Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

Parts for sale / wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Short side stand wanted - BSA M20

Hi all

I have a complete long side stand assy to trade for/swap for a short stand set up required for an early deluxe project

The stand is in excellent condition

Contact me if you can help

Many thanks

Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Re: Short side stand wanted - BSA M20

I thought the main difference was the length of the side stand stick in which case I would have thought that would be relatively easy to shorten as I think the tube was brazed to the casting and maybe have been pinned first. Perhaps there is more to it than that as I know some rear frame sections had an integral lug to take the short side stand but perhaps some early rear frames did not have this lug.

I have what I believe is an early M.20 rear frame with no pillion footrest lugs but also no lug for the side stand and intended to fit the short side stand with the later long stand assembly fittings.

Hi Keith
1st condition stand
was clamped to the frame - using same clamp as seen later on the long stand
2nd condition stand
still short - used a frame mounted lug
3rd condition stand
now long - used a clamp again & was seen with introduction of pannier frames & bags

So - short & long are different in
Length
Head shape of the stand where it fits the knuckle is different
The “stop” at the bottom is fully round & has no cut away like the long type

In addition, the knuckle on the short stand has a different shape & cut away angle to the long knuckle - it’s possible to make short from a long, but unless metal is added - not possible or easy make a long from a short - I think it due to the fact the angle of usage is so much more on the short stand v long stand

Br
Job

Hi Keith

I meant to ask about your rear frame section

Are you keeping this or looking for a later version with foot pegs

Br
Job

Here's a short one I used to own for reference, wish I'd kept it now.

Rob

DSCF3994

DSCF3995

DSCF3997

Propstandpivot

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

John O’Brien
Hi Keith

I meant to ask about your rear frame section

Are you keeping this or looking for a later version with foot pegs

Br
Job
Firstly John - thanks for providing the detail regarding the differences between the various side stands. I spent ages trying to find my first one in the 1970s as most seemed to have been removed and dumped once the bike came out of military use.

Over the years though I have built up a decent collection of M.20 spares some of which went on restoring other WD M.20s before being sold on to fund other projects - if you own AFB 481 then that was the last M.20 I sold.

Anyway I have most parts to build an early M.20 which includes the rear frame without pillion footrest lugs so I am afraid it is not for sale or exchange. However, if you are short of a rear lifting stay with the integral brazed lug that carries the side stand clip I think I may have a spare. However, my spare side stand stick for my early M.20 appears to be the later type so that will need some attention I guess.

Hi rob

Thanks for the photos - the picture of the knuckle is the best I have to date - this should allow for a mod to be done on the long type knuckles I have

Br
Job

Hi Keith

Not planning to but I do - have 3 x early m20 projects all requiring I believe no frame integrated foot rest brackets

One rear frame section I have had the brackets removed - although I would prefer an original period frame and preserve the later war types - needs must

On the subject of lifting handles - there are different versions of the early type - all are different in length - if your handle is available - I would be interested length dependent

I have 2 of the 3 differing lengths Here

Maybe you could pm me on my mail address - if you have other parts I might be interested in those if available

Br
Job

Good Evening John

Just to let you know I have sent you an e.mail. If you have not received it let me know and I will try again.

Nieuwe pagina 1