbison [1961]
3 - "Street Fighting Man" - The Rolling Stones [1968]
4 - "Helter Skelter" - The Beatles [1968]
The Buzzcocks win this easily - one of the greatest moments of the punk movement. Brilliant song and vocals from Roy Orbison on 'Crying',would have won many other brackets. 'Street Fighting Man' is seriously overrated,not one of their best moments although for a lesser band it would be a career highlight. 'Helter Skelter' is the Beatles' attempt at hard rock that falls short of the mark. I would be slightly embarrassed if it ended up winning here.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 14
1 - "Sabotage" - Beastie Boys [1994]
2 - "Rollin' Stone" - Muddy Waters [1948]
3 - "Stand by Your Man" - Tammy Wynette [1968]
4 - "The Humpty Dance" - Digital Underground [1990]
This bracket is ridiculously weak. The powerful 'Sabotage' blows the rest away. A lot of those blues songs are sort of interchangeable,but 'Rollin' Stone' is OK I guess. The other 2 I absolutely can't stand.

1 - "The Sound of Silence" - Simon & Garfunkel [1966]
2 - "Pale Blue Eyes" - The Velvet Underground [1969]
3 - "Fell in Love with a Girl" - The White Stripes [2001]
4 - "Back in the Saddle Again" - Gene Autry [1939]
Pretty tough choice,2 really well written songs. S&G just over the Velvets. I like the White Stripes,but I've never been able to get in behind 'Fell In Love With A Girl' all that much. 'Back In The Saddle' - average.

1 - "Sweet Child o' Mine" - Guns n' Roses [1987]
2 - "Telegram Sam" - T. Rex [1972]
3 - "Call It Stormy Monday (But Tuesday Is Just as Bad)" - T-Bone Walker [1947]
4 - "O.P.P." - Naughty by Nature [1991]
Another weak bracket. 'Sweet Child O'Mine' wins by default,easily their best song. 'Telegram Sam' is not even one of the best Bolan did. 'Call It Stormy Monday' is a decent track,'OPP' not so much...

1 - "Strawberry Fields Forever" - The Beatles [1967]
2 - "Girlfriend in a Coma" - The Smiths [1987]
3 - "Duke of Earl" - Gene Chandler [1962]
4 - "Danger! High Voltage" - Electric Six [2003]
I probably listen to 'Girlfriend In A Coma',one of the Smiths most beautiful songs,a whole lot more than 'Strawberry Fields Forever'. But there's no doubt the Beatles take this one with one of their better achievements. 'Duke Of Earl' can get a little boring,'Danger High Voltage' is annoying.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 9
1 - "Hey Jude" - The Beatles [1968]
2 - "Frankie Teardrop" - Suicide [1977]
3 - "Ohio" - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young [1970]
4 - "Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)" - Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel [1975]
Well,I guess 'Hey Jude' has to be overall the best written Beatles song,musically and lyrically,therefore it wins. 'Frankie Teardrop' didn't really scare me or affect me that much to be honest,but I can see it's appeal. 'Ohio' a classic,a song I always think of as one of the defining songs of the era. 'Make Me Smile' is pretty MOR,but it's not bad...

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 9
1.  "Reach Out (I'll Be There)"
2. "Personal Jesus" 
3. "I Will Always Love You"
4. "Apache"
First two songs are both great. Reach Out is simply one of the best soul songs ever. The other two are a little worse than mediocre.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 9
1.  "Music"
2. "(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock"
3. "Back on the Chain Gang"
4. "In C"
Music is the only strong track in this bracket so it wins since it is the non annoying Madonna. Rock around the Clock may have come before a lot of stuff, but that doesn't stop it from sounding bland. Back on the Chain Gang is a little worse and I listened to In C for 15 minutes and almost slept.

