Return to Website

The Magic of Yellowstone

A discussion forum on anything Yellowstone.

The Magic of Yellowstone
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Site News: Art page updated

Updating the art gallery fully would be a monstrous job that would require me to create separate pages for many separate individuals. When I began this page, Yellowstone art was scarce. Now, it is in great abundance. However, I cannot take that much time to develop that part of the site. Nevertheless, I had the urge to do more with it, and so I have. What I have done is make slight changes to the format of the art page, add substantially more links to images in the Ansel Adams and Frank Jay Haynes sections, add photographs of Jackson and Adams, and add a couple of links to sites that I really like that had a knack for combining Yellowstone history with its art. One of the pages, the Yellowstone Notebook run by Frank Markley is a real gem of a page. I think properly it should be called a Yellowstone folklore page (and Frank told me he liked that characterization), but if you visit it you will see why I include it in the art section.

Some day, I will try to seek out more paintings of Yellowstone. There are just too many photographs.

The Haynes shots are interesting because he turned many of his photos into color illustrations. Besides being the photographer for the Northern Pacific Railroad, Haynes was famous for his illustrated guide to the Park. His son Jack Ellis Haynes used to run photography stores in the Park. Those stores were eventually bought by Hamilton Stores. In the 1990s, the last of those stores were converted into so-called Nature stores. We seem to be further and further from the Haynes legacy, but it is fascinating to see so many people take an interest in it on the internet.

If anyone has a photograph or knows of where I can link to a photograph of Frank Jay Haynes, I would be much obliged.

As I said, there's a lot more I could add (of even the four artists I am using let alone the entire internet). I do think, however, it is a pretty decent catalogue.

Jim Macdonald