Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

Parts for sale / wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vokes filter ID plates new batch...maybe

Update on batch of repro Vokes desert filter ID plates.

Comparing pictures of repro's and original plates I got the impression (pun intended) that the original plate has a deeper etching.
Measuring a original one and a repro at Lex's place confirmed my suspicion.
See the pictures.
The etching on a original plate is almost twice as deep compared to a repro.

Original 0.31mm against a repro 0.16mm.

I have been in contact with Vintage Brass Plates about this.
Chris of Vintage Plates wrote me that it is possible to etch deeper but he added that it remains difficult to control the process.
:thinking_face:
To do it reasonably price wise he needs a order of at least 15 pieces.
Questions that remain for me; will he be able to get it right, and am I willing to take the plunge ?

Original-plate-0-31mm
Repro-plate-0-16mm

Until now I have 7 reservations for a new ID plate.
I will keep you all informed.
Yes, I am fully aware that this is uber rivet counting...:face_with_rolling_eyes:
If you can do it right, do it right.

email (option): vincent@vincentvanginneke.com

Re: Vokes filter ID plates new batch...maybe

Coming from a bloke who runs his Ariel W/NG with a Red Hunter engine! Only joking Vincent:innocent: :wink: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nothing wrong with that, Ron. This is the 720cc M20 forum, isn't it ? There wouldn't be many posters left if it wasn't.

:laughing: :laughing: Mine is only 600cc......But I have got a (Dare I say it?) B33 piston to take it to 633cc:zipper_mouth_face: Ron

Nothing wrong with 633cc as long as it's down to a 120mm stroke :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes Ron, mea culpa , mea maxima culpa !!
Trouble is, once you know it, the nagging starts.
As if Nothing else matters ...:smiley:

email (option): vincent@vincentvanginneke.com

It's odd, isn't it, how we can focus on tiny details and ignore other aspects ?

['Nothing wrong with that, Ron. This is the 720cc M20 forum, isn't it ? There wouldn't be many posters left if it wasn't....']

Then I think I'll have to go bigger than 720cc to provide some more posts....:laughing: ..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Rik
Nothing wrong with 633cc as long as it's down to a 120mm stroke :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Well as the M.20 bore and SWD Big 4 bore were both 82mm the stroke must be 120mm with a B33 piston I guess.

Keith the Bore and stroke of an M21 is 82mm x 112mm. Add the correct 85mm B33 piston for the extra 33cc. Ron

An M21 is actually 591cc, not 600cc...and 85 x 112 results in 635cc (rounding it down to a whole number) so there's actually 44cc extra to play with...:relaxed: .....Definitely enough to make a difference...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ron Pier
Keith the Bore and stroke of an M21 is 82mm x 112mm. Add the correct 85mm B33 piston for the extra 33cc. Ron
There I was thinking he has had some special flywheels and conrod made. As the stroke is only 112mm rather than the 120mm on the Big 4 you must miss the firing every other lamp post of the Norton.

Nieuwe pagina 1