1. "Crying"
2. "Helter Skelter" 
3.  "Street Fighting Man" 
4. "Ever Fallen in Love?"
No bad songs here with Crying being the best song I know that is both beautiful and depressing. The last half of the song Roy hits the vocals and lyrics out of the park. Helter Skelter is the Beatles at their hardest, but not best and Street Fighting Man is an above average Stones track. First time hearing Ever Fallen in Love and it seems good.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 14
1."Stand by Your Man"
2. "Sabotage"
3.  "Rollin' Stone" 
4. "The Humpty Dance"
Weak Bracket. I don't love any tracks here, but Stand by your man has the best moment in the bracket with Tammy belting the title. Other than that Sabotage and Rollin' Stone are decent and The Humpty Dance is not.

1. "Pale Blue Eyes"
2. "The Sound of Silence
3. "Fell in Love with a Girl"
4. "Back in the Saddle Again"
The first two songs are the most beautiful songs by their respective artists. The Velvets are first because I like them a lot more even though it could go either way. Fell in Love with a Girl is a third great song that finally made them big. Their is no comparison to the fourth song.

1. "Sweet Child o' Mine"
2. "Telegram Sam" 
3. "Call It Stormy Monday (But Tuesday Is Just as Bad)"
4.  "O.P.P."
I wish I was scrobbling on lastfm longer than I have because i would love to know how many times I have heard Sweet Child o' Mine. It is easily my most listened to song. This song started me buying albums, was listened to throughout my first relationship and I still think it is excellent. No song comes close to influence on my music listening habits and tastes. Without Slash this song wouldn't exist, but Axl saw a possible gimmick and turned the awesome riff into a heartfelt and sincere song. Nothing else compares, but Telegram Sam is a blast and O.P.P. Is fun as well. Call it Stormy Monday is beautiful though.

1. "Strawberry Fields Forever" 
2. "Girlfriend in a Coma"
3. "Danger! High Voltage"
4. "Duke of Earl" 
The Beatles win by defualt with one of their strongest songs. Girlfriend in a Coma is a long line of songs by the Smiths that I are very good and I need to make some time to re listen to some of their albums. Danger! High Voltage is also a great song that I like how it doesn't take itself too seriously. Duke of Earl is a little repetitive.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. "Hey Jude"
2. "Frankie Teardrop"
3. "Ohio" 
4. "Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)
Again a strong Beatles track is first with the ending that many bands have tried to redo, but Frankie Teardrop is another great song that could have won a bracket or two with its great mood and general sound. Ohio is an angry good song and Make me Smile is decent with good enough vocals.

Voting for this week is now over. Results will be posted as soon as I get everything totalled up.

RESULTS

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" - The Four Tops (57 points, 13 first-place votes)
2. "Personal Jesus" - Depeche Mode (41, 2)
3. "Apache" - The Shadows (30, 0)
4. "I Will Always Love You" - Whitney Houston (22, 0)

This one was all about the Four Tops. Only two ballots did not have the Tops in the top spot, and as a result, "Reach Out" moves into the second round in a blowout. The Shadows and Whitney Houston are done after their first and only bracket, but Depeche Mode still has "Just Can't Get Enough" in the running.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. "Back on the Chain Gang" - Pretenders (42, 2)
2. "In C" - Terry Riley (38, 6)
3. "(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock" - Bill Haley & His Comets (36, 5)
4. "Music" - Madonna (24, 1)

Never underestimate the importance of a second-place vote. "Back on the Chain Gang" only got two first-place votes (compare that to Terry Riley's 6 and Bill Haley's 5), but the Pretenders took second place in ten of the fourteen ballots. This was enough to give them a four-point win and put them into the second round where they will face "Genius of Love" by Tom Tom Club. Madonna continues her losing streak, as she is now oh-for-five in the first round, though she still has seven more chances to advance. Terry Riley and Bill Haley are both out.

