Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

Parts for sale / wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lucas 8 inch Headlight rim wanted

I am looking for an 8 inch flat glass lucas headlight rim if anyone can help please? Fits the Matchless G3WO. thanks

email (option): andrew.honychurch@gmail.com

Re: Lucas 8 inch Headlight rim wanted

Hi,
Are you looking for a rim with the "W" clip or just the normal one?

Regards,
Bastiaan

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

you got me there Bastiaan! Please can you explain the difference? Of course the glass will be held in by the W clips, I assume? My original headlight body had a later rim and domed glass fitted, very nice but not correct. All advice much appreciated. thx Andrew

The 'W' that Bastiaan is referring to is the shape of the clip at the bottom of the rim that the screw goes through as used on WD bikes. The other type is the usual spring clip. Ron

DSCF2150

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron. Well of course I would like the W clip then. Picked up a genuine frosted glass with clear centre today so keen to get the correct t rim if possible

Hi Andrew,

The rim with the "W" fitting can only be applied to the correct shell. There is a difference between the normal spring clip shell and the shell for the "W" clip.

The red shell in the photo below is for the spring fitting and the other one is for the "W" clip. I advise you to check which shell you have before looking for the correct rim.

I have a rim available for the spring clip.

20200517-084446

20200517-084422

Regards,
Bastiaan

Bastiaan I've fitted the 'W' clip to several standard shells. No modification the the shell, although you are left with the two spring wire thingies which you can't really see......Still waiting for the two coming from you. Ron

Ok Ron, but indeed you are left with the 2 hole's of the spring. Postage is nowadays a bit of a challenge, normally it take's 2 to 3 days for postage from NLD to the UK. Now it can take up to a month.

Regards,
Bastiaan

First I cannot see the difference between these two. Second how do we load photos on the forum please ?

Andrew,
See the attached photo below. The hole's in the green circles should not be there in an original shell with the "W" clip. That is the diffetence between the 2 diffetent headlights and in the photo's.

Regards,
Bastiaan

20200517-225730

I use this site https://imgbb.com/ copy and paste the HTML full linked code from the menu.

Ron

Ah. I saw the holes but thought they were damage ! Duh I have the W clip Thanks

Bastiaan, I also never received the clip I ordered from you and you sent that on the 1pth of January. Probably lost in the post but if Ron's are missing as well it doesn't sound good.

Ian, send you an mail.

Received the W clip thanks Bastian. Are these held in to the rim in any way? I see there is a hole on the bracket but no corresponding hole in my rim. It will just fall out if its not held to the rim somehow? rivet?

It is a rivet Andrew, but I use a 6BA dome slot headed screw and nut for fear of buggering it up with a hammer. The only time you'll ever see it is if it's upside down in a ditch. :zipper_mouth_face: Ron

I was rather hoping my days of being upside down in a ditch are past me but I suppose one never knows! Thanks Ron as always the font of all knowledge 👍👍

Ron I just had a go at making my own clips, you know what I’m like :)
Is the other clip also riveted on the bowel?

Barry

No Barry it has to swing in the slot. There might be a straight piece of spring wire as a retainer but I've never bothered with it. It can't be pushed inside the headlamp all the while the screw is left in it. Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1