Return to Website

The Magic of Yellowstone

A discussion forum on anything Yellowstone.

The Magic of Yellowstone
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: More on Yellowstone with kids

Thanks for your help on her question. I'm jealous that you are in Jackson, and I am here in Washington, DC.

Jim

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

re-read your post, and unfortunately there is a bit of driving always involved here.. for a close to town and very quick drive to the 'wilds', be sure to take 7 mile road out to Curtis Canyon, jsut a short drive puts you on the Elk Refuge, and a very short drive of one mile will put you amidst a herd of Bighorn Sheep that live on what is known as Gros Ventre Butte, very close to town... Many good trails and views from the Curtis Canyon campground, and very close to town... Another close but interesting drive is toards the town of Kelly, just north of town, take the Gros Ventre (pronounced Grow - Vaunt) junction and head east - that will take you to the center of the 'hole' where views are extremely good, as well as the resident Bison herd that ranges there... 200 or more buffalo grazing on the roadside, so close you can smell them - but stay in your car!!

I mentioned Teton Valley - a short 30 miles over the Teton Pass - head west on hwy 22 from JH, go through Wilson (cute town) then over the 9,000 ft pass to Idaho and Teton Valley... write me for more info on that side of the Teewinots (tetons - or 'craggy peaks' in Shoshone language)

Yellowstone itself is still showing the scars of the great fire back in 88... Traffic and Tourists will be a problem there, so time yourselves for a weekday visit and get there early to avoid crowds..

Replying to:

Howdy from Jackson Hole Wyoming! The snow is melting fast, white water is up and really moving fast. There is so much to do here, so many places to go, and so much to see.

Things to be aware of - bears - Get informed on the To Do and Not to Do lists while in bear country. It is serious, and all bear safety rules should be learned and adhered to for a safe, happy experience in the Teton and Yellowstone areas.

Also, Teton Valley, on the Idaho side of the Tetons, is a great way to access the Teton trails, and far less traveled, as Teton Valley (Driggs, Victor, and Tetonia are not advertised as Teton Access Routes as much as Jackson Hole).

Feel Free to contact me via email or this chat for more info or to answer any questions... have a safe trip!

Replying to:

We're planning a trip with my 7 yr old daughter and 9 yr old son. We live in Atlanta and this will be our first trip to the area. We plan to stay at the Snake River Lodge & Spa in Jackson Hole. We will have five days to explore the area and I want to make the best use of our time (without spending hours in the car each day). I know there are a couple of "must do/see" activities, but I would like to avoid every activity being where crowds of people are. I would love to know what the "must sees" are then what activities are fun without driving a great distance (i.e hikes, rafting, fishing), and would be less crowded than perhaps the most widely promoted areas. Also dining recommendations would be great. Thanks