1. "Crying" - Roy Orbison (43, 4)
2. "Ever Fallen in Love?" - Buzzcocks (41, 7)
3. "Helter Skelter" - The Beatles (38, 3)
4. "Street Fighting Man" - The Rolling Stones (28, 1)

As I said, never underestimate the importance of the second-place vote. Roy Orbison only got four first-place votes, but took second in seven of the remaining 11 ballots. Buzzcocks kept it close all week, and even led late this week. But this literally came down to the last ballot, as "Crying" went ahead on the last ballot. Orbison will face Steely Dan's "Reelin' in the Years" in Round 2. The Stones are now one-for-three in the first round, while the Beatles are six-for-eight. Buzzcocks still have two more chances to advance.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 14
1. "Sabotage" - Beastie Boys (53, 10)
2. "Rollin' Stone" - Muddy Waters (34, 1)
3. "The Humpty Dance" - Digital Underground (33, 2)
4. "Stand by Your Man" - Tammy Wynette (32, 2)

In the second big blowout of the week, Beastie Boys push "Sabotage" past its competition and into the second round. No other song in this bracket could form a serious competition to the Boys, and "Sabotage" wins by a whopping 19 points. Tammy Wynette and the Digital Underground are gone after one bracket, and Muddy Waters is now oh-for-one with three chances remaining.

1. "Pale Blue Eyes" - The Velvet Underground (43, 4)
2. "The Sound of Silence" - Simon & Garfunkel (41, 5)
3. "Fell in Love with a Girl" - The White Stripes (39, 5)
4. "Back in the Saddle Again" - Gene Autry (17, 0)

Another very close bracket, as the Velvet Underground squeaks past its competition. "Pale Blue Eyes" led for most of the week, then had to hold off a late charge by "The Sound of Silence" before it ultimately claimed victory here. Simon & Garfunkel are now one-for-three in the first round with "Bridge Over Troubled Water" still left. The White Stripes finish the first round one-for-two, as "Seven Nation Army" has already advanced to the second round. Gene Autry will ride off into the sunset; his turn in Bracketology is over.

1. "Sweet Child o' Mine" - Guns n' Roses (53, 11)
2. "Call It Stormy Monday (But Tuesday Is Just as Bad)" - T-Bone Walker (35, 1)
3. "O.P.P." - Naughty by Nature (31, 2)
4. "Telegram Sam" - T. Rex (31, 1)

In the third runaway of the week, Guns n' Roses rides into the second round in grand style, winning by eighteen points. T. Rex loses in its first bracket of the tournament, but there are still three chances for Marc Bolan and co. to advance. T-Bone Walker and Naughty by Nature are gone.

1. "Strawberry Fields Forever" - The Beatles (50, 11)
2. "Girlfriend in a Coma" - The Smiths (37, 3)
3. "Duke of Earl" - Gene Chandler (29, 0)
4. "Danger! High Voltage" - Electric Six (24, 0)

The final blowout this week belongs to the Beatles, as "Strawberry Fields Forever" becomes the seventh track by the Fab Four to advance to Round 2. With that, the Beatles move back into first place in terms of most songs in the second round. "Strawberry Fields Forever" will face Simon & Garfunkel's "The Boxer" and Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Fortunate Son" in the second round. The Smiths are now one-for-three in the first round, but Gene Chandler and Electric Six are gone after only one bracket.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 9
1. "Frankie Teardrop" - Suicide (45, 7)
2. "Ohio" - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (38, 3)
3. "Hey Jude" - The Beatles (35, 4)
4. "Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)" - Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel (22, 0)

Last week, Bob Dylan's "Mr. Tambourine Man" became (at #920) the lowest-rated song to advance to the second round. That record is broken only one week later as Suicide (at #990) defeats its competition to move into Round 2. For a while, CSNY made it very close, even coming within one point. But the last few ballots put "Frankie Teardrop" through. The Beatles are now seven-for-ten in the first round, but Steve Harley is gone. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young as an entity are done, but the individual members still have other projects in the running: Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth" and Neil Young's "Heart of Gold."

