Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

Parts for sale / wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
16h frame parts needed

I have a 16h frame that has had the circled area cut off. Does anyone have a frame that is beyond salvage that has these castings. Does anyone know of of someone out there who has done 16h frame castings.

Thanks,
Ben.

C938-C251-8-F56-45-F3-8-D39-8202-A6341-C32
F4-F2-E638-10-A1-4-A5-E-AFAF-25-B909-EF7-D89

email (option): benjamincameron@gmail.com

Re: 16h frame parts needed

What a shame, it looks as though someone has taken the easy way to remove the gearbox ie. with a hacksaw or cutting torch. I think a frame will be hard to find unless one that's had a front end shunt turns up. The lugs that are missing are quite simple and could be fabricated from steel stock or carved, with hacksaw files and grinder, or machined from the solid. Assemble the engine into the frame with the engine/gearbox plates and you have a datum point to fit the missing part to.

I notice the forks are suffering from collapsed spring syndrome, and appear to have some of the coils welded together, never seen that done before

Best wishes
Tony

Tony Leedal
What a shame, it looks as though someone has taken the easy way to remove the gearbox ie. with a hacksaw or cutting torch. I think a frame will be hard to find unless one that's had a front end shunt turns up. The lugs that are missing are quite simple and could be fabricated from steel stock or carved, with hacksaw files and grinder, or machined from the solid. Assemble the engine into the frame with the engine/gearbox plates and you have a datum point to fit the missing part to.

I notice the forks are suffering from collapsed spring syndrome, and appear to have some of the coils welded together, never seen that done before

Best wishes
Tony
I cannot tell from the angle of the photo but is the centre downtube lug complete with the top mounting for the gearbox and oil tank support - if that has been butchered I have a spare to at least get you started. Let me know if this will help you.

Thanks for the replies Fellas.

Agreed Tony, it does seem a previous owner decided that the hacksaw route was easier. The engine plates and gearbox came with the frame and about 60% of the bike. Fabrication was going to be the next step if this shout out came up empty. I have two other 16h frames with which to take a pattern.
Good eyes Keith and yes the oil tank support has suffered the same fate the mounts. What was left of the support was included with the project. Thanks for the offer but I have another butchered lump that includes this casting. With that one again a previous owner decided the easiest way of removing an engine and gearbox was to cut the front and centre downtube😥.

Regards,

Ben.

Yeah that front spring is something else! Good for another 60 years I’d say👍

Ben Cameron
Thanks for the replies Fellas.

Agreed Tony, it does seem a previous owner decided that the hacksaw route was easier. The engine plates and gearbox came with the frame and about 60% of the bike. Fabrication was going to be the next step if this shout out came up empty. I have two other 16h frames with which to take a pattern.
Good eyes Keith and yes the oil tank support has suffered the same fate the mounts. What was left of the support was included with the project. Thanks for the offer but I have another butchered lump that includes this casting. With that one again a previous owner decided the easiest way of removing an engine and gearbox was to cut the front and centre downtube😥.

Regards,

Ben.
Ben - rather than cut up another damaged 16H frame to obtain the centre tube lug that supports the top of the gearbox and oil tank I have a couple of these lugs in first class condition and you are welcome to one of them for the cost of the postage or if you are local you can call by and pick it up. Just a thought and no obligation at all but it might help save another frame.

All the best.

Hey Keith,

This is the lump that I mentioned. There is no frame to speak of other than the bottom end of the front and centre down tube. But on second thoughts I will take you up on your offer so as to keep this lump together. Will send a PM.

C9-CDC13-A-0-A3-A-48-C6-A842-D63-EE02474-A5

Hey Keith can shoot me an email.

Thanks,

Ben.

Ben I tried that earlier today and it was picked by someone in Sydney Australia - I jest you not and he said it had happened before so something going on with your e.mails. best therefore you e.mail me at keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

PM Sent👍

email (option): benjamincameron75@gmail.com

That "lump" looks familiar Ben

email (option): taybrig@shaw.ca

Ben, I see you've got the windows taped up, expecting an air raid are you?

Ben Cameron
PM Sent👍
Thanks Ben - received and replied to.

That is so sad to see someone has cut the frame away from the engine and gearbox like that. What a waste, 😟 especially as the frame is worth more than the engine and box

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Sadly that happened to 'a one owner from new' (who still had it) Norton Commando in my area...That was what he got back about 18 months after the bike was stolen....He genuinely could barely deal with the loss of the bike mentally...

I confess, when I think about the two bikes I've owned for 40 years I don't like to imagine that scenario myself...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Tony Leedal
Ben, I see you've got the windows taped up, expecting an air raid are you?
Haha.... your right. Can’t say I noticed that until you mentioned it!

email (option): benjamincameron75@gmail.com

Horror
That is so sad to see someone has cut the frame away from the engine and gearbox like that. What a waste, 😟 especially as the frame is worth more than the engine and box
I suspect this and the other damaged frame have been like this for decades. It was common practice for motorcycle breakers and private owners in the 50s and 60s to cut out engines and gear boxes and cut frames at the steering head to save the forks without the trouble of dismantling them.
The frames were worth nowt and took up room, especially if you only had a small shed in the garden, but an engine, gearbox and maybe a spare pair of forks could be squirrelled away under the bench or a tarpaulin in the garden, the frame? Bury it, or leave for the dustman. Different times.

Helping a friend back in the 70's to level an area of his fathers garden in readiness for a patio, we dug up what turned out to be a complete Norton 16H...

It was fairly crusty and you could buy old bikes pretty cheap so it went back into its resting place.....It's probably still there now... I bought a complete pre featherbed ES2 around that time for £15, a model 120 Panther for a tenner and two ex AA plunger M21 outfits for £45. Just a few of many and I also had a number of bikes given to me by owners who just wanted to get rid of them....

That made the 16H worth nothing effectively...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

i have a Matchless G80s like that,engine,g,box partial frame cut at the front and the back frame, still has the centre stand, when i said to the owner that it was too bad someone cut it up he replied that was a glass half empty point of view, instead be thankful that the whole bike hadnt been scrapped......glass half full......so i bought it

email (option): taybrig@shaw.ca

Nieuwe pagina 1