I'm going to have to post the statistics in the morning. I need to get to sleep.

Crap, I would have pushed the Buzzcocks and Simon and Garfunkel into the second round. I'll get my vote in earlier next week... it's been crazy at work lately.

Matt Schroeder
I'm going to have to post the statistics in the morning. I need to get to sleep.

Thanks, Matt!

I didn't vote this week because of time and the fact that I wasn't crazy about most of the songs, but my vote would have led "Ever Fallen in Love?" to the second round. I am glad that "Pale Blue Eyes" was able to defeat a tough bracket without my helping hand.

As promised, here are your...

STATISTICS

TOP TWENTY BEST-PERFORMING SONGS

1. "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay" - Otis Redding (3.905 points per ballot)
2. "Good Vibrations" - The Beach Boys (3.9)
3. "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (3.882)
4. "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" - The Four Tops (3.8)
5. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nirvana (3.778)
6. "All Along the Watchtower" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (3.75)
7. "You Really Got Me" - The Kinks (3.7)
8. "Crazy" - Gnarls Barkley (3.667) tie
8. "Georgia on My Mind" - Ray Charles (3.667) tie
10. "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast (3.65)
11. "'Heroes'" - David Bowie (3.611)
12. "Living for the City" - Stevie Wonder (3.588)
13. "Strawberry Fields Forever" - The Beatles (3.571) tie
13. "London Calling" - The Clash (3.571) tie
13. "Tomorrow Never Knows" - The Beatles (3.571) tie
16. "Heroin" - The Velvet Underground (3.556)
17. "Sweet Child o' Mine" - Guns n' Roses (3.533) tie
17. "Sabotage" - Beastie Boys (3.533) tie
19. "A Day in the Life" - The Beatles (3.529)
20. "Changes" - David Bowie (3.5)

TOP TWENTY WORST-PERFORMING SONGS

1. "Chime" - Orbital (1.176)
2. "Back in the Saddle Again" - Gene Autry (1.214)
3. "Donna" - Ritchie Valens (1.333)
4. "You're No Good" - Linda Ronstadt (1.35)
5. "Just the Way You Are" - Billy Joel (1.353)
6. "I Want It That Way" - Backstreet Boys (1.4)
7. "The Only One I Know" - The Charlatans (1.412)
8. "It's Too Soon to Know" - The Orioles (1.45)
9. "I Will Always Love You" - Whitney Houston (1.467)
10. "Crazy Arms" - Ray Price (1.474)
11. "Hot Stuff" - Donna Summer (1.529) tie
11. "Dry Your Eyes" - The Streets (1.529) tie
13. "Up on the Roof" - The Drifters (1.55)
14. "Hounds of Love" - The Futureheads (1.556)
15. "Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)" - Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel (1.571)
16. "Yeah!" - Usher (Featuring Lil' Jon & Ludacris) (1.611)
17. "Acid Tracks" - Phuture (1.619)
18. "He's So Fine" - The Chiffons (1.632)
19. "Police and Thieves" - Junior Murvin (1.643)
20. "Hung Up" - Madonna (1.647) tie
20. "King of the Road" - Roger Miller (1.647) tie

TOP TWENTY WORST-PERFORMING SONGS TO ADVANCE TO THE SECOND ROUND

1. "California Girls" - The Beach Boys (2.667) tie
1. "God" - John Lennon (2.667) tie
1. "One More Time" - Daft Punk (2.667) tie
4. "I Feel Love" - Donna Summer (2.75) tie
4. "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell (2.75) tie
6. "Heartbreak Hotel" - Elvis Presley (2.778)
7. "Fast Car" - Tracy Chapman (2.810)
8. "Genius of Love" - Tom Tom Club (2.813)
9. "Fortunate Son" - Creedence Clearwater Revival (2.842)
10. "Blowin' in the Wind" - Bob Dylan (2.85)
11. "Reelin' in the Years" - Steely Dan (2.857)
12. "Crying" - Roy Orbison (2.867)
13. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - Bob Dylan (2.882)
14. "Ashes to Ashes" - David Bowie (2.895)
15. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - The Byrds (2.9)
16. "Many Rivers to Cross" - Jimmy Cliff (2.941) tie
16. "I Only Have Eyes for You" - The Flamingos (2.941) tie
16. "Smokestack Lightning" - Howlin' Wolf (2.941) tie
16. "Think" - Aretha Franklin (2.941) tie
20. "Jumpin' Jack Flash" - The Rolling Stones (2.95)

TOP TWENTY BEST-PERFORMING SONGS TO BE ELIMINATED IN THE FIRST ROUND

1. "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley & the Wailers (3.059)
2. "I Can See for Miles" - The Who (3.053)
3. "Rid of Me" - PJ Harvey (3.036)
4. "Oliver's Army" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions (3.0) tie
4. "Atmosphere" - Joy Division (3.0) tie
6. "Walk on By" - Dionne Warwick (2.952)
7. "Sign 'o' the Times" - Prince (2.95)
8. "Don't Worry Baby" - The Beach Boys (2.941) tie
8. "Ace of Spades" - Motörhead (2.941) tie
8. "Down in the Tube Station at Midnight" - The Jam (2.941) tie
11. "The Sound of Silence" - Simon & Garfunkel (2.929)
12. "Iron Man" - Black Sabbath (2.9)
13. "Doo Wop (That Thing)" - Lauryn Hill (2.895)
14. "Born Slippy (Nuxx)" - Underworld (2.882) tie
14. "Pressure Drop" - Toots & the Maytals (2.882) tie
14. "Higher Ground" - Stevie Wonder (2.882) tie
14. "Follow the Leader" - Eric B. & Rakim (2.882) tie
18. "Something" - The Beatles (2.857) tie
18. "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" - The Walker Brothers (2.857) tie
20. "Everybody Hurts" - R.E.M. (2.842) tie
20. "Stronger" - Kanye West (2.842) tie

TWENTY LOWEST-RANKED SONGS TO ADVANCE TO THE SECOND ROUND

1. "Frankie Teardrop" - Suicide (ranked #990)
2. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - Bob Dylan (ranked #920)
3. "Ashes to Ashes" - David Bowie (#878)
4. "One More Time" - Daft Punk (#824)
5. "Pale Blue Eyes" - The Velvet Underground (#801)
6. "That's When I Reach for My Revolver" - Mission of Burma (#772)
7. "God" - John Lennon (#714)
8. "Karma Police" - Radiohead (#709)
9. "California Girls" - The Beach Boys (#696)
10. "Come as You Are" - Nirvana (#661)
11. "The Boxer" - Simon & Garfunkel (#657)
12. "So What" - Miles Davis (#636)
13. "Think" - Aretha Franklin (#630)
14. "Genius of Love" - Tom Tom Club (#595)
15. "Back on the Chain Gang" - Pretenders (#558)
16. "Reelin' in the Years" - Steely Dan (#449)
17. "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" - Stevie Wonder (#438)
18. "Clint Eastwood" - Gorillaz (#404)
19. "Smokestack Lightning" - Howlin' Wolf (#400)
20. "Fast Car" - Tracy Chapman (#392)

TWENTY HIGHEST-RANKED SONGS TO BE ELIMINATED IN THE FIRST ROUND

1. "Hey Jude" - The Beatles (#35)
2. "(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock" - Bill Haley & His Comets (#46)
3. "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" - Jerry Lee Lewis (#64)
4. "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley & the Wailers (#75)
5. "Mystery Train" - Elvis Presley (#83)
6. "Crazy in Love" - Beyoncé (Featuring Jay-Z) (#105)
7. "Walk on By" - Dionne Warwick (#109)
8. "Born Slippy (Nuxx)" - Underworld (#113)
9. "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" - Hank Williams (#118)
10. "Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who (#121)
11. "Eight Miles High" - The Byrds (#124)
12. "Family Affair" - Sly & the Family Stone (#127)
13. "Sign 'o' the Times" - Prince (#129)
14. "Sexual Healing" - Marvin Gaye (#138)
15. "Blitzkrieg Bop" - The Ramones (#145)
16. "Crazy" - Patsy Cline (#147)
17. "Don't Worry Baby" - The Beach Boys (#149)
18. "Like a Virgin" - Madonna (#172)
19. "How Soon Is Now?" - The Smiths (#175)
20. "Can't Get You Out of My Head" - Kylie Minogue (#176)

MORE STATISTICS

WHO GOT THE MOST CORRECT WINNERS THIS WEEK?
1. sonofsamiam (7 out of 8 - 87.5%)
2. Harold Wexler (6 out of 8 - 75%) tie
2. nicolas (6 out of 8 - 75%) tie
4. brose (5 out of 8 - 62.5%) tie
4. Greg (5 out of 8 - 62.5%) tie
6. Nassim (3 out of 5 - 60%)
7. Rune (4 out of 7 - 57.14%)
8. Lanka (4 out of 8 - 50%) tie
8. Midaso (4 out of 8 - 50%) tie
8. SR (4 out of 8 - 50%) tie
11. BillAdama (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
11. Matt Schroeder (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
11. pop elton (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
11. schleuse (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
15. Moonbeam (2 out of 8 - 25%)

OVERALL TOP TEN (BY PERCENTAGE)
1. Michael (15 out of 19 - 78.95%)
2. Honorio (6 out of 8 - 75%) tie
3. Mindrocker (6 out of 8 - 75%) tie
4. nicolas (67 out of 96 - 69.79%)
5. Alex D (49 out of 71 - 69.01%)
6. SR (54 out of 80 - 67.5%)
7. Harold Wexler (64 out of 96 - 66.67%) tie
7. Jackson (16 out of 24 - 66.67%) tie
8. Midaso (61 out of 96 - 63.54%)
9. brose (60 out of 96 - 62.5%) tie
9. Greg Rumpff (5 out of 8 - 62.5%) tie

OVERALL TOP TEN (BY NUMBER CORRECT)
1. nicolas (67)
2. Harold Wexler (64)
3. Midaso (61)
4. brose (60)
5. sonofsamiam (54) tie
5. SR (54) tie
7. BillAdama (53) tie
7. Matt Schroeder (53) tie
7. schleuse (53) tie
10. Alex D (49)

OVERALL BOTTOM TEN (BY PERCENTAGE) (a.k.a. "The Moonbeam Award")
1. Moonbeam (27 out of 84 - 32.14%)
2. Jeff (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
2. netjade (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
4. pop elton (37 out of 94 - 39.36%)
5. johan_at (2 out of 5 - 40%) tie
5. Rune (18 out of 45 - 40%) tie
7. Nassim (37 out of 87 - 42.53%)
8. The Lone Gunmen (20 out of 47 - 42.55%)
9. VanillaFire1000 (28 out of 63 - 44.44%)
10. Henrik (14 out of 31 - 45.16%)

I am absolutely shocked that I got the most winners this week, and that the one I didn't get was "In C", which actually came in 2nd! That placement, and "Frankie Teardrop" winning, surprised me greatly and brought a small tear to my eye.

Speaking of "In C", I wonder if it can be easily calculated as to what the most polarizing song in this poll is? It seemed that it was either 1 or 4 on nearly every ballot.

Matt Schroeder

OVERALL BOTTOM TEN (BY PERCENTAGE) (a.k.a. "The Moonbeam Award")

I love it!

Matt Schroeder
As promised, here are your...

STATISTICS

TOP TWENTY BEST-PERFORMING SONGS

1. "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay" - Otis Redding (3.905 points per ballot)
2. "Good Vibrations" - The Beach Boys (3.9)
3. "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (3.882)
4. "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" - The Four Tops (3.8)
5. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nirvana (3.778)
6. "All Along the Watchtower" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (3.75)
7. "You Really Got Me" - The Kinks (3.7)
8. "Crazy" - Gnarls Barkley (3.667) tie
8. "Georgia on My Mind" - Ray Charles (3.667) tie
10. "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast (3.65)
11. "'Heroes'" - David Bowie (3.611)
12. "Living for the City" - Stevie Wonder (3.588)
13. "Strawberry Fields Forever" - The Beatles (3.571) tie
13. "London Calling" - The Clash (3.571) tie
13. "Tomorrow Never Knows" - The Beatles (3.571) tie
16. "Heroin" - The Velvet Underground (3.556)
17. "Sweet Child o' Mine" - Guns n' Roses (3.533) tie
17. "Sabotage" - Beastie Boys (3.533) tie
19. "A Day in the Life" - The Beatles (3.529)
20. "Changes" - David Bowie (3.5)

TOP TWENTY WORST-PERFORMING SONGS

1. "Chime" - Orbital (1.176)
2. "Back in the Saddle Again" - Gene Autry (1.214)
3. "Donna" - Ritchie Valens (1.333)
4. "You're No Good" - Linda Ronstadt (1.35)
5. "Just the Way You Are" - Billy Joel (1.353)
6. "I Want It That Way" - Backstreet Boys (1.4)
7. "The Only One I Know" - The Charlatans (1.412)
8. "It's Too Soon to Know" - The Orioles (1.45)
9. "I Will Always Love You" - Whitney Houston (1.467)
10. "Crazy Arms" - Ray Price (1.474)
11. "Hot Stuff" - Donna Summer (1.529) tie
11. "Dry Your Eyes" - The Streets (1.529) tie
13. "Up on the Roof" - The Drifters (1.55)
14. "Hounds of Love" - The Futureheads (1.556)
15. "Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)" - Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel (1.571)
16. "Yeah!" - Usher (Featuring Lil' Jon & Ludacris) (1.611)
17. "Acid Tracks" - Phuture (1.619)
18. "He's So Fine" - The Chiffons (1.632)
19. "Police and Thieves" - Junior Murvin (1.643)
20. "Hung Up" - Madonna (1.647) tie
20. "King of the Road" - Roger Miller (1.647) tie

TOP TWENTY WORST-PERFORMING SONGS TO ADVANCE TO THE SECOND ROUND

1. "California Girls" - The Beach Boys (2.667) tie
1. "God" - John Lennon (2.667) tie
1. "One More Time" - Daft Punk (2.667) tie
4. "I Feel Love" - Donna Summer (2.75) tie
4. "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell (2.75) tie
6. "Heartbreak Hotel" - Elvis Presley (2.778)
7. "Fast Car" - Tracy Chapman (2.810)
8. "Genius of Love" - Tom Tom Club (2.813)
9. "Fortunate Son" - Creedence Clearwater Revival (2.842)
10. "Blowin' in the Wind" - Bob Dylan (2.85)
11. "Reelin' in the Years" - Steely Dan (2.857)
12. "Crying" - Roy Orbison (2.867)
13. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - Bob Dylan (2.882)
14. "Ashes to Ashes" - David Bowie (2.895)
15. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - The Byrds (2.9)
16. "Many Rivers to Cross" - Jimmy Cliff (2.941) tie
16. "I Only Have Eyes for You" - The Flamingos (2.941) tie
16. "Smokestack Lightning" - Howlin' Wolf (2.941) tie
16. "Think" - Aretha Franklin (2.941) tie
20. "Jumpin' Jack Flash" - The Rolling Stones (2.95)

TOP TWENTY BEST-PERFORMING SONGS TO BE ELIMINATED IN THE FIRST ROUND

1. "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley & the Wailers (3.059)
2. "I Can See for Miles" - The Who (3.053)
3. "Rid of Me" - PJ Harvey (3.036)
4. "Oliver's Army" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions (3.0) tie
4. "Atmosphere" - Joy Division (3.0) tie
6. "Walk on By" - Dionne Warwick (2.952)
7. "Sign 'o' the Times" - Prince (2.95)
8. "Don't Worry Baby" - The Beach Boys (2.941) tie
8. "Ace of Spades" - Motörhead (2.941) tie
8. "Down in the Tube Station at Midnight" - The Jam (2.941) tie
11. "The Sound of Silence" - Simon & Garfunkel (2.929)
12. "Iron Man" - Black Sabbath (2.9)
13. "Doo Wop (That Thing)" - Lauryn Hill (2.895)
14. "Born Slippy (Nuxx)" - Underworld (2.882) tie
14. "Pressure Drop" - Toots & the Maytals (2.882) tie
14. "Higher Ground" - Stevie Wonder (2.882) tie
14. "Follow the Leader" - Eric B. & Rakim (2.882) tie
18. "Something" - The Beatles (2.857) tie
18. "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" - The Walker Brothers (2.857) tie
20. "Everybody Hurts" - R.E.M. (2.842) tie
20. "Stronger" - Kanye West (2.842) tie

TWENTY LOWEST-RANKED SONGS TO ADVANCE TO THE SECOND ROUND

1. "Frankie Teardrop" - Suicide (ranked #990)
2. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - Bob Dylan (ranked #920)
3. "Ashes to Ashes" - David Bowie (#878)
4. "One More Time" - Daft Punk (#824)
5. "Pale Blue Eyes" - The Velvet Underground (#801)
6. "That's When I Reach for My Revolver" - Mission of Burma (#772)
7. "God" - John Lennon (#714)
8. "Karma Police" - Radiohead (#709)
9. "California Girls" - The Beach Boys (#696)
10. "Come as You Are" - Nirvana (#661)
11. "The Boxer" - Simon & Garfunkel (#657)
12. "So What" - Miles Davis (#636)
13. "Think" - Aretha Franklin (#630)
14. "Genius of Love" - Tom Tom Club (#595)
15. "Back on the Chain Gang" - Pretenders (#558)
16. "Reelin' in the Years" - Steely Dan (#449)
17. "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" - Stevie Wonder (#438)
18. "Clint Eastwood" - Gorillaz (#404)
19. "Smokestack Lightning" - Howlin' Wolf (#400)
20. "Fast Car" - Tracy Chapman (#392)

TWENTY HIGHEST-RANKED SONGS TO BE ELIMINATED IN THE FIRST ROUND

1. "Hey Jude" - The Beatles (#35)
2. "(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock" - Bill Haley & His Comets (#46)
3. "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" - Jerry Lee Lewis (#64)
4. "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley & the Wailers (#75)
5. "Mystery Train" - Elvis Presley (#83)
6. "Crazy in Love" - Beyoncé (Featuring Jay-Z) (#105)
7. "Walk on By" - Dionne Warwick (#109)
8. "Born Slippy (Nuxx)" - Underworld (#113)
9. "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" - Hank Williams (#118)
10. "Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who (#121)
11. "Eight Miles High" - The Byrds (#124)
12. "Family Affair" - Sly & the Family Stone (#127)
13. "Sign 'o' the Times" - Prince (#129)
14. "Sexual Healing" - Marvin Gaye (#138)
15. "Blitzkrieg Bop" - The Ramones (#145)
16. "Crazy" - Patsy Cline (#147)
17. "Don't Worry Baby" - The Beach Boys (#149)
18. "Like a Virgin" - Madonna (#172)
19. "How Soon Is Now?" - The Smiths (#175)
20. "Can't Get You Out of My Head" - Kylie Minogue (#176)

Sorry to bring up this week after such a long time, but you should do this for the entire first round as a whole.